Standard cars ARE in GT6. (100% confirmed)

• Thread starter CAMAROBOY69
  • 1,429 comments
Which is great.

I imagine the majority of the visual differences will remain though. And it's somewhat debatable whether a cockpit view constitutes a functional difference or a visual one.

It's functional, when you race with the HUD off. It's actually much more functional than adding a new set of rims to your standard car.

"Will there be “Standard Cars” in GT6?

We won’t be making all the Standard cars from GT5 into Premium models, and we won’t make all of the GT5′s Standard cars fully “Premiumized”.
Reading this over again, I was puzzled just what Kaz meant, but I think I get it now. It seems he's saying that there will be three tiers of cars, which I'm sure will make a number of people here immediately clench. ;) But let me say what I think the result will be.

Premium cars: photo quality rides we're familiar with.

Sub-Premium cars: Standards worked to the point that, other than interiors, you may not be able to tell the difference without close scrutiny.

Super-Standard cars: what we have with the Standards in Photo Mode in GT5, but with improved high resolution skins and un-faceted curves such as with wheel wells.

I agree that functionally, all cars will likely be the same, with working pop-up headlights and wipers. We might have the crazy detail in all headlights, though I suspect the tinted windows will return to the point that interiors are vague. Some work done on interiors to add detail but not much. If the reworked Standards are of the quality of the Lamborghini Countach from the Silverstone trailer, I doubt too many will complain.

Edit: I would be happy if they looked slightly better than these, which I already love.

Last edited:
Some standard cars looks just fine. They need to model cockpit view for most. I think they said all will not have cockpit. But graphics wise with adaptive tessellation and if they add high textures resolution it will look nice

The fact that standard now have working wipers and flashlights and some improvement in detail, whether it be just teselation or something more, that all is fine and I am fine with it either.

Not "some improvements", but "improvements to some":

Kaz
In terms of graphics quality, the bad quality Standard models we’ve updated so they look better.

Considering he added that qualifying "bad", it certainly doesn't sound like every one has had attention. Considering they weren't touched between GT4's late 2004 release and GT5's late 2010, I can't imagine they were able to touch up 800+ in less than three years.

Of course, it's entirely possible he meant every single Standard when he said "bad quality Standard". Which would make things interesting...

How exactly did you infer that?

Wishful thinking.

Some standard cars looks just fine. They need to model cockpit view for most. I think they said all will not have cockpit. But graphics wise with adaptive tessellation and if they add high textures resolution it will look nice

It's already been covered on this very page how AT is not some magical "instant-quality" modifier for the Standards. Tornado's comparison is actually pretty much spot on!

My new speculations of the standard cars:

- Some will actually look closer to premium status.
- Several more standards from GT5 will probably be premiums in GT6.
- The bad looking standard cars will have slight improvements (No faded paint schemes and no more jagged lines on things such as the finders and windows).

Sub-Premium cars: Standards worked to the point that, other than interiors, you may not be able to tell the difference without close scrutiny.
How exactly did you infer that?
Wishful thinking.
Reading this over again, I was puzzled just what Kaz meant, but I think I get it now. It seems he's saying that there will be three tiers of cars, which I'm sure will make a number of people here immediately clench. ;) But let me say what I think the result will be.
Some people have trouble with reading comprehension. ;)

But seriously, I understand the doubt. I just prefer to think positively, and on this, I think I'm on good ground. The main point: my Photomode pics are rendered using the old GT5 engine. Everything in GT6 was reworked from the foundation up, so I expect Standard cars to look about this good, at a minimum. Wishful thinking? I don't care, I'm fine with that. You can be grumpy all you want, but that's not my thing. I'm the wonder-eyed little kid inside, remember? And I think I'm much happier for it. :)

That Nomad still looks like an awful rendering, the others shown by Tenacious actually look much better especially the McLaren F1 GT

I think it will be pretty black and white since PD usually operate that way, it will either be a Premium or Standard.

