The general WHAT IN THE WORLD is going on in Canada?

It's certainly a possibility that Trudeau never intended to buy new planes anyway and simply found a better deal on used planes just like we did with old, leaky subs from Britain a couple of decades ago.

Possibly, but Canada is going to have to buy legitimately new planes sooner or later. Trudeau might not be the one to do it, but someone will have to in the not too distant future. The older model F18s are functional, but they're not able to keep up with the rest of the modern 4.5 gen fighter/attack aircraft. Buying ours keeps their fleet functional for the next five to ten years if they really push it, but they're old, old planes. The airframes are simply going to start timing out from too many flight hours, and it will be uneconomical to keep them flying over purchasing new planes. They're a stop gap, not a solution.

The current US options are the F35, Super Hornet/Advanced Super Hornet and Strike Eagle/Silent Eagle, but if the US government makes it too expensive there's the Eurofighter Typhoon, Dassault Rafale and the Saab Gripen. I believe Canada is actually building up to running an actual competition to choose what they buy, and the overall economics of the planes do play a part. Tariffs could be the difference between Canada buying US or Europe, as I'd imagine all other things being equal Canada would prefer to buy American.

Doug Ford is already taking apart environmental initiatives in Ontario, saying it’s in the name of jobs.

I’l be waiting for any report which shows more and better paying jobs have replaced those who lost theirs in the green sector.

Oh and all that even before we talk about the harmful impacts to Ontario’s environment this will have.

Doug Ford is already taking apart environmental initiatives in Ontario, saying it’s in the name of jobs.

I’l be waiting for any report which shows more and better paying jobs have replaced those who lost theirs in the green sector.

Oh and all that even before we talk about the harmful impacts to Ontario’s environment this will have.
Links?

Our esteemed leader making an "apology" around his alleged groping incident 20 years ago:

Points to ponder.

1. Men and women can see the same incident differently and we have to respect that and reflect on it. If he were a conservative this would be interpreted as women over react and can't always be trusted to recall incidents accurately.
2. If he apologized later it was because he sensed she was uncomfortable with the interaction they had, not because he did anything wrong. This is because he sees what happened as benign whereas she thinks she was "groped"...but she's wrong.

His apology at the time:
If I had known you were reporting for a national newspaper, I never would have been so forward.

As a reminder, Trudeau suspended both Massimo Pacetti and Scott Andrews from the liberal caucus immediately upon hearing unproven and uninvestigated allegations of sexual harassment from NDP MP's. Simply the accusation and the hint of scandal was enough to get them ejected from the caucus.

As of this writing, the self proclaimed feminist and champion of women's equality has not suspended himself from any position due to these allegations that have recently resurfaced. Of course everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence until proven guilty..unless of course they are Liberal MP's not named Trudeau.

As a reminder, Trudeau suspended both Massimo Pacetti and Scott Andrews from the liberal caucus immediately upon hearing unproven and uninvestigated allegations of sexual harassment from NDP MP's. Simply the accusation and the hint of scandal was enough to get them ejected from the caucus.

You're seemingly trying to make a like-for-like comparison between two very different scenarios.

Reuters
The woman told the Canadian Broadcasting Corp earlier this year that she was not interested in being associated with any further coverage of the story, and asked that her name not be used, and that she not be contacted about the story again.

You're seemingly trying to make a like-for-like comparison between two very different scenarios.
Both incidents were allegations, uninvestigated and unsubstantiated. It was enough to boot MP's from caucus. The fact that she doesn't want to relive the incident now that she's middle aged adult, perhaps with children or a husband/wife she doesn't want to bring into the spotlight to rehash something from 20 years ago is perfectly understandable.

Both incidents were allegations, uninvestigated and unsubstantiated.

Allegations, yes. Unsubstantiated... in both cases each party has published their view on the matter ('proof' being a vapourous quantity in such allegations). Uninvestigated, no. The Pacetti/Andrews allegations were most definitely investigated.

The significant difference is that the 'new' story about Trudeau (that was very obviously in the press 20 years ago) doesn't have any party actively seeking to pursue it.

