The Weather Thread

• Thread starter dbartucci
  • 12,561 comments
We are not quite that cold here, but it is the probably near the coldest it has been in the last ten years. Oklahoma set it's record cold ten years, one day ago and we are going to get close to it over the next few days.

It has been several many years that the snow doesn't melt immediately. It feels like a proper winter.
Blue sky, freezing t° and a beautiful snowy landscape. I love it.

High of 4°F today, it was -8°F last night. Supposed to gradually get warmer throughout the week and be closer to "normal" temperatures.

Going to be a fun drive into work here in about four hours. I should probably go to bed.

In short, still single digits here, and now we are getting up to 10 inches of snow in the next 36 hours.

Action Recommended
Make preparations per the instructions
Issued By
St. Louis - MO, US, National Weather Service
Affected Area
Portions of east central and southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois
Description
...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT CST MONDAY NIGHT... ...WIND CHILL ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM CST TUESDAY... WHAT...For the Winter Storm Warning, heavy snow. Additional snow accumulations of 4 to 10 inches. For the Wind Chill Advisory, very cold wind chills. Wind chills as low as 20 below zero. WHERE...Portions of east central and southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois. WHEN...For the Winter Storm Warning, until midnight CST Monday night. For the Wind Chill Advisory, until 6 AM CST Tuesday. IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning and evening commutes on Monday. The cold wind chills could result in hypothermia if precautions are not taken.

Last edited:
This summer has been very mild so far. I had to dig out a hoodie from the bottom of the wardrobe this morning because the wind was so freakin cold. :lol: Shame more summers aren't like this one.

Screenshot_2021-02-15 Quirindi Local Weather Forecast Elders Weather.png

Last edited:
Not only are we Texans unprepared to drive in the snow, but apparently, our electrical grid is a bit setback as well. Rolling black outs for 15 minutes every hour across parts of the metroplex. Don't know if this is a common theme in the states used to making snow just a normal day, but this is a new world to us every few times it happens in a decade. Thank goodness I've got a generator on the house & just paid it off this summer.

Right now 8 degrees. Snow is supposed to disappear this morning, but there's a warning for the low temps. staying til' tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Our high today is apparently 6°F. Right now, it is -6°F with a wind chill of -28°F. After getting 8"-12" of snow yesterday, we might have a little more snow this morning. Apparently another big round of snow will be coming Tuesday/Tuesday night/Wednesday. The dogs did not like their bathroom trip in the backyard this morning.

Our high today is apparently 6°F. Right now, it is -6°F with a wind chill of -28°F. After getting 8"-12" of snow yesterday, we might have a little more snow this morning. Apparently another big round of snow will be coming Tuesday/Tuesday night/Wednesday. The dogs did not like their bathroom trip in the backyard this morning.
Keep it above the Red River, please.

Dog wise, 1 dog loves the snow. The other is less than pleased to follow me out into it.

Keep it above the Red River, please.

Dog wise, 1 dog loves the snow. The other is less than pleased to follow me out into it.

I would prefer no more snow. I really do not want to have to wait another week to get my first round of COVID vaccine because of more snow incoming.

Our dogs generally like playing in the snow. I think this is different and too cold compared to the other snow they have played in.

You guys in near-by states with your snow. All I've seen is sleet & freezing rain. Our trees & power lines would prefer snow.

Not only are we Texans unprepared to drive in the snow ...

I find it funny how snowbirds get so cocky and belittle southerners when snowfall hits. They take their state's/country's preparedness for granted and are usually the ones spun out in a ditch somewhere.

Last edited:
Not only are we Texans unprepared to drive in the snow, but apparently, our electrical grid is a bit setback as well. Rolling black outs for 15 minutes every hour across parts of the metroplex. Don't know if this is a common theme in the states used to making snow just a normal day, but this is a new world to us every few times it happens in a decade. Thank goodness I've got a generator on the house & just paid it off this summer.

From what i've read it's because Texas has its own power grid not linked to the rest of the country. When you get a sudden surge in usage, you don't have the ability to draw extra from other parts of the country like other states do.

Last edited:
From what i've read it's because Texas has its own power grid not linked to the rest of the country. When you get a sudden surge in usage, you don't have the ability to draw extra from other parts of the country like other states do.
I read that earlier as well. Which is funny, because last night elsewhere on the web, I read a comment about Texas needs its own power grid b/c of - insert asinine theory here - . Best left the details for the politics forum.

Work told us that we would be starting 2 hours late. Now I know why. It would take a couple of hours just to thaw out a vehicle. :lol:

Cars iced.jpg

They decided shortly thereafter to cancel again. Guess I'll be working on Saturday. :irked:

Right now 8 degrees. Snow is supposed to disappear this morning, but there's a warning for the low temps. staying til' tomorrow morning.
Found this.

It would take a couple of hours just to thaw out a vehicle.
Fifteen minutes tops.

Brush the snow off while the engine is warming up with the defrost on.

- - - - -

Looks like this weekend we're finally getting a break from the below zero nonsense so I can finally use the new smoker. :D

We got another 4" to 6" of snow over night. Bringing our total for this winter storm to around 12" to 14" of snow. February 15 was the coldest day in Oklahoma history with a statewide average of -0.4°F. Fortunately, it looks like we are going to be around 40°F this weekend and somewhere in the 50s next week.

TB
Fifteen minutes tops.

Brush the snow off while the engine is warming up with the defrost on.

You gotta be able to open the door first. :P We got over a quarter of an inch of ice on Monday. Although it did take about 15 minutes to get the door unfrozen & run the car’s defroster, even though we still had to scrape some of the ice off.

Or you could put some vaseline or something similar on the rubbers around the door opening of your car.

You just have to give the door a couple strategically placed love taps and it will open right up!

With door handles being made out of plastic, that's a gamble. At least with the hot water, I know I've got all of the strategic spots because I hit every spot. :lol:

Or you could put some vaseline or something similar on the rubbers around the door opening of your car.

22cae582-dd5d-494b-ac82-240c28c85a09_text.gif

:lol:

Back