Super Unofficial DiRT 4 Thread (PS4/XB1/PC)

I still play this all the time. I'm done with the main career except for the Rally and Rallycross Triple Crown. Still having a blast.

Has anyone completed the game yet, do liveries become more available ever? I see that each car has a few liveries to chose from (in Freeplay) but they never come up for sale in the Classifieds. It honestly feels like a glitch when only 1 or 2 liveries ever show up at any given time.

Aside from the liveries you get as championship rewards, some cars just happen to have very few of them. And the liveried cars in the classifieds appear to be literally luck of the draw, they're obviously designed to be rare.

Sorry for the constant posting, but it seems nobody is playing this game anymore?

I would have been playing but a couple of weeks ago a power cut corrupted my PS4's hard drive, losing my game data/installs. And, stupidly, I'd forgotten that I'd wiped all my saves from my backup memory card, because I'd been using it for something else recently :ouch: Although my Dirt 4 save was one of the few ones I had retained, thankfully.

So I've been preoccupied downloading all my games/updates again, but on the bright side I'm doing it on a PS4 Pro now - I discovered that if I traded in the console (it worked fine after formatting), some PS4 games I won't want to start over again, plus a bunch of PS3/3DS games I don't use anymore.........turns out CeX could upgrade me to a used Pro for free, and give me £140 credit left over! :eek: So I'm actually pretty bloody thankful for that power cut :lol:

Aside from the liveries you get as championship rewards, some cars just happen to have very few of them. And the liveried cars in the classifieds appear to be literally luck of the draw, they're obviously designed to be rare.
Right, but even many weeks after the game launched I've not seen many liveries. Not to mention the large amounts of in-game currency used to pay for the '50% chance to unlock rare liveries' grade A perk changed absolutely nothing.

Just a little frustrating considering they obviously meant for the player to unlock many different liveries with a garage that can hold 120 cars.

Just finished the monthly with the Stratos. 45th on the world atm.

Really good event. Wish the other rwd cars had the same physics as it. One of the few fast rwd cars that are fun to drive on this game.

Weird cause it was one of the hardests on Dirt Rally.

Really good event. Wish the other rwd cars had the same physics as it. One of the few fast rwd cars that are fun to drive on this game.

I like the Stratos too, though I haven't driven it yet in D4. The mid engine layout makes it more fun compared to the other rear wheel drive cars. The Alpine is another favorite of mine once I get some time behind the wheel.

Odd, the August monthly appears to be identical to the one we ran in July.

Only a few trophies left for platinum and then this game will probably gather dust very quickly ... :guilty:

This game is begging for new content, or even an expansion. Ideally at some point this month before everyone has their attention towards pCARS 2, Forza 7 and/or GT Sport.

This game is begging for new content, or even an expansion. Ideally at some point this month before everyone has their attention towards pCARS 2, Forza 7 and/or GT Sport.
Has there been any news at all about new content? While I definitely like the daily/ weekly/ monthly events, I'd love to see more since last night I finally completed career.

Has there been any news at all about new content? While I definitely like the daily/ weekly/ monthly events, I'd love to see more since last night I finally completed career.

Not really, but if the final paragraph on the latest DiRT road book is anything to go by, some support is still on the cards.

And that’s all for this week’s short and sweet entry! We’ll see you back here soon with some meatier chat about Clubs ‘n’ stuff. We know you’re all craving some more info on what’s going on, but our hands are a little tied with what we can talk about right now – so a huge thanks for your patience! We’re still here, we’re still working hard, and yes – we’re still listening.

Last edited:
Codies has prepared a large silver platter for WRC 7. WRC 6 isn't half bad and was a huge leap from 5. If more improvements are made then 7 could be the racing surprise of the year. Epic stages, 2017 and 2016 cars, Porsche, rebuilt physics developed with steering wheel and the fun online modes show a strong package thus far. DiRT 4 is a buggy mess and should be in alpha. On top of that, thin content, iffy graphics and dubious sim physics.

