Stop Quitting the race if you're the host

• Thread starter bill1250
  • 477 comments
Sorry I can't detect sarcasm through a phone line :P and if you were serious about number 1 wow, thats all i can say.

I don´t mind hosting, and sure won´t get a slow line with horrible response. That´s why I´ve gotten myself a fiber 10 Mbit SDSL line.
What I don´t understand is why people deliberately disconnect every time they lose their position, spin out or otherwise messes things up. They probably need the exercise, so why not just drive around and sharpen up their drive?*
Now a days you even get good price money even though you´re not finishing in the top three. So there is no excuse, really. No one seriously hates you for a fluke caused by hardware related failure. But quitting repeatedly out of being pissed by others seems a bit egocentric.

What I don´t understand is why people deliberately disconnect every time they lose their position, spin out or otherwise messes things up. They probably need the exercise, so why not just drive around and sharpen up their drive
Yes, hosting or not, I'll just carry on to the end, I need the practice.

Yes, hosting or not, I'll just carry on to the end, I need the practice.

You can practice offline also, and if you are one of those guys that choose online to have a greater chalenge against skilled human oponents, you can really get annoyed if suddenly you find yourself: a) hosting a session; b) full of retards.

Last night I was playing TRD3 online (hosting a session) and I remembered this thread. I was racing a championship with two friends, using the 1950's F1 Mercedes (very, very hard to drive).

When we got to the third race of the championship (Spa-Francorchamps), suddenly there were two more racers in the lobby. They both had american flags and their usernames were something like "CJ97" and "JVW99".

I thought that if the numbers meant birth years we were having two kids racing. And that was confirmed by their voices speaking to each other.

So ... I immediatly changed the collision settings to "none" (that means the cars are "ghosted", but they still look normal, ie solid cars), but left the "damage" on. I told everyone present that I did it and ... off we go to start the race.

If you know Spa, you know that just after the grid you have a short straight that leads you to a very slow hairpin (you have to break hard and, with this cars, soon).

SO, it was fun to watch the two kids's cars (started at the back of the grid) just fly through our own cars and smash themselves hard against the wall at the end of the straight.

(one of them said, a few seconds before impact and while he was still realizing that he couldn't use our cars as brakes ... "whaddahellll .... " and then CRASHHH !!!)

bottom line, they totalled their cars in the first corner, immediatly left the session and we could go on racing as usual.

It was funny :lol: but I remembered this thread because I realized that if I was playing GT5P I couldn't do nothing to prevent those two kids from ruining our race.

Nope, that's not true:
It is stated here on the forum that people ram others because the game let's them. Conclusion: the rule is: you can ram others, since when you're doing things against the rules, the game will punnish you with a penalty.

The game LET's a host quit a game he/she is hosting, so obviously, quiting is not against the rules since the game let's you. When quitting the game states that this me be frowned upon by others, well, so is ramming other competitors.

Yea i'm sorry but what you just said was probably one of the dumbest things i've heard in a while, and I don't think I need to explain why either.

Nope, that's not true:
It is stated here on the forum that people ram others because the game let's them. Conclusion: the rule is: you can ram others, since when you're doing things against the rules, the game will punnish you with a penalty.

The game LET's a host quit a game he/she is hosting, so obviously, quiting is not against the rules since the game let's you. When quitting the game states that this me be frowned upon by others, well, so is ramming other competitors.

The game LET's you turn around and go the other direction, trying to take out as many cars as possible. 👍

Yea i'm sorry but what you just said was probably one of the dumbest things i've heard in a while, and I don't think I need to explain why either.
Sjef is only re-stating what another person said, it is not his own opinion (well, I hope it isn't).

Well yesterday it happened to me. I was getting bump around and cars wouldn't let me pass them on the straights. I got used to the way they drove and still ended up passing them. two seconds after I get in first place the host ended the game :grumpy:. It got me upset as I was on the verge of finishing the race.

Same here.Started last on the grid and moved up to first...then "you have been disconnected from the server' pops up..3 races in a row.

I refuse to play online until a patch is released to support private lobbys. Feed up with most of these clowns. :ouch:

We'll just have to wait for a comment from Sjef himself to sort this out. If he was not being sarcastic, then we can start all over with discussions about rasing childeren and maybe even grown-ups (or those who pretend to be grown-up) with regard to online racing.

I'd love to myself, but there is no grounds. Not tonight anyway. I've been racing many races tonight (hosting most myself) and no one quit as a host, not one time. And that is quite rediculus, people refuse to live up to our expectations! What is becoming of this world? :(

This is what I have learned, stay behind the host because if they lose control and are in last place, they will more than likely quit. Then, your two laps for the most part have been wasted.

The hosting system has to go.

