Thrustmaster T-GT Wheel Thread

It turns out T-GT is simply GT branded PS4 version based on TS-PC and isn't direct drive. I feel...

• Excited - Still a new and the improved wheel for PS4 by Thrustmaster

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Fine - Knew it won't be direct drive all along

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Disappointed - Not a direct drive

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Extremely Disappointed - Not drive drive and poor pedals set

Votes: 15 35.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Someone told me that but then when I checked their FB page it said soon.
👍

No drama.
I had a bit of fun refreshing my memory looking at old articles anyway. ;)

The only thing I found which I hadn't noticed before, and it's a bit late and irrelevant now, was a sentence at the bottom of the T300 page on gran-turismo.com.
"A High-End Model Coming in 2017
In addition to the T300RS GT Edition, there will be also be a special eSport model featuring even more high-end specs than the T500RS, to be sold at the release of 'Gran Turismo Sport' in 2017."
http://www.gran-turismo.com/au/products/peripherals/t300rsgt/

-------------------------

It's hard to go past the name of TGT going by that latest teaser.
I'm not 100% sold on the styling of the wheel.
But the inside of the base could be very interesting.
The pedals could be my biggest issue though, particularly up against the Clubsport V3 or CSL elite.
And especially when I'm almost convinced in getting the new Fanatec.
Hopefully Thrustmaster come up with something to make that decision harder.

Last edited:
Képernyőfotó 2017-06-09 - 18.08.05.png

One of my pet peeves. Why are those Thrustmaster mode switches so flimsy though. I wish they were more projecting and sturdy or able to select via respective buttons. The PS3/PS4 mode switch on my G29 wheel is so small, petty and flimsy it became loose with time and I can no longer select PS3 mode even if I wished. It's now only able to select PS4 mode, don't know if it's just stuck on that mode but for the life of me it's just loose now whereby there is no sturdy click position to be felt where they should be. Fortunately I'm just glad to be able to use it for PS4.
Looking at the mode switch for this new wheel it still doesn't look sturdy to me, just looks like a small, flat, round shape knob which I suspect will give way in a matter of time.

Pretty disappointing if that's the case.
It's exactly what most of us expected, though.

Let's assume TS-PC Racer wheelbase plus T3PA pedal pricing, so say €600-650. And the unique feature is obviously the special knobs which will be fully supported in GT Sport.

ISR reviewed the TS-PC and CSL Elite Xbox variant months ago and said they have similar power, feel, etc... so Fanatec's €520 bundle for the CSL Elite PS4 with 2 pedals is looking like a very interesting option indeed: better pedals than the T3PA and you can add a load cell brake if you want later. The key differences are in the ecosystem (rim choice, quality and pricing, shifter options, pedal options).

Last edited:
I was certainly intrigued to see if it was a DD wheel but there is no way the plastic quick release would have withstood the force of any powerful motor so it was never going to be Accuforce or OSW level.

Those pedals though are seriously disappointing, they need to invest a little in improving those rather than just being functional.

Guess they were all meant to release together with the TS-PC but got held back for GT Sport and Sony probably had a parity clause which meant the XB1 version wasn't allowed to be sold earlier.

If it is a TS-PC, it's a pretty good wheel then.

The strength of a T500 with the smoothness of a T300(but not with it's failures, i hope!).

But the pedals... Oh Gosh, they look terrible!

I was certainly intrigued to see if it was a DD wheel but there is no way the plastic quick release would have withstood the force of any powerful motor so it was never going to be Accuforce or OSW level.
Yup, Fanatec mentioned that their quick release mechanism needs strengthening on the wheelbase side for the coming DD wheelbase, although the rims themselves will work unchanged. But indeed the Thrustmaster plastic screw mechanism likely can't support DD levels of torque.

On the subject of the T3PA... sure they look plastic (and most parts are, including the pedal arms themselves) but they are surprisingly sturdy. In actual use they feel very similar indeed to the T500 / T3PA-Pro pedals, despite the plastic versus metal difference. Of course, in a >€500 "premium" wheel it seems like a bad move to include plastic pedals, especially since the T500 is still for sale with metal ones for <€500.

