Speedster's Gallery // July-October

Sweet shots man! My favourite ones are the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th, and I'm fond of how background is blurred on the 7th shot from the sideways. 👍

Thanks!

Was at BTCC for Snetterton yesterday (couldn't afford race day tickets sadly), was good fun to see the cars and get some more experience of Snetterton. I definitely want to see the touring cars again at some point.

Photo wise I don't think I did anything spectacular really. I feel it's quite a average set. If you feel like checking the full set out check it out here - Link.

Any C&C is very much welcome.

#9 - Couldn't resist a bit of slow shutter-y speed stuff. Even if it is marmite.

As said C&C is welcome!

I think the light and the track do not help a lot for the set to be spectacular... here. But in the Flickr there are some way better pictures. Why you didn't post the first b/w picture, the second, or the 5th with the black Vauxhal or whatever the heck that is is beyond me, I find them way more intresting than most posted here.

I'd recommend everyone to head to the guy's Flickr and see for yourself.

Also, abit of commentary/advice: first, I think you're doing too many neck-breaking angles, watch that, it's good a bit of lean, but sometimes it's too much. Remember, they're cars, not spiders.

Second, in cases like, for example, this:
6017578625_a9b40d23c1_z.jpg

And from the Flickr, this:

ergh... you have restricted access, screw you. Ok, here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/foofighter502/6017587447/sizes/z/in/set-72157627252443263/

I think you are cropping, or if the case applys, taking the pictures in more or less the wrong way. In the first one, you let me see a lot of grass, wall, and some buildings, yet the turn behind the car is ignominously cut, and so is the one ahead of it. in a head-on shot, I think we should see where the car is coming from or where is it going, but we see none of that here, just... stuff. And come on, the curves had a very cool form.

In the Porsches, it's the same. We see a bunch of grass and that's all, yet we don't see where the cars are going, which, even if it's as uninteresting as the grass behind, gives the picture another sense, as if they are going forward, somewhere. Even if you cropped the space behind them and left the picture in semi-vertical form, it would have been a lot better.

7,9,10 and 11 cause I like Plato, sadly I missed out on going but I'm going to Rockingham instead which I enjoy more.

I think the light and the track do not help a lot for the set to be spectacular... here. But in the Flickr there are some way better pictures. Why you didn't post the first b/w picture, the second, or the 5th with the black Vauxhal or whatever the heck that is is beyond me, I find them way more intresting than most posted here.

Hi Cano, thanks for dropping by it's much appreciated, I'm going to respond to your various comments - don't treat them as excuses but they are things that I've noticed about my photography recently.

Your right about the track being a bit dull, the circuit is completely flat and all the spectator areas bar a few are all grandstand height (they've made bankings to aid casual race viewers but sacrificed decent angles.

Also that's the reason I give the link! I'm rubbish at picking the 12 or so best shots and always seem to pick the wrong ones thus the reason I upload 30ish to Flickr for the so called 'full set' (even though in reality it's nowhere near the full amount)...

Also, abit of commentary/advice: first, I think you're doing too many neck-breaking angles, watch that, it's good a bit of lean, but sometimes it's too much. Remember, they're cars, not spiders.

Yup, I've noticed myself doing this too. I think in the case of #2 along the left hand side of the track was various marshal huts (including a portaloo & recovery vehicles) which I didn't want to include. I don't have the lens length to just zoom in normally so I have to tilt to get the angle I want still. It's one of the major problems with having stupidly basic kit.

I think you are cropping, or if the case applys, taking the pictures in more or less the wrong way. In the first one, you let me see a lot of grass, wall, and some buildings, yet the turn behind the car is ignominously cut, and so is the one ahead of it. in a head-on shot, I think we should see where the car is coming from or where is it going, but we see none of that here, just... stuff. And come on, the curves had a very cool form.

I kind of get what you mean, but as photographers aren't we supposed to experiment a bit? There's no written rule that says there has to be space in front of the car rather than behind, in fact I've seen some perfectly good shots that have space behind rather than in front. I will admit I tried some stuff that hasn't worked or been received as well as I'd hoped, but that's the point of trying new stuff.

