Thread of moderate smugness and self congratulation

• Thread starter Renrag39
  • 266 comments
I know it'll last less than 15 minutes but I shall bathe in that short-lived pride :D
IMG_20180304_151525.jpg

Assuming it was you and not just a variation of your name I think you’re top ten on Monza circuit experience?
That record still stands?! I did get Top 10 on the circuit experience but I didn't expect it to last!
EDIT: Yeah, it's long gone by now, but it was one of the high points in my life :)
FB_IMG_1519878507549.jpg

I’m brand new to GT Sport, but have played all GT games from 1 right through to 4, but only on a controller - this is important to note as I’ve only just started with a G29

Now there are also a few assumptions that I’m going to list:-

1. GT Sport provides a reasonably acceptable approximation of how cars behave in real life.
2. The FFB commands that GT Sport provides to the G29 are a reasonably acceptable approximation to the FFB you would experience in a real car.
3. The G29 interperets these FFB instructions correctly and provides a reasonably acceptable approximation of the FFB you would experience in real life.

If those above assumptions are correct then 3 hours of going sideways, mostly involuntarily, around Brands Hatch in a BMW M4 with all assists turned off has taught me more about getting out of shape powerful RWD cars back under control than I learnt in over 20 years of real life driving.

Admittedly that’s not a game achievement, but personally, yeah, that’s something to feel a bit smug about ;)

What a day! I won three races at Interlagos and one at Suzuka and got FIVE POLES at Interlagos!

And just yesterday I posted a topic complaining about never getting poles in Daily races. I am now Dr A! (I don't think I'll be staying there long, but it is nice to be there)

I got wins 10-13 and poles 2-6 today!
Screenshot_20180311-174535.png
Screenshot_20180311-174300.png

I should feel smug because
  • I won a manufacturers race for once
  • I finally won a Dr B race.
  • I won by 0.037 seconds after shaving a 2.5s penalty
  • I won using auto gears, tcs2 and asm.
  • I won in a less favourable evo (which i think is a pure beast round brands hatch).
DSC_0291.JPG

I know it's not much compared to what others have achieved, but the Gr.3 10-lapper on Maggiore Centre was amazing. I was the only one who didn't get penalized, and physically finished 5th, but climbed to 3rd due to opponents dropping places via unserved penalties. Managed to climb back up to SR B, and earn myself another McLaren F1 as a DW gift!

Finally... got a win tonight... first win since ~October.
Full field of all Dr.B/Sr.S on...
Suzuka.
I qualified 3rd with the 991 RSR (2seconds off #10 on the leader board, my best ever)... in a big Corvette sandwich...
1st place and 2nd place were dueling hard for position from the entry into turn 1, and I held back waiting for the inevitable... holding back was allowing 4th to close the gap... concerning... 2nd place got loose all alone out of Degner... wobbled... I eased off, he/she almost gathered it up... but finally could no longer fight it and went out into the gravel in a controlled skid/slide... I got by, and into 2nd...
Had a gap battle with 1st for the next 3.5 laps, I'd gain an itty bitty bit, then, give it back, and so it went for the next 3 laps, thankfully, 3rd and 4th were in their own battle and falling back... ever so slowly...
Leader/pole sitter finally made a mistake through 130R... and... I got by while he/she was recovering (still tank slapping) heading to the chicane... held the gap through lap 5 and pitted for tire/fuel (brain fart and took too much fuel, but, worked out...) ... came out 3rd with the pole sitter on my tail (re: fuel)...
Held position and got the lead back due to the leaders pit stopping at end of lap 6... and, thankfully, during lap 6 the pole sitter makes a mistake and hands me a 5.xx second lead... with 5 to go.
I slowed up my pace just a bit (breath... don't screw up...) to manage tires while 2nd (previous leader, and pole sitter) slowly chipped away at the gap... arg...
With 1 lap to go, the lead down to ~1.0 seconds, and tires in great shape I stepped it up ever so slightly on the last lap...
Win by ~1.3 seconds.

My first win since I was Dr.D/SR.E... yes, I was "that guy".

Oh, ~1300dr points, and, without any fender to fender.(although would have been easy to contact had I not lifted in the 2 "incidents").. Sr remains S, at 99

Last edited:
After weeks of battling up and down in DR B,
I made the decision to not get caught up in battles and focus on getting a better overall race time.
Well 4 race days later I can see the rewards of being a more conservative driver.
Also a bit more effort in qualifying to try to get a top 10 start has also helped a fair bit.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180316-022538.jpg
    Screenshot_20180316-022538.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 11
Back