Time Trial Discussion [Archive]

• Thread starter El_Beardo
  • 2,194 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder why it's so hard for someone at PD to program instant lap invalidation whenever you touch a wall. Forget penalties, forget time gained per sector. One touch and it's a red lap, you don't go on the leaderboard. It's as clear cut and black & white as things can be. And no need to serve a time penalty because people will just restart anyway, it's not a race. Was really looking forward to enjoying this week because Tokyo Central is one of my favourite layouts and finally we get a competitive event on dirt but nope, it's turned into a wallriding fiesta :grumpy: The top replay for Tokyo even has the guy serving a penalty WITHIN the lap, but the advantage from wallriding is even more than the penalty. What a joke.

I wonder why it's so hard for someone at PD to program instant lap invalidation whenever you touch a wall. Forget penalties, forget time gained per sector. One touch and it's a red lap, you don't go on the leaderboard. It's as clear cut and black & white as things can be. And no need to serve a time penalty because people will just restart anyway, it's not a race. Was really looking forward to enjoying this week because Tokyo Central is one of my favourite layouts and finally we get a competitive event on dirt but nope, it's turned into a wallriding fiesta :grumpy: The top replay for Tokyo even has the guy serving a penalty WITHIN the lap, but the advantage from wallriding is even more than the penalty. What a joke.
PD should bring back the invalid lap like in was in GT6 Time Trials, which is a better idea than getting a time penalty.

PD should bring back the invalid lap like in was in GT6 Time Trials, which is a better idea than getting a time penalty.
So for two small hits in my lap should invalidate the time?
In track like tokyo, I think that would be too harsh??
If you get penalty, then invalidate...
Allthou you can wallride last corner and get penalty after finish line, still that lap counts.

I just watched both 1st place replays for Tokyo and Sardegna coincidentally by the same driver and wow!!! PD needs to fix this or just scrap them all together because those top laps are garbage and only highlight how flawed the penalty system is... what a waste of time to think you can try to run these clean and still stay competitive :lol:

I just watched both 1st place replays for Tokyo and Sardegna coincidentally by the same driver and wow!!! PD needs to fix this or just scrap them all together because those top laps are garbage and only highlight how flawed the penalty system is... what a waste of time to think you can try to run these clean and still stay competitive :lol:

Yes I agree, complete garbage, but stupid fun. There's an art to wall banging.

The solution involves activating mechanical damage, penalizing anyone who hits the wall front and not just when scraping the wall ...
and if by chance all invalid times, including mine, are erased, I even prefer to make clean laps, I go down + - 0.700s for my best time, and I am very convinced that I continue to remain in the first frame ... however, it would be fairer to everyone. The best times on asphalt also do not use walls.
Funny to see that these two events from the beginning are with identical numbers (today Integrale 6.200 Taycan 6.100) something that never happened in previous events where the difference was the double (most played 20, 22.000 - least played 9, 10.000)

It almost seems that the time trials are an advertisement from PD about what a garbage piece of engineering the penalty system is. If I completed my job with that same quality I would be fired!!! Are competent game developers that hard to find??

I don't spend my energy to hate game or players. I just don't agree with the fact that the big majority of fair players just wanting to have fun are unable to take part of the TT just because of a minority of cheaters .

Fair players are not 'unable to take part', they can run it, just don't expect to get anywhere near the wall riden laps, lol.

Thank you thanks to you the game will evolve positively and this behavior will not be possible! you remained a shame for the honest players !!
Why so serious bro? Thanks to me? Are you forgetting the other wall riden laps? Just because I am currently in P1 doesn't mean I started it... Tone it down a bit yeah?

I highly doubt many of the other wall riders have the same skill set as you holl01... you really don't have to wall ride when you know you can beat 90% of the field with your eyes shut.. hence why my confusion as to why you do it in the first place?

It's not really that big a deal for me and just hope to see you go back to being clean and super fast the way we remember you from the old days 👍

Maybe they could move the walls further away :lol:

If you dont have to cheat then why did you?? Did you cheat to impress us with your skills at finding a loophole??? Impressive work, detective!!!

I am not here to impress you, and I didn't find any loophole, I merely improved on one's found by others.

New loopholes have been found so I must get back to it champ, P1 reclamation awaits:)

Wall-bashing surely isn't a pretty sight to see, but PD's lax enforcement of track limits is nothing new. There are many places where you can put four wheels out of the track to gain time, yet nobody really bats an eye about that anymore. So many different standards when it comes to it, where do we draw the line?

