Tokyo Game Show

• Thread starter Earth
  • 262 comments
I'm pretty sure the Sony execs said a few weeks back that there was going to be an announcement for the GT Series in the very near future" or something like that. Anything past 3 weeks is not "very near future" so when are they going to announce something? Either an update for GT5 or the next Gran Turismo? Or has the typical PD delaying already started before even telling us.

Message to PD: You seriously need to start sorting your **** out because it is going beyond a joke. You will lose all your fans if you keep up what you are doing now. So please do something good before it's too late because people are sick of waiting, this is an industry with competitors you know.

I'm pretty sure the Sony execs said a few weeks back that there was going to be an announcement for the GT Series in the very near future" or something like that. Anything past 3 weeks is not "very near future" so when are they going to announce something? Either an update for GT5 or the next Gran Turismo? Or has the typical PD delaying already started before even telling us.

Message to PD: You seriously need to start sorting your **** out because it is going beyond a joke. You will lose all your fans if you keep up what you are doing now. So please do something good before it's too late because people are sick of waiting, this is an industry with competitors you know.
Without doing anything, PD is "already delaying".

:0

That's an amazingly pessimistic message, especially when this is based on the assumption that they aren't working on "sorting (their) **** out".

Well from what I read on the email Sony sent me, it said the new PS3 is more powerful and lighter than before. Hint hint more power = GT6 demands could be met

alexlam24
Well from what I read on the email Sony sent me, it said the new PS3 is more powerful and lighter than before. Hint hint more power = GT6 demands could be met

So that would mean everyone else would be out of luck?

I dont think you can read into it that much.

alexlam24

Uh, what about those with older ps3? What you just said makes no sense.

The "more powerful" they are referring to most likely has to do with the increased HD capacity. There is going to be a 500GB HD availiable. I don't know that I would call that "more powerful" or not. It's some clever marketing at best.

^Or Sony is banking that the average consumer is either technologically inclined as grandma, or they have poor reading comprehension skills.

So the Super Slim will not even have a slightly improved RAM? I doubt that. The 256MB RAM of the current latest gen PS3 is just ridiculous. And so is the amount of freezes you get when you use features outside of gaming (Internet browser especially), I mean even the Vita has 512MB RAM and that's one way smaller, lighter console than a PS3 as well, so if they got the technology at affordable costs (how ridiculous that sounds considering latest PC tech), why wouldn't they implement it if they rework the console anyway?

Because consoles are non moving targets as far as development goes.

If they increased the RAM in the new one, no one could use it because their game wouldn't work on the other 67 or so million PS3's.

Because consoles are non moving targets as far as development goes.

If they increased the RAM in the new one, no one could use it because their game wouldn't work on the other 67 or so million PS3's.

Not true. RAM wouldn't do that. Programmer don't build off of RAM. RAM is one thing that you can change as many times as you want. It's the cpu architecture that you can't.

That's why if the PS4 is going to be X86, PD will have to start from scratch with GT6, IF it's going to be a PS4 game.

Not true. RAM wouldn't do that. Programmer don't build off of RAM. RAM is one thing that you can change as many times as you want. It's the cpu architecture that you can't.

That's why if the PS4 is going to be X86, PD will have to start from scratch with GT6, IF it's going to be a PS4 game.

A 256ram PS3 won't handle a game that's intended to run on a 512ram PS3. Not only it'd run a lot slower but also bsods will be common.

A 256ram PS3 won't handle a game that's intended to run on a 512ram PS3. Not only it'd run a lot slower but also bsods will be common.

Yes, but all the other features of the PS3 would run a lot smoother. I mean, try to go into the XMB, start a song from the music menu, than start the Internet browser and surf around the web. I'll give you 10 minutes until the first console freeze appears which forces you to hard boot your PS3. Or simply visit a website which contains lots of high quality images like even just a page of an average photo gallery on here. On the PS3 browser more than half the pictures will disappear (ironically only once the page finished loading, while the loading circle is up in the right corner you can still see them) and will be shown as a blank surface with a red X in the middle. This effect happens a lot more when listening to background music. So it's pretty obvious such simple tasks (play music or show .jpg files on a website in the browser) use much of the RAM already. Sometimes I really wonder how the PS3 manages to play ANY game.

Also, all current PS3 games are designed to run on 256MB RAM anyway, so why would developers change that? What rather would change are the loading times on the Super Slim, they would be a lot shorter, which would make the console more attractive to buy.

Of course. I was referring to games already released.

*edit
I re-read the person's post I quoted. It seems I previously thought he was referring to the games in the world that already has been released, not working on a 512mb PS3.

So like how the PSP Slim had better performance than the original PSP when they doubled its RAM, even though games weren't specifically designed to take advantage of it?

So like how the PSP Slim had better performance than the original PSP when they doubled its RAM, even though games weren't specifically designed to take advantage of it?

Yeah, one of the main purpose of increasing the RAM on the PSP slim was to decrease loading times. Other than that, none of the future games were really actually optimized for that extra RAM, otherwise PSP-1000 owners won't be able to play them without getting a headache.

Back