The Great Project Cars Whinging and Crying Thread

It's not overlooked. Just low priority item that's all. It's still playable on triple screens. Just not like some other sims.

Yea it's still playable, and I have still been enjoying it. Really it's my only complaint about the game. I think they have done pretty much everything really quite well.
Still a little confused, surely the dev' team play or researched some of the other sim titles out there, iRacing, Assetto Corsa all have good triple monitor support...Anyway hope maybe they can add in an update or something.

The UI is definitely not as intuitive and user friendly as I was expecting.

I think you're being polite. The UI is awful. If there are to be so many adjustable parameters/options/settings in a game then each should be accompanied with a description of what each setting changes or accomplishes.
My bigger problem is that I can't achieve the same DS4 button assignments as in GT, so right now Pcars is unplayable for me. To get exactly what I want I would need to remove the Look Left/right/up/down from my button assignments, but I can't. WTF ! ..For all the adjustability these assignments can't be removed ?....Why ?
After all the delays I would have expected a finished game.
Not happy.

Last edited:
I CAN'T EVEN PLAY IT YET - ARGHHHHHHHH!

:banghead:

I think you're being polite. The UI is awful. If there are to be so many adjustable parameters/options/settings in a game then each should be accompanied with a description of what each setting changes or accomplishes.
My bigger problem is that I can't achieve the same DS4 button assignments as in GT, so right now Pcars is unplayable for me. To get exactly what I want I would need to remove the Look Left/right/up/down from my button assignments, but I can't. WTF ! ..For all the adjustability these assignments can't be removed ?....Why ?
After all the delays I would have expected a finished game.
Not happy.
Get a wheel, so much better.

Get a wheel, so much better.

Wrong! It comes down to preference and money. Next to that this game should be just as playable with a controller as with a wheel.

As a developper you develop for a console. A console comes with a controller, not with a wheel.

A customer can expect the game to work properly with the base set. A wheel can enhance the expérience for those who seek this.

Why should a console be controller specific? PCars is a Sim, it's not GTA, GT6, The Crew etc. It's a racing Sim for racing fans.

Is this game really that bad to play with a controller? If that's the case then I'll probably hold out on this game for a good while, until they improve the controller support for the game, or until I get a 900 degree wheel.

Is this game really that bad to play with a controller? If that's the case then I'll probably hold out on this game for a good while, until they improve the controller support for the game, or until I get a 900 degree wheel.

This is pretty much my concern at the moment as well.

It seems to be THATOMGBAD for some, for many others (including me), it is fine with the pad. Not sure whether those being so vocal about it have tried to fine tune the pad to their likings..? (3 different controller modes, various sensivity and deadzone settings, aids etc)

If the whining is only about that bug that some things need to be assigned... Jeez. Set those things that need to be assigned (handbrake :ouch: etc) to pad buttons you dont need like pressing the thumbsticks, swiping the touchpad etc. until the real fix comes in a patch (asap).

Having played the PC version for maybe two hours or so (since release, that is), here's what I've seen that I don't much care for:

- Pit crews standing in the T-pose for a second before they start doing what they're supposed to be doing.
- The floating shadow of my car being projected halfway up an Armco and the hill behind it because the sun was somehow shining through the earth.
- Lots of PS1-style z-fighting on trackside objects and dashboard instruments, seeing the various needles on the gauges flicker in and out of existence is kind of distracting, I'm not sure if this is an issue with my graphics settings... It could be, but I don't think it is.
- Being unable to change your car while playing online is maybe a bit odd, but I guess Gran Turismo might be the only sim I can think of that lets you change without leaving first so that's not a huge deal, then again Project CARS is the only one that has such broad class definitions. That's cool, because it means multi-class racing is practically enabled by default, but I do think it would be good if you could switch during the session.

Apart from all that, I think Project CARS is possibly the best casual/authentic racing game I've played. It's not a simulator but it's also not trivially easy to drive, the career mode is great because you choose where to start and it actually appears to treat the different classes differently, but I have only done one kart race and two Clio Cup so I don't really know for sure yet. I really need to get my G27 back in service.

It's not a simulator [...]

You are the first person who's opinion I respect that claims this nonsense (sorry but thats what it is, you may say its not a good simulation in your opion and thats totally fine). Care to elaborate what makes you come to your conclusion?

You are the first person who's opinion I respect that claims this nonsense (sorry but thats what it is, you may say its not a good simulation in your opion and thats totally fine). Care to elaborate what makes you come to your conclusion?
Based on last line he is using pad for now, so...

