The Le Mans General Discussion Thread

Does anyone know what the performance cap regs will be next year? You suggested Nissan won't be affected by this yet the other manufacturers will, at least that's how I interpreted it. I know the ACO is planning on reducing LMP1 performance, but does anyone know the specifics at this point?
It's between over-body aero and fuel flow limiting, both to reduce cornering speed. The Nissan struggles solely with entry balance and traction (this year at least) - so if any FF traits of ill handling somehow make it through to the 4WD setup, the are they'll struggle in the most will become negligible for them.

Its nit known yet but the 3 older manfuctors want to have a higher base weight of the cars. As the dont want to change the cars to much. But does not mean the aco can come up with something else like. Low aero etc.

But the last time it was always the wishes of the manofactors.

Hope Toyota continues to use a proper V8. At least one car needs to remain a proper sounding race car...

And whats exactly wrong with the V4 in the Porsche? I'm not even bringing up Audi and Nissan for obvious reasons

I was in spa an the toyota is the only lmp1 that sounds nearly as good as any of the lmp2 or gte cars. Porsche is okay. Audi you barely hear with all the gte noise

hsv
*Jumps from 12 seconds in the original post to 20*

Still waiting for that quote to verify this.

hsv
you would've known that LMP1 cars are getting capped considerably for 2016, so we will never see such low times again.

Stop. Seriously. Your posts are getting more ludicrous by the minute.

Nissan is an LMP1 car. How do the as yet unknown 2016 regs have less influence on Nissan than everyone else? Is that a ludicrous question to ask?

hsv
Your original posts laced with more blind guesses, twisted words and inconsistencies? Gotcha.

Such as .......? Can you expand on this? I would very much like to know of any inconsistencies in my original posts.

hsv
Entertaining for us, but for some reason I don't think you'll pay much attention to what he has to say...

I'll address that, again, in a moment.

hsv
This "reputation" needs shedding some light on then, because you clearly know something about his deceitful nature everyone else doesn't, a bit like how you know more than the engineers, designers and team personnel. It's pretty clear you're simply out to get the car, the team, the project no matter what, and you'll post whatever you can to try and satisfy that.

This translates to "You can say whatever you like about the car, no matter how truthful it is, no matter who says it, but my opinion will always be the same and I have no intentions of changing it." It's quite clear now you aren't here to discuss or listen, just keep posting the same flawed theories.

How dare he speak the truth! Posting reasoned, factually correct information is too much for you?

Here's an analysis from Autsport+

Porsche's speed on the straights is key to its single-lap supremacy. The fastest 919 Hybrid in qualifying in sector two, which runs from the start to the finish of the Mulsanne straight, was 1.939s faster than the best non-Porsche, the Audi R18 e-tron quattro, in the 75-second sector.

Sector 2 - Mulsanne straight
1 Porsche, 1m15.485s
2 Audi, +1.939s
3 Toyota, +2.133s
4 Rebellion, +4,154s
5 Nissan, +6.202s
6 CLM, +7.798s

But this section of track is also a fine example of why top speed doesn't tell the whole story, for while the Porsche was dominant on the Mulsanne it wasn't the fastest in the speed traps.

In fact, not only was the Audi fastest, but the privateer Rebellion R-One was also quicker than the 919.

Speed trap
1 Audi, 212.1mph
2 Rebellion, 210.7mph
3 Porsche, 210.1mph
4 Nissan, 209.4mph
5 Toyota, 208.8mph
6 CLM, 199.460mph

It's not difficult to square these two factors. By definition, top speed is not representative of a car's pace throughout the whole straight and the siting of the speed trap in what has become a lift-and-coast zone in the new era of LMP1 yields inconclusive results.

What is more important is how quickly you are going at any given point on the straights.

I consider this factual information. Here's what Cox has publicly said.

"What did they qualify at last year, a 3m37s? We will be way ahead of that," he told AUTOSPORT.

What was Nissan's qualifying time?

"We will not be going out for a laptime in qualifying because we haven't got the tyres and we haven't got the time," he explained.

Cox revealed that Nissan had not developed a qualifying tyre together with supplier Michelin as a result of the delays in the GT-R LM programme.

"We think we have got a good first-year set of tyres that are matched to our car," he said.

"We don't have a set of tyres that will last two laps and are worth two seconds; we have a four-stint set."

