Not open for further replies.

syntex123

Currently lurking!
Premium
Norway
Færder
syntex123
Syntex260Z

Just how nostalgic is it possible to get over a livery from a past iteration? We're about to find out. Photo by @syntex123 - (click for full-size)

This Fortnight's Theme
I allowed myself to borrow the setup from the Photo Mode competitions. This competition will be similar; albeit it will not be required to take an artistic photo. All you need to focus on, is making a perfect livery you could say yourself proud of. In this fortnight’s theme (Running from midnight CET / GMT +1 every other wednesday:

"The cars from Gran Turismo are instantly recognizable. From the Race Modded cars from GT1-2(and GT5) to the fictional racers of Gran Turismo Sport. Each car has its own unique feel, and we all have at least one favorite from a past iteration. Let's capture the essence of the past, and show your inner artist embracing these liveries remade in full HD / 4K glory in Gran Turismo Sport."

CARS: Any
LIVERIES: Classic Gran Turismo liveries. See this thread for inspiration.
LOCATIONS: Any
SCAPES: Yes
360° GIF: Optional
UNIQUE RESTRICTIONS: The livery has to come from a previous Gran Turismo. You're free to use other decals where the original is unclear.
Be sure to give credit to the decalmakers where possible. You are encouraged to make your own.

Competition Rules

Please, ensure you read and understand all requirements for this competition. Failure to follow the rules may result in disqualification. If you have questions, start a convo with me.
  • The only way you can take part is to be a member of the GTPlanet forums. If you haven't created your account yet, click here.
  • It is recommended you host your image either here on GTPlanet (via the Media section), or on Flickr.
  • Not sure how to submit your image? Here's a guide for both methods mentioned above.
  • Preview images should not exceed 640 pixels in either direction.
  • A preview image must be representative of the full-size image. Do not add effects to it.
  • Please use a clickable-preview to full-size, not a separate text link for it;
    it makes poll creation much easier!
  • Mark your FINAL ENTRY clearly, with red text.
  • Unsure how to? Copy and paste the following:
    Code:
    [COLOR=red][B]FINAL ENTRY[/B][/COLOR]
  • No post-game editing, besides proportional resizing and rotating, is allowed.
  • One entry per user. It must be your own work, and never previously used in a comp.
  • Do not ask other users to choose your entry.
  • Absolutely no entries which utilize edited/hacked file saves.
  • You may change your entry once. Do it clearly; edit out your previous entry, and
    either post the new one in a new reply, or in place of the original.
  • Do not post "Honourable Mentions" or outtakes - just your Final Entry, that's all.
  • Winner gets to choose the following Fortnight's theme.
  • Winners cannot enter in their own theme!
  • The Host may ask for the original image/livery and it must be submitted if so.
  • It's recommended to share the original livery online(in-game) to prove it’s your work.
  • Unique to this competition, you can also make a 360° GIF! It is not a requirement, but it is recommended.
    Go to giphy.com
    and upload your clip (In GT Sport go to My Library > Car Livery > Press your livery and then hit Preview. Record a full 360° spin and then speed up the recording to 15 seconds in a video editing program on your PC/Phone/Tablet. See example in spoiler at the bottom of the post how it should look.

First of all, download and install Blender. I used 2.78 for this tutorial but the current one at this time, 2.79a, shouldn't be any different.

Open Blender up and you should see a screen like this (minus all the recent files because you haven't used it yet)
    lh8JMRS.png

Currently, it's in its Default mode, for 3D modelling. We'll need to change it to the Video Editing mode.
    If you go up to the top where it says 'Default', click on the button outlined in red to choose the Screen layout...
    C9i4iSE.png

... and click on Video Editing...
    SsIOWSQ.png

... and you should now be greeted with something like this.
    XvXUZTe.png

First things first, go down to the bottom, where it says Add. Click on that and click on Movie.
    avmEeU6.png

Locate and select your recorded clip on your USB or wherever you've placed it. Click Add Movie Strip...
    OdcEdmv.png

... and you should now see, along the lower section of the screen called the Video Sequence Editor, two bars. The darkish blue coloured one is the video, the teal coloured on is the audio. Don't worry about the audio, we don't need to mess with it.

Press the Home button while your mouse cursor is in the Video Sequence Editor to see the whole sequence.

