Speedster's Gallery // July-October

Your photography is great Adam. Try contacting the MSA, HSCC and other racing clubs, all who produce member's newsletters/quarterly magazines.

Explain to them your situation and offer them some of your pictures for free for them to use in their editorials and race reports. They usually use professional photographers who'll likely charge them for their use. They don't make much money as organizations so free images are likely to be tempting.

If you are successful with this you'll have what you need for getting that media accreditation.

Thanks Dan, really appreciate it. Also thanks for the tip, might well just do that it's quite a good idea. If I'm honest I'd have to give away photos for free (if it's publication) anyway, so that is probably the easiest route. Still been getting more attention recently which is great, I hope it continues.

Moving onwards, another week another event (don't ask how I can afford to do this, because frankly I can't). This time, my favourite racing series FIA GT1 & GT3 ft. Super Trofeo & FIA GT4 Cup. Not my best batch if I'm honest, not particularly happy with the way the circuit has been transformed. There's now a lot of walking to get to the pit paddock, and that meant it took forever to get anywhere.

Anyway, C&C welcome full set is here: Here.

#10 - Too much fence?

Enjoy!

1, 8 and 9 are cracking and the rest of the set are all great although I do think there's a bit too much fence in 10. If I could take pictures like this I'd drive everyone mad showing them off!

Thanks Neal, really appreciate you taking the time to comment. It's funny I've had comments on Flickr in regards to #10 and some people seem to love it, others seem to hate it! Guess it really is a marmite shot. :lol:

And I think my friends do get fed up of me showing them! Even on here I get less comments than I used too!

Anything else on this guys? It's going to be a little while before my next event so it would be nice to rack up a few comments between now and then. :)

I really like #1 and #12. Gota love that Murcielago! By the way, did you see that crash actually happen in #3?

I really like #1 and #12. Gota love that Murcielago! By the way, did you see that crash actually happen in #3?

Cheers! Yeah I did, I was on the inside of the corner when it happened. I got some pictures of the crash but they weren't particularly in-focus! Was pretty brutal if I'm honest too.

If you look across from where the accident is taking place, you can actually see where I was standing (on the grass on the right-hand side).

Excellent work as usual Adam, if anything I'd say #5 needs a tighter crop.

Cheers man. I think I'd agree with that actually, I'll give it a go. 👍

Sorry, forgot about this thread!

I really love the photo taken from the outside of Copse with the snake of cars peeling through final kink behind.

1, 3, 4, 7 and 10 I like - having been in that situation as a photographer myself, I like the "screw the settings get the picture" of 3.

10 is exactly the shot I spent the best part of an hour trying (and failing) to get last year - if you can't get around an obsticle, incorperate it into your composition. Works well. My only criticism of 10 would be cutting the end of the rear wing off; I wouldn't personally use that shot for that reason, but that's just me.

IMO because 5 isn't cropped tightly it has a good "it's lonely out here" vibe about it.

How did I miss this? #1,#4,#9 and #10 for me, with #4 and #9 being my favourites. Really like the way that the cars being in focus draws your eye despite there being so much space around them. The black and white works very, very well with that GT-R shot, really beautifully done!

#10 is nicely done but, as said before, it's a pity that the wing got cut off and the front wheel being blocked by the horizontal bar in the fencing is a bit of a shame in my opinion. Still, overall it was much closer to being awesome than a load of rubbish, so give yourself a pat on the back.

I like your attitude to keep going out there and trying hard. It's very apparent in your shots that you are learning more each time you get trackside. I'm looking forward to more!

Sorry, forgot about this thread!

I really love the photo taken from the outside of Copse with the snake of cars peeling through final kink behind.

Not a problem! Cheers, I love that angle too. It's much easier to access now too, seeming that part of the circuit is pretty much dead of any activity!

Roo
1, 3, 4, 7 and 10 I like - having been in that situation as a photographer myself, I like the "screw the settings get the picture" of 3.

10 is exactly the shot I spent the best part of an hour trying (and failing) to get last year - if you can't get around an obsticle, incorperate it into your composition. Works well. My only criticism of 10 would be cutting the end of the rear wing off; I wouldn't personally use that shot for that reason, but that's just me.

IMO because 5 isn't cropped tightly it has a good "it's lonely out here" vibe about it.

Yeah, I did get a few shots before #3 happened (of the actual crash itself, but I was set to do panning shots so none of them worked!). Also I'd agree on the slight chop of the rear spoiler somewhat ruining #10. But, I certainly know for next time!

