The Great Project Cars Whinging and Crying Thread

Have you forgotten that people have been playing this game for 4 years? I know it's a crying thread and all but that's just bs.

Oh and before the dreadful Shift series SMS done GTR & GTR 2 which were better thqan any other console sim ;)
That's all well and good about the earlier stuff. Go on to any public forum like Amazon in any region and check the reviews. The physics were and probably are still rubbish and they did nothing about it - thats a deal breaker for me. Go and play it, be my guest and come back with your honest opinion.

What does NFS Shift 2 have to do with this game?
Same developer - Slightly Mad Studios.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all well and good about the earlier stuff. Go on to any public forum like Amazon in any region and check the reviews. The physics were and probably are still rubbish and they did nothing about it - thats a deal breaker for me. Go and play it, be my guest and come back with your honest opinion.

I did and I do play it. There are no reviews on amazon right now.

Edit: Sorry, next time I'll listen to "Don't feed the troll" until you starve instead of answering on your "they did once a bad job, they will never ever do a good job" posts.

Last edited:
I think you under-estimate the influence EA had on that title.
Sorry, no excuse IMHO. If you put your name to something you own it and the consequences.

BTW to all those after me with flaming pitchforks; I hope I am wrong. I hope Project Cars is a great game and filfills all our dreams. BUT they did Shift 2, it was horrible (please check out all the public forums if you think I exaggerate), but worse than all besides - they did nothing to try to improve it. So please forgive me for not beating the tambourine over their new project until I have experienced proof.

I did and I do play it. There are no reviews on amazon right now. So please shut the **** up until you gave pcars a chance. Goodbye.
You are clearly a young, ill mannered goose and I dearly hope the mods close you down. I suggest you look at the title of the thread you are posting in. Let me put it to you like this: you go to a restaurant and get a really bad meal. Most other people say the food is bad also but the restaurant does nothing at all to respond to the criticism. You want to play cheerleader for the opening at their new restaurant? Good luck with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
...And after S2U SMS made Test Drive: Ferrari Racing Legends - without EA, and it shares many problems with Shift.
Test Drive Ferrari Racing Legends was made back in the Shift 1 days and it was published by Atari. It' was released years after it was made because of circumstances we're not privy too.

Supercar Challenge and Ferrari Challenge have nothing to with SMS. Completely different games made by Eutechnyx.
That's right, and they didn't do idiotic stuff like forcing a steering wheel dead zone on you... :)

BTW, TD:FRL is the best Ferrari themed game - in fact it's the only one without a steering wheel dead zone to kill the game :cool:

Last edited:
@Mercury1 is entitled to have an opinion and there is valid concern. I didn't purchase Shift 1 or 2 because of the reviews. If a racing game was not better than GT5/6, then I was not purchasing. (Only had PS3.) Based on content (cars and tracks), consultant input (Ben Collins, etc.) and WMD input, I'm looking forward to Pcars.

From what I'm seeing, the difference between Shift 2 Unleashed and Project CARS is so pronounced it's like night and day simply from watching a YouTube video (and that's from November 2013). Of course, that's mostly down to how terrible S2U's handling was.

I'm not holding my breath for PCARS to be the ultimate simulator, but perhaps above anything else WMD was able to accomplish, WMD members have undoubtedly helped to whip it into something enjoyable and playable. That's good enough for me in a racing game with all the stuff PCARS has: dynamic 24h/weather, tracks, cars, features/options...

Sorry, no excuse IMHO. If you put your name to something you own it and the consequences.

BTW to all those after me with flaming pitchforks; I hope I am wrong. I hope Project Cars is a great game and filfills all our dreams. BUT they did Shift 2, it was horrible (please check out all the public forums if you think I exaggerate), but worse than all besides - they did nothing to try to improve it. So please forgive me for not beating the tambourine over their new project until I have experienced proof.

You are clearly a young, ill mannered goose and I dearly hope the mods close you down. I suggest you look at the title of the thread you are posting in. Let me put it to you like this: you go to a restaurant and get a really bad meal. Most other people say the food is bad also but the restaurant does nothing at all to respond to the criticism. You want to play cheerleader for the opening at their new restaurant? Good luck with that.

First and foremost, stop double-posting. If you want to reply to more than one person please use the edit button to do so.

