[The McLaren Thread]-Welcoming The Name And The F1 To Gran Turismo!

Much greater news than Lambos and Bugattis being included! :sly:

Nah, they're all just as great news I guess. Seriously, what's the Forza fanboys gonna pick on about GT5 now? Seriously!?

Ahhh! skidmarks, backup lights and trees? :dopey:

Call me crazy, but this doesn't really excite me that much.

Same here, for two reasons:

1 - I don't have a PS3.
2 - I don't think I will ever have a PS3.

That said, however, I'm looking forward to watch other people driving the car on YouTube. 👍 Good news indeed.

Although it's a given, I do think the Pagani name is in dire needs of being updated within the GT Series.

The C12 & C12S are lovely, but it's about time the F got its namesake. Actually, that goes for any game that has had a Zonda besides NFS....

Of course. It's been so long since GT4, so I fully expect every manufacturer to be fully represented from RUF's RT-12 to the CTR3. The same goes for Ferrari, Lamborghini and the like.

McLaren's name alone brings more prestige to the series.

Same here, for two reasons:

1 - I don't have a PS3.
2 - I don't think I will ever have a PS3.

That said, however, I'm looking forward to watch other people driving the car on YouTube. 👍 Good news indeed.

Then why do you post anything in the PS3 forums? After what you just posted # 1and #2?

Then why do you post anything in the PS3 forums? After what you just posted # 1and #2?

Because I have the freedom to do it, as long as I stay within the boundaries of the AUP? What are you doing posting in a GT5 forum, when you don't even have the game? Geez, people. Think a little bit.

Because I have the freedom to do it, as long as I stay within the boundaries of the AUP? What are you doing posting in a GT5 forum, when you don't even have the game? Geez, people. Think a little bit.

We are posting because we have a PS3, that the Mclaren road car is going to be in GT5! Not posting i don't have a PS3, a probably will not have one ever!!

I can't help but disagree with you here. The first car, which I can't remember the name of, is hardly a 'production car.' Even though it is technically street legal as far as exhaust, lighting etc. it really is lacking any ability to be a street vehicle because if you ever were so unfortunate to come across a speed bump, you would do some serious damage to that nose.

The speed 12 is not and never was a production car. The TVR owner tried driving one on the street (he was a pretty respectable driver) he decided it had too much power and they cancelled the project.

something like 30 Mosler MT900s were ever built including all versions, so I think you can hardly call it a production car, even compared to the slightly over 100 F1s. Besides its performance numbers aren't quite as impressive as the F1s.

I will give it to you, the S7 is a pretty schnazzy car, with impressive numbers, bot production and performance, but there is something impressive about the fact that the F1 first came out in 1992.

I think an exciting list of dream cars would be the top 100 or so cars around the top gear test track. PD seems to already have the licenses for most of them, so I will keep my fingers crossed :)

actually, I'd rather see a Koinegsegg go up against the Veyron. but McLaren F1 vs. XJ220 would be a good battle. As would McLaren vs. Koinegsegg since the Koineg on beat the F1 by less than 1mph.

Finally the father of the S7 comes home. I love the F1, such a nice looking car. I certainly hope they tracked down an owner of the F1 LM as that is the most awesome of the F1, i hope PD included this version as well. As well as the 2007 S7TT, 750hp, how can you go wrong?

What an awesome addition to an already all star cast, I'm drooling as my G25 is awaiting the purchase of this game.

Good call on the Caparo T1, which actually is the most under-rated supercar of the new era (year 2000+).

It was 0.1 seconds faster than the Ferrari FXX driven by Schumacher on the Top gear test track, and it was almost a full 7....SEVEN SECONDS faster than the fastest official vehicle which is the Gumpert Apollo. ...which is funny because Top gear and everyone else complains about how low the Caparo T1 is but let's see the Apollo clear a speed bump:

gumpert-apollo-3262.jpg

Yeah that's what I thought. And it's even more baffling because the Caparo T1 is british origin so you'd think they'd be damn proud of it and have it at the top of their power lap board but i guess not. of course it doesn't matter since the Caparo T1 is basically a baby Formula One car for the road which means it will pretty much decimate any other road car on almost any track.