Allegations, yes. Unsubstantiated... in both cases each party has published their view on the matter ('proof' being a vapourous quantity in such allegations). Uninvestigated, no. The Pacetti/Andrews allegations were most definitely investigated.

The significant difference is that the 'new' story about Trudeau (that was very obviously in the press 20 years ago) doesn't have any party actively seeking to pursue it.
Pacetti/Andrews were both suspended from the caucus upon accusation not investigation. So we are at the same point now that we were when Pacetti/Andrews were suspended.

Justin Trudeau in 2014 in response to uninvestigated and unsubstantiated allegations of "personal misconduct":
"I am aware of how difficult it is for people to come forward. I believe strongly that those of us in positions of authority have a duty to act upon allegations of this nature," Trudeau said.
"It's 2014 — we have a duty to protect and encourage individuals in these situations to come forward. The action must be fair but decisive. It must be sensitive to all affected parties but, recognizing how difficult it is to do so, it must give the benefit of the doubt to those who come forward."
JT in January of this year:
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says women who come forward with complaints of sexual assault and harassment must be supported and believed.
And he's confident no one will be able to accuse him of the kinds of behaviour that have brought down several high-profile politicians this week.
"I've been very, very careful all my life to be thoughtful, to be respectful of people's space and people's headspace as well," he told CBC Radio's The House, in an interview airing Saturday. When asked if any of his past actions could be misconstrued, Trudeau said he didn't think so. "This is something that I'm not new to. I've been working on issues around sexual assault for over 25 years.
Indeed.

Doug Ford fired Ontario's Chief scientist, no reason given.

Get ready for a wave of anti science policies. Chopping down forests, getting rid of wildlife protections, pollution of air and water and probably health sciences soon after that.

Pacetti/Andrews were both suspended from the caucus upon accusation not investigation.

You're right, my mistake. The investigation did uphold the accusation but, as you point out, that was after they were suspended.

So we are at the same point now that we were when Pacetti/Andrews were suspended.

Still no. The above suspensions were in the face of a complaint about their conduct made to the party. No such complaint has been made against Trudeau and the journalist in question has refused to be associated with the story for the last 20 years. Not the same point at all.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says women who come forward with complaints of sexual assault and harassment must be supported and believed.

Indeed.

Your tone suggests that this is a case where you're happy to pass a judgement. Has anybody come forward with a claim of sexual assault? It seems not.

Still no. The above suspensions were in the face of a complaint about their conduct made to the party. No such complaint has been made against Trudeau and the journalist in question has refused to be associated with the story for the last 20 years. Not the same point at all.
An editorial was published in a newspaper in which the author claims Trudeau groped her. Her editor at the time says that Trudeau fondled the woman's posterior region briefly. The fact that she refuses to be associated with the story doesn't change whether it occurred and, were it any other member of parliament, I suspect there'd be no question about it, they'd be out on their behind just like Pacetti and Andrews were on the basis of allegations only. Trudeau has made it quite clear in the past that we have to believe women (he doesn't in this case so he's a hypocrite) and the we must act on allegations alone (he doesn't in this case, again, hypocrite). He's basically saying she's wrong, she misremembered, he never touched her, the exact opposite of what he's been preaching. If he were true to his values, he'd suspend himself because, even though she's likely too scared to come forward and be in the media spotlight and face the public scrutiny that comes with it, she made the allegation, she must be believed and he's therefore guilty.

An honourable man doesn't need a formal complaint to know he's guilty or follow his principles. That kind of defense, "Oh look she didn't file the right paperwork", is the refuge of the dishonourable.

I still think had a regular old MP been accused of this they would be put under alot more scrutiny than what the PM is getting right now for this. I guess if you are the champion feminism and get accused afterward it doesnt matter.

An editorial was published in a newspaper in which the author claims Trudeau groped her.

Nope. The reporter is a third party in the editorial.

DfC3qcOW0AA7TAi.jpg

Her editor at the time says that Trudeau fondled the woman's posterior region briefly.

Source?

