Things you would like to see in GT5 other than cars?

• Thread starter Inkil
  • 4,066 comments
Okay, I've read tons of fantastic ideas on how to improve the game (except for the NASCAR suggestion, honestly, reading that made my stomache heave) but let's be realistic. Adding these tons of neat but tiny details would be cool, but there's no way they can do all of them, and GT5 *has* to first improve all the glaring flaws first. Sort of a chain-as-strong-as-weakest-link thing. The following absolutely, necessarily, must be done (after they fix these, then the programmers can work on texturing the driver's eyeballs or whatever):

Fix bumping walls/other cars- Most people mention "damage" as the solution. I don't care it they add damage or something simpler such as big speed reduction when hitting a wall, but put something, anything in the game to create a realistic driving challenge that doesn't let the player "cheat" by cutting corners, bumping off walls, slamming the AI cars. (though I kinda understand Sony's point, not everyone who plays this game is, or even apires to be, the world's greatest driver, so if you don't make it easy enough for the casual player you lose buyers).

Internet play- have no clue why this was not top priority. The existence of this forum is evidence enough that the fans of this game are dying to race each other.

Smarter AI- It's an embarrasment that the AI is this weak after the 4th installation of this franchise.

And keep on improving the physics engine.

My theory is that Sony has been able to lag so much on these things because no serious competitors have ever surfaced to challenge GT, which is quite mysterious given the huge popularity. Without competition Sony was allowed to pretty much do as they pleased, but now with Forza and the other games coming out, for GT5 they'll have to do an overhaul of the above mentioned problems to stay on top. That's why my prediction is that GT5 (also since it will be on a new platform) will easily be the best game of the franchise in all categories. I also think it wll be a big change from the first 4 games which, let's face it, were very similar conceptually.

As long I've got my prophet hat on, I further predict that car simulation video games are nearing their peak in popularity, and they'll soon begin to go downhill when they become too realistic for their own good and scare away casual gamers with their complexity. If anyone doubts me, look at the computer flight simulation craze of the 90's, which were extremely popular, until they started coming with 400-pg manuals and buyers ran away like the game had leprosy or something.

I expect to se them all on GT6 :)

Those ideas were like a brainstorm of thinks that would make the perfect simulator, a utopia, but some of them have to be in GT5.

skicrush
I'd like to see certain mods have NO effect unless certain other mods had ben performed, ie. Better brakes having little effect unless better tires are equipped. I guess I'm really looking for some synergy between upgrades. I also think you should be able to combine NA upgrades with Turbo upgrades--you can IRL. You could find combos that give you better torque or peak hp than maxing either one out. And I think engine mods should affect gas mileage. And I'm sure someone has already mentioned including Callaway, Lingenfelter, Henessey, and Saleen as tuners, among others from places besides Japan.
if by combining NA and turbo upgrades you mean changing cams and pistons and such, then they already do this. if you read the scrolling message when you do a turbo upgrade it says they change (cams, pistons, blah blah, fuel pump, gaskets, ecu, related parts, oil pump etc) same thing in NA. you cant use a cam from a NA kit with a turbo kit same same as you couldnt use the same engine managment system. all these parts do different things at different times in the 2 kits. now if they let you turn your own cams, tune your own ECU, that would be great. of course people have already posted those ideas.

pay for fuel like the oil...
more wheels and diferent sizes, 4x4 wheels, wheels are the secret key of GT's
paint shop car
no wings :( or more low profile wings
more events for small cars, like MM-R CUP or JAZZ TROFY,
make the body paints/kits from normal to race body paint/kit like in the first GT or GT2
bether sound from the cars, more agressive sound, racing sound!!!
the sound of turbos, in GT4 the sound its the same in a car befor and after u install a turbo!!!
also a turbo indicator will be nice!!!!
RALLY CARS....YESSSS!!!!...RALLY/SNOW TRACKS!?!?!?!.....NOOOOOOOOO!!!! (please)

and thats all i remenber for now ;)

the gui could really be optimized. While it's pretty, it takes 8million years to pick a car, purchase parts, tune it, and then run the race. I'd much rather kill the tuning garage and the gt auto and the scrolling text and just split into two sections; Info and Settings. I'd also rather pick every part i want and then add it to the car, and then be able to tune it right there, as well as having an on the track quicktune if needed.