Not to mention the caparo T1 has adjustable ride height so that it can be raised and thus allow enough ground clearance.

Last edited:
Finally Mclaren has entered the GT world to let us taste that sweet F1 nectar.

This car should be dominant in just about everything which begs the question: Should it be restricted to its own events and serious F1 vs Veyron vs Koenigsegg*.

I mean, In a supercar event (MP4-12C and 458 Italia for example) the F1 will carve just about anythimg you throw out there. And online races will be grids full of Mclarens.

Heres hoping the point system makes a return.

*If it's in

I don't think it would carve a hole through those fields. As good as it is its getting on a bit now and cornering speeds would be much lower than some recent examples.

Finally Mclaren has entered the GT world to let us taste that sweet F1 nectar.

This car should be dominant in just about everything which begs the question: Should it be restricted to its own events and serious F1 vs Veyron vs Koenigsegg*.

I mean, In a supercar event (MP4-12C and 458 Italia for example) the F1 will carve just about anythimg you throw out there. And online races will be grids full of Mclarens.

Heres hoping the point system makes a return.

*If it's in

It shouldn't be restricted, but it will probably cost the highest in the game. If not, it will be up there with the Veyron, CCXR (if it's in) and perhaps a few others (FXX comes to mind and of course the Le Mans and F1 cars).

But as far as production cars, the McLaren F1 might be the most expensive, and therefore, most thrilling to drive once bought! :)

which is funny because Top gear and everyone else complains about how low the Caparo T1 is but let's see the Apollo clear a speed bump:

Yeah that's what I thought.

doesn't the Gumpert have the nose lift suspension thing. Press button and raise the nose like many cars do?

Press button and raise the nose like many cars do?

I can see it now:

35mph speed limit, but I mean let's be serious, if you bought a car expensive enough to need a suspension lift to get over a speed bump, you are going to be going faster than 35mph. So you are roaring down the road at a solid 80+, and oh crap there is the speed bump painted bright yellow ahead. Slam on the breaks, raise the nose, gently drive over it. Alright good, lower that nose again. Vrooooom, let see how fast we can get before we have to slow down for another speed bump.

Why not just call it a track car, and cut the crap and just race it around a track. Heck if you can afford one of those beasts, why not just pave your own track in your backyard?

if you are going down a road with speed bumps on it, you really shouldn't be doing 80. I know you aren't supposed to do 80 in most places but just in general they put speed bumps in places where safety is a concern.

I agree. I never thought for a moment it wouldn't be in GT5.

Wasn't this news posted in another thread already?

Really?

What gave you such insight into that?

The F1 roadcar is a very rare occurance in racing games. It featured in a couple of NFS games and probably because of EA it's featured in very little else.

Now, I assume we'll have the FINA Longtail GTR again, but if we manage to get the shorttail version as well I will be extremely happy. FM3 has three different Longtail GTR's and the GT roadcar, PGR has the F1 LM, Enthusia had the shorttail GTR so if GT includes them all.....:drool:

XP5 prototype '94 (love those cool fog lights!)
mclaren1.jpg

Not to be picky but thats actually the non-running 'Clinic Model' used for the first official presentation of the F1 in Monaco way back when. This was built before any of the prototypes (XP1-5) were.

Ohohh, calm down, we're not talking of a car, it's a legend, the fastest ever road going car! You can say Veyron is faster in a straight line, ok, but in a normal track, there's no road going car that can match F1.

Maybe the F1 LM would better most other roadcars as it's basically just a GTR, but the original roadcar was set up to be comfortable on the road and competent enough in hard driving. However, with it's soft suspension, early 90's tires and brakes, most modern roadcars will run rings around it on a track.

That said, it doesn't matter to me, it's still the daddy of supercars and no other will match it.

