The impact penalty: good or bad?

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuntoucherUK
  • 257 comments
  • 12,167 views
TheCracker
YOU pity ME! - what, you pity my more user friendly, virus free operating system?

I believe that's proportional to the fact it's remarkably "Application Free" too ;)

You can't download 165MB over a 2 meg link, diddums, there are dial up users here who braved it.
 
Eagle
I believe that's proportional to the fact it's remarkably "Application Free" too ;)

As a Graphic Designer - its got all the applications i'd ever need thanks!

Eagle
You can't download 165MB over a 2 meg link, diddums, there are dial up users here who braved it.

I can't be bothered just to see a little bit of 'shake'




Eagle - go get some sleep - you're a little cranky
 
You're obviously not a True GT Player!!!!!!

C.
 
Polyphony001
165MB, sweet jesus, how long is it??

as long as your arm baby! oops wrong thread :D

No seriously, impact damage will never be fully implemented in GT...come on its not demolition derby, if you win a race, u probably didn't crash!

The idea of a 2D display of damage is ok, I guess if u have steering damage u'd have to pit to get it fixed. But if it's a short race, and u are pitting early, then game over...

I'd be happy, if in Gran Turismo mode, a big collision with the barrier would end the race 4 me, with nill points.

TheCracker
YOU pity ME! - what, you pity my more user friendly, virus free operating system???

only coz no one can b bothered writing any viruses, as there are so few users :sly:

Edit: PS. England Croatia 4-2 come on!... 👍
 
As a Graphic Designer - its got all the applications i'd ever need thanks!

My D.T teacher was saying how graphic designers, printers (companies) use Macs. Are they really that much better for graphics and such than Windows OS'?
 
Tacet_Blue
I'd be happy, if in Gran Turismo mode, a big collision with the barrier would end the race 4 me, with nill points.
!... 👍

Hear hear!!
 
Tacet_Blue
The idea of a 2D display of damage is ok, I guess if u have steering damage u'd have to pit to get it fixed. But if it's a short race, and u are pitting early, then game over...
that's the point... if you're crashing all over the place you shouldn't win the race... of course if the AI is half decent and there are proper restrictions on what cars you can enter in the race, you shouldn't win even without the damage.


Tacet_Blue
I'd be happy, if in Gran Turismo mode, a big collision with the barrier would end the race 4 me, with nill points.
would only suck if you were on say lap 58 of a 60 lap enduro... make one false move... boom hour and a half down the perverbial drain 👎
 
ExigeExcel
My D.T teacher was saying how graphic designers, printers (companies) use Macs. Are they really that much better for graphics and such than Windows OS'?

yeah...way better with graphics and audio. I'm seriously into recording digital audio with cubase VST and am quite jealous of the Mac's stability. Its the same 4 graphics workstations. I know a few graphic designers (most have pony tails) and they all use Mac's! They swear by the reliability.

PS 4-2...Portugal on Thursday! :)
 
phantasm
would only suck if you were on say lap 58 of a 60 lap enduro... make one false move... boom hour and a half down the perverbial drain 👎

That would suck, but I hate those enduro races! In GT3, I did the sellotape thing with the Escudo Piques, u know, come back half hour later, and she's still going good. Other times I had to leave the PS2 in pause mode for 24hours! (Hope it didn't damage it)

phantasm
if the AI is half decent and there are proper restrictions on what cars you can enter in the race, you shouldn't win even without the damage.

...well, a fast time is about track knowledge, as well as skill, and besides, I'm 3/4 decent, so I should win!

Did u see "Shakey" Bird win at "Thruxton" against the World Superbike guys coz the track was in his back yard...Track Knowledge
 
No wonder Skunks retiring from producing hs fantastic content, if people on a 2mb connection cant be bothered to download and appreciate it.
 
Tacet_Blue

Did u see "Shakey" Bird win at "Thruxton" against the World Superbike guys coz the track was in his back yard...Track Knowledge

I think you meant "Shakey"Byrne. ;) :)

If the AI was any good, there wouldn't be such a need for the penalty system.




Just watching the highlights. :) Rooney, Rooney, Rooney..... :bowdown:

Can't wait for Thursday.
 
redhed17
I think you meant "Shakey"Byrne. ;) :)

Can't wait for Thursday.

It may have been Snetterton as well :dopey: but my point is still valid 👍

(The Roonster dun good!)
 
TheCracker
As a Graphic Designer - its got all the applications i'd ever need thanks!

Saw that coming, can't argue, can post a video to the contrary if I can find a link.

TheCracker
Eagle - go get some sleep - you're a little cranky

Bad solution, I hate mornings.
 
Yeah Macs are better, because despite how much hardware you put in a computer, windows can only work with so much (e.g. only 32-bit processors, only 2GB RAM)

Macs have their hardware designed around their software so you can have four processors and 8GB of RAM if you wish. Graphical rendering needs insane system requirements, and more importantly, no crashes.
 
Eagle
Saw that coming, can't argue, can post a video to the contrary if I can find a link.

Post a video of better PC graphic design applications?!?!?!?!?

...don't tell me, Skunkworks has released a 238mb .wmv of Microsoft 'Publisher'* in action?


*surely the worst possible name for this 'crapplication'
 
Yeah that sounds pretty stupid to me.

