The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
Most of the video seems to be actual footage, however, the section involving the WRX STi WRC car is obviously CGI.

The car is a lot "dirtier," it lacks that "clean" kind of look allt he other cars had in the video.

The in-car camera shown of the WRX has been seen before (there was a similar shot shown in the trailer for GT5P, with the 350Z race car). It's not an actual camera in game - it's given away by how much detail is given to the driver and co-driver, and the way they move so much - yes it'd be nice to have this in the game, but it's not going to happen.

It is also inconsistent with other cars. The part with the Citroen and the Red Bull WRC cars rallying looks to be in game. Notice how clean both cars look, despite it being a dirt track and copious amounts of dirt being thrown up.

Another point has already been raised, the car lands on the passenger side, yet all the damage is on the driver's side.

Also notice how much motion blurring is used in the background of the WRX. Backgrounds of a car aren't that blurred in GT5 replays.

This is merely KY telling us damage will be implemented in one way or another, but you can't take the sample shown on the WRX to be the real thing.

And no, I'm not a GT5 basher. I totally believe in KY, and after seeing this, I will be expecting damage in GT5. All I am saying is that you cannot take what was shown on the WRX to be what we're actually going to get - until it is clearly in-game footage, or a screenshot of in-game footage, then we do not yet have any representation of what damage will ACTUALLY be like

The car is a lot "dirtier," it lacks that "clean" kind of look allt he other cars had in the video. I don't see the difference. Maybe it's the angle you see; dirt usually doesn't collect in the front of the car, but on the sides. The video doesn't give you a clear shot of the side of the Suzuki, whereas you can clearly read the stickers on the fenders of the STI

The in-car camera shown of the WRX has been seen before (there was a similar shot shown in the trailer for GT5P, with the 350Z race car). It's not an actual camera in game - it's given away by how much detail is given to the driver and co-driver, and the way they move so much - yes it'd be nice to have this in the game, but it's not going to happen. Too much detail is not proof.

It is also inconsistent with other cars. The part with the Citroen and the Red Bull WRC cars rallying looks to be in game. Notice how clean both cars look, despite it being a dirt track and copious amounts of dirt being thrown up. Cars don't appear dirty for being in a rally track; they get dirty as they move around it. It seems like these cars just started the race. Again, you never get a clean (no pun intended) shot of the sides.

Another point has already been raised, the car lands on the passenger side, yet all the damage is on the driver's side. See my previous post.

Also notice how much motion blurring is used in the background of the WRX. Backgrounds of a car aren't that blurred in GT5 replays. Not having been done before is not conclusive proof against it.

This is merely KY telling us damage will be implemented in one way or another, but you can't take the sample shown on the WRX to be the real thing. Maybe

And no, I'm not a GT5 basher. I totally believe in KY, and after seeing this, I will be expecting damage in GT5. All I am saying is that you cannot take what was shown on the WRX to be what we're actually going to get - until it is clearly in-game footage, or a screenshot of in-game footage, then we do not yet have any representation of what damage will ACTUALLY be like

I just don't think you can say either way based on the points you raised. We've seen PD pull some amazing stuff before; only a couple of months before we couldn't believe they would achieve GTHD's quality for in game graphics, but they did. All of a sudden, that feat's become old hat and we forgot how amazed we were back then.

I just don't think you can say either way based on the points you raised. We've seen PD pull some amazing stuff before; only a couple of months before we couldn't believe they would achieve GTHD's quality for in game graphics, but they did. All of a sudden, that feat's become old hat and we forgot how amazed we were back then.

They have pulled off amazing feats before, and I'm not saying they won't pull something off now. But I'm simply comparing the WRX footage to other footage in the video which looks more like in-game footage.

My point about the blurring in the WRX part is that it's inconsistent with other parts like the NASCAR part in Daytona. That is clearly in-game, it's a very similar style to what we have in GT5P, albeit with a massive improvement in graphics.

My point of view.

This is not a CGI game play.

This is SHOWROOM CARS, everyone knows that in SHOWROOM GT5P looks bit better and cleaner over in game GRAPHICS. We will see dirt on cars as well damage from day one. With very similar graphics. This is exacly what INTRO TO GT5Prologue start like.

Ok now my problem is how realistic can damage actually get?
Will this be purely cosmetic or will it have lasting effects on your cars?
I'm going to guess with PD's level of realism in GT5 that we will see simulation style damage. Hopefully tire blowouts and overheating.

24c9mqb-1.gif

Ok??? It appears to me that the car lands hard on the passenger side.
Watch where the car lands the hardest. Right after it touches down on the right side, you can obviously see how the left side slams into the ground.

Reventón;3415426
Watch where the car lands the hardest. Right after it touches down on the right side, you can obviously see how the left side slams into the ground.
revention is right, the right side hits first, but the LEFT side is what slams into the ground...