Edit: reading the Thrustmaster press release, it looks like they will announce the Xbox One variant tomorrow as well as the PS4 one, so this thread title will have to change again unless they are both called T-GT :)

Last edited:
I was wrong.
T-GT has the same motor and power supply as TS-PC Racer

View attachment 652907

Which means that is the same wheel.
I didn't actually look at that video before but now I have if the motor has been moved to the centre then it must be DD otherwise how would it work?

Difficult to say though in the HEART part it looks like it's still on the left.

I didn't actually look at that video before but now I have if the motor has been moved to the centre then it must be DD otherwise how would it work?

No way the same motor as in ts pc could be used in direct drive wheel. The torque of the wheel would be ridiculously low. On Ts-pc and other "normal" wheels they use the gears, belts, pulleys etc to increase the torque while on direct drive wheels the motor has to be strong enough to delivery all the torque by itself.

Last edited:
If it is a TS-PC, it's a pretty good wheel then.

The strength of a T500 with the smoothness of a T300(but not with it's failures, i hope!).

But the pedals... Oh Gosh, they look terrible!
I've seen a few people complain about failed TS-PC's within a few weeks, could just be a few incidents but going by their history I'm staying away from this one for now.

I've seen a few people complain about failed TS-PC's within a few weeks, could just be a few incidents but going by their history I'm staying away from this one for now.

Yeah, i saw that too!

It looks like the power supply fails for no reason, there's even a guy who changed the power supply and it failed 3 days after. Probably something else is causing the failure. But it's still too soon to say if it's a major problem.

If TM screw things up with those wheel too, oh Lord, Fanatec will be very happy!

This is not a Direct Drive wheel for sure.The drive system is most likely the same as TS-PC Racer.The video with TS-PC Racer does not show very clearly the drive system but I see two belts.

No way the same motor as in ts pc could be used in direct drive wheel. The torque of the wheel would be ridiculously low. On Ts-pc and other "normal" wheels they use the gears, belts, pulleys etc to increase the torque while on direct drive wheels the motor has to be strong enough to delivery all the torque by itself.
That's what I thought but the centre mounting of the motor seems wrong.

This is not a Direct Drive wheel for sure.The drive system is most likely the same as TS-PC Racer.The video with TS-PC Racer does not show very clearly the drive system but I see two belts.

Well I'm assuming it's an optical illusion but if it's centre mounted how would that work with the steering spindle because doesn't that need to be quite deep?

Well I'm assuming it's an optical illusion but if it's centre mounted how would that work with the steering spindle because doesn't that need to be quite deep?
Yes in Thrustmaster wheels the wheel spindle(axle,shaft)goes very deep,but in Direct Drive wheels the steering wheel is directly attached to the electric motor shaft.The shaft of this motor is most likely about five millimeters in diameter which is a problem because it is very small.I do not know what else to say,for me everything indicates that it is not DD wheel.

The product of an intense collaboration between Thrustmaster’s engineers and the creators of Gran Turismo®, the new T-GT racing wheel is a powerhouse of highly innovative technologies resulting from in-depth research into all of the sensations required for an ultra-realistic racing experience. This research has been the subject of a number of different challenges conquered by Thrustmaster’s development teams.

The T-GT, a powerhouse of major innovations developed for competition, is based upon three fundamental aspects:
1. The T-GT Servo Base’s tailor-made motorization
2. A Gran Turismo® Sport exclusive: T-DFB
3. The T-GT wheel

First innovation: The T-GT Servo Base’s tailor-made motorization
From the very start, Thrustmaster had a clear understanding that in order to accurately reflect all of the sensations provided by the game for a realistic driving experience – particularly in a continuous manner during long competition sessions – every bit of information is crucial.

T-LIN Force Feedback linearity.

