The Weekly Arcade Time Attack

• Thread starter GT Pro
  • 230 comments
As I was gaining on 16th, Earth swooped in and took it from me. 1'17'763 New time, I think I will hang it up for the week..Keep making too many mistakes in the esses...which is where all of the time I need to lose to beat you faster guys. Rest of the track, perfect..the esses..geez I just don't know how P1 gets such a good run out of T2...

1'17.672

First split was a 32.348. Lost .4 of the .5 gap to Timpaaq in the hairpins.

I don't know, I don't like the physics through the hairpins. I was stuck in the 18s until I watched Sphinx's ghost and saw how he stayed tight arond the second hairpin. I tried that along with staying in 3rd gear for more corners and I got into the 17s.

Every time I try to take the exit of the second hairpin wide I always lose time to Sphinx's ghost. I don't get it, you would think taking a wider exit would help the car not bog down as much. I noticed Timpaaq tried a wider exit and it worked for him. The physics are kind of odd at low speeds. I tried going in very wide to some of the hairpins that didn't have banking that discouraged it and I only got slower. I don't get it.

I also hate how if you touch the grass even for a split second with one tire even at 25mph it feels like you only have the grip of 3 tires, minus the one that is in the grass. It can cost you valuable tenths. Is that realistic? Maybe, maybe not.

And it doesn't help I have a heavy right foot and this car understeers like crazy when given a healthy dose of throttle.

Anyways I like this track. It's a drivers track. Knowledge of racing line etc can help you after the hairpins. I would like to race everyone with the same car on the track with the same setup. It would be fun.

It's also dissappointing to know that American drivers like me, Vaxen and CWR can get close to Sphinx's and other GT Academy driver times at this track, but we are not given the opportunity of the GT Academy. Sphinx you are what, in the top 3 of the Academy time trial? But if we were given an Academy they should take the top 100 American times because the United State's population is 5x that of Great Britain

Like CWR I'm finished. I spent about 2 hours tonight with this. I usually hate time trials but I found this kind of fun. The car didn't handle like junk with S2 tires like the Corvette in sjaak's time trial so it was OK.

I have been struggling in the Academy with T1, and now I think I know 85% how it should be driven.. Those german boys know the rest, but I'm unable to see their replays. For me, it's just a matter of dropping the front wheel just in a right way (not too much!!) so the wheels "inner wall" hugs with the tarmac edge ---> this gives you momentum. ..adding this right way to give throttle (Sphinx).

In the last hairpin, it just a matter of right line and proggressive throttle use (use the edge here too and when starting to turn, for a brief 0.5sec no throttle at all). Best line that I've found goes just inside the tyre marks there, and don't waste time at the 3rd hairpin, break loose as soon as possible.

Don't know if this helps any, or is needed, but I just felt like sharing something.. :) ..I guess I slept well.

edit: see the replays and watch the inner front tyre.

Timppaq
I have been struggling in the Academy with T1, and now I think I know 85% how it should be driven.. Those german boys know the rest, but I'm unable to see their replays. For me, it's just a matter of dropping the front wheel just in a right way (not too much!!) so the wheels "inner wall" hugs with the tarmac edge ---> this gives you momentum. ..adding this right way to give throttle (Sphinx).

That is the key, however move two feet away from the grass in a hairpin and you lose .1 just like that

And did I mention Sphinx's ghost is always faster down the front straight? That's another .050 I lose right there.

Timppaq
In the last hairpin, it just a matter of right line and proggressive throttle use (use the edge here too and when starting to turn, for a brief 0.5sec no throttle at all). Best line that I've found goes just inside the tyre marks there, and don't waste time at the 3rd hairpin, break loose as soon as possible.

My style through the last hairpin is just to let the car roll until it's time to hit the gas. Again, I have a heavy right foot and it's hard for me to adjust to a power understeer FF car on a tight twisty track.

So here is my replay. And BTW, my best T1 split is something like a 32.090 which is still about a tenth off of where I need to be.

