Gran Turismo 7: Two Years On

• Thread starter Famine
  • 97 comments
Well, I have a couple hundred hours in the game so I've gotten my money's worth. At this point though the only thing that could bring me back for more than a few days would be some sort of large scale career mode update that overhauls it. Speaking of which, for the next game I seriously beg that they take a step back, reflect and study what made the single player in the first four games amazing and memorable. It's pretty clear that after GT4 there was a huge drop off in attention to detail for the single player experience (with some things that really stick out such as the poor AI combined with the catch the rabbit format for races).

It kind of bums me out because I still go back to the old games pretty frequently and while they obviously aren't perfect, it doesn't take much playing time to remember why they're always looked back on fondly. I just feel like it's really not that complicated to understand what Gran Turismo games need, especially when people are saying it loudly on every forum that has to do with the game.

GT7's been cool and has expanded in really cool ways like engine swaps, and I've enjoyed my time with it, but I wouldn't be lying if I felt like there was way more room for it to certainly feel like a future classic

Last edited:
I need to jump back on the rig. All the talk of a pro made me imagine how good this game could look, and I stopped playing.

Wow, how time has gone by fast, it seems like the game just came out March 4, 2022. I guess this last update will cover this moment for gt7. Where are the weekly challenges? I guess PD stopped doing them, why idk.

"Yamauchi’s previous statements about the team being capable of producing up to 60 cars a year". So almost half of that number makes it look intentional to add so few new cars. If those numbers (they have added each year) were the plan, don't tell everyone you can produce 60 models per year, because that just emphasizes the disappointment if add a lot less thatn that number of cars! :eek: :rolleyes: :banghead:

"GT7’s second year has been pretty solid. What can its third year bring? We’ll have to wait and see…" That is extremely optimistic imho. Two years in, and already no content some months! :confused:

Additional content generally tails off over time, and I can't see things improving, though always hope I am wrong. If they can't even do something special for the two year anniversary, I can't see anything to give some life back into this game (for me). They have had well enough time to make changes to improve things, but very little changes, very little is added, cars or tracks.

For those who feel everything is hunky dory with GT7, I envy you. :(

"GT7’s second year has been pretty solid. What can its third year bring? We’ll have to wait and see…" That is extremely optimistic imho. Two years in, and already no content some months! :confused:
What's the first half of that sentence again?
So almost half of that number makes it look intentional to add so few new cars. If those numbers (they have added each year) were the plan, don't tell everyone you can produce 60 models per year, because that just emphasizes the disappointment if add a lot less thatn that number of cars! :eek: :rolleyes: :banghead:
Only if you wish for it to do so.

The modelling team is capable of producing 60 new cars a year (according to Yamauchi, last January). That doesn't mean that there are 60 new cars for them to model each year; the modelling team is just the people that make the models. If there's fewer cars entering the pipeline (due to, ooooh, for example, licensing) then fewer cars will come out.

It's also good that they're not working flat-out to maximum capacity, because it means fewer errors creep in from always being on the limit - and it means the staff isn't perpetually in crunch (and I think we all agree that software dev crunch is A Bad Thing).

Sure, they're doing on purpose is an explanation you can think of, but it's not the only explanation.

I am flabbergasted at how people ignore the in-game notices, right there on the startup menu.
Well then from now on I'll just have to not be lazy and read every update that PD does, it's my fault! But I'm not perfect.
It's also in the last Weekly Challenges article, at least four times in the Weekly Challenges thread (on the last page alone), and I put it into this article too.

Last edited:
The mechanics, graphics and audio of the game is as solid as ever. The addition of VR2 is amazing.

I personally found the Spec 2 update to be very lacklustre. The implementation of Sophy into the game is something that should have been amazing, but it’s hidden away in custom races, that I think most will try for fun a few times then quickly forget about. They should atleast adddd another mission menu, full of races/ challenges with Sophy in them 🤷‍♂️

I really enjoyed the progress tracker being added to the game. It made the events feel a bit more connected and it was easier to follow. But it wasn’t a game changer.

