The Renault Alpine- official pics of the new A110

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 512 comments
I saw that run yesterday at Goodwood when I was there. I grabbed the camera and tried to pan it on the move as I wasn't ready for it coming so fast around the corner. I just got it in focus, but the shutter speed was still on 1/30s from the faster cars so it blurred out the rear..It did sound nice from the stands and seemed to shift pretty quick from where I was and I never saw it again :(👍

Last edited:
VXR
I don't think some roll is a bad thing, it allows you to gauge the limits better and gives you that bit more compliance with broken surfaces.

It's also a good sign of lightness (has there been a production-spec weight published for it yet?). If it has less body-mass to control, you can have softer springs, which as you say, generally gives you more compliance and a better 'feel'. 👍

VXR
I don't think some roll is a bad thing, it allows you to gauge the limits better and gives you that bit more compliance with broken surfaces.

I agree, but didn't really want to comment further than "interesting" because of my lack of real experience. :lol: I just find it interesting to note because so many cars are so hard nowadays, it will be interesting to see how this car compares. From memory the car is meant to be more of a comfort option compared to the 4C and Cayman S (while retaining performance), so this would align nicely with that.

The Cayman will be fairly soft too I expect, as Porsche tend to keep their regular fair pliant with fast road driving. Even the RS stuff is praised for its ride.

I recall following an old acquaintance in his 987 Cayman S down a flowing road and it was so graceful.

Caymans do ride well - even the GT4 wasn't too bad. The Alfa is pretty firm. Suspect the Alpine will be closer to the Porsche than the 4C.

I'm hoping for some compliance though too. Makes road driving so much more enjoyable, and as mentioned further up it's nice to have a bit of progressive roll to signal how hard you're working the chassis.

As good as it looks I'm kinda dissapointed.
All this talk of 250+ bhp and 18inch wheels, it's going to be a competitor for the Cayman, but let's face it that's a fight its gonna lose.
Why didn't they go for a more modest output and sensible wheels and give us a car that would actually be fun to drive on real roads, like the gt86 only prettier. Why do you think Mazda never put a higher output motor in the mx5 .

As good as it looks I'm kinda dissapointed.
All this talk of 250+ bhp and 18inch wheels, it's going to be a competitor for the Cayman, but let's face it that's a fight its gonna lose.
Why didn't they go for a more modest output and sensible wheels and give us a car that would actually be fun to drive on real roads, like the gt86 only prettier. Why do you think Mazda never put a higher output motor in the mx5 .
I guess because it weighed 1000kg+/-. They did put a turbo in it during its early lifespan.

As was mentioned, key word. being" luxury".

My point exactly, alpine is a company known for making some outstanding cars with their roots firmly in motorsports. Not , luxury GT's.
I worked for Renault in the mid 90's and was lucky enough to drive a few of the mostly forgotten Renault Sport Spiders. Since then ( it was over 20 years ago ) we've all driven stuff with more power, more grip, more comfort, more refinement, more everything . But more fun I doubt it.
Before everyone gets all high and mighty , I know the spider was a weekend toy but it's the principle of low weight, moderate power (so you don't gain 3 points every time you sneeze) and just enough grip to make it fun.

It's harder to make money off inexpensive cars these days, so a more expensive Alpine is actually fairly good business sense. Because the bare bones of making a car like that can be fairly cheap - it has a turbocharged four-cylinder motor, just like everything else Renault makes - they can simply whack up the boost a bit to give it a decent power-to-weight ratio, put a bit more leather and Alcantara in the cabin, and sell it for more dosh.

If Renault made say, a 200bhp one and sold it at a lower price point, all it would do is reduce the profit margin - since making a 200bhp one wouldn't actually cost Renault any less to build than a 250bhp one. Chances are they'd not sell any more of the cheaper one either (since the overall market for sports cars is low, and Toyota is struggling to shift GT86s at £25k) so it's lose-lose from a business perspective. Better the car exists but is aimed at a wealthier target audience than it not existing at all.

