The General Anime Thread...

• Thread starter Kent
  • 66,789 comments
So I started watching K-On! and I must say the character design are just pure moe. All the main girls are just kawaii.

I'm looking forward to watching the series.

I recently watched K-On because a girl I know is a big fan and Shaun Andjen claimed he was being sincere when he called it the Ulysses of anime.

I started out highly sceptical, as I'm not usually so keen on moe stuff; but in all honestly I found it to mostly be an accurate depiction of being a teenager in a band.

I love the little details in it, like how Mio has big hands and plays a J-Bass, while Azusa has small hands and plays a Mustang.

There are times when it slips a bit too far from the them being a band premise for my liking (although the Ro-mio and Ju-rietsu part was fantastic), and I wish they didn't cop out on exploring some of the more queer themes in the show (just say Mugi's gay goddamnit); but overall I'd probably rate it in my top 10.

More iM@s songs abound. It was the 6th anniversary today, you see. So they crashed out a bunch of announcements. Including another new album...with this at the front of it.

Yes, another song for Kanade. And Mika's in this one too. That's my two favourites in the Winter Seasons song. By god, am I happy to be a KanadeP this month. Oh yeah, and she'll be in this week's CG Gekijou thanks to Nina.

dQy901C.jpg
PFmEZOD.png
UV8V3QA.png
8L0Bf8l.jpg
3a2rI02.jpg
nUj9idq.png
gwI7HCL.jpg
iOOvLa5.png
Bzh0vqN.jpg
oQ1rkMJ.jpg
lwCuomu.jpg
C9W8r4H.jpg
Ks76J2V.jpg
KmS065P.jpg
SkvC6QH.jpg
OYKiHYI.jpg

P.S. None of the images in that spoiler are the best one I've seen this week. But I couldn't get away with posting it here...I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:
So, mid-season has passed so I think I'm going to give simple review from whole shows I've watched (spoiler free) :

Two Car : An okay show, but lack excitement in it. If you want to watch cute girls racing with sidecar bikes there you have it.

Food Wars S3 : Better than previous season, the recent plot twist (I didn't read the manga btw) makes it a bit interesting to catch up.

Inuyashiki : Surprisingly violent, yet pretty good at exploring character background imo. A bit sloppy on the CGI and there are some rough edges, but most of the time is well animated.

Girls Last Tour : Typical CGDCT show, but in a harsh and apocalyptic settings. Love how two main characters interacted each other and spend their time travelling and playing together.

LL Sunshine S2 : An improvement from first season and finally Aqours can show what they can do in this season. Good to know more all characters personalities a bit more deep in this season and their continuous progress to LL.

Kekkai Sensen S2 : Still cool and awesome show to watch, just like first season. Some episode have a bit slower pace than usual but still entertaining to watch. Also, the ED is my favorite lol.

Alright that's it. Those could change when this season ends but who knows?

Also, anybody here watch Houseki No Kuni/Land of Lustrous? I've heard it is pretty good though. Might want to hear your opinion about it if you watched it.

And as usual, weekly dose of idols :

IMG_20171120_044352.jpg

DO THE FLIP!!! (Heck I want to see the real seiyuu doing it...) :

65946019_p0.png

There's nothing wrong for liking 2 different things right?...

IMG_20171118_130150.jpg

Yep, watched all of it. There's just something so simple-minded about it that I find entertaining.

Glad you like it. Myself prefer first season compared to second one. Imo second season is rushed near the finale. Not a fan of the movie though. Expect better animation quality but it is just the same with TV series. Also the story is less interesting imo. The OVA is good I guess.

However, I agree if there is something entertaining about it. Maybe because of the quirky humour and harem-romance relationship tropes. As what you said being a "guilty pleasure" that is.

Glad you like it. Myself prefer first season compared to second one. Imo second season is rushed near the finale. Not a fan of the movie though. Expect better animation quality but it is just the same with TV series. Also the story is less interesting imo. The OVA is good I guess.
The movie was just a bit... meh. At least the main series has some action and excitement going for it, but the movie was just a bit... meh. It had nothing particularly interesting going on. Maybe my expectations were a bit higher given that it's a movie. I don't know how else to describe it. :lol:

The 1st OVA was okay, but the 2nd OVA with Kurumi had a surprisingly refreshing story that goes beyond Date A Live's usual simpleminded harem and ecchi humour. It had an additional emotional dimension to it which was fairly surprising for a series like this.
However, I agree if there is something entertaining about it. Maybe because of the quirky humour and harem-romance relationship tropes. As what you said being a "guilty pleasure" that is.
It's certainly hard to explain to someone else why you think the show is good. "You should watch Date A Live because, um... oh yeah! Wait, no." But I still like it. I think there's something about the general cheerfulness of the show and the lack of dread that appeals to me. The protagonists always win and they overcome all the challenges that are thrown at them, they are hardly backed into a corner and nothing "bad" ever really happens to them. The story may be simpleminded and stupid, but that's kinda what I like. It doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't. For that reason I also liked DanMachi.

The movie was just a bit... meh. At least the main series has some action and excitement going for it, but the movie was just a bit... meh. It had nothing particularly interesting going on. Maybe my expectations were a bit higher given that it's a movie. I don't know how else to describe it. :lol:

The 1st OVA was okay, but the 2nd OVA with Kurumi had a surprisingly refreshing story that goes beyond Date A Live's usual simpleminded harem and ecchi humour. It had an additional emotional dimension to it which was fairly surprising for a series like this.

