Spa-Francorchamps is Not in GT Sport (Yet) Because of Licensing Issues

Yeah you're right.
Only Spa decided to do this and only to PD.
So the excuse for Silverstone, Laguna Seca etc is?

You all swallow the "it takes months to model each car/track" line so you saying that they couldn't get license but thought it a good idea to spend "months" modelling the track when they didn't think it would be in the game and there's so little content and hundreds of other tracks they could have modelled?

They tried to get away with the minimum content they could but it failed spectacularly.

The damage control is why we got so little content, no offline mode at first, PS2 cars in GT5 & 6 and we are having to race in a mixture of 90s, 2017 and total fantasy cars to make up a group.

Watch this track magically turn up in the next 2 or 3 months when they really get finished modelling it.
They had the track in previous instalments. There is a chance that it was just upgraded (or downgraded for gt5/6).
Also there is a possibility that GTS was supposed to launch with SPA but the license lapsed.

Is it because it's an American track?

Not knocking your opinion, legit curious.
Yeah, there's no reason to be knocking on American tracks right now when the only irl tracks in the americas region are either completely overused (interlagos) or downright horrible for racing due to no off track boundaries (Willow springs).

I hope this was a culture shock thing cause paying for toilets is a European meme thing. But paying for a portable toilet? That's just Belgium being Belgium. :dopey: :lol:

The portable ones were free. The good old china ones you had to pay for.

I’ve never had to pay for any toilets here in the UK during a sporting event. I’ve paid good money to come to x sporting event and it should be expected I can go to the loo without spending more money.

It seems reasonable to not over-pay for an asset.
And if this is the case then I have no issues.

I've no doubt tracks like Spa and Silverstone will make it to the game.
It's just a question of "when", not "if".
So I don't mind the wait.

Roll on more of the fictional tracks, to name a few see below
  • Rome Circuit.
  • Seattle Circuit.
  • Seattle Short Circuit.
  • Red Rock Valley Speedway
  • Grand Valley Speedway
  • Trial Mountain Circuit
  • Deep Forest Raceway
  • Grand Valley East
  • Special Stage Route 5
  • Clubman Stage Route 5
  • Autumn Ring Mini
  • Grindelwald
  • Test Course
  • Motor Sports Land

The GT brand is still the most famous virtual racing brand,license holders know that and take advantage of it.The licensing process for racing games seems to be a bit 🤬 up.

Yeah you're right.
Only Spa decided to do this and only to PD.
So the excuse for Silverstone, Laguna Seca etc is?

I don't know the reason for Laguna Seca or Silverstone and I sure as hell am not pretending to so maybe you could not assume I'm some apologist by the tone of your post?

All I am saying here is that, in the case of Spa, this appears to be the classic "Oh hey, its THOSE Guys. Let see if we can squeeze the hell of them for WAAAY more money"(An issue I've seen happen more often then you might think). I get that this game is severly light on content being on this site all the time (even though I still think there are major issues that need to be fixed instead of overshadowed by content), but to simply dismiss this as "BS" while ignoring many similar cases even outside of gaming is completely ignoring an issue that won't just affect this game, but possibly future ones (and whoever somehow sales a similarly successful selling game).

Also, the Licensing jokes with fictional tracks can stop now. its Old. Again I get it: People are somehow more concerned about content in the game then its core system being fixed.

So this proves three things:

1) In shocking news, circuit owners recognises a big company interest in their circuit and use common sense business techniques to try get more money for themselves.

2) Mass areas of the internet and element's of forums such as this place will show no understanding of how business works

3) update comment areas on here and likewise the site will be full of crying plebs each time with nothing better to do.

Sony and the FIA are irrelevant. They're not the gaming developers, and in no way tied to track promotors. Business isn't "let's have a chat". Business is about solely just profit margins at the end of the day.

PD aren't going to jeopardise things or hamper themselves over one circuit. Good on them for sticking to their guns.
I'm quoting your post as a bump of sorts because all of the points you've made cannot be stressed enough. It's the best explanation in this thread in my opinion. If PoDi were to pay for whatever the asking license cost was for Spa, that's moneybags in the eyes of other license holders that are of PoDi's interest. I don't think that license holders are going to give a discount or make an exception called "but it's Gran Turismo" regardless of their affiliation with the FIA or not.

In my opinion this is how you get remembered in history as a jerk. It's happened many times with games and licensing in the past. No one ever sees the holdout positively.

Years from now people will look back on this game and think, "why isn't Spa-Francorchamps in GT Sport? Oh yeah because they were jerks."

Not saying it's right or wrong. It's just how we tend to remember things.

Roll on more of the fictional tracks, to name a few see below
  • Rome Circuit.
  • Seattle Circuit.
  • Seattle Short Circuit.
  • Red Rock Valley Speedway
  • Grand Valley Speedway
  • Trial Mountain Circuit
  • Deep Forest Raceway
  • Grand Valley East
  • Special Stage Route 5
  • Clubman Stage Route 5
  • Autumn Ring Mini
  • Grindelwald
  • Test Course
  • Motor Sports Land

Special Stage Route 5 linked to Special Stage Route 7 .. in order to have a decent Wangan .. (~ 27km/16.8 miles)

IR

I've never heard of development starting in a major house on a major project dedicating many expensive hours without a deal in place

It happens quite a bit, and it's terrifying every single time. I've seen studios go under because they did exactly this.

