Super Unofficial DiRT 4 Thread (PS4/XB1/PC)

Given all of that, I think PCARS2 is unparalleled in terms of rallycross racing. đź‘Ť
I personally think that DiRT 4 is the best representation of "real" rallycross that we have ever had in a game, but I guess it's personal preference (and I'm probably biased because PC2 leaned more towards US rallycross, which is vastly inferior to me).

For me the rallycross handling is the best bit of DiRT 4 and, although I often do a few random rally stages, it's the rallycross that is still the part of D4 I play the most. It's a real shame that they haven't followed up with DLC tracks and cars, as it would have been great to see a closer representation of the whole World Championship in game.

I have no proof, but I have a strong suspicion that something has happened behind the scenes at Codemasters: what has happened since the release of D4 doesn't make any sense.

I personally think that DiRT 4 is the best representation of "real" rallycross that we have ever had in a game, but I guess it's personal preference (and I'm probably biased because PC2 leaned more towards US rallycross, which is vastly inferior to me).
It really is and nothing comes even close in represantation of rallycross - in my opinion as well. It's such a shame that the game never got the support it truly deserves in that regard. Rallycross was damn good. Probably the only redeeming quality of the game.

Overall, DiRT4 is my least favourite and least played game in the DiRT franchise. Your Stage absolutely killed anything rallying for me and have barely touched it. I was genuienly excited for it and its potential, but frankly, what felt like subpar physics after DR and the stage generator's repetitiveness, they might as well never have bothered with it. The trucks and buggies were yawn-inducing too.

I'll probably have to keep playing DiRT Rally till the end of times. I sincerely doubt they will ever top it but they are more than welcome to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
I completely prefer the stage generator in D4 over the pre-fab stages in DR.

Don’t get me wrong, DR stages are great, and yes you’ll likely see the same turns in D4, but nothing beats making custom events with different weather, different times of day, and varying lengths and difficulty in D4.

And I agree, more RX would have been welcome.

Last edited:
I have to agree with the sentiment DiRT 4 Rallycross > pCARS 2 Rallycross. Sliding feels more natural in the first game and that's a big factor as to why it feels more fun and better overall to me.

Even though post-launch support was lacking, DiRT 4 was a really good game. DiRT Rally wasn't my type of thing so I sold it pretty early on, but DiRT 4 has a more fun vibe to it and more off road variety like the earlier instalments in the DiRT series. Can we also just appreciate how good the soundtrack in that game is? It is just a shame Rallycross was never expanded on, especially as Codies are holding the FIA WRX licence right now.

Speaking of DiRT 2/3, funny enough I think V-Rally 4 is aiming to be the spiritual successor of those games. đź’ˇ

The classic car handling put me off of the historic rallying at least; it was never enjoyable.

And if World RX is sticking with Codemasters, I'm wondering if the next game will incorporate Americas Rallycross (considering it is managed by IMG/World RX).

I have to agree with the sentiment DiRT 4 Rallycross > pCARS 2 Rallycross. Sliding feels more natural in the first game and that's a big factor as to why it feels more fun and better overall to me.
To me nothing feels natural at all in D4 -- none of the vehicle or surface types -- which is a big factor in why I prefer PCARS2 for RX. Cars in D4 still seem to pivot-steer and float around, like D3 and all its predecessors and cousins (CMR, TRD, Grid).

The stage generator is a cool feature, but after a few stages you'll start to notice the repeated "tiles" that they use and it becomes monotonous. In DR, each stage has a little landmark, like a huge jump or the tree hairpin or the chicane. But in 4, everything just feels really generic. For a rally game, I think DR is far more superior.

Don’t get me wrong, DR stages are great, and yes you’ll likely see the same turns in D4, but nothing beats making custom events with different weather, different times of day, and varying lengths and difficulty in D4.
Yeah, I agree. I occasionally go back to DiRT Rally to revisit my favourite stages, but I am putting far more time into DiRT 4.

