Super Unofficial DiRT 4 Thread (PS4/XB1/PC)

Finally got this trophy 6 months after starting this game. Maybe that’s a good thing. Ran directly into a cement barricade in the middle of nowhere at Dirtfish. That puts me at 75% trophy completion.

C89036D1-AAC1-437B-8FC2-436064D5E89D.png

Just spent some time on the couch with DiRT 4, and am I the only one who found driving R5 cars on gravel in forests too challenging?

I was driving a Mitsubishi Space Star for another team in Powys, Wales, and it was a painful experience. Its powerful acceleration makes trying to drive it quickly with trees immediately to either side similar to navigating a tank in twisty and narrow streets in Italian towns; you’re bound to crash into something. Also, the pace notes don’t tell you every slight twist and turn. This, when coupled with the inadequate light (due to trees blocking sunlight), makes it very easy to go off track. The tendency of the Mitsubishi to spin when the brakes are applied heavily, and the fact that the route was descending aren’t helping either. Is this something common with the Space Star?

It was only after tens of restarts that I began to discover that it’s better to not listen to the pace notes and just focus on the road ahead with your eyes when you’re driving in the forest. But even then I was still several seconds off the leader’s time. I eventually gave up going for the fastest time, accepting the fact that I simply wouldn’t be able to finish the event in 1st place. :indiff:

On a brighter note, I was gifted a Subaru Impreza 2001 today, and I spotted a Lancia Fulvia in the factory livery in the classifieds today, which I immediately bought. And now my garage slots are full. So I’d like to ask: are you allowed to purchase a garage expansion that is two or more levels higher than your current level? (For instance, from level U to level C, if you don’t know what I mean.) I’m only one level away from unlocking the 15-slot expansion, and I don’t want to waste 100,000 Cr. on a purchase that’ll ultimately prove to be pointless.

Just spent some time on the couch with DiRT 4, and am I the only one who found driving R5 cars on gravel in forests too challenging?

I was driving a Mitsubishi Space Star for another team in Powys, Wales, and it was a painful experience. Its powerful acceleration makes trying to drive it quickly with trees immediately to either side similar to navigating a tank in twisty and narrow streets in Italian towns; you’re bound to crash into something. Also, the pace notes don’t tell you every slight twist and turn. This, when coupled with the inadequate light (due to trees blocking sunlight), makes it very easy to go off track. The tendency of the Mitsubishi to spin when the brakes are applied heavily, and the fact that the route was descending aren’t helping either. Is this something common with the Space Star?

It was only after tens of restarts that I began to discover that it’s better to not listen to the pace notes and just focus on the road ahead with your eyes when you’re driving in the forest. But even then I was still several seconds off the leader’s time. I eventually gave up going for the fastest time, accepting the fact that I simply wouldn’t be able to finish the event in 1st place. :indiff:

On a brighter note, I was gifted a Subaru Impreza 2001 today, and I spotted a Lancia Fulvia in the factory livery in the classifieds today, which I immediately bought. And now my garage slots are full. So I’d like to ask: are you allowed to purchase a garage expansion that is two or more levels higher than your current level? (For instance, from level U to level C, if you don’t know what I mean.) I’m only one level away from unlocking the 15-slot expansion, and I don’t want to waste 100,000 Cr. on a purchase that’ll ultimately prove to be pointless.

Hi, you can definitely leap frog over upgrades as long as your experience level is high enough and then upgrades will unlock.

Haven’t driven the Space Star yet, but the game definitely dares you to drive as fast as you can. As far as the lighting, can’t help. You’ll have to get used to different conditions. :)

The pace notes aren’t the most detailed I agree, but after running stages over and over you’ll get used to what kind of corners to expect.

Regarding the AI difficulty, there are options to decrease it. You could try ‘Competent’ AI if needed. 👍

Last edited:
Just got this on PSN sale, was quite cheap, can you change the FOV settings. I'm on PS4, are all the stages real, or made up.

Whats the best way to make money, so you can buy the cars for career? Enjoying the bits I've, done, the spotter in landrush, is a bit annoying though.

Yesterday I decided to give it a try, after 2-3 weeks of not playing it. Launched the game, waiting for the online (racenet, or how they call it) games to show up, nothing happened. Tried 3 times, no luck. It is not that life-saver title that I will wait for it 10 minutes... (That happened earlier with "Pro tour", can not wait for opponents enough, though they keep on spamming me that I relegated, because of not playing.) So that was it, Dirt4. I liked it, but there are better solutions to spend my (little) game-time for driving. And will not forget how developers treated this questions next time I'll be about to buy a title.
Also worth remember that when I asked about the unreal deduction of staff-contracts in some parts of the game, they answered: it is OK, and by design. Later _somehow_ it was altered. (Fixed.) That means the official support answer was a bullsh.t.
Time to learn it is a 2 side business, even if one side is full of children: the way developers treat their gamers, the gamers will treat that developer in the future. It was ****** up, despite the promising start.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to believe D4 could be really great because Codemasters finally offered a solution to the worst sin of their previous rally games -- ridiculously shallow stage design made from recycling something like a Y-shaped fork on a single map, forward and reverse one way and the other. The damned Complete Edition of Dirt 3 with all its DLC still felt like only half of a proper rally game.

When it came out, D4's handling even exceeded my expectations, being somewhat more sensible than CM's signature wild and wacky handling. And I thought the content was a fine foundation to build upon with post-release support...you know, more locations? Maybe some more Your Stage tiles? Adjustments to the physics with some car/locale combos, which are so out of whack compared to other car/locale combos that they couldn't possibly be right?

