Sound Update (PD is now hiring! + Email!)Answered 

• Thread starter FoRiZon
  • 1,262 comments
Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif
Epic reply. That guy just got ignored.

It's no secret that some of the original cars are ported to the new game so are the origanal sounds and looks ...and it's not surprising that things were done differently back then but as the technology has developed so have the new cars....there was no 5.1 or DTS back in the early days ... But I have tried all the cars in the game every single one so far..and none of them sound like vacum cleaners...that's just plain rude to say...even my 10 year old son has realised you can't get all around sound from 2 speakers on your TV set And this will become even more complex as we move to Virtual reality immersion.be cause the all around sound has to move in accordance with your head movement..this is more in line with what their working on right now.

I have got a surround sound system. It still doesn't make the Corvette C5-R sound any more like a V8. It doesn't make an Aventador sound any more like a V12. It doesn't make the gear-changes sound any less digital and artificial, or suddenly add in missing effects (like exhaust crackle). Also, if you insist that every car doesn't sound like a vacuum cleaner, please try the BMW Z4 GT3. It doesn't even sound remotely like a car. Even the very best sounds in the game sound too synthesised (e.g. LFA, Gallardo, 787B). The only saving grace is that the new Red Bull sounds are unlike any others in the game, and are so different they are possibly the new sound generation system said to be under development (and sound far better than anything in the "old" system).

I'd like to see something similar to the Shift series in terms of sounds.

I like the way Slightly Mad Studios went with their sound in Shift and PCars. Gear whining on race cars should be overpowering, the interior is stripped with barely any soundproofing. For example.

ZOMG....please, he hasn't been asked yet about the sounds in GT6...

There are SO many things we need to know about and only so many questions we can ask, but... common sense on the intranets? That would require an act of God.

I'd like to see something similar to the Shift series in terms of sounds.

I like the way Slightly Mad Studios went with their sound in Shift and PCars. Gear whining on race cars should be overpowering, the interior is stripped with barely any soundproofing. For example.

that is exactly what i meant with realistic+immersive sound, and the poor youtube quality shows how it would sound an everybodys tv.
gtr2 for pc(2006 pc sim with weather changes, day night cycle, etc, using an super old f1 challenge engine(ps2/pc game)) sounds pretty close to this even it doesn´t even support 5.1 or more than 32 channels.
with decent(high bandwith) recordings and a nice stup at home this would beat all real racing games out there sound wise.
and yes i would prefer realistic sound over gt" to death filtered sounds and copy paste stuff" or forza´s v8 soundsimulator.

Well....this what I got to say about the sound to all you sheep....

We're already off to a fantastic start with this one, aren't we?

To all the people who say like a vacuum cleaner your just plain rude nothing in the game sounds anything like a vacuum cleaner I suggest you've never even actually used one....

*You're.

And rude as opposed to your opening statement of referring to people as sheep? How laughably hypocritical of you.

To all the people with comparison videos....I have never seen one done properly including the one posted here...he couldn't even be bothered to turn of the terrible jazz music and the sound quality is terrible ..not even worth the effort as far as I"m concerned...
Recording sounds out of your TV set is ridicules....I suggest the reason maybe sounds from other games sound better for you are they are not real and are spoofed up for you pleasure and lack of reasonable equipment

They are not real? Spoofed up?

What?

Personally I've never had any worries with sound maybe because a never play without my very expensive sound system on very loud...to me all the sounds you would expect are there..gear shift clunk,tyre scrub...wind rattle..even cars coming up behind and all the cars sound individual...

Where would this argument be if not for cliche "I use my expensive sound system" retort?

I'm going to say this for your own benefit just in case you already aren't aware: the sound system being used does not change the samples mixed via the audio engine.

I'm expecting you all have expensive tv"s to take advantage of the brilliant picture quality what would be the point otherwise.

Audio doesn't work that way.

I've said it before if your not prepared to spend more money on your sound system as you spent on the came and ps3 together then you get what you get.

Again, a better sound experience does not change the fundamental flaws within GT's own (admittedly flawed) sound engine. At least you're being consistent so I'll give you two points for that at the very least.

As for an update I only ever heard Kaz say we probably need to sex thing up a bit!
I hope don't .

Get a grip put half as much effort in to getting your sound right as they do then see how you go instead of sitting back and hoping it's going to come to you...and stop being insulting...and ask a serious question to the man that does his best to give you so much....

