Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

I guess FIA involvement is a double edged sword, it's great that it legitimise's esport, but they want their say on tracks etc..

Arent these games like many multiple 10s of millions USD to make?

eg. we know something like GTA5 cost $300 mil.

Surely then every iteration of Forza FM or FH or GT5/6 would at least be in the $10-$20 mil. each? More? Wouldnt be less.

So in that light, how much can a track cost to license? Cant be that much in the overall scheme of things?

Interesting that PD would spend time and effort rescanning the track, and/or updating the track for PS4 use when the deal wasn’t done.

Maybe the rights owners got wind of the demand on this site and increased the price.

If I was the on the board of directors for Spa then you would look at the projected sales figures for that game and the ability of that game company to pay.

For something like Project Cars then you may the sales figures werent projected to be good and the company wasnt as established as a Sony or MS or EA.

If you have a game expected to sell 5 mil. copies and be the standard bearer for the PS4 and your parent company is Sony then maybe you ask for more money?

But IMO how much money are we talking? 5 figs? 6 figs?

We have Nürb, Le Mans, Suzuka... I think I could personally survive without Spa, but not without Monaco (or "Côte d'Azur" :D).
During so many years, Porsche was't in GT: license issue (EA exclusivity). New Ford GT: license issue (EA exclusivity). Forza players have same problem with the new Supra (Sony exclusivity).

Well, Money Money Money.

Just a question: we have Porsche in this GT, what about RUF?
I have feelings RUF only replaced Porsche during the EA exclusivity (not only GT series).

FYI Forza 6 has the new Ford GT on their cover first and not EA's back then. Research and try again next time.....

Why do people care so much about spa? I mean it's a cool track, but so are at least 10 other real tracks, and I can think of at least 5 original track which would be as good.
Do you really want PD to waste millions just to obtain the rights for a track, or would you prefer PD to use these millions to develop other tracks and fix the penalty system ?

Its irrelevant what track it is if they drip feed them once a month... it its piecemeal then it may as well be Spa.

I dont think its a 1 x Spa vs. 10 x anything else, even PD originals.

People do forgot to read this part of the article....
While you might think the price would be worth it for such an iconic race track, that’s not the main thrust of this issue. Paying so much for one circuit might affect the fee other real-world circuits request when it’s time to renew the contracts for subsequent games. The source confirms that the studio would be unwilling to pay over the odds as “it would increase the price not only of Spa, but also of the other circuits”.

PD and Sony being the millionaire and could afford rights of Spa is not the issue. It's basically licensee playing politics and PD / Sony won't bother with it.

Although I love Spa I'd be pretty darn pissed if it were to come at the expense of multiple tracks, no matter what tracks they are. The only thing I absolutely want in GTS is more tracks, but that's just my opinion, though.

Maybe the best way to go around this is to simply release Spa as paid DLC. Maybe the Lotuses, too. I'd definitely pay for it, I got the game for 13€ expecting GT6 minus content but I got something I'd happily pay the full 70€ for. It makes me feel like I'm robbing PD.

Anyway, I think PD opening out about this could mean they're getting somewhere, otherwise they'd keep their lips sealed.

No point in having all these tracks if PD doesn’t use them though lol which is evidently clear in recent daily race schedules

Spa is good. Spa is a circuit.

Spa is a very famous autodrome.

Spa has a very expensive license.

I like to talk about Spa.

But some people do not like Spa.

So, everybody talks about Spa.

Spa confirmed?

Last edited:
So in that light, how much can a track cost to license? Cant be that much in the overall scheme of things?

It definitely could be a lot in the grand scheme of things, and even if it isn't then paying over the odds for one track could lead to the owners of other locations requesting more and more money for licensing. It's a smart move by PD, even if it does frustrate me as I'm a fan of Spa!

Never understood why companies want to make even more money over licensing. Why ask so much for a license in which you gain almost nothing. I understand that as company you give away a valuable asset (license) in exchange with money, but why on earth you charge it 2 or 3 times over others licenses.

Never understood why companies want to make even more money over licensing. Why ask so much for a license in which you gain almost nothing. I understand that as company you give away a valuable asset (license) in exchange with money, but why on earth you charge it 2 or 3 times over others licenses.

Because of greed, people want more.

I know people are going to say well they have a right to make money.

But if owners of Spa love ripping people off due to their greed that means other tracks can be alternatives.

Sometimes licensing is a headache to point where both parties dont bother and talks either get stalled or closed.

Only thing this Spa will come if both parties come to a compromise.

Spa but is a great track, but give me Ascari or Midfield or any lesser known track (original or real) I haven't played before. PD are doing the right thing by holding back, it makes good business sense - think the long term.

It's seems some people just want all the tracks we've previously had, and negate how good the new original tracks are!

Spa is a long, complicated and expensive track to maintain - and spent a considerable sum changing the layout and upgrading the facilities not all that long ago - not to mention the cost of hosting events there (like paying F1 to host F1). It needs money to survive, and quite a lot of money at that.

It also has an extremely high profile as one of the most challenging and exciting race courses in the world, which it's not unreasonable to expect the owners to try to leverage.

Back