Also take advantage out of those slopes in the track ---> use the extra grip while you have it. This can be applied in many spots.

edit: Too much rolling on free loses time, of course, so you should try to minimize that (but that ~0.5sec I said, I've found to be a key to that corner) . Have you noticed that 1/2 throttle, you car turns right as good as with 0% throttle, but you will accelerate 40% better when you step on it again.

ok... let's make it 15%...lol.

edit: the front straight: ..different line starting the hotlap than finishing it, this is no news, I guess. 3rd gear, wide entry. Turn in on the grey mark on the left (the asphalt ends or something, near the red+white flag), don't slam the throttle, but push it down fast.

Best I've had on the line was 129/130km/h

Also take advantage out of those slopes in the track ---> use the extra grip while you have it. This can be applied in many spots.

edit: Too much rolling on free loses time, of course, so you should try to minimize that (but that ~0.5sec I said, I've found to be a key to that corner) . Have you noticed that 1/2 throttle, you car turns right as good as 0% throttle, but you will accelerate 40% better when you step on it again.

ok... let's make it 25%...lol.

Yes I have, it drives me nuts. The physics are just everywhere. Another example is taking a wide exit out of the slow corners slows you down instead of speeding you up. I'm guessing/hoping it has something to do with the car being Front wheel drive

I will try giving the car some gas through the final hairpin.

And how do I upload my replay? Winrar works but the file size limit is 100kbs the replay is 123kbs. You could critique me better if you saw my lap. The zip files keep saying they are damaged.

edit: I give up with trying to upload the replay. somehow several folders and items become one file when i zip everything. I dont know.

Attachments

• EarthEigerIntegra.zip.zip
    122.7 KB · Views: 10
Rankings updated (I think they are all correct, but nonetheless we've now 22 entries in less than 3 days!).
Im actually thinking of maybe streamlining the series of events to maybe Monday - Thursday; Friday - Sunday etc. as I want to get through more than 52 events per year. We will see what happens however, and how many people get involved in this movement.

I am all for that, I want to desimate the TT with GTP..its quite the amusing sight to see over 25 GTP in the top 100.

Earth, I would be interested to see how many good NTSC players we have out there. As I don't see all that many US tags in the TT, which are mostly dominated by JP and Euros. I fear, just as the Fairlady TT at Eiger I will not beable to drive it as fast as others.

So when GT Academy comes to America and company I will be ready, other than that I am horriable at driving tight race cars.. My Best time in T1 is 32.3, but somehow I end up losing all that with mistakes because I sike myself out. I've had 1'17.5 wrapped up before, but I messed it all up in the final corner..So I can go faster, its just hitting the marks extremly perfect.

I have completed over 100 laps, while I do get faster each day, I fear I Need to learn a lot more about pacience and driving tight cars.

So, hands down, you guys in the .200 and the .100 range, you guys are truely the masters at getting these poor handling cars to turn just a little bit faster than the average joe. I commend you with your efforts, which only inspires me to be a better driver.

Thanks.

C Dub

ok, and one more thing just for the record. Remember to set your brake balance.. I use F=3 R=8 ;)

CWR the way I look at it is I'm half a second off the fastest drivers in the world.

Sphinx, Mr. P, those guys have been hotlapping in GT for years now. How long as the WRS been going on now? 150 weeks? They know how to push a car to it's limit. There's no shame in losing to them at their own game.

Timpaaq Vaxen etc these are elite, hardcore drivers. Nothing like the driftwood you find in pick up races.

Some have even just spent the last few weeks hotlapping at Eiger for the GT Academy so they already had a head start.

There's nothing to hang your head down about. Look how many are behind us not only in the GTP list in the first post but in the online rankings. We're ranked 16 and 17 out of how many, 1,500+?

Besides, if you're a tiny bit off the pace in one car what makes you think it will be the same in another car and or track?

Oh and there's plenty of fast NTSC drivers. Just take a look at ANGELx's suzuka 600pp lap times and race times in Timpaaq's thread. A couple of days ago I saw Div and Hamilton glued to the bumper of his R8 in a Subaru and NSX so they're right there with him.

If you (in general) like to see how fast you are, take arcade TT, Eiger, 350Z with s2's. There's some times.. :) (haven't checked, but I guess the german superman's have their share of the leaderboard.) ..I won't dare to do that. Woudn't feel good, lol.

Do they rate GT Academy contestants on a one lap run? That's crap. They should rate them on a 10 or 20 lap run. They're giving people a chance to drive a really expensive race car. You would think they want to make sure the driver is not just gonna put in a quick lap and then crash the thing.