Fools!

You're holding on to this "don't be insulting" crutch as if you're not doing the exact same thing in your frivolous rebuttal.

Drop the attitude or you won't be around much longer. That's not an insult, that's a practical guarantee.

So insulting the man is ok any one can say what they want about him...
But insulting the members is not aloud....what they ever do but complain to deserve that kind of respect...it's up to u terry ban me if it makes you feel big...or be sensible...

We're already off to a fantastic start with this one, aren't we?

*You're.

And rude as opposed to your opening statement of referring to people as sheep? How laughably hypocritical of you.

They are not real? Spoofed up?

What?

Where would this argument be if not for cliche "I use my expensive sound system" retort?

I'm going to say this for your own benefit just in case you already aren't aware: the sound system being used does not change the samples mixed via the audio engine.

Audio doesn't work that way.

Again, a better sound experience does not change the fundamental flaws within GT's own (admittedly flawed) sound engine. At least you're being consistent so I'll give you two points for that at the very least.

You're holding on to this "don't be insulting" crutch as if you're not doing the exact same thing in your frivolous rebuttal.

Drop the attitude or you won't be around much longer. That's not an insult, that's a practical guarantee.

So insulting the man is ok any one can say what they want about him...
But insulting the members is not aloud....what they ever do but complain to deserve that kind of respect...it's up to u terry ban me if it makes you feel big...or be sensible...

There's a difference between endlessly moaning and being insulting, and having a legitimate complaint. The sound issue is one that you would struggle to argue is not a sensible complaint. The majority of members here express this complaint in a sensible way, but occasionally, some don't.

Don't tar all users with the same brush, however. It doesn't make anyone who disagrees "sheep", "fools" or whatever other ridiculous, sweeping insult you choose to brand these "insulting" people with, just because they have a reasonable complaint and want to make their voices heard.

There's a difference between endlessly moaning and being insulting, and having a legitimate complaint. The sound issue is one that you would struggle to argue is not a sensible complaint. The majority of members here express this complaint in a sensible way, but occasionally, some don't.

Don't tar all users with the same brush, however. It doesn't make anyone who disagrees "sheep", "fools" or whatever other ridiculous, sweeping insult you choose to brand these "insulting" people with, just because they have a reasonable complaint and want to make their voices heard.

The constant reference to sound like a vacuum cleaner and they don't now what there doing...and there morons ...is upsetting to me and I,m sure to PD also....is to much to ask you all to consider some other questions...this is the crooks of my post..my opinions of the sound issue is my opinion....like if you want or ignore it or challenge my technical ability as a sound engineer...but don't take it personally...that's it on the subject...for me...

The constant reference to sound like a vacuum cleaner and they don't now what there doing...and there morons ...is upsetting to me and I,m sure to PD also....is to much to ask you all to consider some other questions...this is the crooks of my post..my opinions of the sound issue is my opinion....like if you want or ignore it or challenge my technical ability as a sound engineer...but don't take it personally...that's it on the subject...for me...

I think people are simply a bit fed up with the whole sound side of the game. It's difficult to not resort to anger when the same problems appear time and time again, from GT1 right the way through to GT6. It always gets blamed on hardware limitations, or time constraints, and nothing changes. I can understand why people are angry. That, however, is a good thing. Where there is clear dissatisfaction with an element of the game (and any PDI employee can see this in the sound threads on this forum), understanding just how many people are complaining, and the degree to which they complain, might one day make the developers realise there is a problem - they do actually look at this forum.

People aren't being insulting because they like it, it's because they want the best from the developers, understandably, and there comes a point where simply saying "I hope the sounds will be improved in the next game" won't suffice, because we can't be certain they will. The fans just want the best they can get out of PDI, and rightly so. You want people to consider a different question, but why aren't they allowed to voice their biggest concern? For me, it is one of the biggest shortcomings of the game, as it always has been. Again, just because you don't see the fairly fundamental issues with the sound doesn't mean others can't. You don't need to be a professional sound engineer to notice that the BMW Z4 GT3 doesn't sound like a car at all, let alone the correct one.