Reventón;3415426

It makes contact with the passenger side first, yet it is undamaged. Physics would show the entire weight of the car landed on that side receiving the brunt of the impact and the driver side only should get the recoil.

It makes contact with the passenger side first, yet it is undamaged. Physics would show the entire weight of the car landed on that side receiving the brunt of the impact and the driver side only should get the recoil.
The physics of it don't work that way. It looks like when the car touches down on the right side the tire lands on the ground, and then the left side will INCREASE speed as it falls, and hit the ground with a much larger amount of force.

However, there is one other possibility. The small snipit of the the WRX before the crash, and the crash footage itself may not be from the same jump.

So are you saying that the passenger side bumper never hit the ground? The tires on the driver side should have caught the car because after initial impact with the passenger side bumper the car leveled out before the second impact with the driver side. As I stated before the passenger side bumper should have been push into the ground causing the most damage. The passenger side tires wouldn't had been there to catch the car at that angle.

So are you saying that the passenger side bumper never hit the ground? The tires on the driver side should have caught the car because after initial impact with the passenger side bumper the car leveled out before the second impact with the driver side. As I stated before the passenger side bumper should have been push into the ground causing the most damage. The passenger side tires wouldn't had been there to catch the car at that angle.

No, the passenger side tire hits the ground, the suspension kepps the bumper off the ground preventing a lot of damage, but the suspension pushing up on the passenger side, along with the lever effect and gravity on the drivers side, results in a LOT OF F---ING FORCE ON THE DRIVERS SIDE... drivers side bottoms out, resulting in? DAMAGE! You got it!

You're not understanding how physics works, or watching the cockpit when it lands.

From the cockpit view, you can clearly see that the front bumper does not go into the ground. From the cockpit view, the car is actually just tilted to the right.

When it lands, the passenger side actually hits the ground somewhat smoothly with the right front tire & suspension absorbing most of the impact. The major damage then, comes from when the driver side comes down. Watch the video in numerous times. You can clearly see the driver's side of the car coming down very hard right after the passenger side tires come down.

Even watching the last few milliseconds of the cockpit scene shows the hood pop up as a result of the left side coming down too hard.

I give up! I guess PD can do no wrong. Ask yourself this though, if the car is only tilted to the right, how come the windshield is full of ground right before the impact.

Im pretty sure off a jump that big, whatever hits first is going to absorb the most energy... the passenger side. I get the accelerating blah blah, but kinetic energy is what we are worried about. Alot of the energy would be lost in the first jolt... to the passenger side.

I give up! I guess PD can do no wrong. Ask yourself this though, if the car is only tilted to the right, how come the windshield is full of ground right before the impact.
You're just not going to get it without understanding physics, but that's not PD's fault.

Regardless of where the car is looking at, the right tire/suspension is what absorbs the first landing. After the suspension absorbs the landing, it will push back up. This helps push the energy back over to left resulting in the hard landing.

Watch the video again. Even the driver's head reacts more to the forces when the left side comes down.

Im pretty sure off a jump that big, whatever hits first is going to absorb the most energy... the passenger side. I get the accelerating blah blah, but kinetic energy is what we are worried about. Alot of the energy would be lost in the first jolt... to the passenger side.

No, most of the kenetic energy is NOT absorbed, but rather TRANSFERED to the drivers side, BECAUSE of the smooth landing on the passengers side... I have spent the last two years in school studying this s--t, trust me... I have one more year to go to...

No, most of the kenetic energy is NOT absorbed, but rather TRANSFERED to the drivers side, BECAUSE of the smooth landing on the passengers side... I have spent the last two years in school studying this s--t, trust me... I have one more year to go to...

That why i said off a jump like that... its not going to land smooth. that thing wouldve dug into the earth and not drove away. Thay showed alot smoother landings in the X-games and WRX's were destroyed.

That why i said off a jump like that... its not going to land smooth. that thing wouldve dug into the earth and not drove away. Thay showed alot smoother landings in the X-games and WRX's were destroyed.

WTF are you talking about. There is no way to tell what "type of jump" that is, you don't even SEE the hill, or the slope on which it lands... all you see is the somewhat smooth landing on the right side, and then the slam on the left..

I hate to say this guys but it appears that TofuStoreDrift may be right, look at these screenshots;

First of all, this is the last moment we see the car in flight before it hits the floor. The location of the ground, paying special attention to the dirt on the left, means we can tell the car is tilted to the right;

Here is the moment of impact. The dirt on the left is still in the same location, as is the ground out of the right side window. This suggests that the car is still tilted to the right, as it was in the previous screenshot. Yet look at the crumpled bonnet on the left;
damage.jpg

This could be to do with the blur of the bodywork, as I first thought, but then look at the blur of the bodywork above my red line. It's much less pronounced and prominent within the image.

