Speed, and why its important in drifting.

• Thread starter FussyFez
  • 169 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
@ITSHAM @PUSH

Resident nutters.

giphy.gif

Lmao stahhhhhhp it! Why is everyone attacking me?!?!? hahahahaha omg @PUSH is most definitely Dr. Zoidburg (if im spelling that right)
Cause you be derping doe

Gonna use this photo as an example of the importance of speed in drifting overall
image.jpg

Running that wall or any banked wall comes down to two things, your tune, and your level of aggression or speed to simplify in this case. @ITSHAM have you ever ran that ascari wall in your Miata specifically, Im interested in how it would fare.

Cause you be derping doe

Gonna use this photo as an example of the importance of speed in drifting overall
View attachment 146811
Running that wall or any banked wall comes down to two things, your tune, and your level of aggression or speed to simplify in this case. @ITSHAM have you ever ran that ascari wall in your Miata specifically, Im interested in how it would fare.
Yes actually, My Miata can do it both directions, Must I prove it?

Me and my el gato just hangin out....

Yes actually, My Miata can do it both directions, Must I prove it?

Me and my el gato just hangin out....
And how do you enter? I imagine you'd have to fly since you wouldn't be able to rely on the power as much as that supra. Even though my supra is run on 424hp (gobs of torque though)

Edit:tf's el gato

And how do you enter? I imagine you'd have to fly since you wouldn't be able to rely on the power as much as that supra. Even though my supra is run on 424hp (gobs of torque though)

Edit:tf's el gato
game recorder noob! :dunce: lol

So, just curious... I tell people I can very likely gain and hold more angle consistently, compared to them in lobbies without steering lock mods. (Note: My angle was already really good in GT5, compared to other people in GT5.)

I get called elitist, and people claim I think I'm the best.

A couple of days later, people claim they can keep up with Vipers in a Miata, and that's normal? Seriously?

So, just curious... I tell people I can very likely gain and hold more angle consistently, compared to them in lobbies without steering lock mods. (Note: My angle was already really good in GT5, compared to other people in GT5.)

I get called elitist, and people claim I think I'm the best.

A couple of days later, people claim they can keep up with Vipers in a Miata, and that's normal? Seriously?
You come at people hard and full of emotion, stating claims that are true but highly debatable, but, this is the Internet you forget, debates are no longer debates but arguments that stray quite far away from the point.

I think we all can accept the fact that a Miata wont be able to match a corvette when its in the hands of a driver that can control the throttle properly. Now with matching im obviously talking about having the same amount of angle while maintaining that proximity.

You come at people hard and full of emotion, stating claims that are true but highly debatable, but, this is the Internet you forget, debates are no longer debates but arguments that stray quite far away from the point.

True. I definitely believe in most of the things I say. I get proved wrong sometimes as well and when that happens I do apologise. But you're right. This is the internet. I should stop expecting people to be kind, rational and fair. :/

I think we all can accept the fact that a Miata wont be able to match a corvette when its in the hands of a driver that can control the throttle properly. Now with matching im obviously talking about having the same amount of angle while maintaining that proximity.

Finally Ish. Somebody to use their brains. :P And not disagree with something I say probably just because it's me saying it. ;)

The Miata would have to sacrifice a lot in order to keep up if the driver of that viper is excellent, ditto for the Miata driver. Kinda gt6 science. It's just a HUGE variable of the tunes driver styles and such.

A Viper could be setup with 10.0 camber all round and solid suspension for almost zero grip, and the mx5 could be setup for full grip and traction.

I'd wager the mx5 would out drift the Viper in terms of speed.

Yeah and I'd also put my money on a 10yo kid running a 100m sprint quicker than a professional athlete with their legs cut off at the knees.

Of coarse the Miata would be quicker in that situation, the Viper
has been rendered useless with that type of setup.

The only other time I can see a Miata keeping up with a car of that level of grip is on small tracks like Tsukuba, GTArena, Madrid Section etc. It's easier for a low hp car to grip more on a small circuit.

But on a longer track like Suzuka, Fuji, Deep Forest etc. The Miata will have no chance keeping up with a Viper.

Yeah and I'd also put my money on a 10yo kid running a 100m sprint quicker than a professional athlete with their legs cut off at the knees.

Of coarse the Miata would be quicker in that situation, the Viper
has been rendered useless with that type of setup.

The only other time I can see a Miata keeping up with a car of that level of grip is on small tracks like Tsukuba, GTArena, Madrid Section etc. It's easier for a low hp car to grip more on a small circuit.

But on a longer track like Suzuka, Fuji, Deep Forest etc. The Miata will have no chance keeping up with a Viper.
It was an extreme example of how different setups give different characteristics.

'speed, and why its important in drifting'

Not

'why a miata won't keep up with a Viper '

It was an extreme example of how different setups give different characteristics.

'speed, and why its important in drifting'

Not

'why a miata won't keep up with a Viper '

'Speed, and why it's totally unimportant in drifting.' 'Brains, and what people should do with them while drifting.'

