The Forgotten Cars Thread

• Thread starter el fayce
  • 1,350 comments
I can assume that the Lexus IS350C is much more common in warmer states/countries. But I barely ever see them around.
2013_lexus_is-350-c_convertible_base_rq_oem_1_1280.jpg

Coming from Michigan, I didn't even know these existed.

Come to think of it, the only convertible that is common sight on American roads would be the Chrysler Sebring.

Despite the fact that these had below-par build quality, these sold much better than you would've imagined.

Also, coming from Michigan, these things are all over the place.

Coming from Michigan, I didn't even know these existed.

Also, coming from Michigan, these things are all over the place.
Makes sense. I don't know how true this is but I've heard people say that in the Midwest, practically all the cars on the road are American.

Makes sense. I don't know how true this is but I've heard people say that in the Midwest, practically all the cars on the road are American.

Not from the Midwestern United States, but living in the Canadian Prairies which is the same thing: it depends on where you live. If you are living in bum**** nowhere, most of the cars on the road are going to be American, considering that there's probably been a long running FCA/Ford/GM dealership in a small town that everyone goes to to buy a new car. In some of the bigger cities that are like 50,000 people or less, you'll probably have more choice. I know in Brandon at least, I see a lot of FCA products (especially Jeep Cherokees, my god) alongside Hyundais and Toyotas.

Of course, if you are living in the suburbs of some place like Chicago, Detroit, or Winnipeg, you'll probably have a lot more variety in terms of choice and what you see.

American to non-American cars are probably around 2:1 from fall until spring where I am in a more rural area. I say rural area, but I live on a golf course in a suburb next to a large "resort," and when the people that live in the "resort" come here for the summer, it's closer to 1:1 since most are Floridian retirees that drive SUVs and never break 45 mph.

In the larger metropolitan areas about 20-30 miles away, it's probably a 1:1 or maybe 1:1.5 ratio of American to non-American cars, but the introduction of imports is relatively new since GM used to have several production facilities not far from where I live.

Come to think of it, the only convertible that is common sight on American roads would be the Chrysler Sebring.

Despite the fact that these had below-par build quality, these sold much better than you would've imagined.
Hmm...i don't think i ever saw one of these before. Probably because Chrysler isn't as much popular as Dodge, RAM or Jeep over here.

Pretty much any Kia or Hyundai from pre-21st era would be none existence nowadays.
Non-existent is what you ment to say, but yeah, every Hyundai & Kia from the late 80's and early to mid 90's were pretty much overshadowed by better and more common Japanese and American cars and trucks today.

Non-existent is what you ment to say, but yeah, every Hyundai & Kia from the late 80's and early to mid 90's were pretty much overshadowed by better and more common Japanese and American cars and trucks today.
Ops, blame the auto correction on my phone but yep, same could be said to the early 2000's.
I remember back when these Kia Carnival used to be popular here:

s3photo_%D9%84%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%B9_%D9%83%D9%8A%D8%A7_%D9%83%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%86%D9%81%D8%A7%D9%84_2005-i147153547521770019.jpg

And the Accent as well:
300920_m03mj.jpg

ZT9rK61e.jpg

Ever since 2010, Hyundai and Kia suddenly became the new Toyota. It's like how everyone started switching to Japanese Brands in the 1980's. It might be not that long before Chinese car brands does the same.

Lesser known South Korean car company Daewoo Motors sold their cars in the US. Unfortunately not only did they face its native competitors Hyundai & Kia, but the untouchable Japanese car companies that were dominating the compact & midsize car segments at that time. Only 3 models were sold.

Lanos
photos_daewoo_lanos_2001_1_b.jpg

images_daewoo_lanos_2001_1_b.jpg

Nubira
wallpapers_daewoo_nubira_1999_1_b.jpg

photos_daewoo_nubira_1999_2_b.jpg

Leganza
pictures_daewoo_leganza_1998_1_b.jpg

pictures_daewoo_leganza_1999_1_b.jpg

To no one's surprise they were a commercial & critical failure due to their cheap build quality and questionable reliability which explains how Daewoo never held a candle to its competition and they sorta felt more like the successor to their LeMans/Racer as their sales sunk and withdrew from the US in 2002.

Ops, blame the auto correction on my phone but yep, same could be said to the early 2000's.
I remember back when these Kia Carnival used to be popular here:

s3photo_%D9%84%D9%84%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%B9_%D9%83%D9%8A%D8%A7_%D9%83%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%86%D9%81%D8%A7%D9%84_2005-i147153547521770019.jpg

And the Accent as well:
300920_m03mj.jpg

ZT9rK61e.jpg

Ever since 2010, Hyundai and Kia suddenly became the new Toyota. It's like how everyone started switching to Japanese Brands in the 1980's. It might be not that long before Chinese car brands does the same.

Those are still very common here. The 90's Accent?/Excell? is also widespread on the roads. They turned out to be really reliable as long as they don't rust away. Hyundai has become one of the brands I recommend to people who are looking for a cheap reliable car.

Toyota Camry V-Series (Narrow Body) from the eighties:

maxresdefault.jpg

It's looks more like a Corona than a Camry to my eyes:

toyota_corona_sf_a1233144439b1233144439_orig.jpg

Last time i ever heard of the older gen camry's was that RCR review on the 2007 Camry.

How to yawn: in 2 easy steps.

Step one: Hop onto google.com.

Step two: search "Dodge Journey."
1200px-2017_Dodge_Journey_Crossroad_%28Joshua_Tree%29.jpg

They still make this!? I'm baffled that they've kept such an archaic design in production for such a long time.

I'm actually in the few who like this car, anything is better than the boxy Nitro tbh

They still make this!? I'm baffled that they've kept such an archaic design in production for such a long time.
One of the worse seating positions I've ever sat in for a car. It was the R/T version. No foot rest. How can they sell it without a foot rest? I wouldn't journey in Journey.

One of the worse seating positions I've ever sat in for a car. It was the R/T version. No foot rest. How can they sell it without a foot rest? I wouldn't journey in Journey.
Not having foot rests is the disappointing norm with most American SUVs. I've driven many Fords and Chevys and Dodges and Chryslers and GMCs and... etc. and I can't remember one of them having a comfortable place to rest your left foot. My only thought is the manufacturers decided that since you're in a chair-like seating position you'll just rest your foot on the floor.

Not having foot rests is the disappointing norm with most American SUVs. I've driven many Fords and Chevys and Dodges and Chryslers and GMCs and... etc. and I can't remember one of them having a comfortable place to rest your left foot. My only thought is the manufacturers decided that since you're in a chair-like seating position you'll just rest your foot on the floor.
I thought I could do just that, but I was still uncomfortable.

3 of these live in my street!

Back