The Watch Discussion Thread

  • Thread starter Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,471 comments
  • 186,656 views
100%. I for example started with oversized Nixon watches. My mantra back then was "The bigger and bolder, the better". Had collected three of them. The smallest one had a 46 mm case, the other ones had 48 mm cases. After five years of rotating between them, I decided to sell them and get me a watch from a reputable and well known brand: the Tissot PRX (black dial / quartz). Bought it in 11/2022 and it's been basically my daily driver ever since, although two months ago I actually went ahead and struck a deal on a used Nixon watch again (albeit a way smaller watch, 42 mm is the case diameter). 40 - 42 mm is just my sweet spot. And, over the last few years I did do some research and just grew my interest in watches in general. For my next watch, I'm currently eyeing an HGP diver's watch. A pretty cool fact about them, is that they use the 844 Monnin case, that's been used for dive watches such as the Heuer 844 Diver.
I never got into the oversized craze that seemed to sweep the industry a few years back, it seems to be going back the other way now to more what would be considered more traditional sized watches.
It's all subjective of course but I think wrist size needs to be considered also.

My limit is 42mm which is where my Speedmaster is at but preferred is around 39mm which my is what my Black Bay 58 is and that feels like it's the perfect fit for me. I've many watches over the years but those two are pretty much my rotation now apart from a beaten up Seiko 5 for work duties.
 
I've headed down a bit of a watch rabbit hole again, so thought it was time for a post.

On my wrist right now, Tag Heuer Carrera....

IMG20260929194317.webp



...and in the box.
IMG20260929194258.webp


Starting from the top-left.

  1. Longines Flagship 7309 dress watch. Absurdly small in every way, 32mm case and a thickness of only 5.6mm!
  2. Rotary 3462 moon-phase, an 18th birthday present from my grandmother, so I've had this 38 years.
  3. Militado ML05. 38mm case, screw-down crown, AR sapphire crystal and a Japanese quartz movement. China's finest Hamilton-clone for a bargain price of £40 (this is a fantastic watch in all seriousness).
  4. Addiesdive Sports Watch. 44mm of AliExpress watch with a Miyota movement, a perfectly OK watch for knocking about with (and at £18 I can more than afford to wreck).
  5. No name tank watch I picked up someplace. It's cheap, it's got a crap movement in it, but with the thick leather strap I put on it I quite like the look of it.
  6. This Diesel (Fossil-made) I do not like at all, it's far too big and clunky, but one of my kids bought it for me, so it has to stay.
  7. Sekonda 1005 Chrono, I've had this ages and it's on about it's third strap. These are cheap (around £50) and a nice everyday watch.
  8. Seiko 7T92-0MH0, a tad smaller than the Sekonda and superlight thanks to the Titanium. Another that I have had for years and has been through multiple straps (these originally came with a stainless steel bracklet that I really disliked).
  9. SeaGull 1963. Newest addition to the collection, it's a Red Star version, so not official, but still a great watch for around a 1/4 of the price the Sea-Gulls go for.
 
Last edited:
Back