Those would make more sense. I gave an example, and it was spot on. That people use that same example in this thread doesn't mean it's off-topic, it just means it's an example used to make a statement.

Now, instead of giving us really, really useless counter examples to prove yourself right, or telling people they are off-topic by using the name Miata or Viper, why don't you follow your own advice and only make contributions to the thread when it's actually helpful?

'Speed, and why it's totally unimportant in drifting.' 'Brains, and what people should do with them while drifting.'

Those would make more sense. I gave an example, and it was spot on. That people use that same example in this thread doesn't mean it's off-topic, it just means it's an example used to make a statement.

Now, instead of giving us really, really useless counter examples to prove yourself right, or telling people they are off-topic by using the name Miata or Viper, why don't you follow your own advice and only make contributions to the thread when it's actually helpful?
I think the thread has boiled down to:

• Most people agreeing speed is a factor, but not a deciding factor, and always to be used in conjunction with great control and never if it means your going to ruin someone's run.
  • A minority trying to argue that it is completely unimportant, and using an extreme example to try and argue the point.
I took your extreme example and quashed it with an equally extreme example.

This thread was never supposed to be about car X can't match car Y's speed.

You felt like using it as an example, but then discounted the fact that setups can have a huge effect.

I argued this fact, and you still wish to be ignorant and state 'I dont care about the setups', then that's up to you.

I've meerly been trying to point out that you and @JDM_Tuning_S3OZ seem to be missing the point a little...

If you feel strongly against high speed drifting, then post why, don't try and give silly examples trying to prove that there is no place for high speed drifting, anywhere at all.

• Most people agreeing speed is a factor, but not a deciding factor, and always to be used in conjunction with great control and never if it means your going to ruin someone's run.
  • A minority trying to argue that it is completely unimportant, and using an extreme example to try and argue the point.

You felt like using it as an example, but then discounted the fact that setups can have a huge effect.

I argued this fact, and you still wish to be ignorant and state 'I dont care about the setups', then that's up to you.

I've meerly been trying to point out that you and @JDM_Tuning_S3OZ seem to be missing the point a little...

If you feel strongly against high speed drifting, then post why, don't try and give silly examples trying to prove that there is no place for high speed drifting, anywhere at all.

I never said I had a problem with high speed drifting...
Go check out my videos, you'll see most of my stuff is high speed entries.

The problem I have with high speed drifting is the people who think by going as fast as possible is more important than angle. I've encountered people that've even tried to say it's the 'right' way now.

I never said I had a problem with high speed drifting...
Go check out my videos, you'll see most of my stuff is high speed entries.

The problem I have with high speed drifting is the people who think by going as fast as possible is more important than angle. I've encountered people that've even tried to say it's the 'right' way now.
I didn't say you did... The final word was directed at Gonales (or anyone that does have an issue with it) , hence the new paragraph.

Well, what is the 'right' way, in your opinion?

At the end of the day, I think it's all been said.

Comp drifting is a completely different world to 'free run', or grass roots drifting.

Comps should have a designated line, and speed requirement. Drivers should not show a huge difference in speed on tandem runs compared to their practice and solo runs.

Non comp drifting can be anything from sub 30mph hairpins at streets of willow, to 150mph+ reverse entries at GVS.

Some people prefer maximum angle, regardless of speed, others prefer higher speed, with less angle. I personally try to keep my speed as high as possible, whilst still getting to full lock and big angles.

I wouldn't say either way is right or wrong, just different styles of drifting...

I made the thread to debate with the people that think speed is in no way important in drifting, as I think otherwise.

It's all subjective, and neither side can be right or wrong, it's all a matter of opinion. I just don't understand the opinion of:

'Speed, and why it's totally unimportant in drifting.'

This WHOLE section, is about competition tandeming. During tandems with friends, speed does not matter at ALL. Yes, you need to be able to make a corner. But people with Miata's aren't going to keep up with Vette's, Camaro's etc...
The best tandems are in cars with average grip levels, and moderate amounts of power.

This quote, obviously states that I differ in opinion between friendly tandems, or competition battles.

I will always think less of people using very grippy cars to do well in competitions, instead of a car with less grip. It's like, they need the car to be fast to have a chance to win anything.

You never quashed anything, you were just being ridiculous. And pitting Miata's against Vipers isn't that ridiculous. I know for a fact that if they (Vipers) didn't get banned from the competitions it would happen very often. The thing is, I don't mind seeing two different cars tandeming. But if person A, leads a run for person B, person A should also be able to chase, decently. Otherwise the point of drifting is gone.

I know some people prefer one role, some people don't care. Thing is, a good drifter should be able to do both. With consistency.

I never said 'there is no place for high speed drifting'. Frankly, I enjoy seeing 160kmh entries. I just don't think people should be doing it on sports softs. Or in very grippy cars.