Also, i think we've had enough of looking at pretty trophies spin in a circle while the credits get typed in by Walter Matheau. Way too much bs time navigating between races.

edit: oh, it'd also be nice if they had something besides the licensing tests that helped teach proper driving, especially for the special conditions races.

one more thing guys!!!!!

if u whant nascar, F1, indy, etc CARS, buy other games, buy F1 game, buy NASCAR game
GT series its diferent from other games just becouse its a game for street cars, "normal" cars, i say more normal cars...street cars...regular cars...more used cars from 90's and 80's
more europe and american cars

I agree with keeping NASCAR out, being that I loathe NASCAR. But you have to keep the F1 cars in, they're the final achievement of the game, the ultimate racing machines. Makes no sense to remove that.

Not sure if this has been said already, but I'd like to see custom chosen races. Like allowing me to race my BMW M3-GTR against only other GTR's...or again some Mercedes. I want the choice of who I can race against.

id like to see a big fat picture of my house in there :P

Ok in all seriousness now.

I think it would be pretty cool to have better damage.. like if u hit a wall at full speed, ur car is fully stuffed..

Also

What bout a mode where u can be the actual pit crew or the guys on the track who tow the screwed cars away

I think that would be cool to

or even the pace car driver.

Just something that gives us the players something different and more exciting to do within the game but not involve the racing side of things (if you choose not to race)

What do u guys think

Pace car driver? Are you serious? just take a drive around a track at 80kph and see how bored you get. i'd like to see less gimmicks and more features that enhance the hardcore racing - like more cars, better AI and proper damage.

ELgatu
one more thing guys!!!!!

if u whant nascar, F1, indy, etc CARS, buy other games, buy F1 game, buy NASCAR game
GT series its diferent from other games just becouse its a game for street cars, "normal" cars, i say more normal cars...street cars...regular cars...more used cars from 90's and 80's
more europe and american cars

^^This is not a good reason not to have this types of cars represented in the game.

So are you saying that LMP car shouldn't be in the game, because Nascar, F1, Indy and Drag racing cars as LMP cars are variations created based on a vehicle with 4 wheels just like a lot of cars in the game.

Imagine to drive a old F1 Lotus in Nurburgring!!! :drool:

G25RJ
^^This is not a good reason not to have this types of cars represented in the game.

So are you saying that LMP car shouldn't be in the game, because Nascar, F1, Indy and Drag racing cars as LMP cars are variations created based on a vehicle with 4 wheels just like a lot of cars in the game.

Imagine to drive a old F1 Lotus in Nurburgring!!! :drool:

u have games of old F1's in that tracks....but how many games u have whit regular cars?!?!?!??

yes...something like that, i dont see LM's cars like big prioritys....i like the small cars, the cars when whe live house and whe find in the streets every day's....
the car parked next door, the car in the parking subwyas, the car whe sow in the summer,the car when whe go out at night, the cars whe sow with gangasters....thats why i like GT!!!
i prefer much more thoes cars than the LM cars or racing Cars, the only race cars i love to see in the GT4 its the drifting ones

PS: sorry about my english guys, dont try to speak my portuguese ;)

I would like to see some more exterior customization options. For looks, a wing doesnt cut it. A few aero kit options would be great. There should also be a paint job option. Letting the player personally customize in a racing game is always a plus.

I would also like to see some different race classes in certain races. A GT500 and GT300 class would be great in Super GT (JGTC) specific races. That would give you the option to place for each class depending on the car you are driving.

Those are my thoughts...

I would like to see more single model races eg:

1. Mazda 6
2. Aussie Cars
3. Another race series for the Sport Trucks

There would be many others. There seem to be a lot of cars in the game that do not have specific races for them.

One solution to this is to have a Race Series Editor. It could be a bonus that you unlock at either 75% or 100%.

You would specify the tracks, laps etc and the any or all of the following for both your car and the opposition cars:

1. Country
2. Make
3. Family eg Nissan Zs, Mazda rotaries (not all models would have a family as such)
4. Model
5. Year
6. Tires
7. Mods or no mods
8. Maybe hp

etc

It could be that you have to do a set number of these to get 100% (if so restrictions would need to apply) or it just be a bonus gameplay at the end. You could also set up enduros.

You could have the option of the computer selecting the opposition based on some characteristics you select eg you might want similar cars so it would select Mazda rotaries if that is what your car needs to be or you could ask it to select similar performance where if you select no mod 350Z it might choose no mod RX8 as opposition.

g'day gumpy! how are ya olde fella?

I dont like the way the main screen is set up. theres gotta be a quicker way of looking at cars...

ving
g'day gumpy! how are ya olde fella?

I dont like the way the main screen is set up. theres gotta be a quicker way of looking at cars...