Last edited:
I haven't driven an F1 since Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 and that was for the PS2. I cannot fathom driving one in HD, on my PS3, and with a cast of 999 other cars. And you damn well know PD has modeled it to near perfection. It's remarkable. I cannot wait.

Oh, and the matchups are endless.

FXX VS F1 VS Veyron VS XJ220 VS (CCXR?):drool:

something like 30 Mosler MT900s were ever built including all versions, so I think you can hardly call it a production car, even compared to the slightly over 100 F1s. Besides its performance numbers aren't quite as impressive as the F1s.
The F1 has a 0-60 of 3.2, the MT900S of 3.1. The Mosler weighs in at 2,200lbs, with 600Hp on tap.
If anything, I'd say the Mosler's numbers are just as impressive as the McLaren's though on the track, I'm positive the MT900S would be too much for the standard F1.
I will give it to you, the S7 is a pretty schnazzy car, with impressive numbers, bot production and performance, but there is something impressive about the fact that the F1 first came out in 1992.
Wait, the Mosler isn't a production car because of its numbers being under 50, but the S7 is despite having just as low production numbers? 💡

Thats sort of what I mean. Those cars are obviously not road cars, no matter what their production numbers say. I suppose you could include the F1 in this too, but these cars serve no purpose other than to go fast, so why not just do it on a track where it is safe and legal?

Thats sort of what I mean. Those cars are obviously not road cars, no matter what their production numbers say. I suppose you could include the F1 in this too, but these cars serve no purpose other than to go fast, so why not just do it on a track where it is safe and legal?
So, cars like the GT3 RS, M3 GTS, Enzo, 360CS, F40, F50, etc. aren't road cars? Last I remembered, their only purpose is to go fast as well.
Do you have a pic? It sounds interesting and would be great to see 👍.
e8bb3f0d46d60f7cfe6857fa499efc96-Gran_Turismo_2.jpg

The F1 has a 0-60 of 3.2, the MT900S of 3.1. The Mosler weighs in at 2,200lbs, with 600Hp on tap.
If anything, I'd say the Mosler's numbers are just as impressive as the McLaren's though on the track, I'm positive the MT900S would be too much for the standard F1.

Wait, the Mosler isn't a production car because of its numbers being under 50, but the S7 is despite having just as low production numbers? 💡

I thought the S7 had production numbers in the hundreds, but I could be mitaken?

As far as the Mosler, I was thinking of the regular old MT900, which has 350 HP, and a top speed of something like 150. As I read the Wikipedia page, I see that the MT900S has 600HP, so maybe my whole argument is based too much on assumption.

So, cars like the GT3 RS, M3 GTS, Enzo, 360CS, F40, F50, etc. aren't road cars? Last I remembered, their only purpose is to go fast as well.
Many of those certainly were designed only to go fast, but many of them were based on other more *practical* cars, which are generally pretty fast too. I mean, its not like I am saying anything other than minivans and pickup trucks are not road cars. I guess the question I am asking is how/why do we call a car a road car if it was designed to perform on a level inconceivable on public roads? I mean even on roads without posted speed limits, you are never going to be able to push one of those cars to its limits in terms of speed. These cars also have handling specs much higher than your average mini van or pickup truck, but who buys an F50 because they want to go around corners?

In any case, I still don't think these cars have much on the F1 given the fact it has been around for so much longer, and had such primitive technology (in comparison to what we have today).

I wouldn't really consider any of them production cars or road cars when you get down to it. They are all race cars in street car's clothing.

EDIT AGAIN:
Sorry, the above comment I don't intend to apply to things like the M3s, and things that are tuned souped up versions of more practical vehicles like the 3 series.
Most people might disagree with me about the Ferraris and things, but I guess I still wonder, why we call them road cars when they are closer to simplified race cars?

EDIT AGAIN... AGAIN:
I figured I should add this too, to the last sentence, F1, F40, all the other supercars and such, they are racecars, simplified, and made more humane to the driver, and more practical than a straight up race car, like the necessities of street legality, and interiors.

