The German Olympic Sports Confederation President Doesn't Believe Esports Exist

Perhaps something has been lost in translation? E Sports are not traditional sports - they are E sports. I see no place for E Sports in the Olympics as that is for traditional physical sports and this may be what the person in the article means, however I can see a time when there may be an E Olympics for E Sports and it may be very popular.

What he means by saying that E-Sports doesn't exist: He doesn't view it as "sport". For him, it's "E-Gaming". Therefor, "E-Sport" doesn't exist.

Also, correct translation is: "E-Sport is as little of sport as knitting and playing the flute"

He is also saying that "sports, unlike video games, teaches values such as fair play and respect towards other people".

"We must not allow the e-gaming industry to collect these sports assets." refers to the above mentioned values, which still makes not much sense.

Obviously, he doesn't know much about E-Sports. Or even normal sport......

Last edited:
Perhaps something has been lost in translation?

For what little German I know, "E-Sport existiert nicht" seems to translate exactly to "E-sports don't exist".

E Sports are not traditional sports - they are E sports. I see no place for E Sports in the Olympics as that is for traditional physical sports

I absolutely agree on this point - the Olympics should be about athletic sports, and I hope all this sillyness about the IOC considering E-sports will lead to nothing. However, saying that they flat-out "don't exist", or that they are as much of a sport as record playing, just goes to show how Olympic officials can be out of touch with reality these days. And to complain they get funding sounds rather pathetic and desperate - maybe the Hessian Ministry of Sports, herr Beuth, should think less of how successful are e-sports in finding financing, and insist more with his government to fund his department?

The definition of sport is: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Source.

Like I've said before; unless they're going to be using FFB wheels with strong settings & full 6DoF motion platforms, there's no physical exertion, & thus it's not a sport according to the definition of the word. There is no physical exertion from playing with a joypad while sitting on a comfy sofa, at least not the kind that would qualify it as a genuine sport. If they do use these two things, then it can be rightly counted as a sport because there is physical exertion involved.

Basically he is not wrong, just german...
Fortunatly the DMSB (Deutscher Motorsport Bund) has a diffrent opinion on this!

Regardless of the validity of the... Uh... Google autotranslation, what he said after sounds fine to me. They absolutely shouldn't be part of the Olympics, no.

VBR
The definition of sport is: "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Source.

Like I've said before; unless they're going to be using FFB wheels with strong settings & full 6DoF motion platforms, there's no physical exertion, & thus it's not a sport according to the definition of the word. There is no physical exertion from playing with a joypad while sitting on a comfy sofa, at least not the kind that would qualify it as a genuine sport. If they do use these two things, then it can be rightly counted as a sport because there is physical exertion involved.

Well the olympic committee is looking at it not that strict, as they recognise Chess as a sport. And if Chess is a sport that can be included in the Olympics, E-Sports can definitely too.

Being a German, I have to tell you, that we're living in the dark ages here, if it comes to everything regarding "the miraculous internet" and therefore, esports aswell.... That comment is a prime example of our officials over here.

I fully agree that there's no place for it in the Olympics. Motorsport in itself is something very different to Olympic sports and while it's possible to get a similar experience (minus the big forces) in a sim setup and do so at a much lower price point than running an actual race car, how would they ever build a comparable experience to a track or field event that wasn't needlessly over-complicated compared to actual running or throwing.

I use Zwift for indoor cycling, and there are great competitions springing up with UCI pro teams competing against each other in live-streamed events. It's entertaining, but including that in the Olympics – potentially to the detriment of another real-world cycling event, given time constraints – would be nonsense.

Well the olympic committee is looking at it not that strict, as they recognise Chess as a sport. And if Chess is a sport that can be included in the Olympics, E-Sports can definitely too.

Regardless of how the Olympic committee view it, there is no physical exertion involved in Chess, therefore it's not a sport as the definition of the word currently stands. Also, Chess is not recognised as a sport in the UK, where I & the English language both originate. Unless physical exertion is part of an activity, it can't be classified a sport from a dictionary definition point of view. If a committee has as alternate definition which contradicts the English language, I will put no stock in it nor entertain it in any fashion.