I can sympathize with Holland in a way: last week on the Honda Beat Daily at Yamagiwa, i worked really hard for a clean 06.5 on that difficult combo early in the week, only to be beaten by a chicane-cutting schmuck hours before the daily closure. PD didn't cared about eliminating these laps, so yeah, i reclaimed my spot doing the same thing, just to deny him the undeserved top spot (@Doodle was the rightful #1, though). I'm not proud of that, i'm not sure if Holland reasoning was the same, but it happened, it's wrong anyway, i own it.

In the end, if everyone behaved, we wouldn't need rules. Yet, they are there for a reason, on every sport. If you don't enforce them, we get these kind of situations...

Wall-bashing surely isn't a pretty sight to see, but PD's lax enforcement of track limits is nothing new. There are many places where you can put four wheels out of the track to gain time, yet nobody really bats an eye about that anymore. So many different standards when it comes to it, where do we draw the line?

I can sympathize with Holland in a way: last week on the Honda Beat Daily at Yamagiwa, i worked really hard for a clean 06.5 on that difficult combo early in the week, only to be beaten by a chicane-cutting schmuck hours before the daily closure. PD didn't cared about eliminating these laps, so yeah, i reclaimed my spot doing the same thing, just to deny him the undeserved top spot (@Doodle was the rightful #1, though). I'm not proud of that, i'm not sure if Holland reasoning was the same, but it happened, it's wrong anyway, i own it.

In the end, if everyone behaved, we wouldn't need rules. Yet, they are there for a reason, on every sport. If you don't enforce them, we get these kind of situations...

I am too lazy to write the above novel, but you pretty much summed it up. If the combo is broken from the start, you have a few options, drive it clean for Ur own personal satisfaction and forget about challenging for the win, or, you just go along for the ride and cheat, the more people that cheat, maybe the greater chance PD will notice and actually remedy the combo, like they did for a Good Wood TT some months ago.

I'm not really bothered about the whole exploiting of the penalty system or wall banging things. I believe that people have the right to play the game they way they want to play it. As mentioned before, there are benefits to people finding these exploits. The more people who do it and bring it to the attention of Polyphony Digital, the more likely that you'll see these get fixed in a future update. Though I don't know how likely this specific one will get fixed or not, since wall banging has been a thing on all of the dirt tracks since day 1. Of course that means it unfortunately ruins the leaderboards for those who prefer to drive in a more realistic manner. At least these are being done in a time trial mode and not in the FIA races. :lol:

Considering I've played quite a lot of arcade racing games in my life, it honestly fascinates me to see what's possible if you exploit games to the absolute limit. There is definitely an "art" to exploits like wall riding and wall banging. From my experience and also from watching some of @TRL_holl01 's laps in the past, getting an optimal bounce off the wall is actually extremely difficult, and can shave multiple tenths over a not so good bounce. It's really interesting to see how something that can look so simple can actually be extremely difficult to optimize. Despite my interest in seeing how these things work, I still prefer to just drive the track closer to how it was intended to be driven.

PD didn't cared about eliminating these laps, so yeah, i reclaimed my spot doing the same thing, just to deny him the undeserved top spot (@Doodle was the rightful #1, though). I'm not proud of that, i'm not sure if Holland reasoning was the same, but it happened, it's wrong anyway, i own it.
This is why I've said in the past I feel the PSN rule prohibiting using unintended game mechanics is actually unhelpful, as it prevents rule-abiding people from competing on a level playing field. I was looking forward to having a go at that race A qualifying TT, but as soon as the exploit emerged, it meant I couldn't do it, because of that PSN rule I'd have had to break to compete on a level playing field. Doing an honest time that would trash my K' speed score would be pointless, so that's another daily race I had to sit out after they also failed to properly fix the Spa problem. IMO it would be better to simply allow people to set the best time they can, within what the game permits. If they want to change what the game permits to address laps they don't like the look of, fine, but while we wait for them to do that, let's have a level playing field by allowing everyone to compete on the same terms.

As of the current rankings, I cracked into the top 250 in Tokyo & top 550 at Sardegna (with an N300 setup) without touching a wall/barrier (using gamepad. ABS default, & TCS 0/off).

2x3cld1nvtr21.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back