The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
IMG_7942.JPG

The facelifted Mazda RX-8. Don't see these very often. In fact, I don't even recall seeing one in the first place!

Was leafing through an old issue of Top Gear magazine and rediscovered the Maserati Barchetta Stradale:

autowp.ru_maserati_barchetta_stradale_3.jpg

A road version of a short-lived race car that Maserati never ended up producing in any real numbers. 306bhp from a twin-turbo 2-litre V6. Looks fairly... uncompromising.

Was leafing through an old issue of Top Gear magazine and rediscovered the Maserati Barchetta Stradale:

autowp.ru_maserati_barchetta_stradale_3.jpg

A road version of a short-lived race car that Maserati never ended up producing in any real numbers. 306bhp from a twin-turbo 2-litre V6. Looks fairly... uncompromising.
Plaid seats? Strange, Maserati doesn't sound Scottish.

View attachment 639116

The facelifted Mazda RX-8. Don't see these very often. In fact, I don't even recall seeing one in the first place!

Sorry I respond so late, but the car you pictured is not a facelift. It's the second generation RX-8, produced from 2009 to 2012 (Spirit R to be exact). None of the RX-8 generations ever had a facelift. I can see why you think it's a facelift, though; the second-gen RX-8 wasn't too different from it's predecessor cosmetically and mechanically.

Sorry I respond so late, but the car you pictured is not a facelift. It's the second generation RX-8, produced from 2009 to 2012 (Spirit R to be exact). None of the RX-8 generations ever had a facelift. I can see why you think it's a facelift, though; the second-gen RX-8 wasn't too different from it's predecessor cosmetically and mechanically.

Spirit R was never sold in the US. It's an R3.

This and every other GT1 road car from the 90's is pretty much forgotten :/ (except the McLaren F1)

Sadly is the case, somewhat overshadowed by the Mclaren F1.

Always love a good homologation special, and the road going GT1 machines are no different. Loved how they were simply race cars for the road, and how they all made use of various loopholes in the GT1 regs, whether that be the fact that only 1 road car had to be built (e.g. Lotus Elise GT1 and personal fave the Toyota GT-One), or the loophole regarding luggage space, whereby the fuel tank; when empty, could be classed as sufficient luggage space in the case of the GT-One :lol:.

Apart from the more well-known GT1 road cars, i.e the 911 GT1, CLK-GTR/LM, GT-One TS020, R390 etc, there's the other more forgotten machines. Such as the Panoz Esperante GTR-1, SARD MC-8R, and even the Ascari Ecosse (FGT GT1).

There was also the Lamborghini Diablo Stradale GT1, which is a "what could have been", since it was Lambo's attempt at getting in on the action that the likes of Porsche and Mercedes were enjoying. Got as far as being approved by the FIA, but the main guys at Lamborghini, sadly didn't want to inject anymore money into the project. As a result only 2 exist, the yellow one below and another which was sold off for use in the JGTC in Japan (and we all know about that legend :sly:).

lamborghini diablo stradale gt1.jpg

Last edited:
@Doog @Aki Ko I know you might be wondering why i mentioned you too but since both of you own a Lexus, i thought you might tell something more about these.
As a kid who lives in a family that only owned Toyota's (up till 2012), being a fan of some of their cars and Toyota being the most popular cars over here. I somehow forgot about these two cars made by Lexus back in the 90's:

First generation Lexus ES 250:
wallpapers_lexus_es_1989_1.jpg

1991-lexus-es-250-7.jpg

I tend to remember the second generation as the first ES for some reason, forgetting the existent of this. In fact, i don't think i ever seen one in my life before. It kinda looks like a mixture between the Lexus LS, Toyota Crown and Cressida. Being one of the earliest Lexus cars ever, i always remember the LS but not this one.

Lexus LX450 J80:
1996-1997_Lexus_LX_450_02.jpg

LEXUSLX-3405_2.jpg

Similar to above, i always remember the LX J100 Generation and later models but not this one. It's odd that despite Land Cruiser's and LX's being so popular here (We own a 1999 Land Cruiser), i only saw this few times before. The Toyota Land Cruiser version of this however is far more popular on the road.