Qualifying tire? This is what I referring to when I said he has a reputation for bending the truth. No other manufacturer has a special set of tires just for qualifying. So why is Cox suggesting Nissan's one lap pace is being hindered because they didn't develop a qualifying tire. Perhaps I need more clarification on what he meant.

Cox asked for judgement to be passed on the Nissan a few hours into the blue-riband round of the World Endurance Championship on June 13/14.

"Judge us on the end of the first driver stint," he said.

And that's what I'll do ;).

Here is Autosport's analysis of Nissan. Not mine, a motorsports news website.

The Nissan GT-R LM NISMO isn't much faster than an LMP2 car, at least for the moment. The significance of that is the promise made by Nissan global motorsport boss Darren Cox.

He was vocal in his dismissal of the suggestion that the radical front-engined LMP1 wouldn't outperform the secondary prototypes when the GT-R LM project appeared to be going off the rails in the spring.

He promised the car would be "significantly faster", and reiterated that vow when the car fell short of the best of P2s at the Le Mans test earlier this month.

Harry Tincknell's best for Nissan - a 3m36.995s - was only a second or so clear of the pole-winning KCMG ORECA 05. Yet Nissan was still trying to take the positives from practice and qualifying, Cox pointing out that the car was "improving every time out".

That improvement, reckons Cox, will allow the Nissan to fulfill his promise. Only he says it's now going to happen some time in the race.

That is when he asked us to pass judgement on the car before. So let's wait until Sunday.

Also another forum on f1technical.net posted speed figures for the cars in the Porsche curves on the test day, if my memory is correct. I won't post those numbers as of yet because I want to see if I can find that data for qualifying because it's probably more representative of the car's actual pace.

hsv
That'll be next Le Mans right, when they said they'd be going for the win, and they'll actually have a hybrid LMP1 car, not essentially a handicapped P1-L car?

...Of course not! What will Sunday prove? Nobody's ever said that their first Le Mans was anything other than a test session. I think you're fully aware by now that the Nissan is nothing like it will be next year, so all I can presume is you're trolling.

So pass judgement after the first driver stint, or next year? Cox said wait until the first driver stint and you're saying next year. Why can't we pass judgement at both times?

hsv
Lastly...

Because it's hard to see people blindly hate on something of yours with no reasoning or basis, right? He understands there are skeptics, but at least listen to all the facts you're presented with, and don't be selective about the information you use. If you only see what you want to see, you may as well not be quoting anything at all.

Unless you actually acknowledge and address what has been said, and take it into account, then I'm done too. There's only so much that can be said before you've deliberately ignored everything - if you have no intention of changing your mind, it's a lot easier to just say it.

Welcome to the business world. People have opinions and they express them. I've acknowledged what everyone has said, but I won't believe it until those promises are delivered on. Proof is much, much more valuable than excuses. I agree it's hard to witness when you are invested heavily in something. It's obviously not been a productive effort to try to change anyone's mind so far. Try figuring out the last time you have been able to change someone's mind by just "telling them how it is." Just go DO whatever you need to prove me wrong. Actions speak louder than words.

Why are you trying so hard to change my mind? I've already said I'll change my opinion when I see factual evidence proving the car can be competitive. What would you think of anyone who can so easily influenced?

Still waiting for that quote to verify this.
You ask, you get:
If the AWD system ever becomes reality, it needs to be worth more than 12 seconds
Nissan is an LMP1 car. How do the as yet unknown 2016 regs have less influence on Nissan than everyone else? Is that a ludicrous question to ask?
I explained that as clearly as possible before, so yet again, someone wasn't paying attention:
hsv
It's between over-body aero and fuel flow limiting, both to reduce cornering speed. The Nissan struggles solely with entry balance and traction (this year at least) - so if any FF traits of ill handling somehow make it through to the 4WD setup, the are they'll struggle in the most will become negligible for them.
Such as .......? Can you expand on this? I would very much like to know of any inconsistencies in my original posts.
Everything that got quoted and picked apart by @R1600Turbo.
What was Nissan's qualifying time?
Can you date the quote please? As I've said in other places, Nissan only pulled the plug on the hybrid at the start of this week. If they had they extra 600bhp from their 2MJ, no matter what wheels it drove, then that would've made a considerable difference.
And that's what I'll do ;).
I don't know about you, but I'm judging it for what it is - a FWD, ballasted setup nightmare with the same power as an LMP2 - not what it's designed to be next year.
Here is Autosport's analysis of Nissan. Not mine, a motorsports news website.
Apart from Autosport's own reputation for iffy facts, they have done the same thing as you, quoting Darren from when they were planning to run with a hybrid system.
So pass judgement after the first driver stint, or next year? Cox said wait until the first driver stint and you're saying next year. Why can't we pass judgement at both times?
For the reasons I've posted twice above here.
but I won't believe it until those promises are delivered on.
Which will be 2016, and always has been 2016. But you seem quite intent on taking absolutely everything from their current performance.
Just go DO whatever you need to prove me wrong. Actions speak louder than words.
Well they'll do that in 2016, as they said. Simple.
Why are you trying so hard to change my mind?
Because you've been twisting quotes, looking into your crystal ball of future certainty and claiming with utmost certainty that the car will never work.

