Super Unofficial DiRT 4 Thread (PS4/XB1/PC)

Absolutely surprised to see this today. I'm super excited to see the return of landrush as I was PO'd at the fact that they catered to the "BLARRGGGH, MORE RALLY!!" crowd (who seemingly forgot that the first Dirt game was all about multiple disciplines and not just Rally) so I was furious. Compared to the amount of games that do rally cars and rally, no one does Buggies and Off-Road/Desert racing (PRO 2, PRO 4, etc) and Dirt was the game that introduced me to that discipline so it is great news to see it back.

Not even the older model ones?

Well, at least there's R5 cars. Definitely a Fiesta, and hopefully more.
Sadly, not even the older ones. I'm crossing my fingers that they at least acquired most of, if not all, cars from R1 up to the RGT class.

This part here is my most favorite so far!

Another interesting new feature is the inclusion of a system called “Your Stage”. This level-creation tool allows you to create infinite routes at the press of a button, and you’ll be able to share these tracks online, challenging your friends to set the fastest times. Now a course creation tool is a feature that Gran Turismo fans have seen before, so it will be interesting to see how robust and user friendly the tool is on loose surfaces.

If it's not a event creator, than it's a course maker. One of my most favorite features since Modnation Racers. I've also read that this title (i.e. DiRT 4) will be a mix between Dirt Rally and previous dirts so I really look forward to that! I also like how bright and colourful this one looks as well. Can't wait to get this game, especially in the summer! :)
Since Evolution Studios has been part of Codemasters for a little while now, I wonder how much involvement they had with the graphics?
Me too, but I also wonder how much they were involved in other areas of DiRT 4. If you and others remember, Evo actually made titles such as this in the past before Motorstorm.
boxshot_uk_large.jpg

The hype is real! :D

MXH
Sadly, not even the older ones. I'm crossing my fingers that they at least acquired most of, if not all, cars from R1 up to the RGT class.
Then I am guessing that someone else has acquired an exclusive licence, or Codemasters have included something that would be incompatible with the licences. Possibly a livery editor - from the sounds of things, you acquire sponsors separately to the cars, and can apply their logos at will.

If it's not a event creator, than it's a course maker.
I am cautiously optimistic. I have seen map editors before - like the one in Far Cry 4 - that have been very comprehensive in terms of customisation options, but impenetrable without prior experience. Hopefully the Dirt 4 editor is intuitive and accessible.

I am cautiously optimistic. I have seen map editors before - like the one in Far Cry 4 - that have been very comprehensive in terms of customisation options, but impenetrable without prior experience. Hopefully the Dirt 4 editor is intuitive and accessible.

Perhaps it's just the limited detail they've given but it doesn't sound like a stage editor at all, instead it's a stage generator:

DiRT 4 features a game-changing system called Your Stage; an innovative rally route creation tool that allows you to produce an almost-infinite number of unique stages at the press of a button. You choose your location and set the route parameters, then Your Stage does the hard work to create a unique rally stage that you can race, share with your friends, and then challenge them to beat your time.

So I'd be very optimistic that it will be accessible, since it sounds like it's the system not the player who is tasked with actually creating the stages.

So I'd be very optimistic that it will be accessible, since it sounds like it's the system not the player who is tasked with actually creating the stages.
I'd call that accessible. Having complete control would be nice, but it would be easy to become so dense that it becomes unwieldy.

Ideally, you would start off with a randomly-generated patch of land. You would then be able to set waypoints across it, and the game would connect the dots to build the stage. Then you would get a chance to adjust each individual sector, moving sliders to make it more or less technical, introduce surface changes, increase or decrease gradient, and add or remove hazards. You could also have some control over the environment, adding or removing trees. Then you give the stage a test run, name it, and upload it. Hopefully it would then go into rotation in the main game.

Absolutely surprised to see this today. I'm super excited to see the return of landrush as I was PO'd at the fact that they catered to the "BLARRGGGH, MORE RALLY!!" crowd (who seemingly forgot that the first Dirt game was all about multiple disciplines and not just Rally) so I was furious. Compared to the amount of games that do rally cars and rally, no one does Buggies and Off-Road/Desert racing (PRO 2, PRO 4, etc) and Dirt was the game that introduced me to that discipline so it is great news to see it back.

If we begin the discussion of "What this series is about" I remember you that the first collin mcrae were rallying only.

Dirt 2 kind of games are needed. Excelent and fresh game. But, rallying must not be lost, specialy when we only have two games trying the simulation in this matter.

Then I am guessing that someone else has acquired an exclusive licence, or Codemasters have included something that would be incompatible with the licences. Possibly a livery editor - from the sounds of things, you acquire sponsors separately to the cars, and can apply their logos at will.
I'll get to asking Paul or Darren about it as it seems like an odd omission.

Also, a quick sneak-peek at the Service Area;

MXH
I'll get to asking Paul or Darren about it as it seems like an odd omission.
It does seem odd because the WRC has been pretty forgiving with the licences in the past - Dirt Rally, WRC 6 and Sébastien Loeb Rally Evo all had World Rally Cars with the proper (if not necessarily current) liveries. So unless the entire approach to games has changed, I can't see that being the cause.

If they issue is a quasi-livery editor, with the player sticking sponsor decals on their cars, it wouldn't be too hard to block them from doing it to WRC cars, so I can't see that being the cause either.