My Issue with standard cars on GT5 weren't necessarily not having an Interior.... it was they had the most random physic models thrown in with them and were severely limited in tuning at times... The little escapade PD pulled by giving certain cars the ability to reach 600+HP and 500pp was the final straw... hours of tuning just went down the drain and cars that were considered bad suddenly became god-like.. I just don't know I'm going to bite on GT6... I might just grab Forza... Now if they released Gt6 with 200 Premiums and gave us DLC of DIFFERENT cars every 3-4 months... they could take my money now.

...Now if they released Gt6 with 200 Premiums and gave us DLC of DIFFERENT cars every 3-4 months... they could take my money now.

So you WILL be getting GT6 then as it will be released with more than 200 premiums (+ all the 'standards' of course) and has been stated to have monthly DLC coming - just how DIFFERENT the cars will be remains to be seen however. :sly:

So you WILL be getting GT6 then as it will be released with more than 200 premiums (+ all the 'standards' of course) and has been stated to have monthly DLC coming - just how DIFFERENT the cars will be remains to be seen however. :sly:

They've said monthly track DLC, I don't believe they've mentioned their policies regarding car DLC.

let me guess:

around 600 Premium, and every month 5 standard cars will be transformed to premium by DLC...

would be cool

I may be the only one, but I'm thrilled like a schoolgirl that the FT-86 Concept is still there. Really looking forward to trying it with the new physics and tire/suspension dynamics. :D

I'm thrilled about it too Tenacious D. Especially about the FT-86 Concept II; I could only have one of those in GT5 and I choose to keep it stock, but I never got a chance to see what it would be like to modify. If I can buy it in GT6, I'll be able to give it a try with full upgrades.

I'm glad the Touring Cars will be returning too. I welcome all returns because I want to re-experience them with the new physics, suspension, and aerodynamic calculations.

Wait a second! There is a standard F2007 in the OCD! Sooooo, they DO have a code that can translate a standard to premium. Must be. There is also an ENZO in the OCD. Now, it could be the same (standard) ENZO from GTPSP but, this one looks better rendered. *scratches head* Why in the world did they do this extra work?

I just don't see why they would "build" a standard rendered F2007 just for kicks. Unless some of you GT wizards can explain. Please, enlighten me.

It's better rendered because it is rendered 4 times higher than GTPSP with a higher texture resolution.

As to why they did it, it's because GTPSP connectivity was hyped up as a major feature at the time of release.

I guess PD's talk about how long designers take to build and render a car is bunch of hype too(meaning they have plenty of staff to make cars if they can make those two Ferrari's for GT5 OCD). I look at my PSP ENZO in GT5 Arcade Mode, it's "reflective" like GT2. Too bad they couldn't update a code(if thats even possible) to make it read like the better rendered one.

I know the standard vehicles in Gran Turismo are made-up by a single mesh. But I just had a thought... Why on earth doesn't Polyphony do a laser scan of a few hundred cars? It'll take 2-3 hours per car to scan, and a further hour or so waiting for the machine to piece-together each of the scans, since you will have laser targets placed around the vehicle.

As a result, the model produced is a millimetre-perfect replica of the real car, with accurate colours and rendering... Produced in no time. They could use these new exterior models to replace the existing 'standard' car models in the game, and they can then continue working on the car as a premium model for the following GT game.

Does Polyphony even do laser-scanning on cars?

I know the standard vehicles in Gran Turismo are made-up by a single mesh. But I just had a thought... Why on earth doesn't Polyphony do a laser scan of a few hundred cars? It'll take 2-3 hours per car to scan, and a further hour or so waiting for the machine to piece-together each of the scans, since you will have laser targets placed around the vehicle.

As a result, the model produced is a millimetre-perfect replica of the real car, with accurate colours and rendering... Produced in no time. They could use these new exterior models to replace the existing 'standard' car models in the game, and they can then continue working on the car as a premium model for the following GT game.

Does Polyphony even do laser-scanning on cars?