Next you'll need to change both of the values, outlined in red, to 450. The left value is the end limit of the number of frames your final video will have, and the right value is the cursor point (the green thing that says 15+00)
    72a9Hin.png

The reason why is because the 450th frame on this current project, running at roughly 30fps, would equate to 15 seconds.

Now to speed our clip up to fit those 15 seconds. Go into Add, the Effect Strip, then select Speed Control.
    AlbPSvh.png

Right-click on the pink Speed strip, then go over to the sidebar on the right. Scroll down until you see the tab named Effect Strip and Untick 'Stretch to input strip length'.
    Now for a bit of Maths, you'll see in the image below that my Speed factor is 1.200...
    XZdQcVX.png

This is worked out by dividing the total number of frames of your clip, found on the end of your bar label (540 in my case)...
    Jqa9QJO.png

by the total number of frames we need (450). 540 / 450 = 1.2 so I put 1.2.

Now the clip has been sped up, press Play on the bottom to check to see if your clip runs and loops properly in the top right. You might see a fps counter pop up and slow down as you play but don't worry about that.

Now to export the new clip, go to the top left screen part, click on the square box with an image inside and select Properties...
    SlDjmAI.png

... which will change that screen part to this.
    RC4JAfz.png

We need to set up the export options and encoding before we export. Scroll down until you see the Output tab and select MPEG, then the Encoding tab will pop up. Open the Encoding tab and make sure you have the Format as MPEG-4, the Codec as H.264 and the Audio as AAC.
    TOdl2DM.png

Right, scroll back up to the top and hit the Animation button, under Render...
    tZ8Lcpb.png

... and you should now see Blender playing through your video and rendering it.
    mRiucWd.png

Once it is done, open File Explorer, go into your C:\ drive and open up the 'tmp' folder, there you should see your new video. It'll probably be named '001-450.mp4' or something.
    Drag that video into GIPHY, set the duration to 15 seconds and click through the rest and there you go.
    Deadline

March 28, 2018​

FINAL ENTRY

giphy.gif

Fortnight = 14 days. Not the game.

Last edited:
Interesting. I’ll just go ahead and watch this thread

Last edited:
Can we use liveries which where previously posted on the Classic GT thread ?
Also can the livery be applied to any car or does it have to be the same/best match?

Can we use liveries which where previously posted on the Classic GT thread ?
I’ll allow it.

For the future though, best if all liveries entered are not shared within GT Sport until the competition ends, so you won’t get affected by the likes you get (or lack of ;)) when selecting a livery to enter.

Also can the livery be applied to any car or does it have to be the same/best match?
I would say best match. But who knows what the best match is? Only you do. Like the Nomad Diablo, best match is the Diablo, but since the Huracan comes in Gr.3 some might say it is the best match.

Just don’t stray too far from the trail is all I’m saying :)

I might give this a go.. no chance of winning given the designs I'm likely to choose :lol:

Think the most time consuming bit might be the 360° GIF... I've only had my PS4 a few months and I've not successfully captured any video on yet... just random stuff I appear to have captured accidentally!

Why old gt liveries? It seem a bit boring for me, I would like to see something new, and a livery comp where people are able to create, not just copy old stuff.
I also don't understand who judge the liveries (judging require a huge experience about making liveries)

Why old gt liveries? It seem a bit boring for me, I would like to see something new, and a livery comp where people are able to create, not just copy old stuff.
I also don't understand who judge the liveries (judging require a huge experience about making liveries)

I think its because its the first time for a livery competition? I'll bet that will be plenty other subjects.
In the photo comp contestants vote on eachothers livery I think?

Edit... Already found one !! Now time to hunt down some decent reference pictures

Seems like fun though! But ehm, GT Sport being my first Gran Turismo game, is there a website / post somewhere with all cars in previous games so I could take a peak and / or selecting one?

I might give this a go.. no chance of winning given the designs I'm likely to choose :lol:

Think the most time consuming bit might be the 360° GIF... I've only had my PS4 a few months and I've not successfully captured any video on yet... just random stuff I appear to have captured accidentally!

Sounds formilliar :lol::lol:, seems that I can make groups / invite people etc whilst not having a clue how I did it
Learning a new thingy with the gif making sounds cool to learn, will benefit the showcasing in the livery threads also.

speed up the recording to 15 seconds in a video editing program on your PC.
Anny hints on a freebee /small programme wich is IT dumbass proof (reed me proof)?