I think we can settle this debate about the impact penalty by the fact that macs and windows pcs have different purposes. Windows for games and stuff and Macs for graphics and such.

As for the real impact penalty, as i'm sure i have said a hundred times before, keep it but moderate it proportionally

[END OF BOTH ARGUMENTS]
 
Hey MAC heads... FYI the best graphics machines aren't MACs... or PCs for that matter... Silicon Graphics boxes are tops... and they run on Unix... so chill out.

As for the penalty... keep it. You crash into a wall you should lose the race... what will you have learned... don't crash into the wall, use your brakes, that's what they're there for ;)
 
phantasm
Hey MAC heads... FYI the best graphics machines aren't MACs... or PCs for that matter... Silicon Graphics boxes are tops... and they run on Unix... so chill out.

No G5's are better - and they run on an OS based on Unix - but stabler
 
Hey hey let's go BSD!

I haven't seen a Mac cluster running at anything like the pace you get out of SGI ones, they seem to be the platform of choice for rendering, Macs are undoubtedly great for most video, audio and visual editing, but they're not the best.

The video in question is actually a 3 minute compilation of the pros of using Macs for video editing.
 
I have a question.. If you brush against the wall, will u get a penalty?
 
Depends on which wall and which part of the car...

I clipped the inside of the last bend on New York with the middle of my car and got a 10 second pen...

However I went on to slide the rear end of my car into the wall on the exit of the first hairpin a lot harder and didn't get a pen...

C.
 
Tacet_Blue
It may have been Snetterton as well :dopey: but my point is still valid 👍

(The Roonster dun good!)

I believe it was Brands Hatch any how to original question I hate this 10 sec thing totally unrealistic :grumpy: .
 
The 10 second penalty maybe unrealistic, but then so is bouncing off a wall or competitor at 180mph without any kind of reprimand! I know the penalty is heavy-handed but i think they needed to apply some penalty especially when playing online
 
Well I suppose without damage its all they can do but its bloody frustrating though particuly on street tracks like New York depending on who your racing against of course and the sensitivity of it. In GT4P arcade mode it seems to be as so:- Easy AI=rubbish penalty sensitivity low, Hard AI=rubbish penalty sensitivity higher, Profesional AI=rubbish again :grumpy: penalty sensitivity higher still. GT4Ps a glorified demo I know but I hope its improved before GT4 proper and the difficulty curve does not rely on the penalty system so much.
 
That would just be his name, or the lead letter thereof I believe. Like if I ended all my posts with "E." say.
 
I say keep this penalty crap as an option for the people playin on single player or 2p, but online it's on to keep it fair. But I really don't wanna get screwed over by some poop AI driver who mashed me into the wall, and now I lost the race cuz of an unfair system.

Oh and as for my .02 on the MAC issue...
http://members.cox.net/clyqz/macs.html

Says the truth! I have a Mac running OSX and I honestly preffer my PC. And Macs don't crash ,thats right, they just lock up and are far from user friendly. My PC runs games way better, and it was wayyy cheaper. And WIN XP is soo much easir to use. The Mac has a lower gfx card yes, but still, they all blow for gaming. And still they are what we call unaffordable for most people. Take the G5 with 8gb ram and Radeon 9800 Pro 256 etc... loaded, it can't out perform a pc with
Athlon 64 FX-3
1 gb DDR433 ram
GeForce 6800 Ultra
Only thing the G5 is gunna be good at is multimedia editing, compared to the PC atleast. But I will get some hands-on-time with one soon, my school is getting 15 of em! On a grant from some rich dude in Hartford....lol :sly: I mean, maby if the Macs could run half of the software that a pc could or could even get a decent conversion or have decent performance in more than just video editing etc and could be affordable, maby then, maby with an easy to use and understand OS, Macs could be dead even with high end PCs.
 
Ford 429 Hemi
I say keep this penalty crap as an option for the people playin on single player or 2p, but online it's on to keep it fair. But I really don't wanna get screwed over by some poop AI driver who mashed me into the wall, and now I lost the race cuz of an unfair system.

Oh and as for my .02 on the MAC issue...
http://members.cox.net/clyqz/macs.html

Says the truth! I have a Mac running OSX and I honestly preffer my PC. And Macs don't crash ,thats right, they just lock up and are far from user friendly. My PC runs games way better, and it was wayyy cheaper. And WIN XP is soo much easir to use. The Mac has a lower gfx card yes, but still, they all blow for gaming. And still they are what we call unaffordable for most people. Take the G5 with 8gb ram and Radeon 9800 Pro 256 etc... loaded, it can't out perform a pc with
Athlon 64 FX-3
1 gb DDR433 ram
GeForce 6800 Ultra
Only thing the G5 is gunna be good at is multimedia editing, compared to the PC atleast. But I will get some hands-on-time with one soon, my school is getting 15 of em! On a grant from some rich dude in Hartford....lol :sly: I mean, maby if the Macs could run half of the software that a pc could or could even get a decent conversion or have decent performance in more than just video editing etc and could be affordable, maby then, maby with an easy to use and understand OS, Macs could be dead even with high end PCs.

yeah okay can we take that somewhere else please?
 
Very little can beat a GeForce 6800 Ultra at the moment...

Whether this system is 'unfair' will all revolve around it's final execution, but really, if you lose a race, well too bad. You got hit by an AI car? Too bad, it happens.
 
Back