The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
TB
What is the general consensus on the Invicta brand?

Avoid!

Invicta are a controversial brand for two reasons:

1) They shamelessly copy other watch designs and then try to undercut the original ones.
2) They have found loopholes in the Swiss watchmaking rules which allow them to put "swiss made" on their watches, when they are in fact mostly Asian made. They do this as previously, to be considered a 'Swiss made' watch, more then 51% of the component value must be from Swiss made items and it must be assembled in Switzerland. Invicta use asian sourced components (cheap) and then use as few as possible Swiss components to tip the scales, and then case it up in Switzerland.

tl;dr = Friends don't let friends buy Invicta :D There are better options out there:

Not sure how much you want to spend or what style you want, but check out:
- Timex
- Seiko or or this one
- Casio Ediface

Wenger are also a good one to look at 👍

How are their reliability do you think? I was looking at their Rolex Submariner wannabe's, and they had a model that was as low as fifty-some dollars. However, there were number of people claiming that watch died with in months, or dead on arrival, even. I think some of their watches claimed that their movement were made in Japan, but the name(I forget) sounded third-rate. Miyota or something.

Wenger are also a good one to look at 👍
I have a coworker who swears by this watch, but look at these Amazon reviews. Do you think it's an isolated case? It is their entry level model. One my coworker has looks similar to this, except I think he said his was bit over $100.

How are their reliability do you think? I was looking at their Rolex Submariner wannabe's, and they had a model that was as low as fifty-some dollars. However, there were number of people claiming that watch died with in months, or dead on arrival, even. I think some of their watches claimed that their movement were made in Japan, but the name(I forget) sounded third-rate. Miyota or something.

I belong to a few watch forums and their Submariner homages have as many fans as detractors. You are correct, they use Miyota movements, which are the same movements Orient (a very respectable Japanese manufacturer) use in their watch. The difference is Orient are much more likely to have higher quality control in assembly of the watch movement compared to Invicta. It doesn't matter if it's the same movement basically, because the standard of assembly varies. Some guys claim that their Invicta is their most reliable watch, other's have had endless issues. It can be very hit and miss with their stuff.

I'd say it depends if $50 is a lot for you to spend on a watch - if it is, it may be a better idea to not take the risk that it will be a dud, leaving you eating your heart out at the expense. :) Let me know if you are looking for a submariner-look watch, I can dig around and find you some alternatives 👍

a6m5
I have a coworker who swears by this watch, but look at these Amazon reviews. Do you think it's an isolated case? It is their entry level model. One my coworker has looks similar to this, except I think he said his was bit over $100.
Hmm, Wenger is generally regarded as a solid entry level Swiss manufactured watch. I'd bear in mind that the Amazon reviews might be written by people who don't understand that they may be receiving a brand new watch that has been sitting in a warehouse for months - and if they get a flat battery, it's not a fault with the watch rather then just the battery.

Thanks for your take on this. 👍

I am starting to think that those Invicta watches were sort of hit & miss, like you said. We'll see if TB bought that gunmetal watch. :P

I couldn't agree more on Amazon, or any online reviews in general. I do rely heavily on them, but always take them with grain of salt. Even if those one star reviews were on the mark for that particular Wenger, I'm getting the impression that this is an isolated case for the brand. Amazon reviews can often serve as decent indicators, but unless it's dominated by negative reviews or something, they don't necessarily mean that you might share the same negative experience. 👍

a6m5
We'll see if TB bought that gunmetal watch. :P
I was about ready to last night but held off. After reading Brad's comments, I'm quite glad I did. 👍

I'll have a look at the recent Seiko, Citizen and Wenger lines and see if anything catches my eye.

TB
I was about ready to last night but held off. After reading Brad's comments, I'm quite glad I did. 👍

I'll have a look at the recent Seiko, Citizen and Wenger lines and see if anything catches my eye.
Oh, good. I was getting ready to brace myself. j/k :lol: I'm sure it would've been fine, but you never know!