I don't want to keep going round in circles like this and clogging the thread, so that's the end from me.

Maybe the Nissan squabble should go to pm's or the Nissan thread, if there is one? The biggest problem is braking and slow turns. That can be solved with better understanding of the tires and setup. Braking will get better once the hybrid is working fully. My brother has the wec app and watched onboards of the Nissan. He said they coast maybe 100M before the other lmp1's. Into arnage theyre coasting halfway through the short straight.

@hsv My original posts and the Nissan employee's replies:

Is the Nissan an exciting and maybe promising concept? Sure. But it has to be able to deliver. If the goal this year was just to be able to provide a proof of concept, it has fallen well short of expectations.

I would guess this project will receive a green light again for 2016. But if it remains 25s a lap slower other LMP1s (not mentioning slower than many LMP2s), expect Nissan to drop it. And if I were personally on the board of Nissan, I would not even allow next year's car to race at all if it doesn't send most of its power to the rear wheels. At some point you have to be able to deliver on the hype otherwise you risk embarrassment.

Because some people are simply impatient. Sometimes it take a while to see any sort of success in racing. Toyota has been doing this for how long? 5 years? And it took them 2-3 seasons just to be competitive. Nissan hasn't even competed in a single event yet and already people are expecting them to win right out of the box. A little lop sided, no?

Alright, well I don't really follow this type of racing outside the big races like Le Mans, but the point still stands that they were probably not much more competitive than Nissan is right now in their first year.

Edit: That goes for Porsche too.

So how did Toyota and Porsche do in their first years? He didn't even know yet posted it anyway, and somehow he's a credible source of information despite being completely wrong. And how many times has he responded to posts mentioning the poor performance of the Nissan, not just me? I'll count and then come back and edit this. Trolling eh?

And my full post that you quoted and conveniently left out some important bits:

Also Bowlby himself once said that a functioning 8 MJ hybrid is worth about 8 seconds a lap. If the AWD system ever becomes reality, it needs to be worth more than 12 seconds to make up the difference. Perhaps someone who pays more attention than everyone else can explain how the car will get faster. Hopes and dreams?

8 + 12 is 20 right? Editing info to support your argument = politics. Not facts. And here's a post from me from before that:

And I quote:

The gap to the fastest P1s is still more than 20 seconds and it will likely be the same in race trim too. Credibility is earned on promises and predictions being delivered on. If a few of the Nissan supporters could just say something to the effect of "Yeah the LM-GTR doesn't seem like it will ever be competitive with the other LMP1s, but let's wait for the program to see its course just to see how fast this concept can eventually become. It's cool to see a new approach anyway." That would be a massive breath of fresh air. The defiant arguing with every post about the Nissan on the other hand.........

Just let it be criticized for now. Eventually nobody will care about it and we'll move on to the next thing. Nissan will be back next year anyway. And it shouldn't be any surprise the car is slow. I'd like to see it do well too, but there's a reason most top-flight racing cars have their engines behind the driver and primarily driving the rear wheels. Engineers have known this for decades and I'm pretty sure the laws of physics have not changed since then.

I applaud Nissan and the people there for taking a risk on an unproven concept, but at some point you have to accept the reality for what it is. It's not entirely unreasonable to classify the car as an LMP2 right now since it's running without the hybrid system, so I guess it could be seen as a small victory that one car is competitive with the LMP2 class. But supposing the car reaches its most evolved state at some point in the future, how is it supposed to reach a laptime that is competitive with the other P1 cars?