Today I entered 21 matches. I counted them. Every time the host started to lose, or his "swing around the barrier wall" cheat did not work out, he disconnected. I only completed 4 matches. I could not have been more upset.

To top it off, a good number of the races in the PP700 were entered by a guy named SayNoToJoose. He, for some reason I can not explain, was the host every single time. SayNoToJoose and a few of his buddies kept entering the PP700 Suzuka race with Suzuki Cervos and did nothing more than to wreck people going into turn one on purpose and then, once the fun was over, he disconnect the server every single time. Multiple hosts did this, not just that guy.

Getting increasingly frustrated, I switched to the PP600 Suzuka races hoping for some luck. I was able to complete two races that the host did not disconnect. What's up w/ that?

During one of those PP600 sessions, I finally found a good close race. What happened soon after I nudged myself into first place? I lost connection to the PSN!!!. That was on my end and it rarely happens. That was my fault and I am sorry for those who got disconnected on my account. Things like that happen that are beyond our control so I don't have a problem with those kind of issues.

However, I am getting increasingly frustrated at those who are ruining the online races and if you are a host who disconnects the whole grid, you need to stop. I am going to start jotting down the names of those who do it constantly so the GT community knows who you are.

I hope that PD will use proper servers in the future as the whole "random hosting" thing is a sham and is sure to ruin the online component for everyone in the future. I am sick of staring at the "Connecting to other players..." screen longer than I am in an actual race.

And if the host isn't quitting you're getting rammed off the track or fall victim to a sudden lack of grip because of the rubberband online physics or have no chance to win thanks to wall surfers at HSR

Online needs a big patch SOON

Although I will admit if they add simple features like the ability to save online replays and more interesting online race events that would sedate me for a bit

Oh man I cannot agree with you more. I entered 15 or so..Well maybe 7-8 event we finished. I am getting so sick of it, I am considering to stop racing online... Its gotten so bad that I can't go a race without being booted out of the way. I stopped bothering with the Black list..it does nothing for us. The best races I have ever had have been with GTP guys. Find those guys and you will have a better experiance.

I do feel your pain!

I have most of the cars I want but I am short of cash for the Ferrari F2007. My plan was to run a few races this weekend so I could get my hands on it.

To make matters worse, I mainly use the Tamora in the PP600. I have the Standard World Record w/ it at Suzuka (for now) so I am fairly comfortable w/ the car. However, it is underpowered in the straights and everyone is passing me if I can't catch a good lead through the corners. Being that I seldom got into a race that could be completed, I began driving too aggressively out of frustration (and desperation) and ended up knocking a couple of fellas off the track. Sorry guys.

The thing that gets me is that, whether you win or lose, you still get a fairly hefty sum of cash just for finishing. I was just trying to make some "mullah". I could care less tonight what place I finished. Finish the race...everyone gets paid.

I was at Suzuka today with a F40 I was there 6 times and each time I was.. well you can guess? Booted off the track. Or 50% of the time the host quit the race. Boy I get so upset when that happens. I keep telling myself its JUST A GAME and better things are to come. Man its like Earth was saying in the Black List thread if you are not a fast driver with a fast car you will be booted each time. No one has a ounce of concept when it comes to braking in the corner. Now I will admit myself I have hit people in the corner. I guess I won't use excuses, I either I was still learning when to brake with the car I was using or I got too ambitous to underbraked the corner.

I also said this in another thread. I stopped posting in the Black List because there is no point, it does no good for us. Just make me more upset when I read it.

Suzuka is the worst track. I had lots of fun at Daytona Road Course. I thought, "wow things are getting much better online" well then I went to Suzuka and all the old crap came back. People ramming you out of the way on the chicane or using you as a brake on the final chicane of the lap. Then frustrated people disconnecting.

Suzuka is a cool tack but it's also very challenging. Better to avoid it. Think about it, most of the complaints are about Suzuka.

Suzuka is the worst track. I had lots of fun at Daytona Road Course. I thought, "wow things are getting much better online" well then I went to Suzuka and all the old crap came back. People ramming you out of the way on the chicane or using you as a brake on the final chicane of the lap. Then frustrated people disconnecting.

Suzuka is a cool tack but it's also very challenging. Better to avoid it. Think about it, most of the complaints are about Suzuka.

Oh I love Daytona Road Course. But I had so many bad things happen to me there. I was in the F512BB today, in 5 races I was moved out of the way a few times..Suzuka is a very fun track. Most of the time I can just run my race and the people ahead of me will wreck each other or beat themselves. But that days I am unluck or trying a new car.. Like today I tried to race with the F40 and I booted everytime from the lead. Just for once I would like to have a good race at Suzuka.

I think I am going to start racing Fuji. How are the wreckers and disconnectors there as opposed to Suzuka?