I'm looking forward to it though. It's probably worth pointing out that 250bhp-ish and 18-inch wheels aren't exactly extreme by modern standards anyway, when a typical hot hatch is running 19 or 20-inch wheels and making 300bhp+.

My '14 Megane 265 RS Trophy+ had SatNav,19s and a glass roof. Same performance as the 8.08 Special Edition Nurburgring record breaking car. Just heavier.
Renault Sport can do amazing things with "heavy" cars. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure we'll see more than enough comparison videos between the A110 vs TT, Cayman, etc.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the extra power and big wheels , just that all they do is mean that the only place you can push your car and start to have some fun is on a race track . If you tried to exploit even 50% of what your new hot hatch is capable of on a public road you'd spend the next 15 years in Guantanamo .

I wish they just made a car that complies with an existing series. Watching 20-odd same cars with different paintjobs isn't as exciting and following another series is a hassle.

I wish they just made a car that complies with an existing series. Watching 20-odd same cars with different paintjobs isn't as exciting and following another series is a hassle.

Here in France we have several manufacturer cups that are structured like that. But Signatech is making the cup racer, so there could be an evolvement towards an endurance class. GTE maybe?

Here in France we have several manufacturer cups that are structured like that. But Signatech is making the cup racer, so there could be an evolvement towards an endurance class. GTE maybe?

Exactly, is there a need for yet another one? Renault has the Clio Cup and the RS01 Trophy. Do they really need a 3rd?

As for Signatech, GTE seems a bit too much for the A110, I was thinking more along the lines of GT4.

Alpine A110 Cup
Alpine-A110-Cup-6.jpg
Alpine-A110-Cup-4.jpg

Set to enter competition next year, the A110 Cup will be eligible to compete in the Alpine Europa Cup which will consist of 12 races next year at tracks such as Paul Ricard, Silverstone, and Spa-Francorchamps.

Since the car was specifically designed for racing, the A110 Cup has been equipped with a revised suspension that features adjustable Öhlins shock absorbers and a 40mm (1.57 inches) reduced ride height. The car also boasts a roll cage and a high-performance Brembo braking system.

The interior has been stripped of non-essential equipment and drivers will find a Sabelt racing seat with a six-point harness. There is also high-tech XAP steering wheel which features paddle shifters, a digital instrument cluster, and controls that adjust the traction control and anti-lock braking system.

Power is provided by a turbocharged 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine which has been outfitted with a new air filter and a racing exhaust. Thanks to these modifications, it produces 270 PS (198 kW) and 320 Nm (236 lb-ft) of torque. The engine is connected to a six-speed sequential transmission which sends power to the rear wheels via a limited slip differential.

The 1,050 kg (2,314 lbs) race car will cost €100,000 ($116,618) and Alpine says a "little more than twenty cars" will be built for the first season. That's pretty expensive but the company said the model has been designed to provide "drivers with as much enjoyment as possible, whether they are beginners or experienced."
CarScoops

I like this Alpine A110 Cup Car. Not love it, but strongly like it. Great looking car.

A110 to be sold out of select Renault delearships in Melbourne and Sydney

RENAULT has announced that the long-awaited reborn Alpine A110 performance coupe will finally launch in Australia under its own standalone marque in the second half of 2018.

While pricing has yet to be confirmed, Renault Australia estimates it will arrive with a pricetag between $90,000 and $110,000 plus on-road costs, placing it against stiff competition from the likes of the BMW M2, Lotus Elise and Alfa Romeo 4C.

This gives me hope that some A110s could find themselves disappearing off to New Zealand as a result. :D

That's quite a bit of movement under brakes, can't wait to see a full field of them dicing about. :lol:

I do hope there's a series for them here. We don't get the Clio Cup and the 86s are everywhere. Besides, Renault have a good following in Australia.

Back