Drifting is about Elegance, style, and sharing the passion together. When I see 6 people in Matsuri cars, and the next idiot brings out a Camaro... I just fear for the future of this sport.

This quote, obviously states that I differ in opinion between friendly tandems, or competition battles.

I will always think less of people using very grippy cars to do well in competitions, instead of a car with less grip. It's like, they need the car to be fast to have a chance to win anything.

You never quashed anything, you were just being ridiculous. And pitting Miata's against Vipers isn't that ridiculous. I know for a fact that if they (Vipers) didn't get banned from the competitions it would happen very often. The thing is, I don't mind seeing two different cars tandeming. But if person A, leads a run for person B, person A should also be able to chase, decently. Otherwise the point of drifting is gone.

I know some people prefer one role, some people don't care. Thing is, a good drifter should be able to do both. With consistency.

I never said 'there is no place for high speed drifting'. Frankly, I enjoy seeing 160kmh entries. I just don't think people should be doing it on sports softs. Or in very grippy cars.

Drifting is about Elegance, style, and sharing the passion together. When I see 6 people in Matsuri cars, and the next idiot brings out a Camaro... I just fear for the future of this sport.

Your still missing the point.

It's not about the cars. (or tyres... Where did that come from?)

I'm going to bed.

well look at that......its raining outside..LMAO!

Random thought just came to my brothers head....If speed is not important in drifting then why not just have the cars line up and start at the corner, Rev it up and dump the clutch and just power over the rest of the turn. Since speed is not important no need for a speed match just line up and go!
I love the response my brother gives when reading the Forums.

well look at that......its raining outside..LMAO!

Random thought just came to my brothers head....If speed is not important in drifting then why not just have the cars line up and start at the corner, Rev it up and dump the clutch and just power over the rest of the turn. Since speed is not important no need for a speed match just line up and go!
I love the response my brother gives when reading the Forums.
It is raining... Damn weather and its mood swings...

So you don't respect people that set up a competitive platform for competition? Hahaha.

So you don't respect people that set up a competitive platform for competition? Hahaha.

When 'a competitive platform' NEEDS tonnes of grip, yes. If you can't do well in an average car, you can't do well, period.

Why can't we just say that all factors are of equal importance whilst drifting.

Holy moly the simplicity :embarrassed:

Stav trying to simplify humanity: Part 2

When 'a competitive platform' NEEDS tonnes of grip, yes. If you can't do well in an average car, you can't do well, period.

I wouldn't say that, using gripper tires allows you to gain more points. But that's why there's tire regs in place :D

Welp, there goes my career. Ill take no offense.

We all have different views, I like speed + angle because it makes me feel like I'm in the limit of my life and if I make one mistake it's game over. @Gonales thoroughly enjoys flat out angle with tiny amounts of grip. As much as a cliché the fast and the furious Tokyo drift was, that female Neela had a point when she said, “There’s no right or wrong in drifting. How you drift is who you are. It’s like fingerprints. Everyone’s different.”

Some people are so close-minded. I like going fast and having grip, because for me, grip is control. For others they like to feel like they are on ice, and that is control for them, and I have no issues with that. A great driver should be able to control their car, and adjust to other peoples driving styles instead of trying to get everyone to be the same pace. Also consistency will give you speed no matter how you drift.

I look at it like mountain biking. Take Red Bull Rampage which is when they take selected mountain bikers to the top of a mountain in Utah, and they get down how ever they choose. Some World Cup racers do it and just rip down as fast as they can doing gnarly lines and big moto whips. Then you have Free Riders who also take gnarly lines but sometimes less technical (not all), and do massive tricks. Two completely different styles in one competition. They must be out of their minds to hold two different styles. Do the Free Riders complain about the World Cup riders speed, and tell them go put on spandex and ride some road bikes you speedy nerd? Nope, because they would get punched right in the face.

I listen to this when I drift with @PUSH

Your mistake is that you assume grip is speed. High grip cars are precise. You get more finite control of a high grip platform. Wether it be ch or sh tires a high grip car will be more demanding of the driver than a car that's "average". Its about control when were talking about grip in drifting. You keep digging yourself into holes in threads as I've noticed you like to think you understand chassis mechanics when its obvious your knowledge about vehicles mechanical aspects is basic at best. Some advice that was given to me when I was just a kid, " if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your mouth shut". This thread was about speed, not talent or grip. You stated your opinions on speed and that's all that was required.

Your mistake is that you assume grip is speed. High grip cars are precise. You get more finite control of a high grip platform. Wether it be ch or sh tires a high grip car will be more demanding of the driver than a car that's "average". Its about control when were talking about grip in drifting. You keep digging yourself into holes in threads as I've noticed you like to think you understand chassis mechanics when its obvious your knowledge about vehicles mechanical aspects is basic at best. Some advice that was given to me when I was just a kid, " if you don't know what you're talking about, keep your mouth shut". This thread was about speed, not talent or grip. You stated your opinions on speed and that's all that was required.
Now you see, an agrument is gonna break out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back