Cheers for the comments!

How did I miss this? #1,#4,#9 and #10 for me, with #4 and #9 being my favourites. Really like the way that the cars being in focus draws your eye despite there being so much space around them. The black and white works very, very well with that GT-R shot, really beautifully done!

#10 is nicely done but, as said before, it's a pity that the wing got cut off and the front wheel being blocked by the horizontal bar in the fencing is a bit of a shame in my opinion. Still, overall it was much closer to being awesome than a load of rubbish, so give yourself a pat on the back.

I like your attitude to keep going out there and trying hard. It's very apparent in your shots that you are learning more each time you get trackside. I'm looking forward to more!

No idea how you missed it. :P

In honesty, this section doesn't get that much attention anymore and it's a shame! I'd love this section to go back to how it used to be a couple of years ago, it was bustling with activity!

I really appreciate the comments, and I will keep myself going out (although it doesn't take much for me to want to go back out there). Next event is probably half way through July, unless I get myself to a track day...

Appreciate the comments guys!

I was there! Managed to take quite a bit of photos from the balcony of the Brooklands Suites but hardly any of them came out as good as they looked on my little lcd screen. :(

I was there! Managed to take quite a bit of photos from the balcony of the Brooklands Suites but hardly any of them came out as good as they looked on my little lcd screen. :(

Ah, I always have that problem! My LCD screen is very much deceiving. You should post some up anyway. :)

MSA British Superkart & British Sprint Championship

Here's my take on the MSA British Superkart GP at Cadwell Park. I attended both Saturday and Sunday, although on Saturday I didn't take many shots as I was completely soaked through (wasn't prepared at all for the dreadful weather, my fault). Sunday was much better and I was prepared for probably every possible weather condition. :lol:

Was an interesting event, must admit got a bit bored by the end of it but the Sprint Championship helped to keep things fresh. Anyway, I'd appreciate your comments on anything; good or bad! As per usual full set is on Flickr for those are interested (which has some other new angles that I found but didn't want to post here) - Link

That's all for now! C&C welcome. :)

I really really like #9 from the karting Adam, the pan and angle are just perfect. The barriers give you something else to look at but aren't distracting from the overall image, personally I think this is one of the best shots I've seen for you so far.

3, 5, 9 and 11 are great! Love the feeling of speed I'm getting from some of those pics. Did you shoot those with a tripod or by hand?

I love this shot, a lot. It's showing so little of the car and yet you can immediately see which one it is. :)

Thanks, that was one of my favourites from the GT1 meeting. I know a lot of other people who really liked it too. :)

I really really like #9 from the karting Adam, the pan and angle are just perfect. The barriers give you something else to look at but aren't distracting from the overall image, personally I think this is one of the best shots I've seen for you so far.

Thanks Tom, really appreciate it. :)

3, 5, 9 and 11 are great! Love the feeling of speed I'm getting from some of those pics. Did you shoot those with a tripod or by hand?

Cheers! All of these were taken handheld, tripod gets in the way too much at motorsport events. 👍

Nice shots Adam 👍

I think i'm right in saying, that the overall car lap record at Cadwell Park is held by a Superkart?

What were the single seaters you also captured? They look a bit like Pilbeams or Goulds, but they're usually Hillclimbers.

Nice shots Adam 👍

I think i'm right in saying, that the overall car lap record at Cadwell Park is held by a Superkart?

What were the single seaters you also captured? They look a bit like Pilbeams or Goulds, but they're usually Hillclimbers.

Thanks, really appreciate it. Overall lap record at Cadwell is a 1:21.138 and is held by a Formula Jedi Mk6. Superkart record isn't far off that though at a 1:22.27.

The single seaters that I got were actually part of the SBD British Sprint Championship, so they were indeed hillclimbers. :)

Very nice photos Adam. 👍
I really like #9 a lot! Great work!

Thanks!

Thanks, really appreciate it. Overall lap record at Cadwell is a 1:21.138 and is held by a Formula Jedi Mk6. Superkart record isn't far off that though at a 1:22.27.

The single seaters that I got were actually part of the SBD British Sprint Championship, so they were indeed hillclimbers. :)

I wasn't far off then. I've probably recalled that nugget of info from some years ago.

They must rarely host single seater races there. I know when the HSCC visits, they never run the quicker single seaters or sportscars series.