So it's not just PC2, GTS and Forza Codies need to worry about. They dropped the ball big time with D4. Many have already abandoned it and what's even more incredible is seeing long-time Codies fans considering jumping ship to the WRC series.

Codies promised us a kind of DiRT Rally 2 to be packaged into D4 and failed miserably. Just when they had gotten the simmers on board with the excellent DiRT Rally. Sad to see a studio screw things up like this.

Hoping someone can give me some information on how the sequential shifter works on the '01 Subaru modeled in D4. It appears that there's only one paddle shifter mounted on the steering column. Does it operate bi-directionally for both upshifts and downshifts? I've been studying this video and I can't tell if the car auto downshifts or if it's being operated manually.

IMG_0045.JPG

"Thanks for letting me know in advance... Jerk."
I have my pace notes set pretty early, but still there are moments where the notes are coming in way to late. Also there are a lot of notes who make no sense at all (a L4 that is more like a hairpin left, followed by a R2 who is more like a R4) It's really hard to trust the notes at some times, which makes the game very frustrating at times.

Dusted off my dfgt and playing DiRT2, this game is great, the rallycross tracks are fantastic, rally tracks are also great, the soundtrack is far more memorable than dirt4, some of the stupid cars like the eclipse are actually really good, I kinda wish codies took a bit more arcade feel, the sim in dirt4 is good but I just have far more fun on DiRT2. It feels like a more complete game.

Last edited:
Dusted off my dfgt and playing DiRT2, this game is great, the rallycross tracks are fantastic, rally tracks are also great, the soundtrack is far more memorable than dirt4, some of the stupid cars like the eclipse are actually really good, I kinda wish codies took a bit more arcade feel, the sim in dirt4 is good but I just have far more fun on DiRT2. It feels like a more complete game.
How do you feel about the "Gamer" handling in Dirt 4? I haven't played Dirt 2 in a long, long time, but the Gamer setting is pretty arcady in Dirt 4 too. In fact, after playing Dirt 4 so long with Gamer setting, I've not switched back to "Sim" handling. It's just far more fun to play with arcady handling.

How do you feel about the "Gamer" handling in Dirt 4? I haven't played Dirt 2 in a long, long time, but the Gamer setting is pretty arcady in Dirt 4 too. In fact, after playing Dirt 4 so long with Gamer setting, I've not switched back to "Sim" handling. It's just far more fun to play with arcady handling.
I'm not really talking about the handling, but no I haven't tried the arcade style yet.

Codies has prepared a large silver platter for WRC 7. WRC 6 isn't half bad and was a huge leap from 5. If more improvements are made then 7 could be the racing surprise of the year. Epic stages, 2017 and 2016 cars, Porsche, rebuilt physics developed with steering wheel and the fun online modes show a strong package thus far. DiRT 4 is a buggy mess and should be in alpha. On top of that, thin content, iffy graphics and dubious sim physics.

So it's not just PC2, GTS and Forza Codies need to worry about. They dropped the ball big time with D4. Many have already abandoned it and what's even more incredible is seeing long-time Codies fans considering jumping ship to the WRC series.

Codies promised us a kind of DiRT Rally 2 to be packaged into D4 and failed miserably. Just when they had gotten the simmers on board with the excellent DiRT Rally. Sad to see a studio screw things up like this.

Looking forward to wrc7 myself, looks nice. Whilst dirt always offered the myriad of awesome vehicles - all those real world stages of wrc is something I'm going to welcome
I've grown rather stale of D4 so far. Ton of titles coming over the next few months but I always like a driver sim to kick back with
D4 needs dlc/patch
Now

I've just tried it on my PC (lowest settings possible and no more than 25 fps :cool:) a couple of hours with 4wd cars (supercars, group B) on rallycross tracks and on that Dirt training scenary. Boy... I didn't expect that.