Let's assume the car attains an 8 MJ hybrid system next year and a rear-wheel drive system. The hardware for both of these systems will need to be integrated into the chassis and that will inevitably take up space that air is flowing freely through right now. The hybrid system will also have a reasonable cooling requirement. All of these things add up to more total drag, and the whole car was created around a low-drag concept so this is effectively reducing the car's biggest competitive advantage. With all of these factors adding up, the Nissan MIGHT break a 3:25 in its most evolved form in qualifying trim. Whether it can do that and reliably run for 24 hours too ............ it does not seem likely.

Basically the only way I see this car ever being competitive for a win is if it can quadruple stint its tires AND go an 2 laps longer than the other LMP1s before needing gas.

So it was 20 seconds here, and in every post before that. Don't believe me, go look back further.

And I'll trust a respected publication such as Autosport before you. Deal with it.

We already have 2 proper sounding race cars.
Is one of those the Ferrari 458? And the other one a second Ferrari 458 behind it? Seriously those cars scream like crazy (especially when you're walking over a bridge and two pass below within a couple of seconds of each other :bowdown:).

Is one of those the Ferrari 458? And the other one a second Ferrari 458 behind it? Seriously those cars scream like crazy (especially when you're walking over a bridge and two pass below within a couple of seconds of each other :bowdown:).
No its the Aston Martin V8 Vantage being followed by the C7R ;)
And I'll trust a respected publication such as Autosport before you. Deal with it.

I know @hsv talks rubbish 100 % hence why hes on my block list but calling autosport respected? For shame!

A little off topic but I decided to update my avatar pic, taken at Club corner this year (when the lovely Toyota's still had the illusion of competitiveness :( ).

;)
I know @hsv talks rubbish 100 % hence why hes on my block list but calling autosport respected? For shame!

They do have a lot of opinion pieces and a few contributors are off the mark from time to time. I'll agree with that. Still, more respected and way more objective than the representatives of Nissan who are posting on this forum.

@hsv My original posts and the Nissan employee's replies:
Ok, just stop. For what it's worth, all of my posts in here are on my own time, using my own device, and my own personal opinion. I've owned several Nissan's in the past (purchasing another next year) and have always been a Nissan enthusiast.

So the "Nissan Employee blah blah" BS stops here. Has absolutely nothing to do with what I post.

Ok, just stop. For what it's worth, all of my posts in here are on my own time, using my own device, and my own personal opinion. I've owned several Nissan's in the past (purchasing another next year) and have always been a Nissan enthusiast.

So the "Nissan Employee blah blah" BS stops here. Has absolutely nothing to do with what I post.

You're not in control of what other people say buddy. Just quoting what's already been said anyway. If the same respect was given to the negative opinions of car as the positive ones, we wouldn't have gotten here. You have been very consistent in responding to those posts that might shed Nissan in a bad light after all.

I think you bring up a good point that your employer shouldn't be a part of this conversation. That being said, there is no chance it does not influence your opinion in some way. If you respectfully respond by asking to keep your employer out of the conversation, I'll happily oblige. Demanding for it to happen, I'm not going to respect that.

You have been very consistent in responding to those posts that might shed Nissan in a bad light after all.
I'm responding because I know what's going on, I don't care about the negativity. I'm just confused why people are expecting so much more from a team that's 10 months old running an entirely new configuration.

If you respectfully respond by asking to keep your employer out of the conversation, I'll happily oblige. Demanding for it to happen, I'm not going to respect that.
Well I'll say this again, as a Nissan ENTHUSIAST I am sharing my opinion on this matter, my employment has NOTHING to do with it. So but out with it. And it's been reported anyway, let's see what a moderator has to say.

I'm responding because I know what's going on, I don't care about the negativity. I'm just confused why people are expecting so much more from a team that's 10 months old running an entirely new configuration.
It's fair enough that the project is young and I think many people don't or didn't expect them to win or be in the running. That being said I draw a lot of comparisons to Caterham F1, in which year after year they would keep saying it's different, going to be midpack or they will score a point for sure this year...Nissan has said a lot and failed. But it doesn't mean people don't believe in the product. It's just in this day and era people expect things to perform well from the start. We as humans no longer have patience in anything, from sport to just a simple YouTube video. No one has the patience to wait 30 seconds for an advert. It's safe to say the critism is coming from a era if you don't perform you aren't supported.