I wasn't far off then. I've probably recalled that nugget of info from some years ago.

They must rarely host single seater races there. I know when the HSCC visits, they never run the quicker single seaters or sportscars series.

Single seaters aren't as rare as you might think at Cadwell, whilst we don't get the really fast stuff, we often have Classic Formula Fords, Formula Jedi, Monoposto Championship and a couple of other events with single seaters there.

Of course, stuff like Radical, Caterhams and other kit cars are probably the most popular racing classes to visit.

I really wish they would run the quicker stuff though, I know the track's narrow but if the 800HP Time Attack cars can run the circuit (I know they don't technically race but overtaking is involved) I can't see why the other stuff can't.

Single seaters aren't as rare as you might think at Cadwell, whilst we don't get the really fast stuff, we often have Classic Formula Fords, Formula Jedi, Monoposto Championship and a couple of other events with single seaters there.

Of course, stuff like Radical, Caterhams and other kit cars are probably the most popular racing classes to visit.

I really wish they would run the quicker stuff though, I know the track's narrow but if the 800HP Time Attack cars can run the circuit (I know they don't technically race but overtaking is involved) I can't see why the other stuff can't.

There's not much run-off surrounding the twisty bits, i wouldn't want to be overlapping wheels in those sections, you could soon find yourself dodging tree trunks :scared: There's only so much Jim Clark-esq activity most people would want to emulate.

There's not much run-off surrounding the twisty bits, i wouldn't want to be overlapping wheels in those sections, you could soon find yourself dodging tree trunks :scared: There's only so much Jim Clark-esq activity most people would want to emulate.

Very true! Would be interesting to watch though. :scared:

#9 is awesome: you can almost see the 'chaser' gnashing his teeth, and the 'chased' sweating! Really puts across the action feel!

I chanced upon this thread and read only the first couple of pages, and then this page - most definitely an improvement 👍

I have also been attempting panning shots with my Canon 1000D and 18-300mm lens - I always understood that you needed to be on higher ISOs when taking action pics. The link here
photostream
is to one of the 'more interesting' results I got when photographing race cars - the Lucky Strike 917 is the pic I'm referring to. My settings for this were f/4, 1/320sec, ISO-400. I think I will try next time with ISO-100.

#9 is awesome: you can almost see the 'chaser' gnashing his teeth, and the 'chased' sweating! Really puts across the action feel!

I chanced upon this thread and read only the first couple of pages, and then this page - most definitely an improvement 👍

I have also been attempting panning shots with my Canon 1000D and 18-300mm lens - I always understood that you needed to be on higher ISOs when taking action pics. The link here
photostream
is to one of the 'more interesting' results I got when photographing race cars - the Lucky Strike 917 is the pic I'm referring to. My settings for this were f/4, 1/320sec, ISO-400. I think I will try next time with ISO-100.

Thanks man, glad to hear that you can see a improvement too! Definitely try panning with ISO100, it's what I pretty much use all the time (unless it's a bit grey where I might use 200/400). Best way to learn is to keep practicing!

Modified Live

I was at Cadwell Park for the third week in a row this weekend for the Modified Live event. It's a interesting experience, not my personal 'scene' but it's nice to shoot something completely different to the norm. Was incredibly difficult to get around, especially when the drifting was on - it was more of a case of pick a spot and stay there - even though I didn't and subsequently got stuck behind 3 rows deep crowd in some places.

That said, top work by the event organisers managing to get such a massive crowd to Cadwell. I don't feel this is my best work as I've felt a bit like I've over done Cadwell recently and need to visit some other tracks to freshen up a bit.

Anyway, onto some pictures. I may add some more when I've looked at them all. C&C is definitely welcome - sorry for the bias of drift shots but they were are joy to shoot despite the difficulties.

Full Set - Link

#1 - One of my favourite angles.

#2 - Different angle of the drifting from the other side of the circuit.

#4 - Played about a bit during the afternoon/evening session.

#6 - Another one of my favourite angles!

#7 - Typical drift-y sideways shot.

#8 - Playing with panning through the crowd...

#9 - Was nice to see a decent turn out.

#11 - 1/6th pan through the trees + sideways

#12 - Podium-ish shot.

As I say, C&C is welcome.

The ones I probably liked the most were 3,5 and 7 if only you got that mini shot from the front I think it would have looked better.

Sweet shots man! My favourite ones are the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th, and I'm fond of how background is blurred on the 7th shot from the sideways. 👍

Back