Being that the track selection is limited, Suzuka is my current favorite. It's a real shame. Imagine Laguna Seca with those clowns. :ouch:

I would like Daytona Speedway and Road, but the slingshot catch-up is for the birds so I usually pass.

The only downside is that I usually only stick to a couple of cars and really work my setups and driving style. I have to start all over to get really competitive with a new track and set...and Grand Theft Auto IV comes out tomorrow!!! My racing is gonna be on the backburner for a couple of weeks so I expect that I will get a little rusty.

I think I am going to start racing Fuji. How are the wreckers and disconnectors there as opposed to Suzuka?

Being that the track selection is limited, Suzuka is my current favorite. It's a real shame. Imagine Laguna Seca with those clowns. :ouch:

I would like Daytona Speedway and Road, but the slingshot catch-up is for the birds so I usually pass.

It has been in my experience that races at Fuji are just as bad. If you can get past all the Johhny_Idiots then it gets really good. Fuji is a hard place to race and most Johhny_morons fall back so you can have a good race. The good thing is the host hasn't quite more than a few times when I have been there. So good luck

I guess I need to find a car that can accelerate well and maintain higher speeds. (For Fuji and Daytona)

I prefer to race cars that hardly anyone else uses. I am so sick of seeing most of the pack in the same dang cars. I love whooping up on dudes in a "lesser" car for the given track but it aint gonna happen with lots of long straights.

I always cringe on Fuji when people take that long sweeping (usually 4th gear) right-hander with way too much speed and slow down and then cut in abruptly. I get knocked out there so many times. I have to choose caution over competitiveness...usually at the cost of good position.

Oh the kitty litter? (sand pit) I love those things. I can't be competitive sometimes because I am too worried about getting booted online. When I look in the mirror more then the road ahead to usually take myself out. I wish just for one race I could not worry about it and race my race.

I just bought the tuned Viper to try at Fuji. It's "all right" if I am careful with the throttle but I had to detune it a bit to be able to enter. I got the gears set pretty good, but I'll have to tinker with the suspension a bit. I don't think it has enough in it to be a first place car in my hands. Those Evo's are kicking my rear end. :) Four straight second places but the leader is always close to the finish as I round the final corner.

I had good luck with 6 races and only got disconnected one time and I don't think it was intentional because everyone was racing close and clean when it happened. Everyone was pretty courteous as well. I guess I got lucky.

I love Suzuka but I drive only in Pro with 700PP.

Besides I am lucky that I am host in 90% of time. It seems host is determined by connection speed and with my 25Mbit cable there are few times I join a race.
Usually it is like seeing the connecting screen for 3-5s and then I host a race :).

I love Suzuka because of the kitty litter. It is tricky but there you have to be a good driver so all the bad drivers usually boot themselves out. Sometimes of course I also do mistakes but with my Viper I can already drive pretty steady. On friday I drove 15 races straight, means 45 rounds without one mistake at mine side and won 11 of the 15 races. In one race second place was <1s behind me for 3 laps and I was so nervous and shaking but still managed to finish without a mistake that was really a hard race! But I have to admit that I had to drive carefully since both us were leading probably with >10s and the grip lost was very big from round 2 :(.

I have yet to try any other track but I don't like any of them. I hated Fuji in GT4 and it hasn't changed in GT5P. HSR is not a challanging track and thanks to wall riders rather uninteresting. Daytona Oval is far to boring, for me the fun of a track are the combinations of corners and straights ;). Daytona Roadcourse is interesting but I have problems to find proper braking points since there are no signs for orientation. In London I am afraid to see a lot of wall rider aswell. Besides the course is too short for 3 lap races.

My girlfriend and myself found it hilarious when I saw a host spin off into the dirt on the S turns at Suzuka when I said "And here's the part where we disconnect..." and sure enough, no more than 5 seconds later...

By the way, nice racing BLugar. I remember the guy who was getting into it with you in one race, and he tried it with me too, so if you know his name and can assist with it, add it to the blacklist if you want. Freight something. I don't know, but his attempts to take us out were in vein.

I love Suzuka but I drive only in Pro with 700PP.

I love Suzuka because of the kitty litter. It is tricky but there you have to be a good driver so all the bad drivers usually boot themselves out.

+1 for that. I'm only playing Expert 700PP Suzuka, purely cos i love the track. Using a F430 (so max tune i get around 693). Heaps of fun being had...most of the time :)

I gotta agree that it's frustrating with a) quality of some drivers and b) host disconnecting. Honestly, I'm happy to have a good race with someone down in 12th- it's all about the enjoyment.
But it's so frustrating to be racing clean and fast up the front, just to get punted off into the sand traps by "inexperienced" drives, especially when I consider myself to be pretty fair (letting people back in front, not passing unless it's clean, etc.). Equally so when the host has a hissy-fit.

Can't wait for private rooms :P

Back