P.S. Brad? He has a real name you know? Mike Rotch, and don't you forget it! Pure class. :P

Mike Rotch
I belong to a few watch forums and their Submariner homages have as many fans as detractors.

Though I don't belong on any watch forums myself, I've definitely browsed through a couple, and there's a ton of good information on there. I would definitely recommend doing research on those boards.

An Aviator, really fits me since I want to be a pilot :dunce:

20110330_153449_aviator-watch-AVW7770G58.jpg

12212-9lvyl0_l.jpg

Bought it off a Singapore Airlines flight. Unfortunately, the crystal has a scratch on the top (due to falling from about 10 meters up, stupid mistake of mine :( ).

Apart from that, it runs great, never needed to reset it except for the calendar. Has survived about 5 hours in salty water with no signs of corrosion.

For the looks, it really caught my eye, and works as a chick magnet at times :sly: 👍

The world time detail is a really interesting gimmick, and it actually works :dopey:

Just that scratch on the crystal :(

An Aviator, really fits me since I want to be a pilot :dunce:

Cool watch - Aviator is actually a legitimate Russian brand manufactured by a company called Volmax. They do a few other Russian brands too - Buran, Sturmanskie, Poljot (I have one - see second pic) and Dennisov. Sturmanskie is famous for its "Gagarin" watch, which was the model worn by Yuri and has the claim of being the first watch into space :). Suck that Omega :D:

sturmanskie_classic2002_gre.jpg

It's pretty damn hard to get any of those watches, with only a few legit websites offering them like this one (see menu on the left for Aviator).

I can't find your model as this site only offers manual and automatic ones....As for your crystal, you might be lucky if its the same size as another brands watch. If so, a watchmaker can swap it out easily, but if its a unique shape, you might struggle to find a replacement one given the watches scarcity.

scaled.php

(the bolded text starting with "A" spells aviator in cyrillic 👍 ).

a6m5
Pure class
7nTnr.png

:sly:

Interesting to know that about Aviator watches, it definitely has high build quality and seems to have stood up to everything except the 10-meter drop :ouch: 👍

If it helps, the crystal is 39mm in diameter, 1mm thick, bulges ever so slightly outwards, and it's circular, so I believe you can find it as a standard size.

I think replacing the crystal would be better than spending another 200 bucks on a new watch, since I personally find that watch to be the best-looking among the bunch. That being said, Sri Lankan Airlines has them for USD159 :lol:

Last edited:
A Track-Time 2 hand.

2-hand.jpg

My grandad got it free when he bought a more expensive watch from them, and this is perfect for school. Radio controlled, has the date, also pretty tough (a few scratches but I don't look after it) and I love it.

Seven years later, and I've downgraded to a $24* Timex...I prefer simple watches that draw no attention to themselves. It's lasted three years. I don't know why, but I like the font for the numbers.

41GBHZPSlrL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

When traveling around time zones, I tend to trust my phone a lot more than before.

* Yes, it was cheaper at Target than Amazon...Go figure.

Last edited:
I've scraped the stainless steel/brass more than a few times, but haven't put a nick nor mark on the glass face of the watch; amazing since there's no raised bezel to protect it from my unfettered idiocy, bumbling wrists of fury, mysteriously laid-out hotel furniture, nor children.

My watch

img20120717221453.jpg

:D

Joke aside i've lost a Seiko and a Swatch Chronograph and the last watch i broke was a real nice Seiko Sports Chronograph so no more watches for me.

Seven years later, and I've downgraded to a $24* Timex...I prefer simple watches that draw no attention to themselves. It's lasted three years. I don't know why, but I like the font for the numbers.

41GBHZPSlrL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

When traveling around time zones, I tend to trust my phone a lot more than before.

* Yes, it was cheaper at Target than Amazon...Go figure.

I actually like that one. Clean design, and the price is definitely right. 👍

I like it too. Clean and to the point. I actually like watches with this color face with easy to read black numbers. It also shows that an economical watch can still be a great watch.

👍

So far, I'm not too crazy about automatic watches, but I have a question: Automatics have no electronics, right?