This brings to mind the beauties of GT3, the Toyota GT1 road car, and the Nissan R390 Road car. Sure, Toyota and Nissan, those are road cars, wink wink.

I guess that case is a little different, but maybe you see what I mean?

Last edited:
What about Caparo T1?
They were designed and engineered by the same team who built Mclaren F1.

Sorry off topic. Should I make a new thread?

gordan murray.jpgjust a little Mclaren F1 factiod-gordan murray.jpg
couldn't find a link so here's what i have on my hard drive. it's pretty much a copy paste from the original.

To this day, the NSX is still a car that is near and dear to my heart. I put 75,000 Km on my NSX over the course of six or seven years.

It's very difficult to discuss the NSX using current values and sensibilities. When the NSX debuted, the word "supercar" was still a relatively new idea in Europe. There are some who would say the Lamborghini Miura from the late 1960s was the first supercar. However, the truth is the explosion of modern supercars really started at the end of the 1980s.

At the end of the 80s was the time when McLaren Cars was conceiving the idea for the McLaren F1. To that end, I was concentrating on coming up with what I wanted in a road car.

To my thinking, the ideal car is one in which I could get in the driver's seat and be out for a drive in downtown London, and then want to continue straight on to southern France. A car that you can trust, with functional air conditioning, and retains daily drivability. No offset pedals allowed. No high dashboards restricting your view either. Having a low roof hitting your head every time you go over a bump in the name of aerodynamics and styling is out of the question. It is essential that a supercar be a pleasure to drive, and anything detracting from that must be excised.

I started by driving the cars known then as "supercars." The Porsche 959, Bugatti EB110, Ferrari F40, Jaguar XJ220. Unfortunately, none of these fit the pattern of the supercar we were trying to build. What we wanted was a relatively compact, usable driver's car. The Porsche 911 had the usability, but with the engine packed in the back, it had a weakness in its handling stability.

During this time, we were able to visit with Ayrton Senna (the late F1 Champion) and Honda's Tochigi Research Center. The visit related to the fact that at the time, McLaren's F1 Grand Prix cars were using Honda engines.

Coincidentally, I spotted an NSX prototype parked near the course. I also learned at the time that Ayrton was assisting in the development of the NSX. And that Honda rear mid-engined sports car--the NSX--was the friendly supercar that we had been looking for. This car had perfectly functional air conditioning, a reasonably roomy trunk, and of course, it was a Honda, with the high levels of quality and reliability that implies.

Then I had the opportunity to drive it. Along with Ron Dennis (President, McLaren Cars) and Mansour Ojjeh (Tag McLaren Group Representative), we drove the prototype on the Tochigi Research Center test course. I remember being moved, thinking, "It is remarkable how our vision comes through in this car."

Of course as you know, the engine has only six cylinders; however, the NSX's very rigid chassis is excellent and would easily be capable of handling more power. Although it's true I had thought it would have been better to put a larger engine, the moment I drove the "little" NSX, all the benchmark cars--Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini--I had been using as references in the development of my car vanished from my mind. Of course the car we would create, the McLaren F1, needed to be faster than the NSX, but the NSX's ride quality and handling would become our new design target.

When working on the development of a new car for years, it's easy to be caught in certain pitfalls. When you drive the car under development for testing every day (in truth, I was responsible for two-thirds of the testing for the McLaren F1), in that time, you can unknowingly convince yourself you are making progress when in fact you are not. For example, it's human nature that at the end of a long day you may want to think that your efforts to reduce low speed harshness are working better than they are. It is at times like this when you need a car to compare with. In those situations, the NSX time and again showed us the path in the areas of ride quality and handling, and also helped us recognize when we weren't making as much progress as we thought.

In my opinion, the NSX's most special quality has long been overlooked.

That could be summarized with the words, "The NSX's suspension is amazing."

Both the body and suspension are aluminum, and it probably couldn't be helped that journalists' attention has been focused on praising the aluminum body. However, the suspension is the much more impressive use of aluminum.