The new track, while it’s nice and it looks beautiful, it’s a snow track. Just like the dirt track within the gt series, the physics are just wrong and it takes away from the experience imo. Like it genuinely feels like I’m playing Sega Rally back in the arcade 20 years ago.

Overall though, the ‘game’ aspect of GT7 is still lacking just as much as it was on release imo. Sure, there’s a few more events but none of them are anything special and they just all feel the same.

There is a massive need for a proper career mode. The cafe menu’s feels poorly put together, boring, repetitive and they’re incredibly linear. They just have no life to them and feel like nothing more than a drawn out tutorial to me.

I think the ‘Spec II’ title wasn’t justified for what was released imo and the career mode and economy being comeply overhauled would justify that title but it’s evident that this just not going to happen in GT7. A proper GT League, that utilises the licence progression, full Sophy integration, standing starts and option qualifying would be ideal. With Pd taking inspiration from real World Series and creating some of their own using their unique car collection would be ideal. And where’s the endurance races of old that Kaz mentioned?

There is a desperate need for adding more options into custom lobby’s, especially bringing back options from past games. Ie - grid order based on previous result. People love shuffle races and that could make a welcome return. Plus, there are countless little things that just aren’t quite right that need addressing (the way endurance races finish, penalties, time not synced between players) that all should have been addressed a long time ago.

I am one of those that compelted the game in 3 months(all cars, 100% golds on all events) . Yet, I still find fun but the only enjoyment from it now is the weekly race sessions with mates. Either way, GT7 is still a great game but it could be SO much better if the devs put in a little bit more effort

I am flabbergasted at how people ignore the in-game notices, right there on the startup menu.
I nearly never see that page as I put the console in rest mode. But I am aware of this news.

Everything about the content slowdown smells like a GT8 game is inbound.

But I can't complain, I play and enjoy GT7 every day and when everything clicks nothing really compares..
What content slowdown? 13 cars and one circuit have been added since November. Is that slower than any previous period in the life of GT7?

After reading the review of GT7 at launch and now this article, yes with different authors, to me, it seems like GTPlanet doesn't want to say anything to upset the apple cart with PD and or Sony.

2 years in and for the me the game still has far too many issues.

It's a real shame for GT7 which with a few minor improvements would be one of the best driving games on the PS4-PS5.
Top quality car models.
Wide range of cars (from hardcore racing cars to everyday cars that everyone can see and with some odd inputs)
With an online game that clearly needs improvement but also that there is interest from players (better payments, better custom online races would be a great push)
Ιf PD pays attention in the next months updates to the offline and online game (events, championships, more customizing etc.) we will talk for the GT that we all love!

Last edited:
After reading the review of GT7 at launch and now this article, yes with different authors, to me, it seems like GTPlanet doesn't want to say anything to upset the apple cart with PD and or Sony.
Cool. Your impression is wrong - but then if you only read the bits you want to read (again - this is the third time you've alleged a bias, and checking out where your posts are made it's not hard to see why that might be) and not the other bits then that sort of thing will happen.
... which saw a lot of erosion of goodwill and relations dwindling to the point of review-bombing ...

... On that front, it has been something of a mixed bag, with some high points and some periods of fan disquiet returning ...

... in the last 12 months, only one new circuit location has been added to GT7 ...

... it’s a little thin on the ground ...

... but it soon tailed off. In fact three of the 12 months had no content update at all ...

... for PS4 players who didn’t see the benefits of Sophy or PSVR2 ...

... it did breathe a little life into the largely denigrated game economy ...

... That just leaves the Invitation system…

... the lack of new race tracks particularly, and recent gaps in content delivery, may cause some pessimism ...
But sure, we don't want to say anything to upset the apple cart...

2 years in and for the me the game still has far too many issues.

I go out of my way to upset the apple cart and only a few of my posts ever get deleted.

Be objective.

Back