Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo Sport' started by GTPNewsWire, Mar 26, 2019.

1. phil_75

phil_75

2. Lazybike

Lazybike

I guess FIA involvement is a double edged sword, it's great that it legitimise's esport, but they want their say on tracks etc..

3. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Arent these games like many multiple 10s of millions USD to make?

eg. we know something like GTA5 cost $300 mil.

Surely then every iteration of Forza FM or FH or GT5/6 would at least be in the $10-$20 mil. each? More? Wouldnt be less.

So in that light, how much can a track cost to license? Cant be that much in the overall scheme of things?

4. aguia

aguia

Multilicate this post,,,

5. GTCam

GTCam Premium

Interesting that PD would spend time and effort rescanning the track, and/or updating the track for PS4 use when the deal wasn’t done.

Maybe the rights owners got wind of the demand on this site and increased the price.

Fosterions and D-Max like this.
  6. 05XR8

05XR8

I like Spa. Long track, fast sections, long corners, uphill, downhill and watching replays in GT6 were cool.

Animedeaf and AgentBlackDog like this.
  7. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

Forza didn't have Toyota.

BS.

Every other game has it.

8. D-Max

D-Max

and that instantly means they all paid the same price?

BS

No one ever paid a higher price for anything because they had a higher social standing

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  9. RACECAR

RACECAR Premium

Funny that this wasn't the same comment made when SMS couldn't get Suzuka.

Guess you don't believe in the idea that suddenly, the price for licensing something could go up because someone decided to play hardball with certain others?

2clicks, Sander 001 and FoRiZon like this.
  10. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

If I was the on the board of directors for Spa then you would look at the projected sales figures for that game and the ability of that game company to pay.

For something like Project Cars then you may the sales figures werent projected to be good and the company wasnt as established as a Sony or MS or EA.

If you have a game expected to sell 5 mil. copies and be the standard bearer for the PS4 and your parent company is Sony then maybe you ask for more money?

But IMO how much money are we talking? 5 figs? 6 figs?

DJShadesUK likes this.
  11. XRaider

XRaider

FYI Forza 6 has the new Ford GT on their cover first and not EA's back then. Research and try again next time.....

AgentBlackDog likes this.
  12. 2clicks

2clicks

Maybe this is everyone giving PD some comeuppance for the way they're handling the Suzuka license. :lol:

13. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Someone on r/granturismo says the Spa authority wanted $2 mil. - not sure if I believe that.

StealthVel likes this.
  14. VeeDoubleU

VeeDoubleU

Well, is there a source for that? Obviously not.

15. gtpierre

gtpierre

Why do people care so much about spa? I mean it's a cool track, but so are at least 10 other real tracks, and I can think of at least 5 original track which would be as good.
    Do you really want PD to waste millions just to obtain the rights for a track, or would you prefer PD to use these millions to develop other tracks and fix the penalty system ?

16. TonyJZX

TonyJZX

Its irrelevant what track it is if they drip feed them once a month... it its piecemeal then it may as well be Spa.

I dont think its a 1 x Spa vs. 10 x anything else, even PD originals.

17. FoRiZon

FoRiZon

People do forgot to read this part of the article....
    PD and Sony being the millionaire and could afford rights of Spa is not the issue. It's basically licensee playing politics and PD / Sony won't bother with it.

Baliwa, KayX23 and Sander 001 like this.
  18. Downhill Dino

Downhill Dino Premium

I remember that being said way back in GT5 days or maybe GT6. Dated info with no real source I think.

19. LegendofGT

LegendofGT

Exactly!

VXR likes this.
  20. pviana

pviana

I've got mixed feelings about these licensing contracts with or without exclusivity.

But fine, there are so many many tracks and very good ones around the world, it could help to promote more those tracks and the game itself.

http://www.racingcircuits.info/europe/portugal/

Like Portugal, my only memory from Estoril resides on F1 games.

Sander 001 likes this.
  21. banckzy

banckzy

No point in having all these tracks if PD doesn’t use them though lol which is evidently clear in recent daily race schedules

Lazybike likes this.
  22. BrunusCL82

BrunusCL82

Spa is good. Spa is a circuit.

Spa is a very famous autodrome.

Spa has a very expensive license.

I like to talk about Spa.

But some people do not like Spa.

So, everybody talks about Spa.

Spa confirmed?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
    Clean Racer and SDSPOWER01 like this.
  23. Muller_cj

Muller_cj

I would rather they spend the money with lotus and bring those cars to the game

StealthVel, L8 Apex and gtpierre like this.
  24. TurismoBad

TurismoBad

If that's the case Spa owners can go and shove it in a pee hole - plenty of tracks around the world.

ice311man likes this.
  25. Moglet

Moglet Premium

It definitely could be a lot in the grand scheme of things, and even if it isn't then paying over the odds for one track could lead to the owners of other locations requesting more and more money for licensing. It's a smart move by PD, even if it does frustrate me as I'm a fan of Spa!

DJShadesUK likes this.
  26. Nielsen

Nielsen

Suzuka owners handle the Suzuka license.

27. Bohemis09

Bohemis09

Never understood why companies want to make even more money over licensing. Why ask so much for a license in which you gain almost nothing. I understand that as company you give away a valuable asset (license) in exchange with money, but why on earth you charge it 2 or 3 times over others licenses.

28. SestoScudo

SestoScudo

Because of greed, people want more.

I know people are going to say well they have a right to make money.

But if owners of Spa love ripping people off due to their greed that means other tracks can be alternatives.

Sometimes licensing is a headache to point where both parties dont bother and talks either get stalled or closed.

Only thing this Spa will come if both parties come to a compromise.

29. Matthew_Bogus

Matthew_Bogus

Spa but is a great track, but give me Ascari or Midfield or any lesser known track (original or real) I haven't played before. PD are doing the right thing by holding back, it makes good business sense - think the long term.

It's seems some people just want all the tracks we've previously had, and negate how good the new original tracks are!

courageC60 likes this.
  30. Famine

Famine Administrator

Spa is a long, complicated and expensive track to maintain - and spent a considerable sum changing the layout and upgrading the facilities not all that long ago - not to mention the cost of hosting events there (like paying F1 to host F1). It needs money to survive, and quite a lot of money at that.

It also has an extremely high profile as one of the most challenging and exciting race courses in the world, which it's not unreasonable to expect the owners to try to leverage.