Secondly, this scene is no different than it was 2-3 years ago with people, such as yourself, so adamant in believing pCARS was identical to NFS Shift in every way imaginable they immediately dismissed the game without ever having actually played it themselves, and perhaps rightfully so because as you've pointed out both games were developed by Slightly Mad Studios - an opinion you're well entitled to and warrants discussion.

However, this is where that disposition begins to fall apart: pCARS isn't being dictated by investors for the community, it's being dictated by community investors for the community, hence the name Community Assisted Racing Simulator. Shift and Shift 2 Unleashed were under the Need For Speed umbrella, so ask yourself who owns that likeness and who they're showcasing that brand toward. The funny thing regarding the original NFS Shift is that it was going to be a hardcore sim but that approach was scrapped as EA wanted the game to be accepting of players of any skill level, and perhaps rightfully so, as they're protecting an IP wholly unknown for approaching that niche demographic.

As for your restaurant analogy, if that same restaurant is shut down, renovated, and opened anew then surely you would agree that it's no longer the same restaurant, despite occupying the same space because if that were truly the case then I know of a few McDonald locations that must make gourmet meals every single day.

Pcars isn't being published by EA, and iirc SMS worked on new tyre model for Pcars, and there have been many people playing Pcars and giving feedback in the past couple of years, so the comparison to the Shift games isn't really that relevant.

I don't get this hatred towards the Shift series. Ok, there is a lot of bad physics and FFB crap there, but the games were very entertaining.
Shift 2 Unleashed had an awesome lineup of tracks, a decent selection of cars, some interesting gameplay ideas, and impressive graphics/effects. I could have really enjoyed it if the cars didn't handle like waterbeds with pencil erasers for tires.

My Thrustmaster TX died yesterday. Glad I waited 3 months for my TH8A shifter so I could use it once. Guess I'll be playing with a controller.

I'll never get the hype behind this game. Shift 2 unleashed just wasn't cool by my book. I thought it was nice that we had all those tracks and cars, but the thing with the NFS games is that most, if not all of those cars are in there as a cop-out because they're popular, otherwise they wouldn't even think of putting an AE86 in that franchise.

Pcars looks awesome, there's no denying that, but since shift 2 was...well terrible as far as driving physics go, I'm seriously skeptical on how great the driving's really gonna be.

Oh well, I shouldn't even really be running my mouth off, it's a forum we all know how those go lol.

I'll never get the hype behind this game. Shift 2 unleashed just wasn't cool by my book. I thought it was nice that we had all those tracks and cars, but the thing with the NFS games is that most, if not all of those cars are in there as a cop-out because they're popular, otherwise they wouldn't even think of putting an AE86 in that franchise.

Pcars looks awesome, there's no denying that, but since shift 2 was...well terrible as far as driving physics go, I'm seriously skeptical on how great the driving's really gonna be.

Oh well, I shouldn't even really be running my mouth off, it's a forum we all know how those go lol.
Perhaps you should go watch some Youtube videos and read some comments by the people who helped with the input of the game. There is lot's on this forum.

We have literally dozens of sources praising the physics of the game (not saying they are perfect, just really good) and not a single one has mentioned NFS games at all. I've watched hundreds of videos trying to spot flaws in the physics and we've come up with some things like off track grip but for the most part, everything looks as it should be. Why? Because it's a completely different game from the ground up. It's understandable to be skeptical of course and I wouldn't blame anyone for waiting until the game releases and reading some reviews and consumer feedback before buying. But this whole NFS is like PCars (generalizing) is a "copout" on my opinion, for people who don't want to spend some time researching this game, and just want to throw out flamebait in the hopes of attracting some negative response.

Hell, there are some critical WMD members out there who accuse Project CARS of following the "simcade" route and being too accessible and easy to play. Shift 2 Unleashed was an obfuscatingly wild and wobbly mess of a game, barely playable on default settings. PCARS may have its own faults, but I'm 99% sure it won't be the same experience.

My Thrustmaster TX died yesterday. Glad I waited 3 months for my TH8A shifter so I could use it once. Guess I'll be playing with a controller.

is it dead on the console or pc too?

I'd try reconnecting all cables, resetting console fully to reset the usb ports, make sure you're on the latest firmware.

good luck!

