The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
Acura attempted to jump on the X6 bandwagon. But failed. Just saw one and realized how no one talks about it.
t0kiw55v.jpg
As I've mentioned before, I actually admire the ZDX. Stands out in a world full of conformity and I would take it over pretty much any crossover on the road. Plus, it looks good from most angles. I'd say it's not ugly, but rather over-styled at that; typical crossovers do not possess such bold, angular lines.

Was that the basis for the rally car in the late 90s?

It was indeed, was also the basis for a planned Super Touring car entry in the BTCC by Andy Rouse in '98. Actually got as far as having its papers approved despite Toyota delaying production and trouble with homologation.

Was even penciled for it's debut at Snetterton and then Brands that year, but sadly Rouse decided there wasn't enough funding so it all dried up.

Toyota Corolla BTCC '98.jpg
Toyota Corolla BTCC '98 2.jpg

Believe it was then shipped to NZ where it raced there.

Mercury Villager
1996_mercury_villager_3_dr_gs_passenger_van-pic-6272657375517855061-640x480.jpeg

The result of a strange partnership between Ford and Nissan, the Villager was a rebadged version of the Nissan Quest. The joint venture consisted of the two brands co-developing the platform, with Nissan providing the power train (in this case the VG30E V6 mated to the 4-speed auto from the Maxima), and Ford supplying the manufacturing facilities in Avon Lake Ohio. The main reason it ended as a Mercury was that Ford was already developing the Windstar at the time of the venture, otherwise two FWD Ford vans would make no sense in the lineup.

In true 90's style, there was a special edition associated with a fashion company- Nautica, in the Mercury's case.
6018714474_44c4a6c6c3_b.jpg

94161221000604.jpg

Early models had navy blue and white exteriors, with the colors being reversed from the 1995 model year onwards. You even got a nifty hand bag to match!

I remember seeing 4 Nauticas for every standard Villager back in the day. For some reason that edition was really popular.

Mercury Villager
View attachment 632663
The result of a strange partnership between Ford and Nissan, the Villager was a rebadged version of the Nissan Quest. The joint venture consisted of the two brands co-developing the platform, with Nissan providing the power train (in this case the VG30E V6 mated to the 4-speed auto from the Maxima), and Ford supplying the manufacturing facilities in Avon Lake Ohio. The main reason it ended as a Mercury was that Ford was already developing the Windstar at the time of the venture, otherwise two FWD Ford vans would make no sense in the lineup.

In true 90's style, there was a special edition associated with a fashion company- Nautica, in the Mercury's case.
View attachment 632664
View attachment 632665
Early models had navy blue and white exteriors, with the colors being reversed from the 1995 model year onwards. You even got a nifty hand bag to match!

Imagine turning up to a dinner party and saying "I drive a Nautica Villager"

I don't know if I want to laugh or cry.

I saw one of these in front of me today, the Pontiac Montana.
Pontiac_Montana_LWB.jpg

oh wait a minute, the Montana I saw was the SV6. In which, I guess I forgot that both in general existed. I don't really know anything about them other that the top one is a rebadged Chevrolet Venture and the bottom is a rebadged of the successor to the Venture. I'm guessing that they weren't very good as I've seen the Montana getting poor safety ratings for instance.

Montana_SV6.jpg

I saw one of these in front of me today, the Pontiac Montana.
Pontiac_Montana_LWB.jpg

oh wait a minute, the Montana I saw was the SV6. In which, I guess I forgot that both in general existed. I don't really know anything about them other that the top one is a rebadged Chevrolet Venture and the bottom is a rebadged of the successor to the Venture. I'm guessing that they weren't very good as I've seen the Montana getting poor safety ratings for instance.

Montana_SV6.jpg
Can't speak for the one on the bottom, but my sister had one of the ones on top and it was straight ass. Interior was okay and it rode pretty smooth for what it was given it's a minivan. But the thing had more engine problems in 5 years than my dad's entire fleet combined and only had 130k miles at most when it finally more or less died for good. The head gaskets are notorious on the things and are part of the reason I refuse to look at anything with the GM 3.4L v6 from that vintage.

The Ford Aztec reminds me more of the European Corolla.
Toyota-Corolla-Finland-1998.jpg
I didn't even know the Corolla came like this until I took a cruise to St. Thomas & St. Maarten back in 1998. At the time, I thought it was the coolest thing.

Pontiac Grand Prix Aerocoupe or 2+2.
273545_5be3fe86f7_low_res.JPG

In my opinion, the GP was overshadowed once the Monte Carlo SS, Regal T-Type and 442 packages dropped. Richard Petty couldn't inject any performance out of it in road car form. Shame, it was a gorgeous coupe in the late 1960s thru to mid-'70s.

The Mazda MX-6

Mazda MX-6.jpg

Despite being based on the MK2 Ford Probe, which seems to be far more of a common sight; even then the Probe isn't massively common anymore (at least in the UK). And to me the MX-6 is a far better car, especially on the looks front IMO.

And the top of the range 2.5L V6 (which the Probe shares) is especially sweet, although the Japanese model got a 200bhp version of the 2.5 compared to the standard 164bhp version everywhere else got I believe.

Plus I think, with a few tasteful mods, it's a really nice looking motor:
Mazda MX-5 black wheels.jpg

(Just get rid of that ruddy bonnet bra, and it'd be near perfect)

Last edited:
The Mazda MX-6

View attachment 632940

Despite being based on the MK2 Ford Probe, which seems to be far more of a common sight; even then the Probe isn't massively common anymore (at least in the UK). And to me the MX-6 is a far better car, especially on the looks front IMO.

And the top of the range 2.5L V6 (which the Probe shares is especially sweet, although the Japanese model got a 200bhp version of the 2.5 compared to the standard 164bhp version everywhere else got I believe.

Plus I think, with a few tasteful mods, it's a really nice looking motor:
View attachment 632941
(Just get rid of that ruddy bonnet bra, and it'd be near perfect)

I was thinking of adding that to the thread! What's much more forgotten is the first generation MX-6.
1990_mazda_mx-6_coupe_gt_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

I feel like these Plymouth Colt's used to be common when I was a kid. Barely ever see them anymore.
93108271990209.jpg

Back