Speed, and why its important in drifting.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 169 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the person chasing me at that point can match it, props to them. Really. But most of the time it's kids that think drifting is all about speed, and they cannot control their car like that. Why would I 'endanger' a battle, when on their lead runs they pull away like crazy, and the next run expect me to try lead at max pace?

They can have the benefits of their car, and I can have the benefit of mine, simple as. :D

I agree with this. Vipers and RX7 FDs have their "weapons", other cars have theirs. Matching and following the grip/speed level of of one of those on an S chassis (for instance) is almost unfair imo - thus leading to the eternal discussion about "grippy cars" and non grippy cars to the level of the discovery of two diferent types of CH tyres (in the golden era of GT5 hybrids) and even leading to a list of banned cars on a lot of comps - so if someone has a slower car when leading, that person, imo, should exploit to the max their own advantages (angle, consistency, line...whatever it is).

Although personaly i prefer angle and a smooth clean line over speed anyday, that doesnt mean speed isnt important.
I think we're all saying basically the same thing here. If you can have a faaaaast drift yet hold big angles while keeping that clean line...you're good in my book, wich doesn't necessarily mean that's the way i, personally, prefer to drift while chilling (not in comps).

Not true.

I agree

I seen them keep up with a lot of cars lol.

Oh my S14 in GT5 kept up with a lot of renown pace whores. It's the driver, and partly the tune which makes it fast.

Don't call unfair if you in a comp in a S14 against Vettes and stuff. You knew what you was going up against.

Anyways SPEED FOR THE MF WIN. how can you not like speed?

Last edited:
We have match speeds, for the start. There needs to be a penalty for dropping below a certain speed while in the section during a comp. All drivers should be given a line video and speed minimums.
I do this.

my Miata, 270hp, keeps up with, ANYTHING.

I can't believe there's a legitimate discussion about drifting happening right now, this is awesome.
To throw my insight in on this, there is drifting and then there's competitive drifting. Its forgivable to mistake the two, but there's a bold line between the them. I myself am a weekend warrior and I must have 30 cars in my garage that replicate missle cars so I can get a taste of 1:1 drifting during the week at home. Cheap, low power cars tuned to slide slow so I can bang doors with my buddies online. We go slow consistently and have a good time just having fun around 30mph. I also have competetion tuned cars, mainly my fully tuned and aero'd fd3s rx7, built solely with aggression in mind. I still like to rip a 150mph 90° entry down the back stretch of tsukuba driving on pure faith in my car and my skill. Now, to the original question of "what's the deal with speed?" Sometimes its necessary. Wether its for battling an opponent or just putting a stupid grin on your face, it has its place in the world. Don't forget that drifting was born from guys going way too fast into corners. Those of us who keep it slow and tame came after.

I have been reading both of the threads discussing this topic, and I'd like to add something that I've realized. Someone posted a video of a "Famous Drifter" (I'll let you guess who :D) explaining the rules for a drift competition at Fuji and Suzuka. In that video, he goes to great lengths to explain the intricate details and rules governing the drift for that competition. I just couldn't help but notice how in depth these rules were, and how specific to that competition they were. The drifting line, clipping points, clipping ZONES (which nobody online ever seems to talk about), and even (you guessed it) the speed of the run, are all clearly laid out as part of the rules. If you mess up even just one part, you could receive zero points, or a massive reduction in points at the very least. They also give examples of a good run vs a bad one, and why they're good or bad.

I think that this is the solution! Clear cut rules that are specific to the section/track, including (but not limited to) drifting line, clipping points & zones, and speed. Not every section is the same, so the rules for that section are going to be different from any other, and you can make a section feel completely different by simply changing the rules. (aka: changing the line or speed etc. etc.) Practice runs and warm-ups will be a good idea as well, to make sure that everyone is clear on the rules for the section.

Anyways, I wanted to get that out of my brain before I forgot. I understand that this isn't a cure-all for the problems that everyone is mentioning, but I'm sure it would go a long way towards organizing a better competitive scene.

TLDR: Better and more specific rules could solve SOME of the issues presented here. Not all, but some.

I have been reading both of the threads discussing this topic, and I'd like to add something that I've realized. Someone posted a video of a "Famous Drifter" (I'll let you guess who :D) explaining the rules for a drift competition at Fuji and Suzuka. In that video, he goes to great lengths to explain the intricate details and rules governing the drift for that competition. I just couldn't help but notice how in depth these rules were, and how specific to that competition they were. The drifting line, clipping points, clipping ZONES (which nobody online ever seems to talk about), and even (you guessed it) the speed of the run, are all clearly laid out as part of the rules. If you mess up even just one part, you could receive zero points, or a massive reduction in points at the very least. They also give examples of a good run vs a bad one, and why they're good or bad.

I think that this is the solution! Clear cut rules that are specific to the section/track, including (but not limited to) drifting line, clipping points & zones, and speed. Not every section is the same, so the rules for that section are going to be different from any other, and you can make a section feel completely different by simply changing the rules. (aka: changing the line or speed etc. etc.) Practice runs and warm-ups will be a good idea as well, to make sure that everyone is clear on the rules for the section.

