UEFA Champions League Thread [Archive]

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 4,646 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
If an outsider makes it through the groupstage it's already something. Usually the group consists of 2 big clubs, one not so big club and one pure poo.

Edit.

And that's because first of all the qualification for the tournament is flawed. 4 "champions" from one country? And this year we had 5 from Spain.

And second, the draw is just as bad. Just chuck them all in one bowl and go!
Actually the league option vs group stage makes sense to me. All team should be allowed to play each other twice. Period

Champions League is back this week with the quarter finals

Tuesday
Barcelona v Atletico Madrid
Bayern Munich v Benfica

Wednesday
Paris St-Germain v Man City
Wolfsburg v Real Madrid

Saturday's 'clasico' could be a big mental blow to Barca give Atletico some hope. Still a tough bet. I know both teams will fight tooth and nail but I still cannot see Atletico advancing.

Really looking forward Wednesday's PSG v Man City match.

Torres scores and then gets sent off for a hard tackle. I knew Atletico would be pressuring hard but if they keep making these stupid mistakes it'll only make it easier for Barca.

Meanwhile Bayern seem to have everything under control vs Benfica.

Been really impressed how Atletico can breakdown Barca's attack so easily and control the pace of the game.

Irresponsible action towards his team. Hard to blame him for what just happened though, to hold Barca to a single goal lead is a feat by itself, even with 11 men, and I'm not even a fan myself.

Benfica lost againgt Bayern. Clearly a much stronger team from the midfield onward. But each time Benfica passed those pressure lines they had lots of trouble defending, specially corners and long throw-in's. We managed to scare Bayern 3 times which it gives me hope as Benfica in home turf is stronger.

We suffered a stupid goal though. Friday we suffered the same exact action but it wasn't a goal.

Our goalkeeper, dare I say, one of the best in Europe considering it only is 22 years old.

I haven't seen Barça-Atletico unfortunately.

44 in 45 for Suarez this season now, second was a fantastic header!

Great shot but a better stop by Hart. Now that's how you stop a penalty!

Meanwhile in Germany, Wolfsburg just scored on a PK vs RM. 1-0

EDIT: PSG is handling the ball very well. Man City look clueless

EDIT 2: Great counter by Man City! David Luiz is just a wig running around :lol: 1-0 Man City

Last edited:
De Bruyne scores a nice one for Man City.

Zlatan scores the best goal of the tournament. :lol:

Reactions: DK
Good result for City in an entertaining game, Wolfsburg beat Real 2-0!

I'll take that result anyday. Thought City's second goal was lucky but 2-2 was a fair result. If City progress to the semi finals, then I may start to believe we can win it until we get drawn against Barcelona or Bryan Munich.

Second Legs this week

Tuesday
Man City v Paris St-Germain (2-2)
Real Madrid v Wolfsburg (0-2)

Wednesday
Atletico Madrid v Barcelona (1-2)
Benfica v Bayern Munich (0-1)

My predictions: Man City and Wolfsburg make it through.

For Wednesday, Barca and B...B...Benfica! I wanna give those underdogs the benefit of the doubt :)

PSG and Man City. Completely open game and to add to it, Kompany is injured but PSG are without Veratti, Matuidi & Luiz and we could see Spurs flop Stambouli come in.

Real Madrid are still in it despite the two goal deficit. Also at home, anything can happen.

I can't see Benfica proceeding. With no Jonas, their attacking threat are extremely limited. Especially when they are goal behind to one of the best defences in the competition.

Barca losing to Real Sociedad in the league last week. We could see a good tie.

As a true City fan I believe PSG will go through to the semi-finals and we'll be given another lesson in football.

But on the other hand after the performance in Paris last week, who knows. I'll cheer them on regardless! Come on City!

Wow so Real Madrid really turned around the game in less than 2 minutes! Tied globally right now but we'll see how the Germans react.

Meanwhile Man City is in a great position with a 0-0 tie. One goal would make a ton of difference though, it would almost guarantee a pass to the semi-finals for either team.

Pastore is coming on. Much needed for another creative player for PSG as Aurier comes off.

So they look to play a 3-5-2.

What a great set of matches we just had. Man City making it to the semifinals of the CL for the first time (kinda glad since I like Pellegrini and as an Argentine I support our four guys there). And RM showing why they should never be counted out. I am guilty of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back