If curling is an Olympic sport...

curling.gif

If chess is an Olympic sport...
LinearFrequentBird-size_restricted.gif

If what it needs to be a sport is to sweat...
sweating1.png

The problem with medieval-mentality people is that they always tell you what they think is wrong, "that is not a proper way of practicing sport"... ok, then enlighten us and tell us how to improve.

Some people don't have opinions anymore, they have their own reality. Years ago reactionists were like "I don't like this", nowadays they have 'evolved' into "I don't like this, and it should be abolished".

The lack of knowledge about something doesn't mean it has to be undermined (in particular if that thing gets 3 million views in the final at Monaco, for instance).

This itself is sad. Now, add to this that the European Champion of GT Sport (and probably one of the best sim racer we have seen in a long time) is German. It's as ridiculous as a Brazilian politician saying that racing drivers aren't athletes.

VBR

In the very source you posted, there are also several other definitions including:
  • Success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting or fishing.
  • Entertainment; fun.
  • A source of amusement or entertainment.
Esports fit all those definitions and also require physical and mental exertion at a high level of competition. If you're just playing Super Smash on your couch with your buddies, then sure, it's probably not physically demanding, but move up to a major tournament and those competitors need to be in shape to a degree.

There are also plenty of sports in the Olympics that don't require a huge amount of physical exertion including: curling, archery, shooting, golf, and equestrian. However, they do require skill and are by no means easy and something that the average out-of-shape person probably couldn't do.

The IOC also recognizes several disciplines that are along the same vein including: auto racing, bocce ball, billiards, bridge (card game), bowling, motorcycle racing, chess, and powerboat racing.

The Olympics and sports, in general, are more than just about physical competition. It's also about skill too.

IMO the name “E sports” is just sadly chosen, they better named it “E competition” and the world would not be as confusing.

Is E sports literally a sport? In my opinion not, but it sure as hell is a popular and growing phenomenon.

The whole problem with the Olympics statement is that it goes against what they do in real life,chess is considered a Sport for them and sim racing is actually more physically exhausting than chess(i'm not saying chess is not a sport,just that the olympics definition of sport change depending on their personal interests)

The whole problem with the Olympics statement is that it goes against what they do in real life,chess is considered a Sport for them and sim racing is actually more physically exhausting than chess(i'm not saying chess is not a sport,just that the olympics definition of sport change depending on their personal interests)
Chess was an exhibition thing; it's not been included in the Olympics proper and is unlikely to be.

I think the main issue they have with e-sports is the duplication - why would they ever include a sim version of anything over the real thing, which will doubtless require? If they were going to include a driving sport, they'd include an actual motor sport, not an e- version of it.

I can not believe some of the things that I'm reading here..

To the people that have said Motorization doesn't belong in the Olympics.. Umm how about Archery and Skeet Shooting?

To the people who are saying there's no Physical Exertion in Sim Racing.. Ha! I can GUARANTEE you that I went through more physical exertion in my 2 hour enduro at Oulton Park on pCARS 2 last night, more then ANYBODY ever did while Ice Shuffling. :D

Also, I've never seen any of these E-Sports finals use anything but full rigs so using a hand held controller shouldn't be used as an argument.

In the very source you posted, there are also several other definitions including:
  • Success or pleasure derived from an activity such as hunting or fishing.
  • Entertainment; fun.
  • A source of amusement or entertainment.
No, they're not other definitions of athletic sport, just other ways in which the word is used. There were examples attached to each one, none of which have anything to do with athletics. One was a mass noun usually with adjectives. the other was a dated mass noun, & the last was considered archaic. Sport with regard to the Olympics is about athletics, which is defined as, "Physical sports and games of any kind," Source. So, nice try, but, still no.

Esports fit all those definitions and also require physical and mental exertion at a high level of competition.

I don't know of any Esports that require physical exertion. Merely stating that something is so, does not make it so (it's just a fallacy of assertion). Give an actual example.