Another point to make is that some of these corners, as mentioned, are flat. I'm not entirely sure you'd see the rest of the curve. I'm a big fan (at the moment anyway) of low angles, the lower you go the less you see of the curve. I kind of like that look. I do agree though on #1 it would look better if I was positioned slightly more to the left to get a bit more of the rumble strip to show the curve. But I don't think showing the background (was very cluttered with marshal posts) would have improved the shot particularly.

That said, I'll take on board everything you've said. As I say, I try to be a bit different to the other photographers that shoot motorsport at times - sometimes that doesn't work but that's part of the fun. I'll definitely try to cool some of the angles a bit next time out. 👍

7,9,10 and 11 cause I like Plato, sadly I missed out on going but I'm going to Rockingham instead which I enjoy more.

Cheers man. Rockingham is okay, but as a photographer from spectator side it sucks!

I would love to have so many awesome tracks nearby. :drool:

Great shots man, although I agree with Cano that the one he pointed out could have been better if the the camera was panned to the right to show the origin of the car, and have a s-curve in the frame. I like the tilt/angle of it otherwise.

It's good to experiment with "looking room" of a subject in the frame, some great compositions (and also important, storytelling technique) can be achieved with more room behind the subject than in front, but you have to be careful with those. The viewer generally needs some sense that the subject isn't about to run out of the frame.

That said, if your intention is to make the photo have a more tense mood, then by all means, give the subject less looking room. 👍

Great shots. I'm guess the track you were at doesn't have many tall fences? Or how do you always get great close shots? The track I go to has fences around the whole thing with only a few open spots other then the photographer holes.

I have you as a contact on Flickr right? I recognize your watermark from there I think... Great shots man, I love them all, particularly the shots of the Karts on the previous page.

I would love to have so many awesome tracks nearby. :drool:

Great shots man, although I agree with Cano that the one he pointed out could have been better if the the camera was panned to the right to show the origin of the car, and have a s-curve in the frame. I like the tilt/angle of it otherwise.

It's good to experiment with "looking room" of a subject in the frame, some great compositions (and also important, storytelling technique) can be achieved with more room behind the subject than in front, but you have to be careful with those. The viewer generally needs some sense that the subject isn't about to run out of the frame.

That said, if your intention is to make the photo have a more tense mood, then by all means, give the subject less looking room. 👍

Haha, we are stupidly luckily in the UK for race tracks and I'm not sure everyone appreciates that fact; most circuits in the UK are only a 2 hour drive away from where I live.

Thanks for all the other comments on composition too, definitely taking it onboard!

All great work as usual Adam 👍

Thanks man!

Great shots. I'm guess the track you were at doesn't have many tall fences? Or how do you always get great close shots? The track I go to has fences around the whole thing with only a few open spots other then the photographer holes.

You are indeed correct, most MSV circuits (that includes; Cadwell, Snetterton, Brands Hatch & Oulton Park) have about chest height fences. As I said, we're really lucky for circuits here.

Concerning close shots, the fences aren't far from the track at all. At Cadwell I can put the 18-55mm on and manage to fill the frame that's how close the cars can be. Of course circuits like Silverstone put you further away from the circuit and also give you large fences to work with but even there close shots can be achieved.

I tend to just work with what I've got, if I have a fence based circuit I try to incorporate the fence somehow - for panning shots they can make nice horizontal (or not horizontal judging by my recent angles!) lines which add to the impression of speed. But it is difficult to do.

I have you as a contact on Flickr right? I recognize your watermark from there I think... Great shots man, I love them all, particularly the shots of the Karts on the previous page.

You certainly do! Thanks for the compliment, I really appreciate it.

You're lucky if you have most tracks in 2 hours drive cause I have Snetterton, Rockingham and possibly Oulton and Brands.

You're lucky if you have most tracks in 2 hours drive cause I have Snetterton, Rockingham and possibly Oulton and Brands.

Well, 2 and a half hours to be precise really;

Cadwell Park - 30 minutes
Rockingham - 1 hour 45 minutes
Mallory Park - 2 hours
Snetterton - 2 hours 10 minutes
Silverstone - 2 hours 30 minutes

Brands & Oulton are a bit further out and take about 3 hours to get too, even still that's nothing compared to what most Americans have to travel to a circuit!