2) Mass areas of the internet and element's of forums such as this place will show no understanding of how business works
Pfff, tell me about it. But the less said about that the better! :lol:

Arent these games like many multiple 10s of millions USD to make?
IIRC it was either GT 5 or 6 that cost $60m (or thereabouts) to produce (note that is total production cost - development, licencing & promotion - not just development of the engine and asset creation).

Well, i was aware of the licensing problems. Good to know that's the circuit is ready, but i'm fine with PD to not pay this abusive fee, and hope for a good resolution. But i think the "Spagate" rejoin a whole general atmosphere. Some Belgians Journalists have telling me that the whole situation of the belgian motorsport is a disaster.

The direction of Spa-Francorchamps wanted to transform the circuit into a amusement park just like Nurburgring or Abu Dhabi. But even with F1 costs, the financial situation of the circuit is ok, they're not ruined at all. But the President of the track is trying to get as much as possible a state and regional funding to cover their expenses, but also private funding, just like the fee they wanted for the licence, only to not pay these changes with their own money. They're also reduce accessibility to the track, especially for photographers, with concrete walls all over the pit straight.

D2qPmC-XcAI5tQa.jpg

D2qPmC8XQAA1sxy.jpg

(the photos are from this tweet: )

There's more. Spa President wanted to get World RX and Moto GP, and wanted to transform the circuit, but the FIM doesn't really wanted to go at Spa. Too Dangerous, even with the supposed changes. She also wanted to do some "VIP Tribunes", which in fact, replace the general attendance places. The RACB, the Belgian Motorsport Federation, is also in a bad situation. Their junior program is lead by nepotism and money, apparently. The winner is not the one who is the fastest, but the one who got the money from the parents or is the son of a famous name.

But i think this will not continue like this. Many people doesn't like how Spa handle the whole situation, and the president is on an ejectable chair. The region Wallonie wanted his head on a silver plate for running the gentrification of the track. But let's get hope. They don't want more negative publicity and risking to isolate themselves like this.

It happens quite a bit, and it's terrifying every single time. I've seen studios go under because they did exactly this.

Jeez. Really? I've almost always been in IT/Development but supporting a business, not as the core business function. Sure, there's always black ops development going on, but the scale is small of course and it gets approved before getting bigger. Always business approved before costing a pile of money and that means having business agreements. To do that sort of thing in a big studio is irresponsible, you're risking livelihoods. Fine if you're a small band of hot shots that thinks they're wonderful, but when you've got administration and support staff on as well, as you do in a bigger studio, playing loose with those people's jobs is gross and bad leadership.

Well, i was aware of the licensing problems. Good to know that's the circuit is ready, but i'm fine with PD to not pay this abusive fee, and hope for a good resolution. But i think the "Spagate" rejoin a whole general atmosphere. Some Belgians Journalists have telling me that the whole situation of the belgian motorsport is a disaster.

The direction of Spa-Francorchamps wanted to transform the circuit into a amusement park just like Nurburgring or Abu Dhabi. But even with F1 costs, the financial situation of the circuit is ok, they're not ruined at all. But the President of the track is trying to get as much as possible a state and regional funding to cover their expenses, but also private funding, just like the fee they wanted for the licence, only to not pay these changes with their own money. They're also reduce accessibility to the track, especially for photographers, with concrete walls all over the pit straight.

D2qPmC-XcAI5tQa.jpg

D2qPmC8XQAA1sxy.jpg

(the photos are from this tweet: )

There's more. Spa President wanted to get World RX and Moto GP, and wanted to transform the circuit, but the FIM doesn't really wanted to go at Spa. Too Dangerous, even with the supposed changes. She also wanted to do some "VIP Tribunes", which in fact, replace the general attendance places. The RACB, the Belgian Motorsport Federation, is also in a bad situation. Their junior program is lead by nepotism and money, apparently. The winner is not the one who is the fastest, but the one who got the money from the parents or is the son of a famous name.

But i think this will not continue like this. Many people doesn't like how Spa handle the whole situation, and the president is on an ejectable chair. The region Wallonie wanted his head on a silver plate for running the gentrification of the track. But let's get hope. They don't want more negative publicity and risking to isolate themselves like this.

Huh. Interesting. When I wrote my novel on the previous page I did not know or consider there were such political implications.

Licensing problems is always political. Or just a marketing problem because sometimes, they didn't think about this. Just like Ferrari being a diva and doesn't want damage or unfavorable performance to their cars only because it's Ferrari.

I always remember the infamous Kaz white porsche from GT3 being taken out of the.game last minute because it was at that time EA made the exclusive porsche deal.It was such a last minute decision that the car could be found in the game using gameshark.

If game shark was.still a thing we probably would have already seen SPA in GT SPORT

I always remember the infamous Kaz white porsche from GT3 being taken out of the.game last minute because it was at that time EA made the exclusive porsche deal.It was such a last minute decision that the car could be found in the game using gameshark.

If game shark was.still a thing we probably would have already seen SPA in GT SPORT
RIP Gameshark. Press F to pay respects.

I assume it's the same issue with Silverstone since it's pretty well just as iconic of a track and would be a popular choice among fans. So if they could've given us Silverstone instead to keep us happy, I think they would've.

Back