I really appreciate Your Stage, but I feel like the next game, even if it expands upon Your Stage, will probably just be yet another CM game with okay-but-bothersome physics that fails to realize its potential.

I wanted to believe D4 could be really great because Codemasters finally offered a solution to the worst sin of their previous rally games -- ridiculously shallow stage design made from recycling something like a Y-shaped fork on a single map, forward and reverse one way and the other. The damned Complete Edition of Dirt 3 with all its DLC still felt like only half of a proper rally game.

When it came out, D4's handling even exceeded my expectations, being somewhat more sensible than CM's signature wild and wacky handling. And I thought the content was a fine foundation to build upon with post-release support...you know, more locations? Maybe some more Your Stage tiles? Adjustments to the physics with some car/locale combos, which are so out of whack compared to other car/locale combos that they couldn't possibly be right?

I really appreciate Your Stage, but I feel like the next game, even if it expands upon Your Stage, will probably just be yet another CM game with okay-but-bothersome physics that fails to realize its potential.
The really annoying part is that Dirt Rally started down that right path, only for them to step back from it with D4.

The really annoying part is that Dirt Rally started down that right path, only for them to step back from it with D4.
I'm aware the stages in Dirt Rally are real ones, but how much variety is there really? I wrote off DR because I never could believe CM actually made a genuine simulator (case in point: Dirt 4), and because I read the stages were a similar deal as Dirt 3, even if they're real.

Is that correct? Because no matter how great the driving experience is, it's not worth it to me without distinct stages as in SLRE. And as you well know, the driving experience in SLRE is great enough. :)

I'm aware the stages in Dirt Rally are real ones, but how much variety is there really? I wrote off DR because I never could believe CM actually made a genuine simulator (case in point: Dirt 4), and because I read the stages were a similar deal as Dirt 3, even if they're real.

Is that correct? Because no matter how great the driving experience is, it's not worth it to me without distinct stages as in SLRE. And as you well know, the driving experience in SLRE is great enough. :)
Its a mixed bag in Dirt Rally, some of the stages are pure fiction, some are heavily based on real stages. However the accuracy is not always good on those either, as this video shows....

Which looks at Sweet Lamb in SLRE and DR in comparison to reality shows, as the DR one goes off and does its one thing at one point, while SLRE is very, very accurate.

This is £10 on PSN. Is it worth buying? I'm not particularly interested in the rally portion as I already know that will become samey samey to me really quickly. I'm interested in the other stuff and are they used online?

I had dirt rally in the past, sold it and got dirt 4 and i quite enjoyed the driving experience! I'm one of the few who preferred it over dirt rally.
Dirt 4's problem and bliss is the generated tracks! They are not repetitive as the user cannot memorize tracks like in dirt rally, yet they still feel familiar and you would encounter the same exact corner many times in a single stage!
I then resold dirt 4 coz i got annoyed waiting too much for leagues to come, and regot dirt rally with VR to enjoy it on my psvr.
If it wasn't for the VR, i think I would still prefer dirt 4.

I had dirt rally in the past, sold it and got dirt 4 and i quite enjoyed the driving experience! I'm one of the few who preferred it over dirt rally.
Dirt 4's problem and bliss is the generated tracks! They are not repetitive as the user cannot memorize tracks like in dirt rally, yet they still feel familiar and you would encounter the same exact corner many times in a single stage!
I then resold dirt 4 coz i got annoyed waiting too much for leagues to come, and regot dirt rally with VR to enjoy it on my psvr.
If it wasn't for the VR, i think I would still prefer dirt 4.
I love Dirt Rally, can't see me liking D4 rally more. I played procedural levels before and remember feeling like playing a section of track on loop.
I have Dirt 4 enjoying so far not as hardcore as Project Cars 2, haven't played any others.:D
I'm really not interested in the Rally portion of D4. Would you guys say its worth buying for the non rally stuff?

I'm really not interested in the Rally portion of D4. Would you guys say its worth buying for the non rally stuff?
I enjoyed the Landrush trucks/buggies but there isn't much to them, and there's one rallycross track I wish was in PCARS2 but otherwise I think PCARS2 is a superior rallycross game. If you like gymkhana, the JoyRide mode will keep you busy for a while.

I enjoyed the Landrush trucks/buggies but there isn't much to them, and there's one rallycross track I wish was in PCARS2 but otherwise I think PCARS2 is a superior rallycross game. If you like gymkhana, the JoyRide mode will keep you busy for a while.
I think I will give this a miss. Pcars2 is a no go for me on my standard PS4

I have a standard PS4 (Slim) and to me PCARS2 looks and plays great. But IDGAF about jaggies or other minor blemishes and I opt for smaller grids (20-24 max) to keep things smooth. Rallycross is just six cars so there's no problem there.

The reasons I think it's the superior rallycross game is because the physics are on another level compared to Dirt 4 (which frankly doesn't count as a sim IMO); it has its own exclusive RX tracks like the very cool historic Brands Hatch circuit; you're free to enjoy the RX tracks with other cars not in an RX class, like the Toyota GT86 or Audi V8 DTM or Lancer Evo VI TME; plus there's snow/ice, and the ability to turn other short tracks into a sort of RX track in the wet or snow.

Given all of that, I think PCARS2 is unparalleled in terms of rallycross racing. 👍

Back