So anyone have any ideas where these went? :P

@Doog @Aki Ko I know you might be wondering why i mentioned you too but since both of you own a Lexus, i thought you might tell something more about these.
As a kid who lives in a family that only owned Toyota's (up till 2012), being a fan of some of their cars and Toyota being the most popular cars over here. I somehow forgot about these two cars made by Lexus back in the 90's:

First generation Lexus ES 250:
wallpapers_lexus_es_1989_1.jpg

1991-lexus-es-250-7.jpg

I tend to remember the second generation as the first ES for some reason, forgetting the existent of this. In fact, i don't think i ever seen one in my life before. It kinda looks like a mixture between the Lexus LS, Toyota Crown and Cressida. Being one of the earliest Lexus cars ever, i always remember the LS but not this one.

Lexus LX450 J80:
1996-1997_Lexus_LX_450_02.jpg

LEXUSLX-3405_2.jpg

Similar to above, i always remember the LX J100 Generation and later models but not this one. It's odd that despite Land Cruiser's and LX's being so popular here (We own a 1999 Land Cruiser), i only saw this few times before. The Toyota Land Cruiser version of this however is far more popular on the road.

So anyone have any ideas where these went? :P
To add to your "Forgotten Lexus" list, here are a few others that are scarce own roads today.

1989-1994 Lexus LS/Toyota Celsior (first generation).

2000-2005 Lexus IS Sport Cross/Toyota Altezza Gita

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

To answer your questions about why the '89-91 ES and '96-97 LX is so forgotten...

The first generation ES was sold for only three years, and was the first ever Lexus to be sold. Production was close to 60,00 in total, which was no where near the amount of Camrys sold of that generation. These cars faced the same mechanical issues as there Camry counterparts as they aged.

The first generation LX was sold for only two model years, which in itself should say a lot. Essentially, it was a premium Land Cruiser. These SUVs never sold particularly well, totaling in at 14,000 units over the two years. If a vehicle is 20 years old and only 14,000 were made of it, don't expect to see it much today.

I re
To add to your "Forgotten Lexus" list, here are a few others that are scarce own roads today.

1989-1994 Lexus LS/Toyota Celsior (first generation).

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

To answer your questions about why the '89-91 ES and '96-97 LX is so forgotten...

The first generation ES was sold for only three years, and was the first ever Lexus to be sold. Production was close to 60,00 in total, which was no where near the amount of Camrys sold of that generation. These cars faced the same mechanical issues as there Camry counterparts as they aged.

The first generation LX was sold for only two model years, which in itself should say a lot. Essentially, it was a premium Land Cruiser. These SUVs never sold particularly well, totaling in at 14,000 units over the two years. If a vehicle is 20 years old and only 14,000 were made of it, don't expect to see it much today.
That Lexus IS generation is pretty rare over here, both in sedan/saloon and wagon version. I remember seeing a Sport cross almost a year ago on the highway while heading towards the local race track (Bahrain International Circuit because Track day bro!). It really grabbed my attention, reminded me of the Altezza/IS Race Event from Gran Turismo 4 in the Toyota Dealership where i actually used that car.

I wonder why these are a success across the pond, and not here?
Status symbol pretty much.
Everyone either wants a Beemer or an Audi over here. So those that earn more than others want a bigger BMW.

Back in 2009 it was EVO's write up of the long-term IS300 SC that convinced my dad to not get one. What might have been had it come here with the manual gearbox.

Didn't they have the SR20 engine without the turbo? I think they were lightweight as well. Like CRX Si light.

Didn't they have the SR20 engine without the turbo? I think they were lightweight as well. Like CRX Si light.

They were 2400-2500lbs. Heavier than the Sentra SE-R due to larger brakes, wider wheels, heavy duty cooling system, and t-tops.

And yes the SR20 was the top engine

BMW 5-Series Gran Turismo
bmw_5_series_gt_8.jpg

The "5-Series crossover" sold very low. I'd say it's more common do see an M6 Convertible or I8 than one of these.​
I literally saw two of these, one after the other, on the way to work today while waiting at a red light. One was white I think and the other was a very dark blue.

Made me giggle a bit.

Back