Also this is just two people with opinions and one with refusing to accept others views. Everyone has an opinion and trying to make everyone agree or see the same thing is impossible. I don't see how Red has said anything harshly about the Nissan performance. He is supporting his critism with statements made by Nissan, and he has said he wants them to do well. I think it's only fair Nissan receiver critism, without critism we can not understand how to improve And hopefully this will further motivate Nissan to go and perform better next year

It's fair enough that the project is young and I think many people don't or didn't expect them to win or be in the running. That being said I draw a lot of comparisons to Caterham F1, in which year after year they would keep saying it's different, going to be midpack or they will score a point for sure this year...Nissan has said a lot and failed. But it doesn't mean people don't believe in the product. It's just in this day and era people expect things to perform well from the start. We as humans no longer have patience in anything, from sport to just a simple YouTube video. No one has the patience to wait 30 seconds for an advert. It's safe to say the critism is coming from a era if you don't perform you aren't supported.

Also this is just two people with opinions and one with refusing to accept others views. Everyone has an opinion and trying to make everyone agree or see the same thing is impossible. I don't see how Red has said anything harshly about the Nissan performance. He is supporting his critism with statements made by Nissan, and he has said he wants them to do well. I think it's only fair Nissan receiver critism, without critism we can not understand how to improve And hopefully this will further motivate Nissan to go and perform better next year
They are 10 months into a multi-year program with a configuration that nobody has used before.

Pretty simple really.

They are 10 months into a multi-year program with a configuration that nobody has used before.

Pretty simple really.
Okay yeah that's a fair point. But maybe it's never been done before for a reason? Is it not fair to consider that an option or valid reason to be unsold by the Nissan concept? Or is everyone wrong there?

I actually support the concept Nissan have because I can see the advantages it could do. But they have gone completely the wrong way about this, they were too open and too confident. If they just said "we are turning up to just test and we will probably not understand a single thing" and then everyone would be firm. But they did what every team does these days and lie. And when they do that you lose support and faith in their words. I don't know if Nissan can in twelve months find 25 seconds, considering that the they are going to change the rules to be against the FWD Nissan.

Okay yeah that's a fair point. But maybe it's never been done before for a reason? Is it not fair to consider that an option or valid reason to be unsold by the Nissan concept? Or is everyone wrong there?
The main reason for the layout of the car, and the main reason for the whole design, was minimal drag. I don't know anything about the physics, but I think Nismo posted a video on their YouTube page explaining the whole reason behind it.

...they were too open and too confident. If they just said "we are turning up to just test and we will probably not understand a single thing" and then everyone would be firm. But they did what every team does these days and lie. And when they do that you lose support and faith in their words. I don't know if Nissan can in twelve months find 25 seconds, considering that the they are going to change the rules to be against the FWD Nissan.
I'm not sure they've been too confident, not once have they said "We're going to Le Mans this year to win!". No, that is their goal for 2016. I don't see how they have lied either. How exactly are they changing the rules against the Nissan? If anything, I see it helping them.

The main reason for the layout of the car, and the main reason for the whole design, was minimal drag. I don't know anything about the physics, but I think Nismo posted a video on their YouTube page explaining the whole reason behind it.

I'm not sure they've been too confident, not once have they said "We're going to Le Mans this year to win!". No, that is their goal for 2016. I don't see how they have lied either. How exactly are they changing the rules against the Nissan? If anything, I see it helping them.
Yup engine at the front, better rear diffuser and lower weight height.

Sure they have lied. You believe Nissan are being honest? No company is honest anymore...lol
From AWD to FW. To 1500bhp to 1000bhp to them 450. Being competitive out the box, not fastest but easily beating lmp2 and focused on staying within lmp1 times to just taking it slow. Every day Nissan lower that bar.

Happily.

Darren Cox has predicted that the Nissan GT-R LM NISMOs will be "significantly faster" than the LMP2s despite the delays in the project and a downgrading of the car's hybrid system into the two megajoule class.

"What did they qualify at last year, a 3m37s? We will be way ahead of that," he told AUTOSPORT. http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119212

They just did that target...and it hardly seemed easy...

Happily.

Darren Cox has predicted that the Nissan GT-R LM NISMOs will be "significantly faster" than the LMP2s despite the delays in the project and a downgrading of the car's hybrid system into the two megajoule class.

"What did they qualify at last year, a 3m37s? We will be way ahead of that," he told AUTOSPORT. http://m.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119212

Well the car isn't running a hybrid system right now, so of course it's not as fast as what he said they would be with it.

Happily.

And then the FIA are all like "Yeah? Well, you and ByKolles are starting at the back of the grid anyway because you're not fast enough."

http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/117892-grid-penalty-for-nissan-lmp1s

Latest Posts

Back