The WRC 7 Esports Championship is Now Underway

Very disappointed here that they are only using half of the stages. It seems Kylotonn/WRC are adamant on keeping the rallies under fifteen minutes. All four stages would be roughly 25 minutes, which would make for a much more exciting, varied and challenging competition.

Also disappointed to see the service area. If these two stages were run without service, tire selection would play a big role in the outcome. A missed opportunity IMHO.

I also believe that five attempts are too many. Should be three maximum.

Still looking forward to it. Got a league going based on this with my DiRT Rally buddies in Argentina. I won't be winning an i20 but will certainly have fun competing with my friends in our mini-eSports league.

Best of luck Brendan. I hope you have your hairpin technique sorted ;) there is a section of about 8 in a row on both stages.
Also seems weird to use the porsche in the article picture when the esports will use wrc cars.

For sure there are some things that people disagree with (a lot of people think all stages should be used) but esports wrc is also doing a lot of great things and leading the way. Like I believe they were first to run in conjunction with a real world motorsport series and this season the first to introduce a teams aspect (although we haven't heard much about that)

Not bad considering you binned it. I know what you mean about the Monte, its pretty duanting and easy to get sucked and make a mistake, it's a fine line.

I really wanted to have a go at this myself but due to work commitments couldn't this time.
I hope to on the next round though, it will be good to compare times with other GTP members :)

Not bad considering you binned it. I know what you mean about the Monte, its pretty duanting and easy to get sucked and make a mistake, it's a fine line.

I really wanted to have a go at this myself but due to work commitments couldn't this time.
I hope to on the next round though, it will be good to compare times with other GTP members :)
Yep, I feel like giving it a single attempt also ups the excitement quite a bit.

Very disappointed here that they are only using half of the stages. It seems Kylotonn/WRC are adamant on keeping the rallies under fifteen minutes. All four stages would be roughly 25 minutes, which would make for a much more exciting, varied and challenging competition.

Also disappointed to see the service area. If these two stages were run without service, tire selection would play a big role in the outcome. A missed opportunity IMHO.

I also believe that five attempts are too many. Should be three maximum.

Still looking forward to it. Got a league going based on this with my DiRT Rally buddies in Argentina. I won't be winning an i20 but will certainly have fun competing with my friends in our mini-eSports league.

What they really should do (although highly unlikely) is introduce new stages not already in the game. It would eliminate the ability to practice the stages over and over and memorizing them.

Not that I have a chance of being remotely competitive, I can’t believe I let this round slip past. Looking forward to Germany.

Put in a 9'49"345 on PS4 on my second run. A bit scrappy but the only run I had without a spin/flip. On my fifth run I was on course to shave about 20 seconds from that time but binned it a couple klicks from the end while exiting a slow right-hander and flipped the car :banghead:.

Incredible how fast the Steam players are this year :nervous:

Put in a 9'49"345 on PS4 on my second run. A bit scrappy but the only run I had without a spin/flip. On my fifth run I was on course to shave about 20 seconds from that time but binned it a couple klicks from the end while exiting a slow right-hander and flipped the car :banghead:.

Incredible how fast the Steam players are this year :nervous:

Does the Steam version run at 60fps?

Does the Steam version run at 60fps?

Yes, it does.

#1 on my wishlist for WRC 8 is 60fps on console, even if the graphics have to take a hit.

WRC 6 actually ran smoother for me on the Pro, since the lack of Pro enhancements allowed Boost Mode to activate and it was pretty smooth. Ditto with SLRE. But now that all games have Pro enhancements Boost Mode doesn't kick in to improve the framerate.

Once WRC goes on sale I think I'd like to pick a copy up. How is the force feedback with a wheel such as a TR300rs compared to say Dirt4? It looks like a fun game.

Put in a 9'49"345 on PS4 on my second run.