Is there even a need to scan when you have the CAD data directly from the manufacturers?

They do laser scanning on cars, It is much more complicated than just getting the laser scan, feeding it into the computer and having your end product since a car is too big to have a machine do (what they use for fossils and clay models for cgi) they have to scan many times from set points. All the scans need to be tied/merged together into components and scaled to be the same, then they need tidied up after, if not before, then cross checked with the real car, then modified into parts that can be used to create the final car which takes a while too. This needs to be done for every part of the model, there is probably about 50 different ones. Some cant be done easily with the laser so have to be done by measuring (mainly the interior). Then the axis of the moving parts need to be applied for physics and animation. Then the textures have to be created. And then modeling and animating the gauges. This is all a LOT of work, even before learning and implementing physics parameters and sound recording & mixing.

So all the laser scanner is useful for is creating models of the body panels to give an accurate depth, curves and awkward shapes you find on a car. It does probably take as long as they say with pd's relatively small workforce. There is a **** tonne of man power involved to do this, and many people here take it for granted, complain and have no apreciation of what happens behind the scenes. PD also take such care modeling the cars, they are very accurate and look incredibly convincing

There is evidence of PD using this tech. Here's an excerpt from a Jalopnik article on the scanning of the Art Morrison 'Vette:

The key to the binary reproduction of the Corvette came in a box with a crew of two. In a darkened room a thin red beam of light shot from the box across the up on the rack Corvette, and relayed data through a three-quarter inch data cable snaking from the back of the black box on a tripod. Art and son Craig Morrison were both amazed.P

"The first scan they did was the underside of the car. They did a pan of the chassis. As they were scanning it, in real time, there was a 3-D wireframe model being built of the car on the screen. You could actually see the relationship between the body mounts and the floor. You could see the exhaust and the clearance that the exhaust had. You could see the tread pattern on the tires, the horns, and all the fasteners holding those in place, the whole chassis, the headers, the oil pan - everything", said Craig.P

After the bottom half of the car was scanned in the rack was dropped and the interior transferred into binary for a complete 3-D model.P

"It was bizzare. A red line swept across the interior. It was sort of a spacey type of a deal. The room was somewhat dimly lit, and you would see this red line sweep across - bzzzzzzzzt. As soon as it finished it was producing a 3d wireframe model to scale on the screen", said Art.P

When the scan was complete a full 3d model of the car was soon rotating around on the computer screen. With a click or two of the mouse the entire car began unfolding in three dimensions on a screen in front of Art and Craig's eyes. To fill in the wireframe back at GTHD central a four-person crew took video and still imagery of the car.P

"They took video of me going through the gears, and the starting sequence of the car. Turning the wheel. Setting the e-brake. Pulling the hood release. Hi-beam Lo-beam. Everything." said Craig.P

While the binary crew is likely to come along for some more work when the Vette goes out for track testing in April of 2007, the method in which actual car handling translates into accurate gameplay remains mysterious. Art Morrison asked the digital crew a question from an analog chassis builder perspective. "Obviously an F1 car handles better than a Toyota Corolla, but how do you make it handle better on the screen"?P

The answer will remain a secret, but as the Gran Tursimo faithful know the cars on the screen really do handle like their genuine counterparts. To insure the car handles as it should the Project Manager on hand promised an advance digital copy of the Corvette to Art and Craig for an in-game handling test. Astounding is that it will likely take more hours to reproduce the digital version of the Corvette for Gran Turismo than did building the analog nuts and bolts version.P

"They have a crew of 40 people that are going to spend the next six months building our car for the game. That's the amount of detail", said Craig.P

We know for a fact that PD uses this technique along with using the CAD data from manufacturers in the modeling process. There are probably other means of obtaining data but they aren't really well documented.

Last edited:
Well standards for whatever reason have worst texture quality than they did in GT3's dealer .. then again they have texture quality on par with most racing games , im looking at forza AI and motor storm apocalypse AI..

Back