I also find the numbering of the title curious. If this is the fourth Dirt game, then it suggests that Dirt Rally was a side project. I have never heard it confirmed, but a lot of people think that it was an experiment to gauge player interest, and that the feedback and lessons learned from it would be used to refine future titles. We know that Codemasters is a small (relatively speaking) studio, but Dirt 4 is being released a year after Dirt Rally. That's a very quick turnaround, especially since so many people expect that Dirt 4 wil be a bigger game than Dirt Rally; if that's true, it suggests to me that both titles were developed concurrently, which in turn makes it odd that they missed the licence for the lead title, but got it for the smaller one.

Then you can imagine the huge disappointment when they went from stuff like Colin McRae to stuff like Dirt 1. Two sides of the same coin.

I'm blown away by this announcement! :eek: I had written off the DiRT series as forever lacking enough content/stages to be worth playing, and now they come up with the stage generator feature I've always wished for? It sounds like the RECS feature from Lotus II: RECS.

recs.png

Between games like this and Project CARS, I'm so happy to finally see some real depth returning to the genre, after a decade of stagnation and regression in the name of shiny-ass 🤬 graphics! If the career mode is like the original GRID and the physics are what they're cracked up to be, this game could be really, really special.

I also find the numbering of the title curious. If this is the fourth Dirt game, then it suggests that Dirt Rally was a side project. I have never heard it confirmed, but a lot of people think that it was an experiment to gauge player interest, and that the feedback and lessons learned from it would be used to refine future titles. We know that Codemasters is a small (relatively speaking) studio, but Dirt 4 is being released a year after Dirt Rally. That's a very quick turnaround, especially since so many people expect that Dirt 4 wil be a bigger game than Dirt Rally; if that's true, it suggests to me that both titles were developed concurrently, which in turn makes it odd that they missed the licence for the lead title, but got it for the smaller one.

Correct me if I am wrong, but DiRT 4 was in production after DiRT 3, correct? Or did that turn into DiRT Rally?

Awesome! Was just thinking this morning to put Assetto Corsa down for a bit and go back to Dirt Rally for awhile and then this news breaks... I have to say I really enjoy Dirt Rally but I really had a lot of fun racing the Stadium Trucks online back on Dirt 3 I think it was.. Some great races. So having a game with both will just be freak'n rad. :dopey:

Cool bits from the videos:

Glad to see the random accidents are back.

upload_2017-1-26_16-49-38.png

There appears to be short versions of stages according to the loading screen. That stage was only 1 minute 30 seconds long! I wonder if the stages are longer than the ones in Dirt Rally.

Some cars:

upload_2017-1-26_16-52-21.png

Cool how there's a drone, like the start of one of the Greece stages.

upload_2017-1-26_16-53-58.png

The stage generator appears to just be simple sliders.

upload_2017-1-26_17-4-35.png

The stage generator appears to just be simple sliders.

upload_2017-1-26_17-4-35-png.623234

Ah brilliant, it really does look like a "generator" rather than an "editor" then. I know others would prefer the tools/customisation to actually make the stages themselves but for me this is exactly what I want - let the game do all the work, and pop out unseen stages to your heart's content, with the press of a single button (almost). Procedurally generated goodness. 👍 If the quality of the stages - and crucially the consistency of pacenotes and AI on them - all stand up to at least some degree, this will probably be one of my all-time favourite racing game features.

In the video, the longest stage I saw generated was 8 miles - what were the longest stages in Dirt Rally? 5-6 miles?

Then you can imagine the huge disappointment when they went from stuff like Colin McRae to stuff like Dirt 1. Two sides of the same coin.

Admittingly I never played Colin Mcrae Rally so I don't know. However, it annoyed me that people wanted a WRC game out a series that frankly wasn't Colin Mcrae Rally AND just basically ignored everything else, blaming it solely on Ken Block (and basically anyone American because we "Destroyed" Dirt). Not everyone was saying that I will say, but their were so many complaints that resorted to straight nationalism over a game.

A few screencaps to add to @ProjectWHaT 's findings.

Disciplines screen (the historic car is a Peugeot 106 I think?):

wnXllIU.png

The separate handling models that have been mooted will have separate leaderboards:

pgxDERV.png

Custom championships are in the Freeplay mode:

7Z9wMRl.png

There is a 6th option on the rally location screen - I think it says "Mystery" with a question mark icon. This could be just a pre-alpha oddity and is perhaps meaningless.

pJqMOX0.png

Last edited:
Oh no, not another must-have racing game! I'm going to have to sort out my finances if I want this game, GT Sport, Project Cars 2 and maybe NFS 2017... Anyway, I did not see this coming at all. Dirt 3 was a blast and Dirt Rally was straight up brutal so I'm expecting big things for this game. All I want now is a V8 Supercars 4...

On the official website, at the bottom with all the legal stuff, it appears like they're still using the original Ego engine and not a new one.

http://www.dirt4game.com/us

Their current-gen engine used in F1 2015 and 2016 is still referred to as the EGO engine, it's just version 4.0 as opposed to version 3.0 which powered their last previous-gen titles.

Based on the currently available footage I'd say DiRT 4 is definitely using a newer engine; the differences in individual graphical elements are subtle but on the whole the game has a strikingly more lively look, as was the case with the leap from F1 2014 to F1 2015 (and further, F1 2016).

Back