Brands & Oulton are a bit further out and take about 3 hours to get too, even still that's nothing compared to what most Americans have to travel to a circuit!

No kidding. I have smaller local stuff around me here, but if I want to see an actual road race I have to travel to California or Utah. I think Laguna Seca and Miller Motorsports Park are my closest tracks, and both are a good full day drive. :indiff:

Edit: NASCAR tracks on the other hand....

Try only Oulton Park. It takes me 1 hour or so to get there. Everywhere else, 3 hours at least.
The only way it could be worse is Scotland being left with only Knockhill.

I really need to try to go to Donington sometime and find out how long that will take me, but I'm pretty sure it will still take a while.

My real "local" is Three Sisters, but that is only a very tiny track and only holds small club level racing. Then its basically just Oulton or Angelsey. Its so bad that most of the local racing clubs actually use Angelsey as a local circuit! Its miles away!

On topic - nice pics Speedster! Its always fun at a Touring Car meeting, I've had a lot of fun trying to take nice photos of BTCC at Oulton over the years. I don't know about Snetterton, but Oulton provides a load of great places to get some good action shots, my personal favourite is standing (effectively) on the apex of Lodge Corner as you regularly get cars side-by-side as they come over the crest. You can then get the bonus of them going down and up Deer Leap and across the start/finish line.

These are all great, Adam! :)👍

Panning kart is perfect, I'd only have used less tilting, since the subject isn't that big on the frame.
Tilting tends (imo, of course) to work best the bigger the subject is, so as you have the less scenery possible tilted, which is what makes it less appealing.

The Astra one has a nice angle indeed. Are you maxed out on milimetres there? It'd be sweet if you could go closer and blur the background some more whilst increasing the size of the car in the frame a bit.

Drifting through the trees shot at 1/6 is fantastic. Great image whatever way you look at it.

I really like the editing on all the B&W ones, although most of them are not my favorites as photos themselves. But the editing is spot on. :drool:

Last set I commented on Flickr. Yup, I'm lazy. :sly:

No kidding. I have smaller local stuff around me here, but if I want to see an actual road race I have to travel to California or Utah. I think Laguna Seca and Miller Motorsports Park are my closest tracks, and both are a good full day drive. :indiff:

Edit: NASCAR tracks on the other hand....

Yeah, my friend (Longbow) is in Canada and is pretty badly placed for circuits too. I'm really lucky and appreciate the fact I can pick and choose which circuits I want to attend in the UK!

On topic - nice pics Speedster! Its always fun at a Touring Car meeting, I've had a lot of fun trying to take nice photos of BTCC at Oulton over the years. I don't know about Snetterton, but Oulton provides a load of great places to get some good action shots, my personal favourite is standing (effectively) on the apex of Lodge Corner as you regularly get cars side-by-side as they come over the crest. You can then get the bonus of them going down and up Deer Leap and across the start/finish line.

Cheers man! Nice to see you about in this area. BTCC is great fun to watch, wish I had been there on raceday but the tickets were more expensive so I had to cope with just qualifying and free practice.

I've never been to Oulton, but I've been meaning to go for ages - it's definitely on the cards for a visit next year.

These are all great, Adam! :)👍

Panning kart is perfect, I'd only have used less tilting, since the subject isn't that big on the frame.
Tilting tends (imo, of course) to work best the bigger the subject is, so as you have the less scenery possible tilted, which is what makes it less appealing.

The Astra one has a nice angle indeed. Are you maxed out on milimetres there? It'd be sweet if you could go closer and blur the background some more whilst increasing the size of the car in the frame a bit.

Drifting through the trees shot at 1/6 is fantastic. Great image whatever way you look at it.

I really like the editing on all the B&W ones, although most of them are not my favorites as photos themselves. But the editing is spot on. :drool:

Last set I commented on Flickr. Yup, I'm lazy. :sly:

Cheers mate! On the Astra one I am indeed maxed out on focal length, the disadvantages of only having a 250mm. :( Thanks for all the comments though, I'll certainly take them on board. :)

Photo wise I don't think I did anything spectacular really. I feel it's quite a average set.

