The Political Cartoon/Image/Meme Thread

• Thread starter Danoff
  • 12,863 comments
They really should make a separate house where the number of representatives each state gets is determined by population to balance that out. Not quite sure what such a thing would be called though.
Either "fair" or "unfair" depending upon whom you ask.

They really should make a separate house where the number of representatives each state gets is determined by population to balance that out. Not quite sure what such a thing would be called though.

Not sure how exactly that balances things out, unless you consider that geographic territories (somewhat arbitrarily arrived at) should enjoy the same political rights as human beings.

Not sure how exactly that balances things out, unless you consider that geographic territories (somewhat arbitrarily arrived at) should enjoy the same political rights as human beings.

#Rurallivesmatter

The house is based on population density while the senate is static. In theory it balances out since more densely populated areas will have their voices heard in one while in the other the more rural areas can have their say. If everything was solely based on population density than people in more rural areas wouldn't be heard and their needs would be even more neglected than they already are.

#Rurallivesmatter

The house is based on population density while the senate is static. In theory it balances out since more densely populated areas will have their voices heard in one while in the other the more rural areas can have their say. If everything was solely based on population density than people in more rural areas wouldn't be heard and their needs would be even more neglected than they already are.

Can you explain the way in which you think people in rural areas are neglected? There's no easy answer to this in a country the size of the United States, but I would suggest that the ability of individual states to enjoy a degree of autonomy within the federal system should be the main protection of their rights.

I think the house of representatives represents the people. The senate represents the state. Remember, in the founding fathers constitution, people didn't vote for their senators.

eMeJDWL.jpg

EQHLBD5WoAA4UE2.jpg

I'm thankful for the impeachment proceedings because they led to me being introduced to Bill Bramhall in a meaningful way. I realize that I'd seen his work in the past but it was just "political cartoons"; now I can identify his pieces without even seeing the signature. They're more substantive than many.

Can you explain the way in which you think people in rural areas are neglected? There's no easy answer to this in a country the size of the United States, but I would suggest that the ability of individual states to enjoy a degree of autonomy within the federal system should be the main protection of their rights.

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...-behind-trump-budget-fails-rural-communities/

The fact Trump somehow still manages to get so much support from said rural areas just goes to show how bad of a job the Democrats have done.

The democrat voters should punish the DNC and all vote for Trump or 3rd party next election. Maybe then they will see that what they are trying to do now isn't going to help them.

And if Bernie gets screwed over once again, instead of taking that bag of money from the Clintons, he should run as an independent. Just imagine the carnage.

The fact Trump somehow still manages to get so much support from said rural areas just goes to show how bad of a job the Democrats have done.

I'd say it actually shows how good of a job Fox News et al have done scaring them into voting against themselves by stoking their fears of brown people and the gays.

I'd say it actually shows how good of a job Fox News et al have done scaring them into voting against themselves by stoking their fears of brown people and the gays.

Insinuating they're all bigots is not going to accomplish anything positive*. Posts like yours are why Fox News and Rush have so much power over them.

*Unless you consider another 4 years of Trump a positive of course.

#Rurallivesmatter

There are way, WAY more "rural voters" in California ... or in Texas ... than there are in Rhode Island or Delaware, for example. The existing system owes more to the compromises required to bring the 13 original colonies into the union than to an attempt, justified or not, to balance voting power between urban & rural areas.

Imagine, if you will, that the United States, in the present day, had to come up with an equitable electoral system. If somebody put forward a proposal based on the present system they would be laughed out of town.

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...-behind-trump-budget-fails-rural-communities/

I'm not sure how the link you posted shows that? It shows (from the progressive perspective) how bad a job Trump is doing protecting rural communities. The conclusion might be that it's hard to promote opportunity & prosperity in rural communities without a much more drastic "redistribution of wealth" than either of the two major parties has been willing to support.

Insinuating they're all bigots is not going to accomplish anything positive*. Posts like yours are why Fox News and Rush have so much power over them.

Or ... it could be that many rural voters do have bigoted views regarding "brown people" & gays, which is why they gravitate towards Fox News & Rush.

Back