The Damage Thread - Best Buy Demo, Now Thats More Like It!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 3,122 comments
Concerning the Citroen vs. Corvette damage pictures, it seems this could be a mechanism to stop the crazy "pinball" effects when you hit other cars. The Citroen contacts the Corvette, and instead of bouncing off the front end takes a bunch of damage and crumples up for a split second, to avoid bouncing off. But then the damage goes away and the car spins like normal. Hmm. Maybe this is how it will work when you turn damage "off", and it will keep cars from bouncing off each other.

Frame 2628:
Damage_2628.jpg

Frame 2632:
Damage_2632.jpg

Frame 2634:
Damage_2634.jpg
Another thing to notice: check out the location of the camera in frames 2628, 2632, and 2634. In 2628, the camera is suddenly high and close to the driver's helmet, in 2632, the camera is much lower and farther back from the driver's helmet, and in 2634, the camera is back in-between the first two frame locations.

last pics from me :)

The first frame with the subaru:

crash0.jpg

crash1.jpg

crash2.jpg

crash3.jpg

crash5.jpg

crash6.jpg

crash7.jpg

crash8.jpg

crash9.jpg

crash10.jpg

Notice the cracks in the second to last pic. Also nice job modelling the under the hood there.. in the last picture.

For the fun of it, I took pics of certain frames... so they are in timed order here:

👍

Just noticed how the display in the subaru is saying that the car is in gear 0 and is doing 999 mph... I hope this doesn't mean that it is pre-rendered?

Last edited:
Just noticed how the display in the subaru is saying that the car is in gear 0 and is doing 999 mph... I hope this doesn't mean that it is pre-rendered?

Did you really need to quote all of the images? Try to avoid doing that in the future, it really annoys the other members.

Sorry about that, completely forgot how much I was quoting lol, and that's something that usually annoys me! But no worries, I've removed them from the quote now :).

So, what do you think?

I think it's just because they haven't finished modelling the cars fully? Didn't the Corvette in Prologue have a non working HUD for a while until they updated it? It might be similar to that.

2628: Damage
2632: No damage
2634: Damage again!

How odd :confused:

I watched the trailer in slow motion with VLC player. The bonnet 'bounces' momentarily after the car has landed.

RE: the citroen and corvette.

In slow motion it looks like the citreon does make contact with the corvette. There was no damage to either car. The corvettes' path wasn't affected. But I think the citreon did 'ghost' through the corvette.

Try watching the trailer again but in slow motion and see what you think.

even if the damage in GT5 isn't perfect it will have to do at least its better than nothing at all.

I think this is even more proof that damage will be on race cars only, most likely only rally cars.

About the WRX, you guys need to look up last years X-Games, no car is driving away from a landing like that, or have that little damage.

I doubt only rally cars. There is no reason that other race cars would not be able to have damage as well. Also not to start anything but in my opinion if FM3 can have Lambos, Porsches and Ferraris flipping and crashing then there is no reason (besides licensing money) that GT5 cannot have the same.

All race cars would require 12 to 16 cars to be damaged all at once, the interview on the other thread seems like every car will have damage... but thats not what logic or the trailer lead me to believe.

it'll be really weird if damage was only in Rally races.

Considering how much time they've been working on the game, it would be really sloppy and unprofessional if they did that.

Pause the video at 1:28 and watch it through 1:31. If you watch really closely it looks like the damage was caused by the an "invisible" barrier that keeps you from going off the track. I'm pretty sure it's this.

Pause the video at 1:28 and watch it through 1:31. If you watch really closely it looks like the damage was caused by the an "invisible" barrier that keeps you from going off the track. I'm pretty sure it's this.
I think it's quite clear the damage is caused in the landing?

I take it as "Damage" will only appear on race cars :sly: .

But I guess we'll wait and see.

You're basing this off of google's translation, which used the word "racing":
"And damage to racing cars we will soon be able to simulate."
"Racing" in this instance may refer to what the cars are doing, not what they are.

Babelfish and About translate this sentence as,
"And also we will be able to simulate damage to running cars soon"
+
"And also we will be able to simulate damage to cars running soon"

I see no evidence of damage being limited to race car-only.

EDITZ LOL: yeah, looks like "Rennautos" is another version of "Rennwagen", german word for "Race car".

Last edited:
So you can calculate damage accurately and account for the millions of variables involved in a crash while the PS3 and PD are wrong? Gimme a break and stop trying to nitpick.

Next time there's an accident near you, go out and look at the accident, position of the two cars, and deduce how it happened, and then speak to the people and see how it ACTUALLY happened, I think you'll be surprised that you're almost always completely wrong.

But the fact is that that video is rendered. We don't know whether it has any kind of physics engine running behind it, and if it does, it certainly doesn't look like the GT engine.

I'm not bashing GT, I'm a GT fan. I know there will be damage now, so before anyone flames me, my point is this:

Those who are getting their hopes up now about the damage seen on the subaru representing what we'll get - keep in mind this is a render. I concept video. This part of the video isn't running off the GT engine. What we get may or may not actually look like this.

But knowing KY, we'll get something pretty decent if he's decided to put it in.

Last edited:
But the fact is that that video is rendered. We don't know whether it has any kind of physics engine running behind it, and if it does, it certainly doesn't look like the GT engine.

I'm not bashing GT, I'm a GT fan. I know there will be damage now, so before anyone flames me, my point is this:

Those who are getting their hopes up now about the damage seen on the subaru representing what we'll get - keep in mind this is a render. I concept video. This part of the video isn't running off the GT engine. What we get may or may not actually look like this.

But knowing KY, we'll get something pretty decent if he's decided to put it in.
Got anything to back that up?

Reventón;3417265
Got anything to back that up?

Look on the previous posts I've made. I've already pointed out several differences between that scene and others which more closely resemble something running in-game.

I'm not out here to convince anyone that we're going to get badly done damage (that's not what I'm saying. I KNOW we'll get good damage - it is the GT series after all), all I'm saying is that WRX may or may not be a 100% accurate representation of what we're getting

All the points you raised don't tell either way whether it's a pre-rendered video or real-time gameplay graphics (One car being dirtier than the other? Really?? :ouch: ), so I'd say the burden of proof's still on you.

Look on the previous posts I've made. I've already pointed out several differences between that scene and others which more closely resemble something running in-game.

I'm not out here to convince anyone that we're going to get badly done damage (that's not what I'm saying. I KNOW we'll get good damage - it is the GT series after all), all I'm saying is that WRX may or may not be a 100% accurate representation of what we're getting
But most of your reasoning doesn't actually prove it is CGI, though (such as a rally car being dirty...really?).

Back