It's lightweight, tough, yet compliant. Also contributing to the refined NSX's handling and ride quality are 17 inch wheels and tires that are not overly large. The NSX's suspension is truly an ingenious system, and back then I imagined the development costs must have been enormous. To achieve that unparalleled accuracy and superior ride quality, longitudinal wheel movement is allowed via the use of a compliance pivot. (※)

(※) Compliance refers to when you travel over a bump, the tire experiences a longitudinal force, which the tire and suspension must move with and absorb the shock. The pivot couples the upper and lower arms. It is connected to the arms via ball joints so that they move as a unit. When encountering input, the pivot rotates, keeping alignment changes to near zero while retaining compliance (see diagram). The inspiration obtained from this NSX suspension system would later influence the development of the McLaren F1's suspension.

The NSX was also the first car to use DBW (Drive By Wire). It felt very pleasing. DBW is when instead of using a mechanical cable, an electronic signal is used to communicate throttle position. It achieved a very natural, linear feeling throttle, and I can now hide my embarrassment and confess that I copied the idea during the development of the McLaren F1 (laughs).

The low-slung NSX's driver's seat position also provided just the right head clearance and an amazing field of view. The NSX development team moved the air conditioning unit away from the dash and deep into the NSX's nose in order to obtain more space. That air conditioning unit is an excellent one, and normally, you don't notice whether it's on or not.

On the day I bought the NSX, I pressed the "Auto" button and since then until selling it, I never had to touch it. It was that perfect. Ah, I also remember the audio system as being very good.

However, the media wrote up the aluminum body, and the many merits and advantages I perceived in the NSX have largely been overlooked.

In my opinion, the NSX, while being such a great sports car, had two large flaws in it's marketing. First, at the time, the public was not ready to accept a Japanese car that was this expensive. The second is that for supercar customers, the power figures were not quite high enough. Of course, the prototype's engine was not bad, and soon the VTEC engine was added. Whenever I hear that VTEC sound it's amazing. I am repeating myself, but the NSX's excellent chassis would have been capable of handling much more power.

With just a slightly lower price, or possibly selling it with a different brand name and a different badge, or perhaps endowing it with a touch flashier and more aggressive styling and additional power, there is no question the NSX would have reigned as a cult star of the supercars.

However, during that time, in Honda's philosophy there was a resistance to large engines with many cylinders. I am not certain, but probably at the time, the voluntary restraint on power limits was a factor. Being a fan of Honda engines, I later went to Honda's Tochigi Research Center on two occasions and requested that they consider building for the McLaren F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up equipped with a BMW engine.

The NSX's development costs must have been enormous. Everything on it is unique. The chassis, powertrain, even the air conditioning are peerless. That aluminum body was very expensive. The numerous hurdles overcome by the NSX to reach production in areas such as spot welding, corrosion, and repairability make it a monumental work in automotive history. The philosophy of creating a car for human beings is apparent throughout. If it were me, I probably would not have obsessed over the aluminum and would have settled for a steel structure with aluminum panels to try to achieve a similar weight reduction. But what I really want to emphasize is the suspension. It is a a groundbreaking use of aluminum.

There are a few things that could be improved on the NSX. First, the tires are too soft. Over the seven years I ran mine, I went through 14 sets of tires. After changing over to harder-compound Michelins in the rear, my tire life increased. As a result, rear grip was decreased slightly, but driving became more fun. The NSX's traction control and ABS are first generation systems and as a result are somewhat slow-acting. I also missed having more storage space in the interior. However, such things hardly seem significant in a sports car of this caliber.

The NSX is a landmark car. It awoke not only a lazy Ferrari, but Porsche as well and sparked advances in usability, ergonomics, and handling. It may not have achieved success from a marketing standpoint, but many influential and important people have owned them. The NSX is also unusual in that it continued to be on sale for so long. If I were to looking for that type of car now, I would--without a doubt--gladly own an NSX

Back