The wheel’s power setpoint is completely accurate and 100% proportional, providing a linear response perfectly in line with the Force Feedback commands issued by the game.
The T-GT has been fine-tuned to give exceptionally precise indications to the driver: there is absolutely no over-compensation or under-compensation, for incredibly lifelike force rendering.
Cars’ behavior and track conditions are faithfully reproduced – instantly, along with all accompanying details – throughout long gaming sessions. This enhances drivers’ ability to anticipate what’s coming up ahead in order to improve their performance, break records and win races.

The T-40VE custom brushless motor.

This need for lifelike linearity pushes the boundaries of the motor’s power: that’s why the motor combines velocity, instant responsiveness and intense torque on a constant basis, no matter how many hours the wheel is used for, or how long you’re competing. The wheel provides more refined Force Feedback and stall force – particularly by way of allowing for more simultaneous effects – than was possible in previous generations. The wheel is able to handle considerable power peaks without any reductions in terms of force output.

The T-40VE motor – specially designed, developed and manufactured by Thrustmaster’s R&D teams – meets these needs thanks to T-MCE (Motor-Cooling-Embedded – patent pending) technology, which manages heat transfer and dissipation more efficiently than ever before. The T-40VE incorporates this cooling system right in the very heart of the motor, in a highly constrained and enclosed environment. This combination ensures constant precision in terms of rendering of the T-GT’s performance and effects throughout racing sessions, allowing the driver to experience the full complexity of sensations.
This motor and its innovative cooling system – combined with the optimized T-FOC (Field Oriented Control) algorithm with Hall effect sensors (another of Thrustmaster’s patented technologies) – has the advantage of instantly sensing the wheel’s position with unrivaled accuracy. The wheel dynamically optimizes the response to intense torque demands with lightning-fast speed, switching and avoiding any losses of power.

Second innovation: A Gran Turismo® Sport exclusive: T-DFB

With the same goal of providing even more genuine car racing sensations, T-DFB (Depth Feedback) – a major innovation – introduces a new dimension with respect to Force Feedback.
As a complement to standard Force Feedback, this unique, completely novel system adds a new range of effects including tire adherence (grip or slippage) in understeering and oversteering, mass transfers, road textures and irregularities, suspension and other parameters specific to each vehicle and circuit.
This unique system is a Gran Turismo® Sport exclusive. Polyphony Digital® has encoded all of these parameters and incorporated this new information into the T-DFB system, for a level of in-depth sensations in the steering column that’s never been possible until now.
In this way, these two different worlds – racing simulation, and real-world racing – are coming closer together than ever before. The T-GT is a “Real Simulator” in the truest sense.

Third innovation: The T-GT wheel
In addition to these specific sensations and overall feel, in order to create the most lifelike wheel possible, the T-GT now lets drivers be even more responsive in terms of adjusting their car’s settings on the fly during races, without losing a precious millisecond of driving time.

The T-GT wheel features:
• 4 rotary selectors, for direct control of 4 key settings: brake balancing, control of anti-skid systems, torque distribution allocation, and fuel injection mapping.
• 25 possible action buttons: an amount never before available on PS4™.
• 2 customizable mini-sticks: for faster navigation through menus, in photo mode, and more… or for interior cockpit views and peripheral vision.
• Leather specially selected in terms of its grain: the decision was made to select a very smooth texture, among the types and textures of leather available – to facilitate drifting in particular, in the same way as wheels on real race cars. Seams and stitching have been designed to be as inconspicuous to the driver as possible. The leather’s stitching pattern and positioning – avoiding the thumb-rest zone – makes a huge contribution in terms of handling comfort.

The T-GT will be available for purchase to coincide with the launch of the game Gran Turismo® Sport, at a suggested retail price of £699.99.

The T-GT will be composed of the T-GT Servo Base, the detachable T-GT wheel, the custom T-TURBO toroidal power supply, and the three-pedal T3PGT pedal set.

To find out even more about all of the wheel’s different features and the unique experience that it makes possible, be sure to check out T-GT’s website:

http://t-gt.thrustmaster.com

boxcontent2.png

Last edited:
Back