Last edited:
Moglet, you are failing to take into account one thing. The road is banked to the right, meaning what RedSuinit is saying is correct.

It's only banked to the right ever so slightly, not enough to cause a change of angle as dramatic as that in the video. If you freeze the video on the external shot before the car lands it's clear that the angle of the road through the windscreen has come from the car taking off at an odd angle and causing a tilt upon landing.

The damage is still very impressive IMO and I'm not saying I agree with the idea of it appearing like it does in FM2, I'm just pointing out that the right hand side of the car hits the ground first and as it does so it appears that damage appears on the left hand side for no apparent reason. It could just be that the bonnet has been de latched due to the impact and is coming away from the car in my 2nd image, it's too early to say for sure!

I fully understand the reasoning behind RedSuinit's posts though, that the suspension travel allows the right hand hit to be absorbed while the left side takes the brunt of the impact upon landing, causing the damage. I'm just trying to provide balance.

Last edited:
It's only banked to the right ever so slightly, not enough to cause a change of angle as dramatic as that in the video. If you freeze the video on the external shot before the car lands it's clear that the angle of the road through the windscreen has come from the car taking off at an odd angle and causing a tilt upon landing.

The damage is still very impressive IMO and I'm not saying I agree with the idea of it appearing like it does in FM2, I'm just pointing out that the left hand side of the car hits the ground first and as it does so it appears that damage appears on the right hand side for no apparent reason. It could just be that the bonnet has been de latched due to the impact and is coming away from the car in my 2nd image, it's too early to say for sure!
The side the damage appears on is because of the impact from the hard landing when it came down. How are you guys not computing this? It's pretty much basic physics.

Reventón;3416015
The side the damage appears on is because of the impact from the hard landing when it came down. How are you guys not computing this? It's pretty much basic physics.

Reventon, my shot is taken BEFORE the left hand side even touches the floor (hence the comparison shot of the angle of the road from in flight to first hit). I understand what you are saying as it would happen on a real car and has happened in real rally events. I'm just trying to point out that the situation is not 100% final or conclusive.

Had my 2nd shot been taken after both sides had hit the floor, I would understand your complaint about my post, but it hasn't. The right hand side has hit, damage has appeared on the left, then the left side lands and the car loses control. See what I'm trying to point out here?

Car gets air
\/
My first image (no damage)
\/
Right hand wheel hits the ground, absorbs impact
\/
My 2nd image (damage appears on bonnet)
\/
Left hand wheel hits the ground WITH rebound from the right hand side, then we see damage from outside the car.

At the end of the day this all happens so quickly you can barely see it, and no game is perfect, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:
But the damage is not appearing for no reason, the right side of the car has a smooth landing and the force is transferred to the left, slamming it into the ground. I watched the video again and again, and the damage seems pretty spot on. I will also go to say that I did something similar in my WRX years back, cost me a pretty penny to fix.

Remember, it is not always what hits first, it what hits hardest.

Edit: Well, I can kinda see what your saying, however, when the car lands there will some flex, but the damage itself is correctly done.

but the damage is not appearing for no reason, the right side of the car has a smooth landing and the force is transferred to the left, slamming it into the ground.

My 2nd photo is taken before the left hand side hits the ground.
I'm not trying to say that hitting the right of the car will damage the left, I'm just pointing out the moment the damage appears isn't quite right, it's a split second too early.

The damage is correct, and it's on the correct side when the rebound is taken into account, it just appears too early.

Last edited:
my 2nd photo is taken before the left hand side hits the ground

I'm not trying to say that hitting the right of the car will damage the left, I'm just pointing out the moment the damage appears isn't quite right, it's a split second too early.

One read my edit.

Two, look at the damage from inside of the car AFTER the supposed impact. It is a lot more noticable.

I will run with my previous statement and say that is just flex in the hood for now. Until we see more actual damage footage we can not say how the game is actually dealing with it (if at all).

One read my edit.

Two, look at the damage from inside of the car AFTER the supposed impact. It is a lot more noticable.

I will run with my previous statement and say that is just flex in the hood for now. Until we see more actual damage footage we can not say how the game is actually dealing with it (if at all).

You could be right, the hood could just be flexing with the way the impact is twisting the chassis. I hope it is that because that would mean another level of damage realism! 👍

I downloaded the trailer from PSN and watched this bit frame by frame on the ps3.
When the car hits the grownd you can see that the windshield wipers are forced forward, then the camera shakes and damage appears on the bonnet (maybe he hit the side of the road, it looks like it) then camera shakes again, and the bonnet goes up and down. Also I think the front window cracked?

another bit with GTbyCitroen, when it looses control.
Maybe it is going to be a spoiler, so I made the letters white...
spoiler start--When the citroen looses control the tuned orange corvette is passing it on the right side, but the citroen turns sideways and corvette passes through the citroen's front...without damaging both vehicles.--spoiler end

Back