Ving - not bad thanks. Obviously come out of retirement to have a crack at GT4 and risk divorce again.

The shortcut keys are a must but we need a few more of them to navigate. It took me a while to realise there was an oil change in the game. LOL.

At least I should not need to do the research I did on GT3 for prize cars.

I assume it has already been mentioned that a save game option in the enduros is a must. I want to A-Spec them but with kids and the like I can not get 24 hours to play the game without them wanting their share of PS2 time ie even pausing the machine will not work as I am only getting a few hours each night and about 1 hour a few mornings before work and the kids like playing the PS2 after school.

I also don't like redoing a 2 race series about 30 times in order to buy a few black cars when they appear. I say give us something hard to do in order to win them eg 75% unlocks additional race series where the prize cars are the special black cars.

I also reckon that if the save during enduros is sorted then the B-Spec should be separate from A-Spec ie need to get 100% A-spec completion and 100% B-Spec completion. The B-Spec should not be as many races as the A-Spec if this was to happen.

I'm not sure if any one said this before but I'd like it to be easier to catch up to the others on those tracks where you have a moving start. I mean, you have to outhorsepower them by at least 300 points to stand a chance(especially on Hnog Kong).
I'd also like to see some more British cars, which were sorely lacking and less Japanese cars. The Skyline is a good car, but 30 examples? Why are there only 4 Aston Martins. Surely the company made more. As for Bentley, Jenson and Triumph etc; all with just one model in the game

DeepPurple
I'm not sure if any one said this before but I'd like it to be easier to catch up to the others on those tracks where you have a moving start. I mean, you have to outhorsepower them by at least 300 points to stand a chance(especially on Hnog Kong).
I'd also like to see some more British cars, which were sorely lacking and less Japanese cars. The Skyline is a good car, but 30 examples? Why are there only 4 Aston Martins. Surely the company made more. As for Bentley, Jenson and Triumph etc; all with just one model in the game

Totally Agree, too many Japanese cars and variations on cars like the Skyline, RX7 and NSX. Rolling start races can be a real pain if there not in a championship series (were you can practice for a good grid position) Hong Kong is my Nemesis at the moment, can't seem to find the right balance between speed and handling.

I still would rather see less cars and variations on interiors, I drive 'in car' only so after awhile all cars seem the same. Maybe limit each manufacturer to 6 to 10 cars each plus any significant racing versions.

I also find the used car showsrooms pretty pointless now at day 300, 80% of cars are japense, maybe there should be different showrooms for regions, such as Europe, USA and Japan and not be date based?

davidg1230
I still would rather see less cars and variations on interiors, I drive 'in car' only so after awhile all cars seem the same. Maybe limit each manufacturer to 6 to 10 cars each plus any significant racing versions.

On the interior (cokpit view) idea, and how difficult it would be to model - don't all the open-top cars have differently modeled dashboards already when the top is down? I only looked at a couple, so maybe there's like 5 variations or something? The interior seems realistic and true to the manufacturer ...

PS: Is it possible to PhotoTravel such a car with the top down?

I would like proper license plates that we can adapt ourselves.

They need to create a "plate maker" area, where we can choose the style, and design that appears on it, as well as the final characters.

Most of the fun in GT, aside from the driving experience, is in seeing cars that we see everyday on our gaming screens....

What could possibly make it better, then seeing your own personal car on-screen, with your actual number/license plate on the back of it?

EddieOutaHell
On the interior (cokpit view) idea, and how difficult it would be to model - don't all the open-top cars have differently modeled dashboards already when the top is down? I only looked at a couple, so maybe there's like 5 variations or something? The interior seems realistic and true to the manufacturer ...

PS: Is it possible to PhotoTravel such a car with the top down?

It does seem odd that PD go all the way in modelling the interiors for the open cars and then still stick with standard dials. I don't necessarily need different dashboards for the cars, just the speedo/dials would be sufficient.

vexd
I would like proper license plates that we can adapt ourselves.

They need to create a "plate maker" area, where we can choose the style, and design that appears on it, as well as the final characters.

Most of the fun in GT, aside from the driving experience, is in seeing cars that we see everyday on our gaming screens....

What could possibly make it better, then seeing your own personal car on-screen, with your actual number/license plate on the back of it?

Another twist on this would be to give your cars a pet name, which would be used in the race titles

davidg1230
I don't necessarily need different dashboards for the cars, just the speedo/dials would be sufficient.

Yeah, it's not so much about exact replication, but rather the view.

Like someone here mentioned to use one view setup for each car type.