I think people are simply a bit fed up with the whole sound side of the game. It's difficult to not resort to anger when the same problems appear time and time again, from GT1 right the way through to GT6. It always gets blamed on hardware limitations, or time constraints, and nothing changes. I can understand why people are angry. That, however, is a good thing. Where there is clear dissatisfaction with an element of the game (and any PDI employee can see this in the sound threads on this forum), understanding just how many people are complaining, and the degree to which they complain, might one day make the developers realise there is a problem - they do actually look at this forum.

People aren't being insulting because they like it, it's because they want the best from the developers, understandably, and there comes a point where simply saying "I hope the sounds will be improved in the next game" won't suffice, because we can't be certain they will. The fans just want the best they can get out of PDI, and rightly so. You want people to consider a different question, but why aren't they allowed to voice their biggest concern? For me, it is one of the biggest shortcomings of the game, as it always has been. Again, just because you don't see the fairly fundamental issues with the sound doesn't mean others can't. You don't need to be a professional sound engineer to notice that the BMW Z4 GT3 doesn't sound like a car at all, let alone the correct one.

that's all good but being angry at PD won't fix it....remember the other big complaint ...they don't care and never talk to us...well this is our chance...it's not them and us were all in it together...be kind he's doing is bit we should do ours...be sensible and remember he might actually take the time to read our posts...lets not scare him away....love and peace gets things done not hate and war....

biftizmo
Personally I've never had any worries with sound maybe because a never play without my very expensive sound system on very loud

I know you've had a lot of replies to your comment already, but this is not true. I'm not going to play a "My stereo is bigger and better than yours" game, I'll just say that it's made of high end, world reknowned components and capable of whopping out well in excess of 140db below 30HZ.

The game does not sound good at all especially if I have just finished driving around in Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom Experience and others. Even Assetto Corsa sounds quite digital, but at least it sounds like the real thing, and one of GT's biggest problems (apart from the awful engine sound samples) is the lack of detail; no squeaks; no chassis noise; nothing clattering around in the cockpit; no sounds from the brakes; no backfire that is remotely accurate; no sound of rubber marbles, kurbs or tarmac hitting the underside of the car...

I could go on further, but it shows how much is missing. It wouldn't be so bad if we had cars that sounded like cars, they sound like pure digital synthesization. It doesn't matter how good the sound system is if the initial source is of poor quality. Hooking up a mobile phone and playing a 128kbps MP3 through a fancy system is still going to sound nasty.

I know you've had a lot of replies to your comment already, but this is not true. I'm not going to play a "My stereo is bigger and better than yours" game, I'll just say that it's made of high end, world reknowned components and capable of whopping out well in excess of 140db below 30HZ.

The game does not sound good at all especially if I have just finished driving around in Assetto Corsa, RaceRoom Experience and others. Even Assetto Corsa sounds quite digital, but at least it sounds like the real thing, and one of GT's biggest problems (apart from the awful engine sound samples) is the lack of detail; no squeaks; no chassis noise; nothing clattering around in the cockpit; no sounds from the brakes; no backfire that is remotely accurate; no sound of rubber marbles, kurbs or tarmac hitting the underside of the car...

I could go on further, but it shows how much is missing. It wouldn't be so bad if we had cars that sounded like cars, they sound like pure digital synthesization. It doesn't matter how good the sound system is if the initial source is of poor quality. Hooking up a mobile phone and playing a 128kbps MP3 through a fancy system is still going to sound nasty.

Only 587 people agree on this post so it's not not even the majority on GTP that agree...can I just say that I bought my expensive system specifically take advantage of the sounds that are in GT...I agree with the last part of your post..but I" m sure PD put a lot more effort into sound than some people are suggesting...the digitalisation of the Hudson showed us that they do some quite extensive recordings. some how it's not coming across to some off you...please consider some of my other questions I posted too

Last edited:
Alright, I completely agree with most of what is said about the sound on Gt6.

I have defended this game from people who say that this game is a stop off or a go between till the next installment on the PS4, some kind of excuse for the GT team to make money on a "Sub-standard" game. As I said, I believe in this game, the passion of people that love driving as well as the cars.

Passion has to be felt.
Not just made prettier, with a new physics for the handling. The sound is, and to be honest, has always been a pretty big gripe of mine. Cars that should have demon sounding engines and exhaust notes sound positively lame.

I love this game, I know one guy who only bought the PS3 only to play GT5 which was the only game he ever played in 5 years, which I believe is a credit to the game.
Problems like the sound should not be part of the game. If there is a fix, patch or whatever the team are going to call it, then for the good of the game and the series make it happen.