Nope. The reporter is a third party in the editorial.
Nope

Bourne [Publisher]believes the editorial was written by the reporter herself. Both Bourne and Bell [editor] say they did not write the editorial and that it must have been one of the two reporters on staff. The second reporter, Paul Frey, told The National Post that he didn't know anything about it.

Can't find it so I'll withdraw that claim. Groping and inappropriately handling is enough though.

Trudeau, when the finger wasn't pointed at him:
In Tuesday's interview with CBC's Chris Hall, Trudeau said his government is trying to balance listening to victims and giving the accused due process, but he made a point of saying the recent allegations are cases where women felt unsafe in their work environment.
"These are not just compliments that were taken wrong, or comments that could have meant nothing. There are situations in the cases that we're discussing these days that fundamentally made women unsafe in the work environment, unsure about themselves and truly affected their lives," he said. "There are no frivolous approaches that have been highlighted so far." An independent investigation into Hehr's behaviour will be conducted.

Trudeau said if allegations surfaced against him the same standards would apply.

Source

Trudeau is also quoted as saying, in his "apology" after the incident, "If I had known you were reporting for a national paper I never would have been so forward." Sounds an awful lot like, "Had I know you had some influence and a large platform I wouldn't have groped you", meaning of course, that it's ok to grope women who don't work for national newspapers.

There won't be an investigation because she's probably scared to death at this point of being on the hot seat so Justin will probably escape social justice and his own #metoo movement. But where there's smoke there's often fire....

Anybody know what’s going on in Toronto? Police are on high alert downtown with a terrorist threat but they’re very vague.
I heard something about a Tweet threatening or hinting at another vehicle ramming attack near the CN Tower.

Something funny/weird/strange is happening in Alberta. But what?!

Something mysterious is blocking vehicle key fobs from working in a small Alberta town

As grocery store investigates, theories abound in Carstairs: 'Yeah, put your tin foil hats on'

david-bell.JPG

David Bell · CBC News · Posted: Jan 30, 2019 4:25 PM MT | Last Updated: January 30

carstairs-co-op.JPG
Some customers at the Westview Co-operative Association Carstairs, shown in a Google Maps archival image, are reporting their vehicle key fobs won't work in the grocery's parking lot. (Google Maps)

Key fobs that suddenly won't unlock vehicles. Cars that won't start. Alarms that go off for no reason and can't be quieted. Something mysterious is thwarting drivers outside a grocery store in the small Alberta town of Carstairs — and it's sparking all kinds of theories.

The problems have been happening for weeks in the parking lot outside the Westview Co-op grocery store in Carstairs, a town of about 4,000 about 60 kilometres north of Calgary.

A longtime employee at the dollar store right across the street from the Co-op says it's all she hears some folks talk about when they come into her store to buy a battery for their fobs — and then discover that doesn't solve the problem.

"I've been at the dollar store almost four years," Laura Strate said, with a laugh.

"It's just bizarre. People are actually scared to go to the Co-op now because they don't know if their cars are going to start."

'People are scared to go to the Co-op'

It's lighting up social media, Strate says.

"People start getting on there and saying, 'OK, I've been to the Co-op. Is anyone else having this problem?' And all of a sudden we have 160 people commenting, 'Yes, that happened to me last week,' or 'That happened to me today,'" Strate said.

"I would say it's been probably a good month where people have known there is a problem and it's not just someone that says, 'Oh, my car doesn't work at Co-op.'"

Puzzled store calls in electricians — and even federal ministry
Westview Co-operative Association Carstairs says it's taking the matter very seriously.

"I think it is frustrating," Stephen Kennedy, the store's asset protection manager, told CBC News.

"To see the level of frustration for our team and our guests is where our concern is. That's why we are taking extra steps to ensure we are driving the solution."

Electricians from J. Williams Electric in Carstairs rode to the rescue — but the mystery endured.

"We have shut down the power source in our store this past Monday night to determine that the source of the interference isn't emanating from our location," Kennedy said.

"The location is unknown so we're just waiting for followup from the ministry."

He said they're working with a team to try and figure out what's going on, including a federal government agency.

"We have partnered with neighbours, stakeholders and the Ministry of Innovation, Science and Economic Development."