I spent some time comparing the same cars and tracks from Project CARS and Assetto Corsa (side note: this was when I was using my G27) and found while Project CARS feels good and probably more exciting than AC, it is much easier to go faster - the SLS AMG GT3 was something like five seconds faster on Project CARS than Assetto Corsa which is a huge gap, but then again I haven't driven the real thing so I can't be absolutely sure... I found AC did a better job of simulating the car being upset over bumps where PCARS was happy to let you keep accelerating without much risk, I think I could've gone even faster if I'd had the nerve to. Also I noticed that it took me something like four attempts to get a good laptime in Project CARS, yet it took over ten attempts to get a lap within five seconds of my PCARS best in AC. I feel like the lift-off oversteer of some cars is exaggerated, too, a bit like how it is in Gran Turismo, either that or the default brake bias is a bit off, I'm not sure, but that's not a big deal once you're used to it.

So, I guess I mean it relatively; I already felt like AC wasn't simulating as much as, say, rFactor 2 or iRacing, and I feel like Project CARS is simulating less than AC, so to my mind if AC is already on the lower end of the scale then Project CARS is pretty much straddling the line between game and sim, which is where they wanted it to sit anyway. Also, I'm not a sim snob so I don't consider 'not a sim' to be a bad thing, just a different thing.

Ok, thanks for taking the time to explain your comment, even though I cant really agree. Coincidentially, I just had approx. 478 times invalidated in the SLS GT3 @ Brands GP community event, due to the car being very upset over some of these bumps. Sometimes life has a great timing. :lol: And in the end, I was still over 3 seconds slower than the top times.

To be honest, I didnt like to drive pcars much back when I had a G27 myself, with the T300 that changed a lot. Much more feel and a whole new world of FFB detail. The one thing where you are wrong and which is not only my opinion but fact is that in regards to physics, they dont want to sit pcars on the line between game and sim. If you think it belongs there, thats fine, but the aim of everybody involved was to make pcars as realistic as possible. But there is always room for improvement, of course.

This is pretty much my concern at the moment as well.

I've been playing with the 360 controller on my computer and after fiddling around with the setting on it, it's very playable. I have no idea how realistic it is since it's still a computer game, but it's still enjoyable and fun even with a controller. If you're looking for a more realistic experience then a wheel will probably better suit you, but to play the game and be entertained, I wouldn't let the controller thing sway you.

It seems to be THATOMGBAD for some, for many others (including me), it is fine with the pad. Not sure whether those being so vocal about it have tried to fine tune the pad to their likings..? (3 different controller modes, various sensivity and deadzone settings, aids etc)

If the whining is only about that bug that some things need to be assigned... Jeez. Set those things that need to be assigned (handbrake :ouch: etc) to pad buttons you dont need like pressing the thumbsticks, swiping the touchpad etc. until the real fix comes in a patch (asap).
on that note, it would be great if somehow they could implement a shift button, let's say Circle, that when held down would allow access to a second bank of commands, for example on the d-pad. can effectively map 8 commands to it, holding shift gives more options. I wonder if that's even possible?

fanatec deadzone

There is a Deadzone Removal Range Setting to get rid of any deadzones. Its set as a offset for the minimum forces the ffb system gives to the wheel. On PC the particular deadzone (or Minimum Force) for your specific wheel can be measured by the little wheel check tool available in the internet. If you cant do that, crank the removal range setting up so something around 0.2 (20%). If your wheel then suffers from center oscillation, tune it back until your wheel is quiet when the car is standing still.

Still yet to finish an LMP2 endurance event without either PCars or the PS4 itself crashing.

Still yet to finish an LMP2 endurance event without either PCars or the PS4 itself crashing.

Can you give specifics about your last crash? Which Car/Track/Weather/Time of Day...at what point in your Race did the PS4 or the Game Crash? Is it always the same point?

Can you give specifics about your last crash? Which Car/Track/Weather/Time of Day...at what point in your Race did the PS4 or the Game Crash? Is it always the same point?

At random points through a 30 minute LMP2 endurance event at Watkins Glen in the Oreca Nissan, not playing it at the moment so I couldn't give you the specifics but the first event in the LMP2 Endurance racing career mode basically. It freezes up for a few seconds, and then either the PS4 crashes or the game itself.

Not sure if serious. Most people are going to play with a controller. So that is very important
The game works fine with a controller, but it's not a plug and play setup, you have to fine tune to suit your driving style. You also have to adapt to the physics, as many of the things you can do in one game or another, you might not be able to do in this game. Same as moving from Forza to GT to Grid Autosport to AC to PCars, they are all a little or a lot different and it takes time to adapt.

The game works fine with a controller, but it's not a plug and play setup, you have to fine tune to suit your driving style. You also have to adapt to the physics, as many of the things you can do in one game or another, you might not be able to do in this game. Same as moving from Forza to GT to Grid Autosport to AC to PCars, they are all a little or a lot different and it takes time to adapt.
Can you describe how the accleration sensitivity is at default on a controller for say an FA car?

Last edited:
Back