A mate and I have a bit of a skunkworks project on the go around setting up a G29 handbrake - he's going down the tried and tested soldering in a wire approach, I'm taking a longer view around injecting a "button press" into the usb signal. Technically not possible most will say, but given I have a team of developers here at work I'm going to press on and see where we end up! It's not a work project I might add, and planning that anything that comes from it will be open source and via obtainable parts.

The benefit of the latter approach is that if we get it working we can introduce sequential box button presses too - so the reward for working through this is ultimately pretty big. I'll be sure to post results as we go, but it won't be for a few months...

Rubber-banding the shifter into 3rd gear and setting 4th gear as the handbrake works well.

We hope to come up with a solution that'll help move the community forward, but I have to admit that a low-tech solution appeals a great deal!

First attempt placed me 667th with a 11’34” time. At least that’s the top 1000. Might be able to pick up a few seconds somewhere but that’s about it. But 2.5 minutes? Forget it. :eek: :confused: :ill:

For anyone wanting all the details of how the Germany round unfolded I have you covered:

And if you just want to see fast driving I got you covered as well:

I'm curious, is it faster to choose a different handling option outside simulation? I've played with that since the game came out but in just wondering.

Also, out of curiosity, I ran this week's Esports challenge with the Yaris after using the Hyundai. Why is the Toyota so much slower?! At least it feels that way since the Hyundai blitzed my time despite it being a bit more rough.

I'm curious, is it faster to choose a different handling option outside simulation? I've played with that since the game came out but in just wondering.

Also, out of curiosity, I ran this week's Esports challenge with the Yaris after using the Hyundai. Why is the Toyota so much slower?! At least it feels that way since the Hyundai blitzed my time despite it being a bit more rough.
I don't think choosing something other than simulation will make you faster but tbh I haven't played with that much, the esports mode has enforced settings anyway so you can't change it there (much like you can't turn off damage).
The different cars only have only a slight difference between them, as evident in the fact a few top players use the yaris or citreon, but yeah hyundai seems to be favoured for its being a little faster accelerating I believe.

Finished outside the top 1000 in Sweden. I’ll keep running these events for kicks and giggles but there’s really no point continuing other than to fill my eSport driver card with Steel accomplishment badges.

Which leads me to what’s really the point of participating in all these eSport championships that developers have been throwing at us fast and furiously lately. While the efforts to create events are appreciated, in all honesty the percentage of players with any chance of winning has to be in the fractions of percents. Make it worth the average persons while. Send us a coffee mug or something.

Finished outside the top 1000 in Sweden. I’ll keep running these events for kicks and giggles but there’s really no point continuing other than to fill my eSport driver card with Steel accomplishment badges.

Which leads me to what’s really the point of participating in all these eSport championships that developers have been throwing at us fast and furiously lately. While the efforts to create events are appreciated, in all honesty the percentage of players with any chance of winning has to be in the fractions of percents. Make it worth the average persons while. Send us a coffee mug or something.
Just like most esports events (or traditional sports for that matter) it's a lot about spectators and creating interest in the game rather than giving everyone a chance to actually win. Also the challenge of beating your mates or, like Brendan, doing better than your last result can have a lot of fun factor.

Just like most esports events (or traditional sports for that matter) it's a lot about spectators and creating interest in the game rather than giving everyone a chance to actually win. Also the challenge of beating your mates or, like Brendan, doing better than your last result can have a lot of fun factor.

I took my old Argentine DiRT Rally league and we are using WRC eSports as a base for our own WRC league. We have our own points system, with drivers, manufacturers and team championships. We're having a blast.

@MonkeyMan_707 you look like the only PS4 player with a chance to make the finals.

I finished 265th in the Germany round and although it's obvious I can't compete at the top I had a lot of fun trying to go faster and improve my stage times, especially in the epic stage. I didn't manage to compete in the Sweden round due to work but definitely intend to play the Mexico round.

I want to try and improve on my list placing and hopefully get a little closer to Brend. I think the fun is trying to set your own goal and trying to achieve it.

Last edited:
Back