A damn good average if you ask me. Nice set Adam. 👍

I agree with Cano, head to Adam's flikr page and check out some of the other great shots there as well. I will brows through them from time to time even if I forget to come here and comment on the work occasionally.

I guess it's one of the most difficult thing I found about motorsport photography is that as a photographer, you have very limited control. Access is restricted (even with a accreditation), the subject is almost always travelling at very fast speeds and you have no control over lighting. It really pushes a person as a photographer to make the most of it and try and come up with new and fresh ways to do the work while still conveying the action. When you do get that wicked set from a day at the track, it feels so damn good.

Great stuff, keep it up Adam.

I guess it's one of the most difficult thing I found about motorsport photography is that as a photographer, you have very limited control. Access is restricted (even with a accreditation), the subject is almost always travelling at very fast speeds and you have no control over lighting. It really pushes a person as a photographer to make the most of it and try and come up with new and fresh ways to do the work while still conveying the action. When you do get that wicked set from a day at the track, it feels so damn good.

True words of wisdom are oh so true. :bowdown:

I guess it's one of the most difficult thing I found about motorsport photography is that as a photographer, you have very limited control. Access is restricted (even with a accreditation), the subject is almost always travelling at very fast speeds and you have no control over lighting. It really pushes a person as a photographer to make the most of it and try and come up with new and fresh ways to do the work while still conveying the action.

True indeed. Snetterton appears to be one of the best circuits I've been to for not having to deal with fences. With two of the new raised viewing areas offering great views over multiple parts of the track...

Surely, to do it well without accreditation is 10× harder than with, being able to pick a spot, rather than fighting with other spectators/amateurs - no fences - less grief from the Marshalls whilst trying to get an interesting (or any) shot... surely thats 90% of the battle taken care of, then you've just got to worry about the technicalities?

Good shots though Adam! I struggled for inspiration at Snetterton, even with it's low fences :D

The kart in the second picture is called a Shifter Kart right? Excellent shots!

I'm not entirely sure if I'm honest! It does have a gearbox so that name would make sense! Cheers.

A damn good average if you ask me. Nice set Adam. 👍

I agree with Cano, head to Adam's flikr page and check out some of the other great shots there as well. I will brows through them from time to time even if I forget to come here and comment on the work occasionally.

Great stuff, keep it up Adam.

Cheers mate, I really appreciate it - especially coming from you. It really is a great feeling knowing you've tried some new stuff that has actually worked, the last set I felt like that for was probably Modified Live, I've had a lot of really nice comments about that set in general. I'm definitely going to keep striving to do new things and just trying to separate myself from the hoardes of other motorsport photographers. It's a difficult industry to break into, so being different is (IMO) key.

Very true!

True indeed. Snetterton appears to be one of the best circuits I've been to for not having to deal with fences. With two of the new raised viewing areas offering great views over multiple parts of the track...

Surely, to do it well without accreditation is 10× harder than with, being able to pick a spot, rather than fighting with other spectators/amateurs - no fences - less grief from the Marshalls whilst trying to get an interesting (or any) shot... surely thats 90% of the battle taken care of, then you've just got to worry about the technicalities?

Good shots though Adam! I struggled for inspiration at Snetterton, even with it's low fences :D

I wouldn't call Snetterton the best for fences! I'd have to give that accolade to Cadwell Park if I'm honest, I've said many times before that at Cadwell you really don't need to be accredited to get great shots - your barely a few metres away from the cars at all times!

And your right it is, I was accredited last weekend for BritCar at Snetterton and found the circuit to be fantastic. I found a lot of angles that I really liked and wished the general public had access too - it's not realistic but the public would love them! Also as a spectator I don't think I've ever had trouble from the marshal's, they're a great bunch (my friend marshals) and if you show them respect they usually show it back.

Problem I found with Snett is that it's just so flat! Or so I thought...

Your shots are nothing short of amazing :drool:

I love your super slow shutter speed shots. Me jelly :D

Keep up the good fantastic work.

Thanks! I really appreciate the kind words - must admit that's what everyone seems to say nowadays, it seems to be my trademark thing really.