Anyways, I wanted to get that out of my brain before I forgot. I understand that this isn't a cure-all for the problems that everyone is mentioning, but I'm sure it would go a long way towards organizing a better competitive scene.

TLDR: Better and more specific rules could solve SOME of the issues presented here. Not all, but some.
Exactly, But ill have you note that this is exactly how my D1SL league/season/circuit is being ran. A line video goes up, explaining clips, line, speed, etc, then a full week of practice is allowed in which I also participate in to help the drifters whom are to compete come the day. No, I don't compete in my own hosted comps, I have judges, Then I have the drifters, Like I said, the rules are laid out for each specific track, And sofar everything is smooth in D1SL. Maybe those interested in legit comping should sign up next season!

Not true.

True, without sacrificing a proper line and angle you won't keep up.

I do this.

my Miata, 270hp, keeps up with, ANYTHING.

Same as above.

I agree

I seen them keep up with a lot of cars lol.

Oh my S14 in GT5 kept up with a lot of renown pace whores. It's the driver, and partly the tune which makes it fast.

Don't call unfair if you in a comp in a S14 against Vettes and stuff. You knew what you was going up against.

Anyways SPEED FOR THE MF WIN. how can you not like speed?

I never called it unfair, read better. Besides, same goes for you as what I wrote for Eddy.

Plus, I never liked your driving style. Average angles, lots of forward grip. So yeah, if there is somebody that's gonna keep up it's you.

Same as above.

I never called it unfair, read better. Besides, same goes for you as what I wrote for Eddy.

Plus, I never liked your driving style. Average angles, lots of forward grip. So yeah, if there is somebody that's gonna keep up it's you.
Im done here, I get better responses from a brick wall. Apparently you have not seen a well tuned Miata?!?! O well stick to your own pool of ignorance, Im annoyed by you at this point and I have nothing more to say towards you or your general direction!

#*****:gtpflag:

Same as above.

But dear creature of earth, I never read your comment, nor was I replying to your comment?! Hahaha

Last edited:
Exactly, But ill have you note that this is exactly how my D1SL league/season/circuit is being ran. A line video goes up, explaining clips, line, speed, etc, then a full week of practice is allowed in which I also participate in to help the drifters whom are to compete come the day. No, I don't compete in my own hosted comps, I have judges, Then I have the drifters, Like I said, the rules are laid out for each specific track, And sofar everything is smooth in D1SL. Maybe those interested in legit comping should sign up next season!

Sounds good to me, and I suppose it proves the point; good rules do make a huge difference. If I was even half confident in my tandem skills I'd join up. XD

Im done here, I get better responses from a brick wall. Apparently you have not seen a well tuned Miata?!?! O well stick to your own pool of ignorance, Im annoyed by you at this point and I have nothing more to say towards you or your general direction!
#*****:gtpflag:

I don't care about the tune. A miata, won't keep up with a Viper, when they need to run the same line and agle. Won't happen. Physically impossible.

But dear creature of earth, I never read your comment, nor was I replying to your comment?! Hahaha

You were. Because Eddy was replying to mine. -.-

I don't care about the tune. A miata, won't keep up with a Viper, when they need to run the same line and agle. Won't happen. Physically impossible.

You were. Because Eddy was replying to mine. -.-
The tune can make all the difference....

I'm sure you should be aware of this...

Your posts should be entitled 'The world according to Gonales', or atleast end with an 'IMO'..

IMO

Your posts should be entitled 'The world according to Gonales', or atleast end with a 'IMO'..

IMO
Tuning does noting.... -_- Or haven't you heard?

Tuning does noting.... -_- Or haven't you heard?
Oh no I completely agree.

All my cars are bone stock and perform flawlessly with 100% garanteed 170 degree entries every time with huge speed from entry to apex to transition.

Tuning makes no difference whatsoever and is to be avoided at all costs.

Oh no I completely agree.

All my cars are bone stock and perform flawlessly with 100% garanteed 170 degree entries every time with huge speed from entry to apex to transition.

Tuning makes no difference whatsoever and is to be avoided at all costs.
I like turtles... Whats this drifting you speak of?

tumblr_mdjjafqG5q1rxmolto1_500.jpg

I know it's a tortoise.

Your posts should be entitled 'The world according to Gonales', or atleast end with an 'IMO'..

IMO

Nah, because everything I say is obviously 100% correct. And it definitely holds more value because you disagree with it. (Obvious sarcasm)

I like turtles... Whats this drifting you speak of?

For both of you ... that still have issues trying to comprehend English...

I do NOT care at all about the tune. Give a car a perfect tune, it can only do so much. A miata will NEVER be equal to a Viper when it comes to grip coefficients. Wanna know why? Because it is not programmed to! Is that so difficult to understand? :/

M. Ali once wrote, or said: "Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential, Impossible is temporary. Impossible, is nothing."

I agree with this to a certain length, when it comes to perserace and commitment in real life.

But this is a game. Made from 0's and 1's and there is a limit to what a tune can do to a car, and a limit of every single driver playing it.

Miata's, wont keep up with Vipers.