I do agree with ProjectWHat though; there are certain familiar landmarks that crop up within the D4 stages. This is the first iteration of Your Stage though and I think it has huge potential. With more "tiles" added, I am sure we would see more variety.

I suspect many of you will disagree with me but, for the most part, I think the physics in D4 are better overall. DR is great, but some of the ridiculous reactions you get when the car is off the ground can be quite jarring. That said, my preference in both games is racing the 4WD and FWD cars and, for the most part, I think they all handle well in D4: the RWD cars do seem to have taken a step backwards (handling wise) in D4 so, for those people who prefer them, I can see why D4 isn't as enjoyable.

I suspect many of you will disagree with me but, for the most part, I think the physics in D4 are better overall.
I'm one of the few who agree on this. I feel the weight of the car in D4 and the breaking can be fatal if done wrong. The FFB is also much more natural in my opinion.

I view Dirt 4 as a return to form in this series. While it added little new to the series, I found it more accessible than its prequels in terms of features. Although it's not a big seller as GT Sport, I found D4 easier to live with.

Last edited:
Lately I’ve been doing Freeplay Rally championships on Brutal difficulty for a challenge. Basically I’ve been creating events starting with the oldest cars in the game and working my way through them chronologically and I’m up to the Delta.

Well, I was doing ok competitively with the historic classes just eking out championship wins (or second places) but once I hit the Delta on Brutal AI my results have been let’s just say, brutal. 9th place.

It’s probably me, but the Delta is very difficult to get grips on with it’s tendency to snap oversteer. Anyway, just some thoughts.

Hi everyone, I got DiRT 4 and it's a great fun with my little Drift O.Z. wheel. Everything is nice in the game, but it doesn't really feel like a DiRT game, and it's not as fun as DiRT 3 was, but it's still good. But it's much more in-depth what I appreciate. đź‘Ť

Anyway, can an expert here help me optimizing the game? Currently I'm running it on medium, and it's between 25-60Fps. I would like to know which graphical settings I can set on medium or higher because I want my game to look decent too. Can I tweak some setting in the Nvidia Control Panel/Inspector? Of course with my low-end hardware it's a wonder that it can even start! :lol:
Here are my PC specifications:
4Gb RAM
Intel Core I3 550 (I said it multiple times, but it's ten years old, still does its job pretty well! :eek:)
ASUS Nvidia Geforce GTX 1050Ti OC (the shiniest gem in the PC :D)
Windows 10 64-bit

Also, I'm planning to upgrade some of the parts of my PC. Which one should I upgrade first? The CPU or the RAM? Which one is needed for the game to run better?
Thank you very much for you help! :)

There's not much you can do in terms of settings. Your CPU is the bottleneck as it only has to 2 cores. Right now the minimum for gaming is 4 cores. Your GPU should be enough for this game.

When you upgrade, I recommend upgrading your CPU (which means you'll also need a new motherboard) and the RAM. 8 GB is the minimum.

Interesting thing with content is Stephanie Prevot recently went to translate Phil Mills pace notes for France? Or Belgium? Can't remember which but anyway, he said he recorded notes for 12 locations. That's double the locations at DR2 launch. Interesting.

Interesting thing with content is Stephanie Prevot recently went to translate Phil Mills pace notes for France? Or Belgium? Can't remember which but anyway, he said he recorded notes for 12 locations. That's double the locations at DR2 launch. Interesting.

I think they have the first 2 seasons prepared and layed out as dlc. Season 3 and 4 could come in a seconds season pass if the game does well or maybe some stuff will be added freely (don't think that will be the case though).

Excited as hell since I've seen that DS21 in action :)

Assuming each DLC bundle contains 2 rally stages and 1 rallycross track, that pretty much guarantees a third season of DLC content, which isn't covered by the season pass.

Games are getting expensive these days... :ill:

Assuming each DLC bundle contains 2 rally stages and 1 rallycross track, that pretty much guarantees a third season of DLC content, which isn't covered by the season pass.

Games are getting expensive these days... :ill:

Well I agree and disagree. If I remember well I paid €50 to €60 for my PS One games back in the ninetees. Today I still pay the same price but the costs of making games have risen enormously.

