Spintires: Mudrunner/snowrunner

I started making a Volvo c303 in Dreams and thought I would see if someone had made one as a mod for Snowrunner on PC and lo and behold mods are now available on console! I haven't played the game much since release but now I'm gonna have to do some updates and check things out.

There was an update today - took about 15/20 mins on my system. Was hoping it would be a map update or something substantial, but can't see any difference to the game when I started it up. Anybody any idea what it was for?

The last update(phase 3), has screwed something up. They added some sort of memory restriction, and now I can only run two mods at the time, if I'm lucky. If I turn on the trailer pack, it's the only mod I can use, even though it's only a little over 200mb.

I tried deleting the game, and re-installing, and different combos of mods, but two is my max. Before the update, I had 4-5 running at once, without issue.

I'm on a ps4 pro, if anybody has some advice.

MMX
The last update(phase 3), has screwed something up. They added some sort of memory restriction, and now I can only run two mods at the time, if I'm lucky. If I turn on the trailer pack, it's the only mod I can use, even though it's only a little over 200mb.

I tried deleting the game, and re-installing, and different combos of mods, but two is my max. Before the update, I had 4-5 running at once, without issue.

I don't have any advice since I don't really use mods but does your PS4 Pro also work overtime while playing? Mine is typically louder than my TV.

Does anyone else see previously cleared tasks on the map again? I went back to Black River and noticed some trucks stuck in the mud, which must be recovered to the local farm. Thing is, pretty sure I already completed these particular tasks months ago. Not sure whether it has anything to do with the latest update as I haven’t played the game for a while.

I don't have any advice since I don't really use mods but does your PS4 Pro also work overtime while playing? Mine is typically louder than my TV.
Fan has not been running excessively, but does get some speed up on occasion.

Some observations from the new DLC:

The new maps are pretty good, nice mix of challenging areas and reasonable areas, so they are much more enjoyable than some parts of Kola Peninsula maps. Also, no snow! Hurray!

The new Pacific is surprisingly capable considering it doesn't have AWD. Must be down to its unique tires. It cruises through swampy areas pretty easily and seems fairly powerful for pulling stuff. Good truck, don't skip out on it just because of the lack of AWD like I did for the first few hours.

Logging is kind of annoying, mainly because you can only haul medium logs on a hitch trailer, meaning you can only haul 1 stack of medium logs at a time unless you wagon-train them with the winch. It means you need to find something to put on the back of any truck you are using to pull medium logs so that you actually have some weight on the rear wheels. No small logs this time.

They changed the shifting so now it's really slow to get into reverse... Dunno why they did this but it's really annoying, and if you try to rush it then you will often flip back up into auto. Needless change, but I've kinda gotten around it by just using auto for reversing now.

They made it so the service van addon thing is now painted to match your truck, which is kinda cool. Hopefully they keep adding paint for the other various frame addons and trailers, which imo would be a much better use of their time than adding dumb stickers and curtains to the truck cabs.

Just a warning, do NOT take the road along the East side of the Black Badger Lake map trying to get to the tunnel. You can't really tell from looking at the map, but the spot where you need to cross a stream is very off-camber, so I wouldn't try it with anything other than maybe the Tatarin. I made the mistake of hauling a bunch of stuff that way hoping to get to the tunnel, and it was a no-go and I had a hell of a time getting all the trailers turned around... then ran out of gas probably 5 truck-lengths from the gas station while trying to get back... bunch of wasted time there.

MMX

It's the same on the Xbox and for everyone basically. They said it was to help stability (which I haven't really had many issues with) but yeah it is overly restrictive. Fortunately I didn't rely on the mods too much and never used them on my main save game, but it has basically ruined the mod gameplay experience.

Some observations from the new DLC:

The new maps are pretty good, nice mix of challenging areas and reasonable areas, so they are much more enjoyable than some parts of Kola Peninsula maps. Also, no snow! Hurray!

Yeah I found the snow particularly tedious and I don't know what it was supposed to add to the game except frustration. It meant that the only scout you could use was the Tatarin, as all others were hopelessly slow. But I found that the snow wasn't the worst feature - it was at least traversable with the more powerful trucks. The main problem for me was the proliferation of rocks everywhere - loose rocks and rock outcrops at every turn. There's a particularly bad spot in Imandra map between the garage and the warehouse - its a kind of a chokepoint composed of loose rocks, rock outcrops and a mudpit. You have to get past this damn thing for many missions. It started getting old very quickly.

I did like the sense of total isolation you got, particulary from the lake Kovd map. But I think the developers tried to make this update too hard and just made it too boring.