Last edited:
I think its because its the first time for a livery competition? I'll bet that will be plenty other subjects.
In the photo comp contestants vote on eachothers livery I think?

Seems like fun though! But ehm, GT Sport being my first Gran Turismo game, is there a website / post somewhere with all cars in previous games so I could take a peak and / or selecting one?

Sounds formilliar :lol::lol:, seems that I can make groups / invite people etc whilst not having a clue how I did it
Learning a new thingy with the gif making sounds cool to learn, will benefit the showcasing in the livery threads also.

Anny hints on a freebee /small programme wich is IT dumbass proof (reed me proof)?
If I understand (my english is so bad xD) we have to reply old gt liveries, so there's a very tiny space for personal touch, so at the end will win the livery that people like more, not the person who make a better work around the subject.
I remember forza idol comp, we had a championship and a sponsor to work around, here I don't see a subject, we just have to reply a thing that already exist (correct me if i'm wrong). Btw, I hope to win some round in the future for show you my personal idea of competition subject!

If I understand (my english is so bad xD) we have to reply old gt liveries, so there's a very tiny space for personal touch, so at the end will win the livery that people like more, not the person who make a better work around the subject.
I remember forza idol comp, we had a championship and a sponsor to work around, here I don't see a subject, we just have to reply a thing that already exist (correct me if i'm wrong). Btw, I hope to win some round in the future for show you my personal idea of competition subject!

I understand you completely, you ment the english word replicate instead of reply. For this week just see it as a replica racecar to do?

Replicas while, I agree, comparatively boring, do show some technical expertise and in this case some creativity due to the fact that there are fewer cars to choose from and many don't match up in one way or another. This should be a decent "base" for us to grow from. As far as judging, take a look at how the Photomode comps are run. I imagine it will be much like that.

Try mygranturismo.net for a start. There is a visual database of GT5/6 cars. I also did a Google search of "Gran Turismo original cars" and found a few images to work off. Harder to find some of the ones from early GTs but since 5 and 6 have most of them anyway.... :)

Anyhow, looking forward to what you all come up with. I will be trying my hand at something tonight. Gonna see if the built-in tools on the PS4 will do the video thing as well and report back.

It’s easy, just press and hold the share button. Then copy the clip to a usb stick and crop it to a full 360° and then speed it up so it is 15 seconds long :) (a full in-game 360° takes 31-ish seconds, too slow)

Because I chose it as a starting point for this competition. The winner chooses theme so next week might be ‘the best GTPlanet livery’ for all I know ;)

We all are judges. I follow the photo mode competition, so when this week’s competition ends, a poll will be in its place where you can vote. The one with the most votes wins.

Windows Movie Maker for Windows and iMovie for MacOS. ;)

I'll definitely join in, provided I manage to do the 360 gif. I'm quite bad at those things xD
It’s easy. Just upload the 15s clip to any gif site(I used giphy and explained it in the OP) and get the link to said gif and paste it here like you normally would paste a picture :)

If you win then you select the theme. This weeks theme is old GT liveries as you put it. This will change in future competitions, just like the photo mode competitions.

If anyone still is unsure how this competition works, just familiarize yourselves with the photo mode competition. This one follows the exact same formula. :)

It's the theme of this competition. After the deadline a poll will be started to determine the winner. The winner then chooses the topic of the next competition. It's the same as the PMCs.

Kudosprime has a database of GT5 and GT6 cars, also you can check the Internet Videogame Car Database (or something like that) ;)

Anyway:

Final Entry

giphy.gif

Download

Instructions: Record the rotation, then upload the Clip into ShareFactory and cut it to have the perfect cycle. Then load it into Movie Maker, speed it up by 2.5 and save it. Next step is to upload it to giphy and make a gif out of it.
But maybe somebody can point out how long the clip of a complete rotation has to be before speeding it up, that'd make things a lot easier.

EDIT: I spent 1.5 hours trying to get this gif right and apparently it‘s still not working 🤬 It‘s legit hard to get a perfect loop. If anybody can tell me the exact seconds how long a full rotation takes I‘d appreaciate it a lot :bowdown:

Last edited:
I made this one months ago with the PS4 tools.

Just turn it around in the preview livery editor and record it on the PS4.

And a you tube account ofcourse.

More like this actually:

Instructions: Record the rotation, then upload the Clip into ShareFactory and cut it to have the perfect cycle. Then load it into Movie Maker, speed it up by 2.5 and sav it. Next step is to upload it to giphy and make a gif out of it.
But maybe somebody can point out howlLong the clip of a complete rotation has to be before speeding it up, that'd make things a lot easier.

