The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments

A Christmas gift from my parents. It's a lot larger than my old watch and the silicone strap took a bit of getting used to but it is very comfortable and I don't notice the greater weight of it on my wrist anymore.

I doubt I'll ever buy a new watch. No matter how much I have to spend on repairs in the years to come.

It's quartz, so the only repairs you'd ever have to consider are changing the battery every couple of years 👍

Wore this one for about two years still working :)
1265889064-95913100.jpg

A few weeks after my grandfather passed away I had lunch with my grandmother for the first time again and she suddenly placed 3 of his watches on the table. She said I should pick one and I picked this one, knowing it's the one he's been wearing until he passed away. Quite literally, he had it on when he passed away in the hospital at the age of almost 93. And that's why I picked that one.

I have since engraved his name and the year of his birth and death on the backside and I doubt I'll ever buy a new watch. No matter how much I have to spend on repairs in the years to come.

Just get it cleaned occasionally and you'll be fine.

Tissot's are nice watches too, so not only is it a good memory, but you'll be wearing a good watch to boot.

Both for daily use in spite of their noticeable value spread...
Many more (Tissot, Certina, CK, ...) to which I don`t have access in my office. :P

Swatch New Gent "Black Lacquered" - almost unreadable but with a cool look IMAO... :lol:

Omega Speedmaster Automatic with triple calendar and AM/PM indicator

See ad from that time.
188775d1243015086-series-get-omega-speedmaster-michael-schumacher-1996-1997-ad-resized2-small.jpg

The negative display of the military 6900 was not readable enough, so I swapped it for the standard GW 6900 1ER. It has multiband 6 as a bonus :)

1771_545058825506641_1086025428_n.jpg

You wear a $6,000 watch? I like expensive watches but anything more than about $2,500 seemed a bit much to me.

I use a Breitling Navtimer with leather band (the one on the left)
images

Given your history in the Ludicrous Claims thread, I call BS.

I am happy to be proved incorrect mind you, if you can produce a wrist-shot with a GTP note in frame.

Given your history in the Ludicrous Claims thread, I call BS.

I am happy to be proved incorrect mind you, if you can produce a wrist-shot with a GTP note in frame.

Especially since it isn't a Navtimer, but rather a Navitimer. It looks to be a Navitimer World too, but I'm not sure what the Heritage looks like off the top of my head.

I'm with you though, I have a bit of a hard time believing someone who says they have a $6,000 watch.

Especially since it isn't a Navtimer, but rather a Navitimer. It looks to be a Navitimer World too, but I'm not sure what the Heritage looks like off the top of my head.

I'm with you though, I have a bit of a hard time believing someone who says they have a $6,000 watch.

Its a limited edition Navitimer. Limited to 500 pieces and retailing for $9,000 judging more closely by the small pic posted.

Seems legit :lol:

Its a limited edition Navitimer. Limited to 500 pieces and retailing for $9,000 judging more closely by the small pic posted.

Seems legit :lol:

:lol: I wasn't aware of that edition. Ya that seems a bit far fetched since I'm guessing they were gobbled up by collectors really quick.

Pretty sure one could be had for around $40 in Thailand. Just like my Tag Grand Carrera. Be careful not to drop it though as the face will instantly turn into thousands of slivers of glass. :lol:

Cheers Shaun.

photonrider
Hold on now . . . whats the cap for GTPlaneteers?
Or is Ace just slumming?

C'mon Ace - don't be lazy; ante up. ;)

I can get you some actual pics, that one I just pulled from the web. But no, its real.

And it was $6.4K, not 9

What cap?

Ive been looking at this:

Techno Marine Moonsun. In matte black for a while. Google it, you think I should buy?

No time to Google - I subscribe to the Dupont mag. :lol:

By 'cap', Ace - I meant: "Is there a limit as to how 'rich' a GTPlaneteer can be?"