Yeah I found the snow particularly tedious and I don't know what it was supposed to add to the game except frustration. It meant that the only scout you could use was the Tatarin, as all others were hopelessly slow. But I found that the snow wasn't the worst feature - it was at least traversable with the more powerful trucks. The main problem for me was the proliferation of rocks everywhere - loose rocks and rock outcrops at every turn. There's a particularly bad spot in Imandra map between the garage and the warehouse - its a kind of a chokepoint composed of loose rocks, rock outcrops and a mudpit. You have to get past this damn thing for many missions. It started getting old very quickly.

I did like the sense of total isolation you got, particulary from the lake Kovd map. But I think the developers tried to make this update too hard and just made it too boring.

I know the spot you are talking about, I hated it too.

I'm actually interested to see how they handle the difficulty for future titles. I thought they needed to step up the difficulty from MudRunner, but their attempts to do so in SnowRunner have often fallen kinda flat and ended up being more annoying/tedious/arbitrary. It actually kinda reminds me of GTA, but instead of spamming helicopters and gang members to chase you and randomly not letting you use certain features (Pegasus, Lester, etc), they just make deep snow and spam rocks all over the place.

I suppose it's a tough balance for a game like this though. Doing things the easiest way is the most efficient/logical, but it also robs you of the struggle that is a big part of the experience of the game.

I really want to like the Delta truck, that was added in the mods yesterday, but the steering is terrible. If there were cops in this game, I'd get pulled over, for suspicion of being intoxicated, or trying to remove a spider web, with all the flailing the driver does..

Logging is kind of annoying, mainly because you can only haul medium logs on a hitch trailer, meaning you can only haul 1 stack of medium logs at a time unless you wagon-train them with the winch. It means you need to find something to put on the back of any truck you are using to pull medium logs so that you actually have some weight on the rear wheels. No small logs this time.

I find it a bit disappointing that the 6 wheel trucks cannot transport logs by themselves. You need a trailer so there is a big waste of space involved and so it looks and feels daft. There should have been a bed add-on for the six-wheelers and then it would have been fun to add a trailer for a double load of small logs. Or just go solo on very difficult routes. I think that's the way it worked with small logs on Mudrunner.

I know the spot you are talking about, I hated it too.

I'm actually interested to see how they handle the difficulty for future titles. I thought they needed to step up the difficulty from MudRunner, but their attempts to do so in SnowRunner have often fallen kinda flat and ended up being more annoying/tedious/arbitrary. It actually kinda reminds me of GTA, but instead of spamming helicopters and gang members to chase you and randomly not letting you use certain features (Pegasus, Lester, etc), they just make deep snow and spam rocks all over the place.

I suppose it's a tough balance for a game like this though. Doing things the easiest way is the most efficient/logical, but it also robs you of the struggle that is a big part of the experience of the game.
Yeah, I feel this. I really enjoyed MudRunner, but this game is so punitive and slow to get going. I have only played it on and off as a result, but I still don't have proper off-road tires unlocked yet and can hardly get anything done. Ugh.

I find it a bit disappointing that the 6 wheel trucks cannot transport logs by themselves. You need a trailer so there is a big waste of space involved and so it looks and feels daft. There should have been a bed add-on for the six-wheelers and then it would have been fun to add a trailer for a double load of small logs. Or just go solo on very difficult routes. I think that's the way it worked with small logs on Mudrunner.

Yep, I used to do most of the log transport in MudRunner with double loads of small logs... for whatever reason I just found it more enjoyable to drive like that. Long logs were also interesting though, because they were actually really long and required careful manuevering to fit them down some of the trails and around corners. Now, medium logs are kinda like short logs that you can't haul on a truck, and long logs are basically like medium logs from MudRunner.

To add to the annoyance, there is only one trailer store on each of the new maps, so it's a long drag with an unloaded truck to get to the logging stations.

Yeah, I feel this. I really enjoyed MudRunner, but this game is so punitive and slow to get going. I have only played it on and off as a result, but I still don't have proper off-road tires unlocked yet and can hardly get anything done. Ugh.

Yeah, the level restricted tires are stupid, especially if you want to play the game at a very relaxed pace and keep on-theme and use the American trucks in America. Adding to it, most of the American trucks can't even put on real mud tires and are just stuck with the off-road tires, which while they still work, is a silly arbitrary restriction.

Another thing that makes the start tough is that some of the starting trucks, aside from their crappy tires, are also severely limited without upgrades. Like the Kodiak you get early... it's actually pretty capable when you get some good tires and the AWD upgrade for it, but you have to go to Alaska and other maps to find those, so if you are trying to play through things in order you won't have those parts until late.

You can get all-terrain and off-road tires at a much lower level for the scouts... Some deliveries it doesn't work with as you need a crane, but it can be pretty fun to use little scouts to pull the flatbed trailers full of stuff, but you have to pick and choose missions/contracts as they can't transport concrete slabs or steel beams as easily as a big truck.