There are also plenty of sports in the Olympics that don't require a huge amount of physical exertion including: curling, archery, shooting, golf, and equestrian.....The IOC also recognizes several disciplines that are along the same vein including: auto racing, bocce ball, billiards, bridge (card game), bowling, motorcycle racing, chess, and powerboat racing.

Good point. There are some sports that are accepted as sports by the IOC that are not very physically demanding, although I would not include motorsports & equestrian (I already mentioned why Chess is not a sport). However, sitting in a chair & pressing buttons to control a video game has almost no physical exertion factor, unless we're now counting sore fingers! And, most other examples you gave have at least some kind of physical exertion attached to it well beyond merely sitting down & pressing a button.

However, they do require skill and are by no means easy and something that the average out-of-shape person probably couldn't do.....The Olympics and sports, in general, are more than just about physical competition. It's also about skill too.

Nowhere in my argument did I ever mention that skill is not a part of sport, in fact I quoted the definition of athletic sport as being "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Therefore, mentioning this is nothing more than a red herring & a strawman. If you wish to counter my argument, please stick to the points made in my argument. Thank you.

Last edited:
VBR
Also, Chess is not recognised as a sport in the UK, where I & the English language both originate.

Not that being recognised in the UK has anything to do with it being recognised by the German Olympic Sports Confederation, but what about darts?

VBR
No, they're not other definitions of athletic sport, just other ways in which the word is used. There were examples attached to each one, none of which have anything to do with athletics. One was a mass noun usually with adjectives. the other was a dated mass noun, & the last was considered archaic. Sport with regard to the Olympics is about athletics, which is defined as, "Physical sports and games of any kind," Source. So, nice try, but, still no.

They're still definitions in the source you posted. And sport with regard to the Olympics is not solely about athletics, if it was they wouldn't have events that weren't athletically demanding like shooting or archery.

VBR
I don't know of any Esports that require physical exertion. Merely stating that something is so, does not make it so (it's just a fallacy of assertion). Give an actual example.

The FIA-certified Gran Turismo Sport competition in Las Vegas. I was there, next to the competitors while they were racing and it was clear it was physically demanding. The competitors themselves even said so.

VBR
Good point. There are some sports that are accepted as sports by the IOC that are not very physically demanding, although I would not include motorsports & equestrian (I already mentioned why Chess is not a sport). However, sitting in a chair & pressing buttons to control a video game has almost no physical exertion factor, unless we're now counting sore fingers! And, most other examples you gave have at least some kind of physical exertion attached to it well beyond merely sitting down & pressing a button.

Esports it more than just sitting on a couch pressing a button on a controller. At a high level of competition, it can be physically demanding. I've never competed in any form of esports though so I'm just going on what competitors who have had to say about it.

VBR
Nowhere in my argument did I ever mention that skill is not a part of sport, in fact I quoted the definition of athletic sport as being "An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment." Therefore, mentioning this is nothing more than a red herring & a strawman. If you wish to counter my argument, please stick to the points made in my argument. Thank you.

Maybe I didn't word it correctly. The Olympics are more than just about events that require physical exertion and skill. They're also about events that require just skill with little physical exertion, with the prime examples being shooting and archery. They both require little physical exertion but demand a high level of skill. Golf will be the exact same way when it enters the Olympics. T

Equestrian is probably the same way since it's more about the physical condition of the horse than the rider, however, the rider needs incredible skill in order to train and operate the horse to win. Same goes for that horse dancing thing they have too.

VBR

So you looked up the definition of sport, and justified it with another word...physical exhertion. So how do you define physical exhertion? Is there a certain amount of Jules of energy that must be expended? A certain amount of sweat collected?

Curling, fishing, and darts are all considered “sports”. Hell, poker is considered a sport by many, and is shown on TSN all the damn time. Do you know what Dresage is, and that it’s an Olympic sport (it’s horse ballet).

Also I don’t think it’s reasoble to use “sitting on a couch flicking joysticks” as a valid arguement, especially in the context of racing games, since no high level competition in any racing game is done with controllers, it’s all done on wheel rigs.

I’m not arguing that e-sports should be in the olympics, but dismissing esports as a sport because of some dictionary definition that simply uses other undefined words is not a valid arguement.

Back