Last edited:
Nah, because everything I say is obviously 100% correct. And it definitely holds more value because you disagree with it. (Obvious sarcasm)

For both of you ... that still have issues trying to comprehend English...

I do NOT care at all about the tune. Give a car a perfect tune, it can only do so much. A miata will NEVER be equal to a Viper when it comes to grip coefficients. Wanna know why? Because it is not programmed to! Is that so difficult to understand? :/

M. Ali once wrote, or said: "Impossible is not a fact, it's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration, it's a dare. Impossible is potential, Impossible is temporary. Impossible, is nothing."

I agree with this to a certain length, when it comes to perserace and commitment in real life.

But this is a game. Made from 0's and 1's and there is a limit to what a tune can do to a car, and a limit of every single driver playing it.

Miata's, wont keep up with Vipers.

This is where you are wrong.

To think a car has (or can have) a perfect setup is disillusional.

You can setup a car in such a way that it handles just how you want it to at one track, but it might be awful elsewhere, making it imperfect.

A Viper could be setup with 10.0 camber all round and solid suspension for almost zero grip, and the mx5 could be setup for full grip and traction.

I'd wager the mx5 would out drift the Viper in terms of speed.

Edit

You also love to relate your real world experience to GT, so why so hypercritical about only referring to the game now?

To be honest, this thread is about speed in relation to drifting, all drifting, not just in game.

This is where you are wrong.

To think a car has (or can have) a perfect setup is disillusional.

You can setup a car in such a way that it handles just how you want it to at one track, but it might be awful elsewhere, making it imperfect.

A Viper could be setup with 10.0 camber all round and solid suspension for almost zero grip, and the mx5 could be setup for full grip and traction.

I'd wager the mx5 would out drift the Viper in terms of speed.

Edit

You also love to relate your real world experience to GT, so why so hypercritical about only referring to the game now?

To be honest, this thread is about speed in relation to drifting, all drifting, not just in game.

First of all, I'm going from the perspective of people not being total morons and using 10 camber.

Secondly: "GT6 Drifting Forum" Not: "Real life drifting forum" Yes, I often compare drifting ingame to drifting in real life. When it comes to attitudes, track etiquette, overall tuning pro's and con's.

But I will never make the mistake you guys make. Having 255's in the rear, or 195's makes a ******** of difference irl, and that difference is also noticeable ingame. Thing is, you can't change tyre width, and the overall mechanical grip levels of a car.

This is debatable.

Going on, the overall mechanical grip of a Viper is a lot higher than that of a Miata. If both drivers know what they are doing, the Miata will not be able to hold the same line, angle and speed as the Viper. It will either need to take an inside line, to put more pressure on the Viper, or needs to sacrifice a lot of angle.

Yet again, a thread that started out as a sensible discussion, has been turned on its head.

'speed, and why its important in drifting '

Not

' why an mx5 can't keep up with a Viper '

I made the thread, and its about drifting in general. Not solely gt6, I'm afraid.

' morons running 10.0 camber ' - this is a setup that is achievable in game, it will give certain characteristics... This seems to be the point you are missing. Setups make a huge difference to a cars characteristics. You can alter overall grip with such settings, and therefore completely change the overall speed at which the car will drift...

Dom this is a thread about speed in relation to drifting period we are not just referring to the game
I thinks I saw ahh turtle too!!! @FussyFez

EDIT: Seriously though, I gave up being serious with this ........ person... No point in continuing to argue versus the painful wall of ignorance and one sided theories/Opinions which he/she proclaims.

Not taking FD into consideration, and going from my experience with most European competitions, what people are looking for is:
Angle: /30
Line: /30
Style: /40

Style, includes speed. The matter of importance (10 points, 15 or 20), varies. But even if it's 20 which is extremely high, it's still lower than Angle and Line.
Style, can include multiple judging criteria. Amount of braking, e-brake usage, smoke (or lack thereof), and even the car itself.

This WHOLE section, is about competition tandeming. During tandems with friends, speed does not matter at ALL. Yes, you need to be able to make a corner. But people with Miata's aren't going to keep up with Vette's, Camaro's etc...
The best tandems are in cars with average grip levels, and moderate amounts of power.

Edit:
@PUSH :

For me, it's simple. I can win competitions and rounds by doing what I do best. Consistency and consistent huge angles.

Thing is, I definitely admit on slowing down purposely, during some of the less respectable comps. I will explain why.

If somebody wants to use a Viper, or Vette, to profit from the insane grip levels of the car, that's fine by me. But if I can keep my car sideways without fumbling the line, or angle and slow down to make the chasing more difficult, I will.

If the person chasing me at that point can match it, props to them. Really. But most of the time it's kids that think drifting is all about speed, and they cannot control their car like that. Why would I 'endanger' a battle, when on their lead runs they pull away like crazy, and the next run expect me to try lead at max pace?

They can have the benefits of their car, and I can have the benefit of mine, simple as. :D
I'm with Dom. Apart from intentionally goin slow, I don't do that but totally get your point.

LMAO NOT EVERYTHING
depends on the driver/tuning.

EDIT: stop harassing me on GTP @PUSH save it for the lobbies! We had this discussion last night

lmfao!

DRAMA ALERT!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back