There is much more to it than one lap... check the academy pages if you are interested.. 👍 Link can be found in academy thread... wait, it's here.

Spent a bit more time with this (ok, a lot more time), only marginal improvement to show for it:

1'17.280 (still 4th)

Good news is, my DFP pedals are now fixed!

I used to fix my DFP pedals by pulling them apart and rotating the pots around and just generally cleaning them up. That would last for a few weeks.

Oh no, you guys must have pushed me out of the Top 50 now.:indiff: I'll have to have another crack, when is the deadline before we start a new week?

Alrighty I've had another crack and I'm in the top 10 (when I posted this I was anyway?!?) with my best T1 ever of 32.05x. My final lap time:

1'17.509

I lost heaps from T2 - Finish but I'm pretty happy with getting in the top 10 on this uber-competitive comp...no doubt it'll be short-lived though :sly: 👍

Wayne, let's get this under 17, shall we..? (but can we?) :)

edit: lol... wayne can put this under 16... I'll take the 17.

That's my only goal but can't put together a good T1 with the 2 others yet.... :grumpy:

This event is relaxing me from GTacademy, but I have to focus a little more :sly:

I'm sure one of us will do, but who will be first ^^

I'm starting to get frustrated. I'm neck and neck with Timpaaq's ghost until the second hairpin then no matter the 20 different lines I try through the seconend hairpin he pulls away by 2 car lengths.

After the hairpins I have gained on his (old 2'17.15x) ghost many times by as much as 2 or 3 car lengths. (which tells me he can go faster) But it doesn't matter when I've lost half a second through the hairpins.

Last night was just 32.4, 32.3 32.5 32.45 32.6.

But I'm motivated. I'll figure this out and I'll get under the 500 barrier

EDIT: 1'17.562. Very fast after the hairpins. First split was still a slow 32.3xx

EDIT: I'm better when I'm angry and motivated. 1'17.436. Lost alot of time to Timpaaq's 1'17.15x ghost exiting the right hander going into the tunnel. Replay is real pretty and tidy. Never touched the grass or sand.

Might be 1.17 Earth ;)

The key is, like GTAcademy, on the 4 first curves... I now manage plenty of 32.0xx.
You need to push that car to the limit and use the track movements to have more grip and more speed at the exit ;)

I decided to create an updated leaderboard

01. 1'17.074 +0.000 -
Finland.jpg
GTP_Timpaaq 👍
02. 1'17.176 +0.102 -
GBFLAGSMALL.jpg
GTP_Sphinx
03. 1'17.197 +0.123 -
french.jpg
GT5net_Wayne
04. 1'17.280 +0.206 -
USsmall.jpg
GTP_Vaxen
05. 1'17.332 +0.258 -
GBFLAGSMALL.jpg
GTP_MrP
06. 1'17.436 +0.362 -
USsmall.jpg
GTP_Earth
07. 1'17.506 +0.435 -
australiasmall-1.jpg
GTP_MisterWeary
08. 1'17.601 +0.527 -
japansmall.jpg
GTP_Doggyollie
09. 1'17.616 +0.542 -
USsmall.jpg
GTP_Brakefade
10. 1'17.763 +0.689 -
USsmall.jpg
GTP_CWR

EDIT: 24 GTP members in the top 100 and and 6 in the top 10

Good news is, my DFP pedals are now fixed!

How? ..just cleaning? 👍

I did the "tape the wires" trick described here. It anchors the pots so they don't shift in bracket after calibration.

The throttle control has been very precise (well, as good as you can get with plastic parts) since I made the change, though only time will tell how it holds up with heavy use. 👍

Wayne.. my friend came over to visit me so I'll give this a third chance, when I have good amount of time to use.. 👍 ...nice time!!

And Vaxen.. damn, I confuced the paddles and pedals.. lol.

Thanks Earth for that update..!

Improved a bit, now 1:17.760s.
All my best laps I managed to screw up, I know for sure I can do a 1:17.5xxs, maybe better with more experience.

But I'm still losing way too much time on T1, my best is 32.412s. :dunce:

Weary - You've been kicked out of the top 10, get back in your car. :)

may try this out tonight :) Go GTP!

Jerome

Back