Nice one!

And well explained :) a full rotation is ~36 seconds, give or take a few milliseconds.

If the spin is off slightly, don't worry. Mine was off with a few milliseconds as well. Where the rotation starts at the beginning isn't something anyone would notice unless the start / stop ends at two different places. Being close to where it starts / stops is good enough. :)

Last edited:
And well explained :) a full rotation is ~36 seconds, give or take a few milliseconds.

If the spin is off slightly, don't worry. Mine was off with a few milliseconds as well. Where the rotation starts at the beginning isn't something anyone would notice unless the start / stop ends at two different places. Being close to where it starts / stops is good enough. :)
My OCD is triggered if a gif doesn‘t have a perfect loop :lol:

My OCD is triggered if a gif doesn‘t have a perfect loop :lol:
Haha I feel you! I could’ve gotten one, but I had low fps where I selected my start/stop point, so I was off by like ONE frame. :lol:

Personally I think the idea of a weekly livery competition is a great idea but I don't agree with the format as it stands.

I know this is the first one, but for those of us with lives outside of gaming (recently I've been lucky if I can get on the PS4 for a total of 2-3 hours a week) a week is too short for the amount of work a fully detailed replica livery requires. Sure you can chuck a few decals on a car in a rough approximation of the original, but where's the challenge in that? A replica needs at least two weeks to a month to produce accurate results especially if custom decals are required.

The other big issue is that a theme this open is that it won't necessarily reward quality. You post up a mediocre Martini livery on a Porsche vs. an obscure, yet 100% accurate livery on a Nissan GT-R and chances are the Porsche will win as that's a more popular car with a more universally popular sponsor.

If it were up to me, this is route I'd have gone down...

For a fair competition I think you need to limit both the car, and title sponsor(s) (in some cases even tyre and oil suppliers) and treat it like a real-world livery design job from a team. This way, people can judge the finished results based on the design itself instead of being swayed by a particular car or sponsor.

This will reward people's creativity rather than focusing (or not, as in my example above) on who’s better at creating custom decals and using the camera alignment tool (of course those skills will still come in handy and may produce better results on certain trickier cars). It also allows for people to throw together a quick idea and potentially provide more entrants which is healthy for the competition.

Each week the theme would be something along the lines of this:

"This week, GT Planet Racing want you to design a livery for their new Gr.3 entrant. For the 2018 season they have secured title sponsorship from Brembo Brakes. GT Planet Racing have left the base colour of the car open, but request that you incorporate their corporate colours (Red, Blue & Black) into the design"

Car - BMW M6 GT3
Title Sponsor(s) - Brembo Brakes
Tyre Supplier - Michelin
Oil Supplier - Mobil1
Base Colour - No Limit
Corporate Colour(s) - Red/Blue/Black

The winner then suggests the options for the next week using the same template.

I think this will provide a fun and quick challenge each week as even something thrown together in a couple of hours has a chance of winning if it’s a good enough idea.

For the more experienced livery guys, those looking for more of a challenge I'd suggest running a monthly comp (In addition to the weekly one), with more specific themes that could be agreed upon by the community in a separate poll such as:

- Replica of a particular car
- Old vs. New (Create two complimenting liveries using one old car and one current car - Ferrari 512 and 458 for example)
- Livery based on a random household item
- Livery based on a TV show
Etc

As you can tell, I've put a bit of thought into this and would be happy to help anyone with the setup/running of a comp, and I hope I’m not treading on anyone’s toes by suggesting this, just sharing what’s been in my head for a while now.

Also as a quick side point - whilst the 3D GIFs look cool, they're a bit of a faff and may put people off entering if they're not computer savvy or lack the access (I know of at least one member on here who's great at liveries but doesn't have access to a computer and I suspect more and more people view GTP via tablets and phones) so something to bar ein mind if you want to appeal to more entrants.

Last edited:
If we're doing comments and criticisms of the format...

... The biggest issue I have is one of decal credit. Slapping someone else's great decal work on an otherwise easy to create or unimaginative livery might yield someone a lot of votes... but at the same time, not everyone can produce their own and it wouldn't be cool to exclude them. I think some consideration should be given to addressing this.

