UEFA Champions League Thread [Archive]

• Thread starter DQuaN
  • 4,646 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Rotch
I wasnt aware that being upset because the game winning goal wasnt legit is now considered "bad losing".
No. I was referring to the way he was handling the press conference by seemingly off-loading every problem onto Mourinho, when in fact Mourinho wasn't at fault in most instances. Yes, Mourinho is an asshole, but Eto'o did not play his cards correctly at that press conference.
Mike Rotch
Thats quite a lame statement. Basically you are excusing this controvery based the amount of controversy surrounding Chelsea in the past. Thats like saying "Oh well, that guy just robbed that lady. But its ok, he robs all the time."
I'm simply making a general statement, basically half-laughing at the fact that something always has to happen with Chelsea. I was in no way excusing them of what they have done in the past and in that game.
Mike Rotch
Quite right, if you would please show me where I said the contrary I would appreciate it - in the context of your reply, you make it sound like i did.
I'm sorry, but I fail to see where I was directing any of the statements in my previous post towards you. If you would please show me where I was talking to you in that whole post I would appreciate it.
Mike Rotch
So first Chelsea arent a bad team. Now Barca is a team with a bad defence. That implies chelsea werent good to have scored. Well which is it? Did chelsea come across a bad defence, or where chelsea just playing great football against a good defence?
Are you kidding me? Do you have a sense of humour Mike? I'm making a sarcastic comment against what Eto'o had said about Chelsea.

Mike, please quit nit-picking at everything I post and twisting the meaning of what I'm saying around. You have successfully twisted everything I have said in order to make me look like a fool. Was it really necessary? No, it wasn't.

3849.jpg

I was simply refuting your soccer related statements to which I didnt agree. But, if you have issues other then soccer to chew the fat about, my PM is always open :)

they do look like a good team. And they've got that fantastic brazilian freekick taker.
And that awesomes Arsenal striker who should never have left :grumpy:

Its funny how Real are really nothing more then an average team nowadays. My prediction is an Italian champion this year 👍

Bayern Munich and AC Milan? Shevchenko is back. Chelsea could sneak in with Robben back now. Juventus are a good chance, but I don't think they can get in.

I think the finals will include twoof the following:

• Bayern Munich
  • AC Milan
  • Chelsea

Bayern V Juve and Chelsea V AC would be an amazing semi round of games.

Don't know why but i have got a feeling Liverpool may reach the final.

Just a hunch but it may happen. Look at Porto and Monaco last year

Chelsea V Bayern
I'm very indifferent towards this match, but I think Chelsea will edge them out just. Should be a good contest, though.

Liverpool V Juve
Juve by a long way. Liverpool have too many problems, and I don't think Kewell will even be playing. Plus, the fact that Juve is a hell of a good team is another thing...

AC Milan V Inter
AC Milan. They've been the only team to beat Inter in Serie A, and they'll do it again.

Lyon V PSV
Lyon by far. They are really awesome this season, and a very sneaky team to watch. PSV don't have a chance in my opinion.

-----

Predictions For Semi-Finals:
Chelsea V Juve
AC Milan V Lyon

Predictions For Finals:
Chelsea V AC Milan

Chelsea win? God I hope so.

I can predict a lot of things. What i am going to have for lunch counts among them :1millionpounds:

Losing Gerrard is a major blow for Liverpool. With him they had a chance, without.........👎

Race Idiot
Anyway, the second leg for the Bayern v Chelsea and Juve V Liverpool Matches are today. I'm looking forward to the game and I hope we can win, or at least hold for a draw. I'd like us to keep a clean sheet.

Liverpool are without Gerrard, but Alonso (Xavi, not Fernando) is back but will he be fit enough to make a difference?

Liverpool match is tomorrow night isn't it?? My money is on Chelsea to go through, but Liverpool to go out... still, Bayern are well capable of a 2-0, but if Chelsea score at all, then Bayern will have problems... scoring 3 or more against Chelsea is beyond even them I think...

Bayern Munich 3-2 Chelsea
Chelsea win 6-5 on agg

Milan game ended by crowd trouble

AC Milan have been provisionally awarded the quarter-final tie against Inter Milan after it was abandoned amid ugly scenes of crowd trouble.
The game was halted after Inter fans threw flares and bottles, one of which hit goalkeeper Dida on the shoulder.

