The "Online Boost" demystified

• Thread starter unimental
  • 431 comments
Pardon my ignorance as I have not read all the posts in this thread, but has anyone conducted any experiments to test this track boost hypothesis?

I'm not sure how to go about doing this, but I'm sure you chaps are smart and come up with some ideas! It might be difficult if the races are only a few laps and we can't get on servers with other pilots to coordinate an experiment.

I guess pilot 1 could do fast consistent laps and then a pilot 2 purposelly crash, or go off the track, and see if the fast consistent laps increase in time for pilot 1? This could be repeated over and over to get a high n-value.

Already confirmed many many times... But PD is coming to her's senses and taking it away, bit by bit... Right now it's quite good for the 3lap races... you won't notice it if having fast, fair race.. :)

The boost still lives. Also now the fact that PD doesn't include the best lap time for each player in the end of race stats makes sense, first place would likely NEVER have the fastest lap.

It's still there.
I managed to close in 3 seconds each sector on average on the leader.
(but lost a lot of time with crashing)

Pardon my ignorance as I have not read all the posts in this thread, but has anyone conducted any experiments to test this track boost hypothesis?

I'm not sure how to go about doing this, but I'm sure you chaps are smart and come up with some ideas! It might be difficult if the races are only a few laps and we can't get on servers with other pilots to coordinate an experiment.

I guess pilot 1 could do fast consistent laps and then a pilot 2 purposelly crash, or go off the track, and see if the fast consistent laps increase in time for pilot 1? This could be repeated over and over to get a high n-value.
Laps times in the Ford GT LM:

I don't need to test anything..Its all in the laps times while racing. I will practice HSR R and get a 1'06.1..Then in race trim I will get 1'07.555. Which in both cases I run the fastest lap I can without wrecking. In practice I can run consistant laps. In race trim I cannot.

At Suzuka with the Ford GT LM I can run a lap of 1'01.9 in practice, in race trim I can't get anywhere near that. 1'06..1'07 Its all over the place. I figured out what they do to the leader.

OH and BTW I am in the lead when posting these lap times. You see the leader will have R3's... But because you are fast, you must be punished for being fast, so the game gives you grip like you have R1-R2 and gives the slow cars more HP and R4's. Is this making any sense?

I will have to agree with most members here, the boost or Rubber Band Effect (RBE) has been scaled down at some level, but it is very much still around.

I cannot wait until we can get rid of the crutch for the weak and slow. It can't happen fast enough.

I think the strongest evidence that the boost has changed is that the 750pp Suzuka event is shown as a "new" event, even though no published details about the event has changed.

Last time there was an event update, those events which did not change (such as 750pp Suzuka) were not flagged as "new" in the lobby. However, with this most recent update, Suzuka 750pp is flagged as "new," even though it's the same event. This means either there is an error in the "new" flag, or there is indeed something different about the event.

Is it gone yet or just changed? I have no interest in playing this game online until they get rid of the boost and the stupid ghosting.

Is it gone yet or just changed? I have no interest in playing this game online until they get rid of the boost and the stupid ghosting.
Then you might as well get used to the fact that your going to wait a long time for the full version. As long as we can call this game a demo, the boost or the rubber band effect is going to be in PD random online races. We don't know when we get our private rooms whether or not we will have the choice to turn that rubbish off or not.

Good luck man

Late last night I went on-line for the 1st time since the event change over and I immediately noticed the boost had changed massively. Couple of examples...

1) I ran several races in the 6'58-6'59 range last night (Suzuka, PP600, Audi R8)... nothing special about that except I led them from start to finish and ended some of them with a >15 second gap to 2nd... before the event change over my typical race time in these circumstances would have been more around the 7'11-7'13.

2) In one race, whilst leading by over 7 seconds, I ran a 2'17.3xx, and consistently managed to pull low 2'19's whilst leading... before the event change over my lap times when leading by >5ssec would have more typically been around 2'22.

Bravo PD!

This is really strange,did a race were I was leading from start to finish(10sec gap),and didnt find any 'boost' at all.All the time very grippy car,then next race that stupid thing hits again?It shurely is there.