Missed the last two sets... But this pic is absolutely awesome! Love it! 👍

Thanks!

I was at Snetterton last weekend, for the second week in a row, this time I was visiting BritCar but the vital difference to last week was that this was my first ever time having media credentials.

My opinion of Snetterton has changed, quite durastically too. For the past two visits I've hated it (BTCC & British GT) this time was completely different though. Media access does, in this case at least, open the angles up completely. I'm not saying this is the best set in the world, because frankly it isn't - but I do think it is an improvement over the BTCC & British GT sets that I did earlier this year. My home circuit is always going to produce the stronger sets IMO - but I wanted to get away from Cadwell. I needed a burst of inspiration of trying to catch that exploration feel that you get when you go to a circuit and Cadwell currently doesn't provide me with that.

Anyway, I hope more opportunities like this appear again, I certainly won't forget it and have learnt some valuable lessons. My next event isn't for a couple of weeks and could possibly be at Cadwell for the last time this year before heading off to circuits further afield.

More on Flickr as per the norm (including a Lotus having a bit of a explosion!) - Link

Here's what I got, C&C is welcome.

C&C very much welcome!

I wouldn't call Snetterton the best for fences! I'd have to give that accolade to Cadwell Park if I'm honest, I've said many times before that at Cadwell you really don't need to be accredited to get great shots - your barely a few metres away from the cars at all times!

Interesting, to be honest, I've now done all the tracks used on the BTCC calender, but I've still to go to an event at Cadwell or Mallory Park (or Castle Combe or Angelssey, but I'm not sure what races at those places!).

Also as a spectator I don't think I've ever had trouble from the marshal's, they're a great bunch (my friend marshals) and if you show them respect they usually show it back.

Well this is a point that normally triggers a long and possibly slightly offensive rant from me, I'll refrain on this occasion as I totally acknowledge the good work that they do do.. but I've issues, specific and general, with Marshalls :grumpy:

Anyway, another set of good photo's 👍

Interesting, to be honest, I've now done all the tracks used on the BTCC calender, but I've still to go to an event at Cadwell or Mallory Park (or Castle Combe or Angelssey, but I'm not sure what races at those places!).

Well this is a point that normally triggers a long and possibly slightly offensive rant from me, I'll refrain on this occasion as I totally acknowledge the good work that they do do.. but I've issues, specific and general, with Marshalls :grumpy:

Anyway, another set of good photo's 👍

Thanks mate, Cadwell is definitely worth a trip for any event. Of course BSB is the main event but I'm not a bike guy so any of the historic meets would be my pick - HSCC being the best normally!

#2 and #12 get my vote :)👍

Thanks!

This weekend I returned to my home circuit for the final time this year for BARC, as I've said previously I've felt a bit uninspired at Cadwell recently and despite trying some new things yesterday I don't feel like I have any new ideas or new angles - just going to the same areas again and again. Same angle, different car kind of thing, which isn't really how I like to approach photography. That said it was a good day and I enjoyed myself throughout the races.

Here's a selection from yesterday, there's more up on Flickr if you fancy a look. Link here.

C&C is welcome as per usual, I probably did a bit too much singular car shots but there aren't many overtaking spots at Cadwell to get side by side action!

C&C very much welcome!

Cheers,

Adam

Nice pix once again Adam 👍

#12 is especially good ;)

Haha, we are stupidly luckily in the UK for race tracks and I'm not sure everyone appreciates that fact; most circuits in the UK are only a 2 hour drive away from where I live.

It's thankfully similar for me. Cadwell, Oulton, Donington, Mallory, Rockingham and Silverstone are all within a couple of hours away for me. Snetterton and Anglesea are maybe 3 and a bit hours. Brands Hatch a little further still. Thruxton, Castle Combe, Lyden Hill, Knockhill and Goodwood are all 4+ hours.

Last edited:
Cadwell is, definitely, a much more enjoyable track -photographically speaking- than Snetterton. #10 of the last set is stupidly bad ass. SSSSSSSSSSOOOOOO MUCH SPEED.

Also, screw you ALL for having great tracks and racing action near you.

3, 5 and 10 all the way! :) What kind of lens do you use for your shots?

Back