The amazing and cool photo thread

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 8,598 comments
TB
You want a big picture?

You win.

This is Dubai

2528065555_8b26b69b93_o.jpg

That would be a bit disconcerting while walking on it. The only thing I would be able to think about is, "I sure hope whoever designed this knows what they are doing" :scared:. Though that feeling withstanding, it would be really pretty cool to walk on and see everything below.

Fun facts

The horseshoe-shaped glass walkway, at a 1,200 meter (4,000 ft) height above the floor of the canyon exceeds those of the world's largest skyscrapers. The Skywalk is not directly above the main canyon, Granite Gorge, which contains the Colorado River, but instead extends over a side canyon and affords a view into the main canyon. USGS topographic maps show the elevation at the Skywalk's location as 1454 m (4,770 ft) and the elevation of the Colorado River in the base of the canyon as 354 m (1,161 ft).

Skywalk protrudes 20 meters (65 ft) beyond the edge of the canyon. The walls and floor are built from glass 10.2 cm (4 inches) thick. The glass on both edges of the floor is tinted and can be used as a "safe zone" by scared visitors. The Skywalk is capable of holding 70 tons of weight (the equivalent of 800 people weighing 80 kg (175 lb.) each), however the permitted capacity is limited to 120 persons. Visitors are provided with shoe covers to protect them from slipping and to prevent the glass floor from being scratched. However, quite a few light scratches were visible already in September 2007.

Construction began in March 2004. It was rolled onto the edge of the canyon on March 7, 2007 after passing several days of testing to replicate weather, strength and endurance conditions of its final destination. The structure was built to withstand up to 100 mph (160 km/h) winds and a magnitude 8 earthquake. Tuned mass dampers were used to minimize vibration from wind and pedestrians.

Also camera's are not permitted on the bridge (metal detectors at the enterance) so whoever took those photos where very sneaky. Security is very tight, so I am very impressed. The reason they give for not allowing cameras? because if you drop them you damage the floor...Yeh right. Its so they can chargeyou additional money if you want your photo taken by them as they are the only ones allowed with cameras.

It is impressive to walk over, though and a little disconcerting walking over a transparent floor from those afraid from heights.

It is impressive to walk over, though and a little disconcerting walking over a transparent floor from those afraid from heights.
I wouldn't say just for people scared of heights.

I'm not scared of heights (I used to work on top of tall ladders and even had one job that had me leaning over the edge of 5-10 storey buildings) but I was recently in an 'attraction' with glass panels in the floor. There was a noticable feeling in the stomach, and it took some mental concentration to let go if the hand-rail. You know, just incase... :rolleyes: It's a natural human reaction to feel a little apprehensive when walking out like that.

Oh good, some time to have some last prayers and look at some Holden pictures for the last time before certain death.

[stir]But that would dramatically cut down the time you have to find some Falcon pictures when you decide you want to see something good before you die.[/stir]

:sly:

[stir]But that would dramatically cut down the time you have to find some Falcon pictures when you decide you want to see something good before you die.[/stir]

:sly:

You know what, you're right. I would waste time I could use to find a Falcon picture..........and burn it to see something good.:mischievous: :lol:

Teahupoo - Home of the heaviest waves on earth (yes, people do surf this monster break.)

That wave is huge! That sun is tiny!

And just think, about four to five feet under that wave, that will no doubt slam you very, very hard into the ground if you had a wipe-out, lies some of the most dangerous coral reef that has ever existed on the face of the Earth.

Wipe-out = Flesh-shredding death

[sarcastic conspiracy theorist]NASA creating an image that isn't entirely real? Noooo. They wouldn't do that. [/nutcase] :P

The final picture of that crash in incredible. I'm surprised he was even able to walk again after that, but to actually still be able to compete in racing today is astonishing.

Ouch, just took the engine half clean off. Sort of like Martin Donnely.

Back