My very first impressions is that this is SLRE2 but better. Tarmac is HUGELY better than Dirt Rally. FFB is better. The cars have more feeling of wheight.

I played with Thrustsmaster official settings for Dirt Rally (with less strength). Dirt4 predefined ones are completely rubish, dont understand how Codemasters risk the appreciation of the game with those garbage settings (for the T150 owners at least).

Of course after only two hours I cant even have a slightly exact idea of how the game feels and I could change my opinion completely after playing it for a couple of months, but this is very very promising.

Maybe the game feels different on rally (discipline I wont be able to try on my PC because it will die)? Or in PC compared to consoles?

I've just tried it on my PC (lowest settings possible and no more than 25 fps :cool:) a couple of hours with 4wd cars (supercars, group B) on rallycross tracks and on that Dirt training scenary. Boy... I didn't expect that.

My very first impressions is that this is SLRE2 but better. Tarmac is HUGELY better than Dirt Rally. FFB is better. The cars have more feeling of wheight.

I played with Thrustsmaster official settings for Dirt Rally (with less strength). Dirt4 predefined ones are completely rubish, dont understand how Codemasters risk the appreciation of the game with those garbage settings (for the T150 owners at least).

Of course after only two hours I cant even have a slightly exact idea of how the game feels and I could change my opinion completely after playing it for a couple of months, but this is very very promising.

Maybe the game feels different on rally (discipline I wont be able to try on my PC because it will die)? Or in PC compared to consoles?

It becomes fairly obvious that the core physics is a huge step up from DR when taking the cars to the flat DirtFish area. The RX is brilliant as well.
However, the actual rally stages makes things behave a bit strange. I'm not sure if it is how ruts, edges and cambers affects the cars, but the cars have a tendency to straighten out a bit too quickly and is much more prone to understeer.

The RWD cars is a letdown for me as I loved them in DR. The grip isn't progressive enough to let you steer the car with the throttle, at least not on the stages. In the rally school area everything feels much more intuitive and natural imo.

There are so much potential here that with some tweaks could be truly great!

Been playing a bit of dirt4 lately as a break from wrc6. Really enjoying it at the moment, its quite fun to just jam a few stages here and there.
Really loving the generated stages as it means I have to concentrate on the notes to allow me to go fast. Sure there is room for improvement with some patches being recognisable and repeated, and some pace notes coming to late for things like hairpins, but I still find it much better than a limited number of set stages you end up remember large chunks of. I'm not using a wheel and just playing gamer physics, so im not chasing full simulation, but for a relaxed fun game that is still a challenge it does the job

Just finished the game and got the platinum trophy. :D
After having played it for 2 months, I think it was worth buying it. But it's not as good as DiRT 3 was, in my opinion. I wish they brought back the Raid and Trailblazer cars from that game.

Can’t believe it’s been 6 weeks since the last post on this thread. I’ve been playing this game nearly exclusively since June. I’m sure it will take a quick back seat to GTSport, F1 2017 and more WRC7 soon, but I must be the only one that really likes it.

If it wasn’t for long wait times and the game crashing/kicking me out when playing ‘Pro Tour’, I’ve got a decent chance for platinum (currently at 68%). I’m working on finishing the Triple Crown and getting the silver Historical & regular Rally trophies. Then it’s the final Joyride accomplishments and a couple Jam Sessions and I’m done!

Even after finishing the game, I still look forward to driving all the cars and creating events in the Freestyle mode. Maybe will even start over from scratch and try a new career on the next higher AI difficulty (Tough or Demanding, I believe). Probably should have started out initially on a higher difficulty for more challenge but oh well. It really didn’t seem too hard to develop my team, cars, and facilities to all ‘A’ with some play time on ‘Challenging’ AI.

All in all, a really good game. I’m having deja vu like it’s 2005 when CMR3, F1 2002 and GT4 were all competing for my attention on the PS2.

Back