OK, what is the deal here, I thought that they would have fixed this by now, but early this morning i found out that it is still there. Here's the story: I'm in the beginners Suzuka East course(because that's the only race i can compete in with my Focus ST & have a cance of winning(Daytona Oval, TOOOO boring on beginer level)). I keep flipping back & fourth between the speed channel & my loading screen, so eventually this risky move was going to bite me in the butt, or so it seemed, i watched the infomercial on some really awesome car washing products 15 seconds too long, because when i flipped back to what i thought was the loading screen, turned out to be my Focus ST coasting down the strait away as 1st & 2nd place were just coming out of the 1st corner. I at that point thought the race was over for me, but being a good sport about it i decided to make a good attempt to try & win the race. It took me no more than 1.5 laps to get to 1st place & i'm not even driving the best car. This made me completely positive that they didn't get rid of the Rubber Band effect, but the strange thing was, 2 races later I got a large enough lead that i was able to pull my e-brake, swing my car around & throw it in reverse & drive in reverse a cross the line. So, that right there confused me, if the rubber band effect was still there i shouln'd have been able to do that, but then again, how the heck did I make up 15 seconds with a Focus ST in 1.5 laps 2 races earlier?:confused:

Perhaps the boost is still there in the lower events? It wouldn't be surprising.
It's definitely gone in the Pro events, or at least vastly reduced.

Also.....you are talking about beginner events, it's not beyond the competition to drive that badly.

OK, what is the deal here, I thought that they would have fixed this by now, but early this morning i found out that it is still there. Here's the story: I'm in the beginners Suzuka East course(because that's the only race i can compete in with my Focus ST & have a cance of winning(Daytona Oval, TOOOO boring on beginer level)). I keep flipping back & fourth between the speed channel & my loading screen, so eventually this risky move was going to bite me in the butt, or so it seemed, i watched the infomercial on some really awesome car washing products 15 seconds too long, because when i flipped back to what i thought was the loading screen, turned out to be my Focus ST coasting down the strait away as 1st & 2nd place were just coming out of the 1st corner. I at that point thought the race was over for me, but being a good sport about it i decided to make a good attempt to try & win the race. It took me no more than 1.5 laps to get to 1st place & i'm not even driving the best car. This made me completely positive that they didn't get rid of the Rubber Band effect, but the strange thing was, 2 races later I got a large enough lead that i was able to pull my e-brake, swing my car around & throw it in reverse & drive in reverse a cross the line. So, that right there confused me, if the rubber band effect was still there i shouln'd have been able to do that, but then again, how the heck did I make up 15 seconds with a Focus ST in 1.5 laps 2 races earlier?:confused:

TunerFocus,
I don't think we need two threads about the same subject. I have therefore merged your thread into this one.

I am finding more and more often, if I get the lead (and don't mess up), I will consistantly grow my lead (ie.6 seconds a lap = 18 second win). Previously I would get a lead and only just barely win or maintain the intial lead. Or maybe I am just getting better ;)

On the flip side, I have messed up a few times and really had to fight to catch up.

TunerFocus,
I don't think we need two threads about the same subject. I have therefore merged your thread into this one.
Oops, sorry about that, i'll pay more attention to what threads are allready out there. :)👍

EDIT:

Perhaps the boost is still there in the lower events? It wouldn't be surprising.
It's definitely gone in the Pro events, or at least vastly reduced.

Also.....you are talking about beginner events, it's not beyond the competition to drive that badly.

Yeah, i'm talking about the beginner Suzuka east course, sadly.

I still believe there is no 'boost',just keep an eye on you're top speeds.They will stay the same wether you're in 1st or 16th place on the grid.
What i do notice is the tyre grip changing in relation to you're place on the grid.
Example:drifting in corners while in 1st place,less drifting while in 16th.Brake points have to be earlier,exit speeds out of corners are lower.
So it seems the further you are to the front of the grid the less tyre grip you have.:scared:

I still believe there is no 'boost',just keep an eye on you're top speeds.They will stay the same wether you're in 1st or 16th place on the grid.
What i do notice is the tyre grip changing in relation to you're place on the grid.
Example:drifting in corners while in 1st place,less drifting while in 16th.Brake points have to be earlier,exit speeds out of corners are lower.
So it seems the further you are to the front of the grid the less tyre grip you have.:scared:

Hmm...this seems true, but how the heck did i make up 15 seconds on Susuka East in 1.5 laps with a Focus ST if there is no boost handicap?:confused:

Hmm...this seems true, but how the heck did i make up 15 seconds on Susuka East in 1.5 laps with a Focus ST if there is no boost handicap?:confused:

I will go out on a limb and say that your car went through a black hole located on the track and was jumped through time at warped speeds.:crazy:

Yeah, we worked this out a while back. However, we all still refer to it as a "boost" in the sense that it does give a boost (as in, like someone giving a boost up to climb over a wall) to the back markers. Also, in nearly all games, handicaps are referred to as boosts anyway.
I suppose it would be better to refer to it as a "handicap system", but that doesn't sound as good as boost, lol.