On the other hand though, it does make the first part of the game very tactical, and you have to heavily adjust your route to make up for your all-terrain tires, and Michigan maps do have quite a few paved roads on them. If you have a friend to play with, it actually makes the early part of the game very cooperative, as you will have to work together and winch and etc to get through some areas and, in hindsight, it was actually kind of a fun part of the game when playing with my friend.

Last edited:
Is there any news about whether Snowrunner is going to be on Steam? (preferably with a huge "1 year anniversary discount" !! :gtpflag:)

I have been trying out the Mods on Xbox. Most are fun, but way overpowered compared to vanilla. I really like the Zikz truck pack though, other than the huge crane being useless for some reason.

Edit: I have figured out why trucks with OHD1 off-road tires are so much better in the mud than ones with UOD2, despite both having a 1.9 rating in mud. It comes down to weight, OHD tires are twice as heavy as UOD. The same goes for the Chain variants also. American Trucks like the ANK and M916a should get OHD tires as an option, so they do not feel inferior to the Russian equivalents imo.

Last edited:
Picked up this again after a long time of not touching it. I'm so far behind, I didn't realize that the phrase three map was up. I'm still trudging through Lake Kovd. :lol: As much as I'm not a huge fan of the Kola Peninsula. I want to fully complete it before moving on to the others.

Picked up this again after a long time of not touching it. I'm so far behind, I didn't realize that the phrase three map was up. I'm still trudging through Lake Kovd. :lol: As much as I'm not a huge fan of the Kola Peninsula. I want to fully complete it before moving on to the others.

Dude I'm the same way. Except I'm trying to complete everything I can on Michigan still hahaha. To be fair though I have completed Alaska first

Apparently I play too much. Completed the game, and hit level 30 twice, before the mod update came out. I'm only 3 contracts away from completing Wisconsin. I saved the logging for last. I think the RWD only 512, might be better than the AWD 5600.

I wasn't that keen on the Kola Peninsula either, and was glad to get it behind me. The second map, Imandra, is the most frustrating, with boulder traps all over the place. I don't know how far you are into this stage, but I'd advise you to use the Tatarin as a scout/rescue vehicle as it cuts through the snow quickly, but the downside is that it is useless on steep icy surfaces as you can't put chained tyres on it.
The update in phase three installed a few logging missions in this map, but I'm not sure if I could be bothered going back to it to complete them.

The Azov 64131 on chains and Loadstar on offroads were my two most used trucks in Imandra.

There are rumors a hardcore mode may be coming in phase 4.

Last edited:
I don't know how far you are into this stage, but I'd advise you to use the Tatarin as a scout/rescue vehicle as it cuts through the snow quickly, but the downside is that it is useless on steep icy surfaces as you can't put chained tyres on it.

I've opened the garage, which was a complete pain and from memory that's what stopped me playing it for a long while. :lol: I did all the watch towers aside from one. I've been really liking the Yar 87, that's proved itself very useful around Kovd. The Tatarin is definitely my go to scout though.
The update in phase three installed a few logging missions in this map, but I'm not sure if I could be bothered going back to it to complete them.

Yeah, I noticed that there have been a new missions added to the original locations. I'll get around to that one day, maybe.

Last edited:
I decided to go ahead and buy the Apache and Western Star 49x. The Apache is a very good scout, it needs a trailer hitch because it can drag almost anything behind it. The 49x so far has not impressed me, I was thinking it would be a modern WWS, it isn't. That tag axle will make you tip over every time you even think about climbing over rocks. The Derry 3194 doesn't have that issue in my experience. It can do the crane + flatbed + tow a trailer trick, and it's pretty good on fuel even with upgrades.

So the Apache is pretty good, sadly imo the 49x is really only useful to sell for something better at the beginning.

I really don't understand the Wisconsin map. How in the hell did a hurricane hit northern Wisconsin? That, like, can't happen. I've been to northern Wisconsin and I don't remember it looking anything like that either. I like the map and everything, it just seems weirdly place. Also, sequoias? Those don't exist anywhere in America outside California.

It's pretty obvious they just (re)used the Michigan assets to build the Wisconsin maps. It almost seems like maybe rural Tennessee?circa 1960, in overall feel to me. It's fine, but not great for immersion purposes.

The original Spintires is gone from Steam (not the Mudrunner remake). Anyone know why? I still have it under my Steam account (though not downloaded yet).

Meanwhile still no sign of Snowrunner coming to Steam :irked:

Last edited:
Finally hit 100% on the Kola Peninsula (well, at least until they decide to add new missions to it). I'd say aside from the logging missions, which took me longer than I care to admit and where frustrating as hell. It wasn't completely awful. Kinda of got into a rhythm with what routes to take and what to avoid. Looking forward though to moving over to Yukon and not having to put with thin ice and freakin boulder field's everywhere for a while.

Last edited:
Back