On a side note, the modders among us would like to have the ability to shift the exhaust note, there have been different types fixed to the: sports, semi-racing, and racing mods. However, there are companies that produce the same performance exhaust that have different notes. Meaning you could have a bunch of the same cars that sound different to personal preference of the driver.
After all, imagine modifying a car in the game then building it to drive around each day. I love driving my RS6 in and out of the game.
With that in mind, I'm sure performance and modding companies would benefit from people trying out there products in game.

Seems like good sense to me.

It's still louder than any street car engine with stock exhaust at any RPM. And how would you "turn it down"?

Not sure if you have driven a street car with normal road tyres on a circuit but tyre noise is quite loud. But anyway I just turn engine volume up and sound effects down in the sound setting and that helps a bit

I think the words you meant to use are a distinct minority and frequently.

Only 587 people agree on this post so it's not not even the majority on GTP that agree...can I just say that I bought my expensive system specifically take advantage of the sounds that are in GT...I agree with the last part of your post..but I" m sure PD put a lot more effort into sound than some people are suggesting...the digitalisation of the Hudson showed us that they do some quite extensive recordings. some how it's not coming across to some off you...please consider some of my other questions I posted too

They deserve being called the "vacuum cleaners" and WILL be called like that until they fixed this.

The sound in this game is so bad it's famous. I'm sure people don't actually mean they use "vacuum cleaners" - only you assumed that in your Ultra GT Defense Super Sayan Rage Mode.

It's often encountered in less intelligent people to assume stupid and/or simplistic reasoning in others.

Yes they record and mix - we all know that. The end result is lifeless and digital.

Flash news - you're in extreme minority - every forum, every video, every gaming site, every article - you can see people (rightfully) complaining about the sound. Poor sales are also the results of them. You can say what you want - the sounds are a joke.

Here..crank that whooosh up.

This resembles a vacuum cleaner and sounds NOTHING like the real car

Quoting reviews

IGN - "On the topic of unwelcome returns, sound continues to be a major problem. There’s very little bark or bite to the muted engine notes; it’s disheartening to slip into a favourite car expecting a high-revving snarl and getting a soft and feeble digital buzz. The collision noise is still the same old hollow thud, and sounds like someone tossed an empty refrigerator box into a stairwell."

Gamespot - "Powerful supercars still sound like lawnmowers and hairdryers."

InsideSimRacing (racing channel/website) -

"Probably the worst in sim racing on any system. Tire sounds are pretty good and the heavy contact sounds although weird, makes a buttkicker thump. They also promised a patch that addressed the vacuum cleaner engine sounds, but I’m very disappointed that they haven’t fixed this at least on premium cars, or at least a handful of cars as a test. They have come out with 4 patches and every time there’s a new one, Im hoping for that fix. Nothing yet and very disappointed that this hasn’t been addressed."

Last edited:
Look at the numbers regarding the most important fix about GT for the "guru" to answer.... "distinct minorities" seriously? make a poll and let see what comes up, Mr D. On this subject you just play the devil advocate because it is just indefensible, period!

I think the words you meant to use are a distinct minority and frequently.

We have been saying this since GT3. It's not that hard to make an analog sound bit to digital. The sounds could be recorded digitally as well. I have a home recording studio and I do it all the time. I'm sure that PD could designate 1 person to go to a qualifying session at any of the race tracks to get sounds from actual cars from start up the full song on the race track. A prime example would be the Pirelli World Sports car races. There are multiple classes that run these races. Plenty of CTSVs, Camaros, Vettes, Boss Mustangs, Audis, Porsches and on. Kaz goes to Le Mans so there is another place to get actual race car sounds. Enough said.

The. expensive 1.21 gigawatts sound system argument, I will never understand it.
A good guitar player can do amazing stuff with a 5w mini amp, it's all about the input.
This.

Sound system isn't relevant to the sound input. A 5000$ 500 GigaWatts Speaker from Arabian Prince wouldn't change the Z4 GT3 sound from the grunting exhaust into a smooth V8.
Or make the Sauber C9 from the trumpet into a proper V8 (There I dodge the "vacuum" bullet). It only makes them disturbingly more "detailed" and louder.

Its all about input. The software that provide the sound that matters the most. Granted like I said some are already realistic. Most of them however.....