I am also in between yes/no for DLC. If it extends the game it can add value, if it is there for a simple cashgrab, I dispise it. I rather pay for good quality dlc then for another €60 pricetag new game a year after. I think with longlivity and binding players to that version works better than having a new version of a game every year.

The postlaunch support for GT Sport has been free but they are backed by Sony in terms of support. A company like Codemasters, Milestone etc need to do it on their own.

I hadn't at all the intention to buy DR2 after the D4 debacle but I gave in and bought the deluxe-version (which I found rather cheap). The carlist has convinced me and the tracks so far as well. I tend to stick with this rally game for a while and I am sure I get value for money for me personally as a first day buyer. Surely price will come down in a couple of months but that is normal. I rarely buy games new these days besides a few exceptions đź‘Ť Dakar'18 was my last one, the rest all bought on massive sales.

As for the DLC in DR2.0, it is a gamble but that's a risk I took.....:irked:

Well I agree and disagree. If I remember well I paid €50 to €60 for my PS One games back in the ninetees. Today I still pay the same price but the costs of making games have risen enormously.

I am also in between yes/no for DLC. If it extends the game it can add value, if it is there for a simple cashgrab, I dispise it. I rather pay for good quality dlc then for another €60 pricetag new game a year after. I think with longlivity and binding players to that version works better than having a new version of a game every year.

The postlaunch support for GT Sport has been free but they are backed by Sony in terms of support. A company like Codemasters, Milestone etc need to do it on their own.

I hadn't at all the intention to buy DR2 after the D4 debacle but I gave in and bought the deluxe-version (which I found rather cheap). The carlist has convinced me and the tracks so far as well. I tend to stick with this rally game for a while and I am sure I get value for money for me personally as a first day buyer. Surely price will come down in a couple of months but that is normal. I rarely buy games new these days besides a few exceptions đź‘Ť Dakar'18 was my last one, the rest all bought on massive sales.

As for the DLC in DR2.0, it is a gamble but that's a risk I took.....:irked:

I do agree with both sides of your argument; every other medium of entertainment has increased in price since the days of the original PlayStation while the cost of buying (base) games has largely stayed the same, despite inflation and cost of development increasing.

The part that gets me is having to pay for content after the upfront cost. There are a number of cases where I have been happy to buy versions of a game which feature all the bells and whistles for a premium price, but there is also a trend where developers still feel the need to push users into spending an unlimited unspecified amount of cash (Ubisoft, I'm looking at you).

It hasn't reached the stage where it is bothering me too much yet, but it does open the floodgates for developers to continuously release paid content outside a season pass over a long period of time. Before you know it, players could end up paying hundreds to access various pieces of content in a AAA game.

TL;DR: I prefer paying a fixed price for a game.

Yeah it all comes down to how individual developers handle it. Ubisoft being notorious for it in a bad way whilst turn 10 you do tend to get good value for it.

It's always been around in one form or another. Could argue gran turismo concept was an expensive add on for GT3.

I fired up Dirt4 this evening after not playing it for over 10months. I am actually surprised how fun it is again since I am no fan at all of the shallow YourStage. However when sticking to the tracks of the career it is pretty well executed.

There is a question I have though since I don't remember exactly but were the card always this planted? I find it very hard to get to slide the rear :irked:

I fired up Dirt4 this evening after not playing it for over 10months. I am actually surprised how fun it is again since I am no fan at all of the shallow YourStage. However when sticking to the tracks of the career it is pretty well executed.

There is a question I have though since I don't remember exactly but were the card always this planted? I find it very hard to get to slide the rear :irked:

Gamer or sim mode?

Not sure then. I rarely delve into sim mode anymore. But the cars are very planted in gamer mode and some of that extra grip did transfer to sim mode.

I tried the 131 and it gripped and gripped. Also on tarmac, it is pretty decent since the car actually feels planted and has some nice weight to it.

I hope some more D4 guys/girls can ventilate on the grippy backside :lol:

Back