The Watch Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Silverzone
  • 1,456 comments
I've always liked Skagen's minimalist designs

Those are very similar to my current 'everyday' watch and I really like that style. I've looked into some Swatch watches but found nothing I'm keen on. I'll have a mooch around the webz to see what prices I can get on a Skagen. đź‘Ť

Just found this for less than ÂŁ50 which is exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for. Might have to pick one up next time I'm online shopping.

T1P3MjXjpbXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_210x210.jpg

I know plenty of folk with really expensive watches. Hell, I was even granted a ÂŁ3'000 Rolex as a 21st present and my family were pretty poor at the time, that said, it comes out of it's box for about <20 days of the year because I'm worried about messing it up or losing it.

I have and had fancy watches in the past so it's not impossible, but Breitlings are just so stupidly overpriced it's often hard to believe claims of people owning them. I know watch collectors that won't even buy them because they can't justify a $6,000+ watch.

I dont have the limited edition one, just the regular. I posted that pic because it was the first one I found

I'd still like to see a picture of your watch because it is a bit unbelievable, unless of course it is a knock off.

I've always liked Skagen's minimalist designs, and they're reasonably priced, but I have no idea about the quality. Another option I've noticed around here lately are customized Timex watches. They're cheapish too. There's a store in town that offers a few non-customized ones (linky) that I like too.

Skagen's are fantastic watches. I daily a Skagen 750XLSTXM that my girlfriend bought for me a couple years ago.

SKAGEN-750XLSTXM.jpg

I've considered picking up another one since they sell them at Costco at a pretty good discount and quality watches at a discount is something you shouldn't pass up.

When I need to dress up a little more than the Skagen though I typically go for my Seiko Solar V157 in black chrome.

===

I've started looking at watches again since I promised myself once I got a real job I'd buy myself one. I've gone back to the Momo Design Jet Chrono that I looked at once before, but I'm having a hard time justifying a watch that will look ridiculous at work. There are a couple Tissots I've been looking at too and there's always a low-end Tag.

I'd still like to see a picture of your watch because it is a bit unbelievable
Makes two of us.

Joey D
There are a couple Tissots I've been looking at too and there's always a low-end Tag.
You should check out Hamilton đź‘Ť

Theoretically they are an American brand (started out as one, but now owned by Swatch - same as Tag) and they have a wide range of very good looking watches, auto and battery, depending on your preference.

Their quality is excellent for their price point.

I'd still like to see a picture of your watch because it is a bit unbelievable, unless of course it is a knock off.
Makes two of us.

Make that three.

Theoretically they are an American brand (started out as one, but now owned by Swatch - same as Tag) and they have a wide range of very good looking watches, auto and battery, depending on your preference.

Hamilton's a good suggestion. They've got some decently classy watches that are pretty simple and elegant. Nice to know that they don't break the bank too.

I'm probably going to pick up a Hamilton myself as the next watch.

Funny you should mention that, they parked a plane outside my office yesterday morning right outside Omega. :)

I've spent the last hour trying to upload the pic I took with no success. Guess it'll have to wait until later.

How much is a Hammy watch?

Depends on what you are looking for.

One of their cheapest quartz "formal" watches - the Jazzmaster thinline is under $200:

51eKwb-6crL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Their range starts at around this price.

A few hundred can land you a Khaki:

26_587_120.jpg

Their Below Zero automatic chronograph is about $1800:

below-zero-chronograph-colorvariation2.jpg

They have a huge range of automatic watches at or around $1000:

Jazzmaster Chrono:

396611d1298997691-my-first-real-watch-please-help-automatic-chronograph-hamiltonjazzmasterautochronoh326-9.jpg

068_hamilton_jazzmaster.jpg

Or for something more classical:

s62_hamilton_jazzmaster.jpg

Dammit. Their prices have really come down in the last 6 months....:grumpy:. Strength Crotchy...you have a loftier target in mind!

Last edited:
I'm actually due a new 'work' watch so if anyone has any suggestions feel free to suggest and I'll be grateful. It needs to be reasonably priced (around ÂŁ50) and hard wearing.

I do have a Sekonda which gave up it's battery. Was a really nice watch but it needs the strap replacing also and for the time it'll take me to get it fixed I might as well look into a new one.

Get a Casio G shock with tough solar. Never needs a new battery. Well, never, at least long enough before you want a new one.

Get a Casio G shock with tough solar. Never needs a new battery. Well, never, at least long enough before you want a new one.

I had a peek at the G-Shocks but when buying things like that in China the majority of them are good fakes, hard to tell from originals because they are such a popular item. I'd have to go to the Casio shop which charges far more that retail price.

I had a peek at the G-Shocks but when buying things like that in China the majority of them are good fakes, hard to tell from originals because they are such a popular item. I'd have to go to the Casio shop which charges far more that retail price.

Yeah I know. A collegue buys fakes because he wants a cheap watch. Still ticks after 2 years.

How does the Casio shop charges more than the retail price? I mean, there are enough on line shops were you can buy real ones for good prices.

And what might that be if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers Shaun.

The official watch of the Russian Space program; the Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut Day/Date :D

IMG_1592.jpg

I already have the white faced version, now I want the black one. :grumpy:

How does the Casio shop charges more than the retail price? I mean, there are enough on line shops were you can buy real ones for good prices.

China has a luxury goods tax and high street retailers and/ or big brands often be more than an online shop which can dodge the taxation.

My missus has a Baby G she bought for around ÂŁ3 and wears often, despite owning a smart collection of around 8 ÂŁ100+ each Swatch watches and people still compliment her on it. It's a pretty good snide but the bright purple colour is a bit of an eyesore. :yuck:

The official watch of the Russian Space program; the Fortis B-42 Cosmonaut Day/Date :D

I already have the white faced version, now I want the black one. :grumpy:

Nice, I like it. đź‘Ť
You can never have too many watches. ;)

Cheers Shaun.

I'm contemplating buying a new watch, must admit I'm a watch lover on a budget (no Mike Rotch-style collection in my home unfortunately ;)).

Currently I own a Diesel which has served me well and I really like their designs (at least a selection of them), so I narrowed it down to these 2 so far, the first one however is hard to source and currently seems unavailable or out of stock over here, at least that'll make the decision easier I guess (and the first one might be a tad too big for me as well).

Diesel-Watches-DZ4184fw800fh800.png

DZ149602.jpg

We used to get vintage Hamilton's in at the jewelry store I worked at. I also wanted to get a Ventura but never had the money for one. I probably should start looking at one again though, I think it's one of the coolest designs on a watch you can get. I know a lower end modern one is about $600 which isn't too bad.

I don't understand the appeal of G-Shock's, they are massive and chunky.

Some models are indeed massive and chunky. That is their appeal. And they are bullet proof.

G shocks aviator series are reletive new and offer anologue appeal. I am a sucker for the multiband 6 and tough solar technology. Alwayst the correct time and never battery replacement.

Three cheers for diversity!

I am still rockin' the Seiko Coutura (Kinetic Perpetual Cal. 7D48)
l_snp007.jpg