Or they could do the NFS:HP2 thing and only concentrate on a couple of "special" prize cars that you get the cockpit view with. I reckon we'll eventually get tired of it too, and start complaining anyway :dopey:

All in all the game's great! Let's not forget, we're all addicted :sly:

Inkil
This thread was thought about when the other two wish lists were all about cars, performance issues, and other sundry items...

Here is a brief list of what I would like to see and why, and please feel free to post your thoughts...

Crash Dynamics... the creators do not need to add polygon counts to the cars, but if you hit the wall at 125mph, you should have to spend money repairing things. Stiffening the chassis doesnt really count. I have worked in the sprint car world for a couple few years now, and I know that if a car is salvagable, it costs $$$ to get it straightened out, to have the damage cut off and new stuff put in, and have the new aluminum panels remade. Crashing the GT-One for example in turn 1 of the Tokyo R race while doing 150+ should do more to the performance of the car instead of bouncing off. alignment should be affected, downforce tweaked, something to lessen the desire to use cars infront of you as brakes, and to help turn tighter, and teach you how to be a better driver. Speaking of using other cars to help brake and turn... perhaps add some AI where if you slam into a car or what not in order to pass, that car makes it tough to pass the next time. kind of like a revenge thing.. and lets talk about how hard it is to even nudge the other cars out of thier line, yet its pretty easy for them to get you sideways in a turn.

Day to Night to Day transitions....
Nurburgring is a sweet track, but persistant daylight for 24hours is unreal...

Anyway. those are my two non-car pieces of this wish list... I would like to see what other non-car wishes you have.

Here is a consolidation of things everyone had some input on. I wish to thank everyone who responded to this thread. Everyone had some really good ideas.

Time of Day changes: Day to Night to Day. this with temperature changes will make racing a little more realistic. If a race is a morning race, the track will be cold, as the day progresses the track will warm up can change how the car responds.

Weather Transitions: Clear skys, partly cloudy, cloudy, rain, fog, snow. Things that would help with the world dynamics and how track performance affects a cars handling.

Track Condition changes: Track Temperature changes during the day or night racing.

Tuning: Better descriptions for what settings do and how they affect other settings. Computer controlled tuning, many cars have a computer chip upgrade, I know racers that use thier street cars to race and they adjust the performance of the car thru the chip itself. Good for racers on a budget. Dyno testing of drivetrains, this would allow you to get ideas on what works and what doesnt work as far as performance. maybe help you learn how to squeeze a few more miles/kilometers per hour out of the car. On track testing, while there is an analyzer ingame, there could be more options to what it shows. I have seen a crew chief use a computer to tell exactly when the driver turned, how many degrees the driver had to turn the wheel, how much load was on the suspension at the time of the turn, and it gave the crew chief an idea how to adjust the suspension of the car in order to make it perform at this peak potential.

Cars: I dont think there is enough that can be said about the cars. Paint schemes, customizable sponsor decals, crash dynamics, open-wheel cars (Formula series), more than 1 or two cars from manufacturers outside of Japan.. I am sorry, Pontiac had more than 2 cars that were popular. the 65 GTO was a popular muscle car, the 1970's Firebirds were popular too, dont forget the 1979 Trans Am that was popularized in "Smokey and the Bandit" movies. Car specific tuning, while the developers did good not to allow a player to build a 1000hp car from a stock Honda Civic, I know that there are tuners out there that will pull whole drivetrains from one car and put them into another just for the increase in performance. This may not be the 'scene' thing, but it does happen. Opponent cars should not be 'tanks' when driving down the road. It is bad when you cant nudge an opponent car out of its line, but it can surely bump you into the sandtraps. This needs to be enabled if damage is enabled. Cockpit view. Dials, guages, lights, windshields that get dirty with bugs and grime, and things of that nature. Car History, bring it back like in gt2 and 3.

Races: More cars on the track. A full field should consist of more than 6 cars. And on certain other tracks like Nurburgring, or sarthe have different classes of cars on the road as well. The LeMans race would take weeks if they raced only one class of car on the track at a time. More tracks that allow you to qualify, restrictions on horsepower, pitstops should be planned before you enter the pits, allowing for minor changes in suspension to compensate for track conditions, etc. Rally race champion ships, on tracks other than circular tracks (bring Pikes Peak back) "Race the Clock" instead of another car on the track.

Tracks: More tracks, more tracks that are for specific classes only. Rally races, get licenses for tracks like Nascar tracks. Daytona hosts several types of racing, not just Nascar. Indianapolis does as well.