Because I'm thinking automatics are survival watches. It will be unaffected by electromagnetic pulse, and will never need batteries. :dopey:

I'm not a survivalist or anything, but I do like reading & watching about it. :lol:

So far, I'm not too crazy about automatic watches, but I have a question: Automatics have no electronics, right?

Because I'm thinking automatics are survival watches. It will be unaffected by electromagnetic pulse, and will never need batteries. :dopey:

I'm not a survivalist or anything, but I do like reading & watching about it. :lol:

How come (the sentiment towards auto...just curious 👍 )?

Auto's have no electronics you are right, but by virtue of being mechanical and relying on meshing of gears and precise alignment of cams and balance wheels, they can suffer if subjected to heavy knocks. That said, all watches used in WWI and WWII where mechanical, without today's technology :dopey:.

In day's gone by, army branches used mechanical watches (Panerai, Submariners for example) but these days it is hard to look past G-Shock type watches for armed services. Marathon (provider of watches for US Coast Guard) do have automatic version of their SAR (Search-and-Rescue) models, but they are frightfully expensive for what they are.

I tried manually winding, but it seems that my watch doesn't have that capability. :crazy: Now, every time I check time, I'm looking for a clock to make sure the watch hasn't stopped. :dopey:

I suppose it's just matter of getting used to it. I do trust Seiko name, so I'm sure it will keep on ticking, as long as I wear it at least every other day.

Thanks for the info, it's disturbing how much you know about watches. j/k :lol:

I took my Skagen in to get fixed this afternoon and they told probably 3 weeks, not wanting to go without a watch that long I figured I'd browse the cases. I ended up with a Seiko Solar SNE168 just because I thought it looked rather cool. It's got a stainless steel black ion plated case and band and is trimmed with gold plate. It's not in the typical style I wear, but it's different and looks pretty smart with business casual.

l_sne168.jpg

While at the jewelry store I also tried on a couple Momo Design watches, which are pretty awesome. They are reasonably priced too between $800-$1,200 for some of the nicer ones. I really fell in love with the Jet Chrono, especially with the green dial.

jet.jpg

Boy, those watches are really cool, but bit too playful for that kind of price, at least for my wallet!

Tzun
[Edit]: Can someone make that link work? Its hard by phone.
As I am also on a phone my "fix"isn't very pretty but at least the link works (you were missing the 'h' at the very beginning).

Also, I've been looking at watches on and off for the last week and I keep going back to that Invicta. I haven't found anything I like better, or even as much as, for less than $400 and that's just not going to happen.

Sorry, Mr. Rotch. :(

I don't wear one because I refuse to become a slave of time. You see all those people, rushing about their lives, chasing the empty pot of gold, at the end of the long, long rainbow? I don't want to live a life like that, but as hard as I try not to, I still use my phone to check the time wherever I go, and end up getting caught in the race.

TB
As I am also on a phone my "fix"isn't very pretty but at least the link works (you were missing the 'h' at the very beginning).

Also, I've been looking at watches on and off for the last week and I keep going back to that Invicta. I haven't found anything I like better, or even as much as, for less than $400 and that's just not going to happen.

Sorry, Mr. Rotch. :(

The best watch is one you enjoy wearing, not one you think others will enjoy seeing you in ;).

Post some pics when you get it :cheers:

Sorry, Tzun. It seems to be a link to a google search, but I can't figure it out.

Invicta watches are cool looking. I've never been interested in Rolexes until I was shopping for my last watch. Submariners. My god. :drool: And while I could never afford the real thing, Invicta does have knockoffs. I'm just sayin'....... :P
I don't wear one because I refuse to become a slave of time. You see all those people, rushing about their lives, chasing the empty pot of gold, at the end of the long, long rainbow? I don't want to live a life like that, but as hard as I try not to, I still use my phone to check the time wherever I go, and end up getting caught in the race.
Empty pot of what!? My watches are important tools. Critical, really. I use them to maximize slack time, and limit work to minimum. Try again! ;)

Back