Or if it has gone away... some will still believe it hasn't no matter what, and blame any thing that they can't or wont explain on "the boost" and like so many myths, it will live forever. :)

I bet there are many people who still swear they can get a specific pize car in GT3 by pressing X at "just the right time"... but it still only works 25% of the time with four prize cars, and 33% of the time with three... go figure. ;)

2'08.053
No Draft
Suzuka 600 PP

Impossible time for anyone to achieve in normal conditions unless boost/handicap is applied.

This is all the proof you really need. However, if you're still not convinced, I still have it on video. :sly:

You mean like when the lead car screws up, allowing the cars behind to close the gap, and even pass?

Now unless you have evidence that they didn't screw up, that would certainly be a possibility.

Impossible time for anyone to achieve in normal conditions unless boost/handicap is applied.

This is all the proof you really need. However, if you're still not convinced, I still have it on video. :sly:

Wow... you still won't let it go, and still want an argument over something I'm not even arguing against. :rolleyes:

Let's make sure you were even reading what you took the time to quote, shall we?

Or if it has gone away... some will still believe it hasn't no matter what, and blame any thing that they can't or wont explain on "the boost" and like so many myths, it will live forever. :)

I bet there are many people who still swear they can get a specific prize car in GT3 by pressing X at "just the right time"... but it still only works 25% of the time with four prize cars, and 33% of the time with three... go figure. ;)

Now perhaps I should have been more clear as to not associate the boost with a complete myth (like the ability to select a prize car in GT3), but frankly, your rather school yard like taunts/challenges leave me to think you'll be unhappy unless everyone feels the exact same way that you do, despite the fact that even you must admit you do not even know what is going on.

In fact, I'm not even sure why you keep using the word boost, as you have pointed out time after time, that when you are in the lead you are punished. It seems that assuming everything you have said is true, then if anything its some form of handicap system, and not simply just a boost to those who have fallen far behind the leader.

But you have also chosen to ignore the many posts that have very different experiences with this so-called boost... which is the problem with anecdotal evidence. You seem to suggest only your personal experience should count, and everyone else who has had a different experience is just plain wrong or mistaken.

In addition, based again on anecdotal evidence alone, this "boost" apparently is much less a factor now than before... although without any official word, or scientific objective testing, all we know is that some say they have not experienced any "boost", others say it's still there. Go figure.

That said, and I'll say it again, even IF this so-called "boost", or better yet, handicap system was or is removed, there will be plenty of people who will never believe it, and will for years to come forever believe the "boost" never went away.

After all, it was scientifically and objectively proven that there was no way to bypass the random prize selection process in GT3... and yet despite that, rumors of it's existence continue to this day.

Originally Posted by Sphinx
2'08.053
No Draft
Suzuka 600 PP

When was this? I can remember posting some 2.10 lap times before the last update. Not any more. If some degree of boost still exists, which is certainly possible, it's at a level which makes it hard to distinguish from simply faster driving (perhaps a second or two a lap).

Furthermore, now that the boost isn't a factor, starting at the back in a large grid had become a significant disadvantage, especially over a short 3 lap race. It does make the racing seem much more "realistic" however, making moving up through the grid much more challenging, as it would be IRL.

When was this? I can remember posting some 2.10 lap times before the last update. Not any more. If some degree of boost still exists, which is certainly possible, it's at a level which makes it hard to distinguish from simply faster driving (perhaps a second or two a lap).

It was before the update. I achieved the time in the EVO that would normally only produce a 2'12.??? or perhaps a 2'11, but never a 2'08.

This isn't the first time I mentioned it here and it's also not the first time that I've mentioned that I have footage of the lap, and yet those who still believe that it doesn't exist, and those who think it is very mild in nature have yet to ask me to produce this tangible piece of evidence.

Agreed... and while Sphinx may suggest otherwise, no one in this thread posted any doubt about that time to begin with. I think he just likes posting it. ;)

I keep posting it because it's impossible to get under normal conditions. Anybody with an ounce of driving skill will acknowledge that. It's not my problem that you can't see that not only was the boost/handicap there at that time, it was also there in abundance. If you disagree with that statement then please can you tell me how I came to achieve such an impossible time.

EDIT:

Here it is again:

2'08.053
No Draft
Suzuka 600 PP

Back