AI: More dynamic AI, AI drivers should be able to 'sense' what is in front and behind them when driving and be able to adjust the line they are driving to manuever(sp) around these obstacles, or at least get out of the way to prevent themselves from becoming obstacles.

UI: Short cuts at main menu for important locations. like what was in GT2. Tuning progress needs to be faster. Photomode should allow you to adjust items on the car, hood, doors, lights, etc. Replay theater should have more than play and fast forward. Pause, frame advance, frame back, rewind slow and fast, and more options for camera angles and locations during the replay.

If I have missed anything please feel free to post more of your thoughts. As I get more ideas, I'll consolidate them into this list. Again Thanks to all who have added to this thread.

More on Damage, and why it should be in the game. As a race fan, I have watched everything from my friends kid running micro-sprint cars to traveling to Texas Motor Speedway to watch a weekend of Craftsman Truck, Busch, and Nascar, to watching Sprint cars reach speeds in excess of 190mph on a 1/2 mile dirt oval. And in almost all cases there have been some instances where a car got loose and hit the wall, was bumping other cars down the straights, or had some sort of mechanical failure that caused the car to become damaged in some way. Now the most logical reason I have heard to why damage has not been a part of the GT series has been mostly due to Car count, and having to individually model each car with a super-high polygon count framework to remotely resemble showing damage, you'd only get a game with at most 100 to 200 cars. Also part of that same reason is many car manufacturers do not want you to see what thier car would look like if it were trashed after hitting a wall at a buck and a quarter.
It would probably look something like the viper in the photo. Trashed Viper (Caution, link might take you away from this site, please use your BACK button to return)
Now a simple solution would be forego the modeling, and keep the polygon count as it is, and add a mathmatical equasions that keeps track of things like how hard you hit the wall to careen off and get around a corner, or if you rear-ended that R92CP to bump him into the sandtrap just to take first away from him, and calculated it, and charged the player repair services at the end of the race, that would teach drivers to be more respectful of their car, and of other cars during the race. I talked to a friend of mine that has owned each and every one of the GT games cept 4 and its pre-release varients, and he didnt like the idea of damage or having damage cost money, then I found out why, on his GT2 game, he had completed the max you could complete, had more money than he knew what to do with, and had the cars he wanted, and his racing style was 100% throttle, adjust steering after bouncing off the wall and other cars. That my friends isnt racing. I am sure that he would have gotten discouraged if he was spending tons of money fixing his mercedes after each race, but it might have taught him not to run into stuff.
Right now I am trying to think which of the nfs games had the damage engine in it, might have been hot pursuit 1, but it taught me not to run into stuff. then again it taught me how to look for and use money exploits. But that is another thing. Well I have taken up more than enough space today. Enjoy racing everyone.

Inkil.

gt1... never played
gt2... 98%
gt3... got bored with it.
gt4... 45% and growing.

Good day there, I'm a new member but not new to this fourm. Ihave all series of GT. I have GT4 and is about 60.1% into the game. So, I'm reading alot of folks think the next Gran turismo should have Crash Dynamics. I don't really know if you guys now what your asking for. If Crashes we enabled in the game, you wouldn't win not 1 single race. There is no one who can say they played any of the GT series and say they never hit a wall. So, with that being said. Let say you start a race and hit a wall on your first corner and your car get's damaged. I mean, front axle is smashed in. How can you continue to race and expect to win. As far as Crash dynamics goes for this game or next. It's fine without it. Keep in mine you can only fix a car that has twised metal after a race. It would be unrealistic to get that fixed in a pit. On another note, It probably would be fun to see that happen, but knowing "PD" They like to make the game as realistic as possible. You will not win, ever. NO CRASHES, Besides the cars look to pretty to mess up and you what they say. Once a car been fixed, it's never the same.

Yep!That's what I want!

1.Crash Dynamics-I want the crashing-like real life-you know??
2.Weather(such as rain FALLING)-I want on tracks such as the wet tracks-i want the rain to be falling,or blizzards filling the street up, or windy days that would effect your speed(or help it)
3.Day to Night to Day-I think that would be awesome and cool!!(more interesting too)
4.Lightning-Maybe I could get struck by lightning while driving?? :dopey: lol j/k
5.Time Consuption- Less time consumption used on tuning/suping up cars
6.More AI cars.competitors-smarter,better,more challenging AI

And more that I can't mention at this moment cause I GOT TO LEAVE!!!
lol
L28eT :yuck:

when you win you should be on a stage getting the price you've won :sly: and being escorded to the ride that will be yours. that would be extremely cool :cheers:

Back