The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
I'm thinking of the 2012-Present Morgan trike.
I've no doubt, seeing as they're all the rage, but that doesn't change the fact that Morgan was building three-wheelers more than a century ago and the others are jumping the new trend of offering 50% more vehicle than a sport bike with 75% of the performance at 200% the price.

After watching a top gear episode of it I don't think I've ever seen a new Aston Martin Virage yet. I almost forgot about them until I watched that top gear episode when James tested it. Did they sell that many of them?

After watching a top gear episode of it I don't think I've ever seen a new Aston Martin Virage yet. I almost forgot about them until I watched that top gear episode when James tested it. Did they sell that many of them?

They only produced the Virage for one year due to poor sales. It's essentially another DB9.

While 90s Cavaliers are still pretty common, the first-generation Dodge/Plymouth Neon has completely vanished from American roads. I saw one yesterday, which was the first one I've seen in a long time.

Toyota~IQ~(6).jpg

SVX

As a long-distance car, it’s about as much use as a horse, but as a station car or an urban runaround, especially if your children have no legs, it’s good.

Didn't they try make it look like a Aston Martin?

d4tbp3l9.jpg

While 90s Cavaliers are still pretty common, the first-generation Dodge/Plymouth Neon has completely vanished from American roads. I saw one yesterday, which was the first one I've seen in a long time.

Because original Neons always had drivetrain reliability problems even after Chrysler figured out the head gasket thing, whereas that nasty little 2.2 and three speed that most Cavaliers had will "run" far past when the car is so rotted into the ground that it won't pass in any state with an inspection.

They only produced the Virage for one year due to poor sales. It's essentially another DB9.
The Virage was a middle ground between the DB9 and DBS but they discontinued the Virage due to poor sales but they brought the DB9 up to Virage-spec and so the Virage is quite rare and seems to be holding it's value well.

I saw one of these yesterday, I forgot about the Matrix XRS. Though, I'm looking at the specs of it and remembering why I forgot about it. It looks like it was meant to be Toyota's sporty hatchback, only they for got to add the sporty performance.
2009_toyota_matrix_4dr-hatchback_xrs_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

SVX
Loads of those still knocking about in the UK. One of my colleagues owns one.

I'm more surprised that there isn't a kind of underground tuning scene for them, as they're getting quite cheap now, i.e. to the level where younger people can afford them. Being one of the smaller and lighter Japanese cars available you'd think people would be able to see its potential for having a bit of fun.
As a long-distance car, it’s about as much use as a horse, but as a station car or an urban runaround, especially if your children have no legs, it’s good.
Are you quoting someone there or is posting in italics just something you do?

Either way I'm not sure I'd agree. As small cars go the iQ is pretty refined and comfortable, and it's supposed to ride fairly well.

You're right on rear legroom, though I've heard it best described as a three-seater, as there's supposed to be decent rear space if the passenger seat is pushed a little further forward.

My interest in the iQ has always been tempered by the existence of the Smart Fortwo. The iQ's rear seats seem like a gimmick and it's a car best used as a two-seater anyway, and if you're using it as such then the Smart is more interesting. More inventive packaging, a brighter and airier cabin etc.
Speaking of Cavalier's, always had a soft-spot for the Vauxhall variant, particularly the mk3 Cav. Not so long ago there were still loads of them on the road in the UK, very rarely see them now (mind you the latest mk3's are 22 years old now)
22 years old is pretty scary, if only because it almost makes the Mk1 Vectra a classic...

Drove a pristine Cavalier V6 not so long ago. Pretty terrible by most standards, but old enough that it matters less than it did, simply because it feels so different to anything modern. That V6 is a nice enough engine too.
Remember when these were everywhere?
1996-audi-a4-photo-166297-s-429x262.jpg

I genuinely haven't seen a 1st gen A4 in at least 5 years.
They still are everywhere in the UK.
The Clio RSi. Overshadowed by more powerful 16S and - of course - Williams. I think it would be a great competitor for the 106 Rallye.
That's probably being a bit kind to the RSi. By the time it came out the Clio was falling behind its rivals and it doesn't have anything like the focus of a 106 Rallye. Interesting for being rare, but not much more than that. I'd say the second-generation Clio RSi is equally forgotten though, mainly thanks to the 172 hitting the road a year later:

renclio98on_750_500_70.jpg

I'm more surprised that there isn't a kind of underground tuning scene for them, as they're getting quite cheap now, i.e. to the level where younger people can afford them. Being one of the smaller and lighter Japanese cars available you'd think people would be able to see its potential for having a bit of fun.

I kinda like them. They're quirky and cheerful without being obscure or being in your face about it. There's the feeling of bespoke design rather than a pre-existing design just being squashed to another proportion too.

90s A4's are still relatively common in NJ. I'l tell you what Audi really disappeared, though. The first-gen A6.

Driving one daily makes the ZDX difficult to forget. :P

I'd forgotten Oldsmobile made an Alero coupe alongside the sedan:

OLDSMOBILE-Alero-coupe-410_11.jpg

Back