It's certainly hard to explain to someone else why you think the show is good. "You should watch Date A Live because, um... oh yeah! Wait, no." But I still like it. I think there's something about the general cheerfulness of the show and the lack of dread that appeals to me. The protagonists always win and they overcome all the challenges that are thrown at them, they are hardly backed into a corner and nothing "bad" ever really happens to them. The story may be simpleminded and stupid, but that's kinda what I like. It doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't. For that reason I also liked DanMachi.

Agreed with everything you said mate. I was thinking the same. Also, the male protagonist, Shidou, isn't bad either. Instead he wins all the girls heart and uniting them. I guess that is also a point that makes it good.

Btw, who's your favorite character in Date A Live? Mine is Kurumi. I know she's a bit yandere, but in her normal state she's pretty sweet and lovely (an opposite to her Spirit form tbh). Also, she is a bit tease and kinky sometimes lol. She's also mysterious though, always popped in certain times and dissapeared again.

Agreed with everything you said mate. I was thinking the same. Also, the male protagonist, Shidou, isn't bad either. Instead he wins all the girls heart and uniting them. I guess that is also a point that makes it good.
I think Shidou was a solid MC for a series like this as well. Not much to complain about him.
Btw, who's your favorite character in Date A Live? Mine is Kurumi. I know she's a bit yandere, but in her normal state she's pretty sweet and lovely (an opposite to her Spirit form tbh). Also, she is a bit tease and kinky sometimes lol. She's also mysterious though, always popped in certain times and dissapeared again.
I'm torn between Kurumi and Tohka. On one hand, you have a badass yandere who gets **** done and is rather ruthless when she needs to be, but on the other you have a waifu-tier sweetheart who can turn tsundere when she wants but nevertheless is a very loving person.

Last edited:
I think Shidou was a solid MC for a series like this as well. Not much to complain about him.

I'm torn between Kurumi and Tohka. On one hand, you have a badass yandere who gets **** done and is rather ruthless when she needs to be, but on the other you have a waifu-tier sweetheart who can turn tsundere when she wants but nevertheless is a very loving person.

Tohka is kind of airhead tbh, but her feelings is quite open to Shidou actually. It was Kotori that is tsundere instead imo. Guess a rather shy Yoshino is the one who neutral. Origami is pretty much kuudere but she's always going mad for Shidou lol. All girls are pretty good anyway. It is just a matter of which character that suit your preferences 👍 :cheers:

Tohka is kind of airhead tbh, but her feelings is quite open to Shidou actually. It was Kotori that is tsundere instead imo. Guess a rather shy Yoshino is the one who neutral. Origami is pretty much kuudere but she's always going mad for Shidou lol. All girls are pretty good anyway. It is just a matter of which character that suit your preferences 👍 :cheers:
There was a scene where Shido tries to cheer up Tohka after he made her mad, and her being a tsundere always kind of stuck with me lol.

But I think you're right, Kotori is more of the tsundere, while Tohka is one of those downright pure hearted characters. Everything about her is loyal and faithful. I kinda like that, and is one thing that 2D girls will usually have over 3D girls. :lol:

SVX
You're Under Arrest is a must. Super fun.
Since your recommendation, I finished the first series + OVA and it was amazingly awesome all the way though. Didn't want it to end to be honest! Loved all the hilarious (and serious) situations that Natsumi and Miyuki got themselves into with the gang and the attention to detail when it came to the cars/bikes. 10/10.

Once that was done, I started ReLIFE after looking around MAL for recommendations for something light yet interesting enough and this was it. Really enjoyed the emotional chemistry between all the characters and the plot was 'slice-of-life' defined. Need that 4-part 2018 conclusion already with Hishiro & Kaizaki! (Also happened to be my 600th anime on MAL! :D)

I see you've misspelled Kurumi

Everyone likes her for her open she is... but let's be real though, what kind of special attack involves shooting yourself with a gun? Who the hell designed such inefficient witchery? :lol: Even people in Deadman Wonderland only cut themselves at most.

Since your recommendation, I finished the first series + OVA and it was amazingly awesome all the way though. Didn't want it to end to be honest! Loved all the hilarious (and serious) situations that Natsumi and Miyuki got themselves into with the gang and the attention to detail when it came to the cars/bikes. 10/10.

Once that was done, I started ReLIFE after looking around MAL for recommendations for something light yet interesting enough and this was it. Really enjoyed the emotional chemistry between all the characters and the plot was 'slice-of-life' defined. Need that 4-part 2018 conclusion already with Hishiro & Kaizaki! (Also happened to be my 600th anime on MAL! :D)

Glad you enjoyed both 👍 I haven't finished You're Under Arrest yet but from where I stopped, I enjoyed it oh-so-much.

Good to hear you enjoyed ReLife too! I'm eagerly anticipating it - 2018 is going to be a big year for me. Chuunibuyou, Index III - can't wait!!

Everyone likes her for her open she is... but let's be real though, what kind of special attack involves shooting yourself with a gun? Who the hell designed such inefficient witchery? :lol: Even people in Deadman Wonderland only cut themselves at most.

Homura would do it :lol:

So I started watching another new fall anime that just aired recently not long ago and its the third Honeyworks anime called We Have Always Been 10 cm Apart. It's part of the Kokuhaku Yokou Renshuu series and so far the third anime of the series is fine for the first EP so far and it was the right decision as well to make it into an anime rather than a movie.

My first impressions are the artwork is good and retains the same design as the last two movies but slightly better. The Honeyworks produced OP and ending theme is also alright just like before and other songs they made.

So overall, I'm glad this came in and at the right time as well since I'm in need of another romance fall anime that I need to watch aside from Just Because!.

Back