I don't think so. I don't have to be 'poor' to be on here. Nor do you. In fact you may have even travelled to el Segundo . . . and I'll believe you. ;)

Now - you know that I know your history ( ;) ) so I don't doubt anything you say - typos and all - so I wasn't really pressing you . . . just kidding around. 👍

There's plenty of people around here to press you when the job so requires, and that's up to them. :)

photonrider
No time to Google - I subscribe to the Dupont mag. :lol:

By 'cap', Ace - I meant: "Is there a limit as to how 'rich' a GTPlaneteer can be?"

I don't think so. I don't have to be 'poor' to be on here. Nor do you. In fact you may have even travelled to el Segundo . . . and I'll believe you. ;)

Now - you know that I know your history ( ;) ) so I don't doubt anything you say - typos and all - so I wasn't really pressing you . . . just kidding around. 👍

There's plenty of people around here to press you when the job so requires, and that's up to them. :)

And a theres no limit to how rich your Parents can be ;)

Fair 'nuff. ;)

And el Segundo was pretty nice back then! Hydraracer still lives!

I can get you some actual pics, that one I just pulled from the web. But no, its real.

And it was $6.4K, not 9

What cap?

Ive been looking at this:

Techno Marine Moonsun. In matte black for a while. Google it, you think I should buy?

So you bought a limited edition watch for $3,000 less than retail? Ya that doesn't happen. The regular Breitling Navitimer World retails for about $6,400 but you posted a picture of the Blue Sky, which is a limited edition.

I'll be waiting on pictures because right now your claim isn't really adding up.

A Technomarine seems way more believable since $1,200 for a watch really isn't out of the question and is on the cheaper end for high end watches.

I know plenty of folk with really expensive watches. Hell, I was even granted a £3'000 Rolex as a 21st present and my family were pretty poor at the time, that said, it comes out of it's box for about <20 days of the year because I'm worried about messing it up or losing it.

Still, if the last bout of ludicrous claims was anything to go by I'll assume my usual position on this one...

mj_popcorn.gif

Joey D
So you bought a limited edition watch for $3,000 less than retail? Ya that doesn't happen. The regular Breitling Navitimer World retails for about $6,400 but you posted a picture of the Blue Sky, which is a limited edition.

I'll be waiting on pictures because right now your claim isn't really adding up.

A Technomarine seems way more believable since $1,200 for a watch really isn't out of the question and is on the cheaper end for high end watches.

I dont have the limited edition one, just the regular. I posted that pic because it was the first one I found

Usually I wear a radio clock of a Japanese manufacturer "Casio" whenever I go out somewhere with casual wears, which costed about 9,800 yen in Japanese currency...

I dont have the limited edition one, just the regular. I posted that pic because it was the first one I found

As I said to you when you "forgot" to put pictures up of the model cars you had claimed to own in the Ludicrous Claims thread:

Unless there are new fangled clocks with more then 24 hours on them; you missed your chance. It's your credibility bud....

So at this point in time, you don't have a watch. But you do have a story.

Mike Rotch
As I said to you when you "forgot" to put pictures up of the model cars you had claimed to own in the Ludicrous Claims thread:

So at this point in time, you don't have a watch. But you do have a story.

I didnt forget! Check-ith the model thread

I'm actually due a new 'work' watch so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to suggest and I'll be grateful. It needs to be reasonably priced (around £50) and hard wearing.

I do have a Sekonda which gave up it's battery. Was a really nice watch but it needs the strap replacing also and for the time it'll take me to get it fixed I might as well look into a new one.

I'm actually due a new 'work' watch so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to suggest and I'll be grateful. It needs to be reasonably priced (around £50) and hard wearing.

I do have a Sekonda which gave up it's battery. Was a really nice watch but it needs the strap replacing also and for the time it'll take me to get it fixed I might as well look into a new one.

I've always liked Skagen's minimalist designs, and they're reasonably priced, but I have no idea about the quality. Another option I've noticed around here lately are customized Timex watches. They're cheapish too. There's a store in town that offers a few non-customized ones (linky) that I like too.

As for my watch collection... it's just one, and I haven't worn it in two years since I keep forgetting to buy a new strap. It's a square Fendi I got from an ex as an anniversary gift. No idea where those stand in the grand scheme of things, but I liked it. I keep looking up older Tags online and promise myself I'll self-gift as a grad present, but reasonably, I won't :P

Back