FWIW, I've already knocked up an entry because I'm happy to join in for a bit of fun and pad out the entry's - though I've already spent more time on trying to do the 360° Gif than I did on my decals! I don't have windows movie maker, and I'm not sure if I can reinstall my old perfectly legitimate copy of Adobe Premiere. I'm tempted to suggest that doing a manual sweep around the car in the livery editor, to last no longer than 15 seconds, might be an easier option - that way it's much easier to go from PS4 to Giphy without that extra step in between..

My gut feeling is maybe the scoring system needs to be something more than a simple poll, perhaps this would allow people to give points for different aspects of livery creation. Creating a good replica is not at all like create a great original livery --- or perhaps I'm just overthinking it.

Like I say, I don't wish to criticise, happy for it to be just a bit of fun.

If we're doing comments and criticisms of the format...

... The biggest issue I have is one of decal credit. Slapping someone else's great decal work on an otherwise easy to create or unimaginative livery might yield someone a lot of votes... but at the same time, not everyone can produce their own and it wouldn't be cool to exclude them. I think some consideration should be given to addressing this.

FWIW, I've already knocked up an entry because I'm happy to join in for a bit of fun and pad out the entry's - though I've already spent more time on trying to do the 360° Gif than I did on my decals! I don't have windows movie maker, and I'm not sure if I can reinstall my old perfectly legitimate copy of Adobe Premiere. I'm tempted to suggest that doing a manual sweep around the car in the livery editor, to last no longer than 15 seconds, might be an easier option - that way it's much easier to go from PS4 to Giphy without that extra step in between..

My gut feeling is maybe the scoring system needs to be something more than a simple poll, perhaps this would allow people to give points for different aspects of livery creation. Creating a good replica is not at all like create a great original livery --- or perhaps I'm just overthinking it.

Like I say, I don't wish to criticise, happy for it to be just a bit of fun.

The decal creditting is a good point to raise. A great example would be something like the Calsonic R32, an 'easy' livery to replicate and most of the decals have been uploaded so you could create the livery without doing any of the donkey work involved in creating the decals required, yet take the glory for submitting the finished livery. You could argue that custom decals should be banned from competition, but that would severly limit people's options for certain themes.

This was partly why I suggested the idea of a fixed sponsor, either these could be chosen from the in-game list or specifically uploaded by the person running the comp for all to use. That way everyone is in the same boat with the main design element. For example if everyone used the same Martini logo then there's less chance of somone getting downvoted because they've made their own using the wrong font which looks rubbish compared to the other submissions.

Scoring is a good idea but hard to execute. Yes it'd be nice to give someone extra points for not having skewed decals and proper placement, but in reality, not everyone cares enough to notice (you only have to look at the shoddy liveries that make the trending and most popular tabs) and without a complicated scoring system (and someone to tally up the numbers) it will just turn people off if they actually have to 'do something' when a simple one click option via a poll will decide a winner quickly.

The other option is a judging panel who's votes count towards the total score. Each livery is judged and ranked and then that's combined with the rank from the public vote. So you could have a poor judges score, but still win if you dominate the public vote and vice versa.

I think a week is enought, with svg is very easy to make liveries, if you need one mounth with svg you need a year if you play games like forzamotorsport. :DI agree with the rest of the message essage of Blitz

Last edited:
Format tweaks aside, here is my hat into the ring. :) Working on getting the GIF done and will edit it in when I can get it later tonight and fix up image sizes.

Final Entry
Chevrolet Camaro LM - Corvette Gr.4

Download links:
Black
Blue
Green
Red
All 4 are the same car with different paint, of course. None of the decals are mine, but credits as follows:

6 - okasan_joestar07
5 - okasan_joestar07
BBS - colgateam
Bosch - blackbeauty-79
Chevrolet Bow Tie - LorD-ProtectoR99 @Lord Protector
Chevrolet Text - muteXG
Goodyear - GTS default set
GT Logo - GTS default Set
Polyphony Digital - nippi_2121
Shell Logo - Zeppy_ZEP @zeptrans
Shell Text - Zeppy_ZEP @zeptrans
US Flag - Matski @MatskiMonk

EDIT: And of course I've now found something I missed....Hood numbers added. :dunce:

chevrolet_camaro_lm_race_car_by_gt6_garage-d7e1e9s.jpg
67322_953720027976410_9123922120067519671_n.jpg

p06.jpg

car_1053_46737_555f2bd2bccbf.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back