Last edited:
Look at the numbers regarding the most important fix about GT for the "guru" to answer.... "distinct minorities" seriously? make a poll and let see what comes up, Mr D. On this subject you just play the devil advocate because it is just indefensible, period!
You clearly missed the words I quoted, so maybe I should bold the ones that are significant to the point:
The majority of members here express this complaint in a sensible way, but occasionally, some don't.
Yeah, every car sounds like a swarm of locusts or something, totally legit criticism. :rolleyes:

You clearly missed the words I quoted, so maybe I should bold the ones that are significant to the point:

Yeah, every car sounds like a swarm of locusts or something, totally legit criticism. :rolleyes:

Please explain what is your point and where are you going with this. You do realize that people are purposely exaggerating to emphasis the quality of the sound in GT6 IN GENERAL.

It's a joke - just like the audio compartment.

The BMW above and many others sounds extremely digital hence the "vacuum cleaners". Their criticism is also valid. One don't need to be a chef to go into restaurant and like or dislike food served to them.

I also don't see that much of the name calling - it's mostly "yeah sounds need an update".

The expensive 1.21 gigawatts sound system argument, I will never understand it.
A good guitar player can do amazing stuff with a 5w mini amp, it's all about the input.
I agree that using expensive gear is not a fix for the inaccuracies in GT's sound.

However, using the right settings for your hardware can help a lot. It seems many people have their output set to multichannel of some kind, but only have stereo speakers. The game naïvely obeys, and they only get front-left and front-right channels out of the game. Previously this meant only the whizzy engine loops could be heard, i.e. no exhaust - unless you chose a view where the exhaust was in front of you (chase), or mixed more omni-directionally (roof). I think now the interior / "bumper" cam mix is fixed and also a bit omni-directional, but you still need to select the right output, or ensure you have stereo downmixing on your hardware.

As for the amp analogy, any good guitarist will tell you it's about the whole signal chain, including feedback to his / her ears. Add a 200 ms pure delay (not a multi-tap) to the signal, they'll probably be fine; up that to half a second or more, and they'll be fighting against themselves. Like playing Guitar Hero with really bad latency.

I include listening environment in the "complete chain", too. If you've got a noisy environment, you won't get any benefit from accurate hardware or realistic mixing. You need exaggerated sounds in those situations. This is why options matter, options like a selectable dynamic range...

I agree that using expensive gear is not a fix for the inaccuracies in GT's sound.

However, using the right settings for your hardware can help a lot. It seems many people have their output set to multichannel of some kind, but only have stereo speakers. The game naïvely obeys, and they only get front-left and front-right channels out of the game. Previously this meant only the whizzy engine loops could be heard, i.e. no exhaust - unless you chose a view where the exhaust was in front of you (chase), or mixed more omni-directionally (roof). I think now the interior / "bumper" cam mix is fixed and also a bit omni-directional, but you still need to select the right output, or ensure you have stereo downmixing on your hardware.

As for the amp analogy, any good guitarist will tell you it's about the whole signal chain, including feedback to his / her ears. Add a 200 ms pure delay (not a multi-tap) to the signal, they'll probably be fine; up that to half a second or more, and they'll be fighting against themselves. Like playing Guitar Hero with really bad latency.

I include listening environment in the "complete chain", too. If you've got a noisy environment, you won't get any benefit from accurate hardware or realistic mixing. You need exaggerated sounds in those situations. This is why options matter, options like a selectable dynamic range...

Regarding the missing engine sounds, I had a that on a few occasions in GT6, where I would only hear
the gearbox whine, then suddenly on the 2nd lap the engine sound came back.
I have a 5.1 DTS system, it's not the most expensive one, but it gets the job done. :)
That issue never happened in GT5.

Regarding the missing engine sounds, I had a that on a few occasions in GT6, where I would only hear
the gearbox whine, then suddenly on the 2nd lap the engine sound came back.
I have a 5.1 DTS system, it's not the most expensive one, but it gets the job done. :)
That issue never happened in GT5.
That's a different thing again, I think. The game is failing to initialise / stream certain sounds sometimes. That's part of the continuous improvements PD have been making to the sound engine, as stupid as it sounds. It implies the game can pick and choose which sounds to play as-and-when, which is a very useful thing to do in complex "scenes" on relatively limited hardware. It just doesn't work properly for everyone yet (it's only happened to me twice).

Back