So, there's people that think Project Cars is going to be like Shift 2 despite all of the videos that prove otherwise.
Right...
facepalm-polarbear.jpg

Were you on the latest firmware?
Yeah, I updated when I got the shifter. I was having issues with the shifter when I reached out to Thrustmaster. It was when I was going through their tests that my wheel quit on me.

is it dead on the console or pc too?

I'd try reconnecting all cables, resetting console fully to reset the usb ports, make sure you're on the latest firmware.

good luck!
PC and console. Yep, tried all that and no luck. They have me reinstalling the firmware now. Fingers crossed...

Edit: No luck. Goodnight, sweet prince.

Last edited:
So, there's people that think Project Cars is going to be like Shift 2 despite all of the videos that prove otherwise.
Right...
facepalm-polarbear.jpg
They're probably also saying that because of pCARS's graphics as well. If a game's graphics doesn't look different than the last, it's automatically considered the same game as it and will probably play as bad as it. But the funny thing is, pCARS actually looks more polish than the Shift series (and mind you I've been watching dozens of videos of pCARS, and heard positive responds on its physics to be great), so I'm not sure why some people are saying "oh my gosh, pCARS is going to be just as bad as NFS Shift 1/2 because SMS is developing it."

Talk about being too lazy to search up on the game and flamebaiting it instead... :rolleyes"

They're probably also saying that because of pCARS's graphics as well. If a game's graphics doesn't look different than the last, it's automatically considered the same game as it and will probably play as bad as it. But the funny thing is, pCARS actually looks more polish than the Shift series (and mind you I've been watching dozens of videos of pCARS, and heard positive responds on its physics to be great), so I'm not sure why some people are saying "oh my gosh, pCARS is going to be just as bad as NFS Shift 1/2 because SMS is developing it."

Talk about being too lazy to search up on the game and flamebaiting it instead... :rolleyes"

And there is the infamous "a racing sim shouldn't look this good" concept as well.

No Livery
No Livery share or community creations

Well actually on PC there is a massive livery database in where you can download and use a "custom" livery (made by the community) or make one for yourself and use it in the game. (at WMD Forums of course) But you can't customize all liveries since they all or most of them were made by the community itself. (it was cool to choose which ones were going to be included in the game)

The game is not going to have a livery editor but you can make your own if you know how to, using Photoshop and similar programs.

But that is on PC, not sure if on PS4 or XBox One you can do the same by uploading a file. (probably not)

Hell, there are some critical WMD members out there who accuse Project CARS of following the "simcade" route and being too accessible and easy to play. Shift 2 Unleashed was an obfuscatingly wild and wobbly mess of a game, barely playable on default settings. PCARS may have its own faults, but I'm 99% sure it won't be the same experience.
I spent something like 15 hours on Shift 2 on PC. It was a horrible game to attempt to drive with a wheel and most of those 15 hours were sat in the menus trying to get my wheels settings somewhat drivable. Ultimately a failed attempt and i soon uninstalled.
I was very wary of SMS due to this and the early builds of pCars did little to convince me that pCars would go in the direction I wanted.
But that was years ago. It has gone in the direction I wanted and the physics and handling allow cars to be driven with a great experience for both wheel and pad users in the same way that a game like GT 6 does.
I can 100% guarantee that a lap of a track in pCars is nothing like a lap in the abomination that was Shift 2 Unleashed.

If people are still wary after all the content that has been posted already, then by all means wait until after release and the reviews/player experiences are in. There's no rush. 👍

Do yourself a favor and get informed. Tip: Internet can be a good source of research these days....

Yeah, I updated when I got the shifter. I was having issues with the shifter when I reached out to Thrustmaster. It was when I was going through their tests that my wheel quit on me.

PC and console. Yep, tried all that and no luck. They have me reinstalling the firmware now. Fingers crossed...

Edit: No luck. Goodnight, sweet prince.

My condolences.

May be a longshot but if you have another pc available maybe try reinstalling the drivers on that one. Dont connect your wheel to it until the installer asks you to.

I had to install the drivers and do the firmware upgrade on 3 pc's before my tx unbricked itself, after it went unresponsive. Just came back to life to my surprise.

Something went wrong with the 1st pc while updating firmware. Second pc was vista. In the end it worked on win7.

Back