Streets is Real on the Cul De Sac - 2018 Toyota Camry

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 159 comments
It's like they're trying to make it look like a Lexus. It would look better if the bumper was all body color with the black grille inserts. With the chrome grille piece, the black section looks completely out of place, like it was tacked on as an afterthought.

It doesn't look too bad in red, but that white one in the dealership looks terribly cheap, like something the Chinese would come up with.

Not too sure about the XSE model. It might be good for all we know but who the hell is going to even consider buying a "sporty" Camry?

It doesn't look too bad in red, but that white one in the dealership looks terribly cheap, like something the Chinese would come up with.

Not too sure about the XSE model. It might be good for all we know but who the hell is going to even consider buying a "sporty" Camry?
Young people, I guess.

The Chinese has the upperhand this time:
BYD Qin (est.2013)
2447098339546719021.jpg

I know this is a very old post... but I've been dying to drive that car since I heard about it.

A compact sedan (2,660 mm wheelbase, shorter than a Mazda3) with a 43 mile (70 km) electric range and nearly 300 horsepower... that can hit 100 km/h in under six seconds (est. 60 mph in 5.5s).

Yes, please.

Same thing with the new Corolla, honestly. I feel like that car mostly looks best in darker colors, and I think the Camry is going to reflect that as well. All well and good, I say. Anything to get fewer white and silver cars on the road (even though I'd probably get white anyway).

Motor Trend seemed to indicate that the XSE is better than previous SE efforts, but its still a pretty dull place to be compared to suitably sport competitors. Then again, expecting much more than aggressive trim and some different damping, well, you're not going to get much. I'll stick to a stripper Mazda 6 for fun in the mid-size segment.

I'll tell you one thing though, if I'm forced to drive this car, I'll at least won't feel like your typical middle-aged to elderly driver that are usually behind the wheels of these things.

Akio Toyoda knows what he is doing.

His cars are still selling like hot cakes apparently.

Don't Camries handle well though? I feel with a bit of moderate tuning, the XSE could be a potential track runner...

Handling well and being enjoyable to handle are two not-necessarily-related concepts. My grandfather's Camry has handling levels far higher than any midsized sedan from 10 years ago, I'm betting; but I'd still rather have an old Mazda 6.

I would too, then take off the hilariously non-functional body and replace it with something else. They even kept the non functional door handles and seams :lol:

Australia has just been blessed. :P
What? How is the Camry considered an omen? I don't even understand as to how it gets alot of hate, other than it being "Toyota Vanilla Bland". There are many things that the Camry is good at, especially quality and reliability.

What? How is the Camry considered an omen? I don't even understand as to how it gets alot of hate, other than it being "Toyota Vanilla Bland". There are many things that the Camry is good at, especially quality and reliability.
Remind me it's price again?

This thread is growing at a pace of one page per year... thats the same excitement level we get from driving this car...

GranPa is exciting to get a sportier looking car, makes him feel younger, but to be honest, he could not care any less. This could be a trash can with the name Toyota Camry on it, he would buy it and trust it...

The younger look is here to attract and convert other blind individuals...

I have to say that It would include me too if i wasnt better informed...

What I want to know is why does Toyota only let their V6 engines only go up to about 270-280 HP? Not only does Toyota do this, but Honda and Nissan as well (I know there's the new Maxima, but the Altima though). I think by today's standards, it may as well be high time for the Japanese economical V6 engines to have a little more, "oomph" as I would call it. They should increase the power output a bit to get up to the 300 HP and over mark.

What I want to know is why does Toyota only let their V6 engines only go up to about 270-280 HP? Not only does Toyota do this, but Honda and Nissan as well (I know there's the new Maxima, but the Altima though). I think by today's standards, it may as well be high time for the Japanese economical V6 engines to have a little more, "oomph" as I would call it. They should increase the power output a bit to get up to the 300 HP and over mark.
The Maxima at 300hp is right on par with it's competitors. Altima is quick even for 260hp, however the next generation of Altima will not offer a V6.

The Mk II Altima was quick enough with the 180hp manual. Deadly with the 3.5V6. At what point do we start seeing AWD come into play with these cars? Is it even needed. Is torque limited up to a certain speed and rpm? Taurus stopped the guessing game and have AWD. I was surprised Maxima didn't get AWD when the SE had the 222hp 6-speed. I'm still surprised the new Maxima is without AWD today.

The Mk II Altima was quick enough with the 180hp manual. Deadly with the 3.5V6. At what point do we start seeing AWD come into play with these cars? Is it even needed. Is torque limited up to a certain speed and rpm? Taurus stopped the guessing game and have AWD. I was surprised Maxima didn't get AWD when the SE had the 222hp 6-speed. I'm still surprised the new Maxima is without AWD today.
I'm sure an AWD Maxima would be pretty pricey.

On topic (slightly):

Which Japanese Automaker had the strongest V6 engine for a mid sized car? I was thinking it would be the 2nd-gen Mazda 6 with the 3.7L V6.

More to come
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/C7CBD526B8545C5BCA257E440003CBE7
TOYOTA'S tricked-up RZ Corolla and Camry pair were an “experiment” to test demand for sportier models, and their warm reception will herald more driver-focused models from the Japanese car-maker.

Launched last year, the RZ twins were styling exercises and mechanically identical to other variants in the range, but Toyota says their larger wheels, flashy colours and RZ trimmings attracted significant interest from buyers.

With the RZ experiment's success, the car-maker has introduced a chassis-tweaked version of the new Camry – dubbed the SX – and says the sportier car will be followed by other Toyotas that target more enthusiastic drivers.

Back