The Didsbury RCMP say they've heard the rumours and had reports so are looking into it — but it's not a priority for them.

'Put your tin foil hats on'
Meanwhile Strate says people are coming up with their own theories for what's affecting the fobs.

"We joke around here in Carstairs, 'Yeah, put your tin foil hats on,'" Strate said.

People have speculated it could be a security system recently installed by the food store, a nearby Tim Hortons that opened just after Christmas, ongoing highway construction or even the demolition of an old Rona hardware building.

But they are all just theories.

"It is pretty bizarre," Strate said.

CBC News reached out to the Ministry of Innovation, Science and Economic Development for comment, but hadn't received a response by publication time.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5069349/vancouver-harbour-vessel-collision/

The Transportation Safety Board is deploying a team of investigators after a bulk carrier and cargo ship collided in Vancouver Harbour.

The safety board says the collision occurred just after midnight on Sunday morning, but no other information on what happened was released.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5069005/...site-reposts-new-zealand-terrorist-manifesto/

Hamilton police are investigating after a Canadian far-right website reposted the manifesto allegedly written by the terrorist behind last week’s mosque attacks in New Zealand.

The racist manifesto was republished on a website affiliated with Paul Fromm.

We shall see how Paul explains himself

This from out west

https://nationalpost.com/news/canad...ng-and-murdered-women-as-whores-inquiry-hears

Vancouver police officers and staff referred to the missing and murdered women as “hookers” or “whores,” made sexist remarks about female bosses and even disparaged grieving families, but the Vancouver Police Department does not suffer from “systemic bias,” an inquiry heard Tuesday

Last edited:
Have they said whether or not the shooter was posing as a cop or if they were actually a cop? I've seen it reported both ways so far and I'm not sure which, if either, are actually correct. I also haven't really seen a motive either, but if they were indeed posing as an officer, I'm guessing there had to be some sort of motive since that takes some effort to put together. Whatever the case, it's definitely sad to see something like that happen.

Have they said whether or not the shooter was posing as a cop or if they were actually a cop? I've seen it reported both ways so far and I'm not sure which, if either, are actually correct. I also haven't really seen a motive either, but if they were indeed posing as an officer, I'm guessing there had to be some sort of motive since that takes some effort to put together. Whatever the case, it's definitely sad to see something like that happen.

Apparently he was a Denturist and was just posing as a cop, he had a fake uniform and a car that looked like a police cruiser. Not a whole lot of info about it atm.

Last edited:

From what I've heard it seem as if this was a domestic killing that then spiralled into a wild, hate-filled rampage. The guy was definitely not a cop, but apparently had a fake uniform & fake markings on a car at some point. Terrible for the small rural communities in which this took place.

Trudeau refuses calls to exclude tax haven companies from Covid-19 bailouts.

Archived link since it's behind paywall
http://archive.is/uEBOH

Companies that DO NOT pay taxes to our government should NOT receive any help. This is just corruption. I even emailed my MP over this..

I can see the point he's making - employees shouldn't suffer because of the tax arrangements of their employer. It seems to me that the answer is to benefit the employees directly rather than put money into their employer's accounts.

Not going to post any sources or links because it's pretty easy to google yourself, but the federal government has just announced in response to the N.S. shootings that killed 23 and injured 3 more, a two-year plan for the complete ban of all assault-style firearms.

A short list of what that means would be your Colt AR-15s, Ruger Mini-14s, SCAR-platform rifles etc. Basically if it fires a rifle cartridge and was based off a military firearm with little or no sporting usage, it'll probably be banned. The full banned items list covers up to 1,500 different models but I don't think the exact list has been made public yet. There will be a government-run buyback program as well as a grandfathering system put in place during the two years.

Personally I'm wondering about the legality of certain other weapons systems like the Kriss Vector (pistol caliber carbines) and those Norinco AKs and SKS rifles. They are pretty popular at gun stores in my area.

Personally I get it, Trudeau said you don't need an AR-15 to bring down deer, and he's right. I'm hoping these changes to the gun laws will make the country safer somehow and will prevent at least some gun-related crime.

Last edited:
Back