The troubled started when Inter, 3-0 down on aggregate after Andriy Shevchenko's first-half strike, saw Esteban Cambiasso's effort ruled out.

Play resumed for 30 seconds after a delay before being abandoned.

Uefa is likely to confirm on Wednesday that the tie will be awarded to Milan, while Inter can expect to face severe sanctions by European football's governing body.

The game had got off to a controversial start after Shevchenko appeared to headbutt Marco Materazzi in the second minute.

Neither the referee, Markus Merk, or his assistant spotted the offence so Shevchenko got away with the headbutt and remained on the field.

Should Uefa investigate Shevchenko's headbutt on Materazzi, the Milan forward could be charged with violent conduct which could rule him out of both semi-final legs.

Jimmy Enslashay
Lyon V PSV
Lyon by far. They are really awesome this season, and a very sneaky team to watch. PSV don't have a chance in my opinion.

OWNED!!!

Juventus 0-0 Liverpool
Liverpool win 2-1 on aggregate

Liverpool sealed an all-Premiership Champions League semi-final with Chelsea after a superb display.
Rafael Benitez's injury-ravaged side delivered a performance of discipline and resilience to protect their 2-1 lead from the first leg at Anfield.

PSV 1-1 Lyon
2-2 on agg, PSV win 4-2 on penalties

PSV set up a Champions League last-four clash with AC or Inter Milan by beating Lyon 4-2 on penalties in Eindhoven.

I watched the Liverpool game. Juve just seemed so disinterested int he whole thing. One wouldnt have known they are leading the Serie "A" at the moment from that performance.

ROME (Reuters) - Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi urged a crackdown on soccer violence on Wednesday after the latest outbreak of hooliganism left Inter Milan facing heavy punishment from the game's ruling body in Europe.

UEFA's disciplinary body will meet on Friday to decide Inter's fate after a barrage of flares and other missiles forced the referee to abandon their Champions League game with city rivals AC Milan on Tuesday.

The shameful scenes were an ominous warning for the authorities in Turin where Juventus face Liverpool in a high-risk Champions League tie on Wednesday, overshadowed by memories of the Heysel Stadium disaster in 1985.

A minority of Juventus supporters are threatening revenge at the Stadio Delle Alpi after 39 mainly Italian spectators were killed in Brussels following a charge by Liverpool fans before the European Cup final almost exactly 20 years ago.

Tuesday's scenes in Milan were only the latest this season to tarnish the reputation of Italian football which is campaigning to host the European championship in 2012.

Clashes with police at several grounds last weekend, the waving of swastikas and fascist banners by Lazio fans and a seemingly endemic racism among the hard-core "ultras" proved too much for the country's premier on Wednesday.

Berlusconi, who owns AC Milan, told Interior Minister Giuseppe Pisanu that he could use "drastic measures" to curb the spate of violence and counter "the risk of even more serious incidents" in the future.

CLOSED DOORS

Pisanu had warned Italian clubs earlier this week he might force them to play potentially troublesome games behind closed doors - a measure which Berlusconi now looks to have endorsed.

UEFA will be quicker in dealing with Inter, who can expect little mercy after being banned from San Siro for two matches after crowd trouble during a UEFA Cup game against Spanish club Alaves four years ago.

Inter were also banished from San Siro - which it shares with AC Milan - for two games by Italian officials later in the same season after their supporters threw a motor scooter from the second tier during a league game against Atalanta.

On Tuesday, their team were losing 1-0 on the night and 3-0 on aggregate when the missiles rained down, with one of the flares hitting Milan's Brazilian goalkeeper Dida.

UEFA are likely to opt for a closed-doors ban, with all fans excluded from several home games, matching the punishment meted out to Inter's Serie A rivals AS Roma after their Champions League game with Dynamo Kiev was called off last September.

Swedish referee Anders Frisk abandoned that game after he was hit by an object thrown from the Stadio Olimpico crowd.

Attempts are being made to improve the situation in Italy, notably with an experiment later this year at Udinese's ground to have a reduced police presence but plenty of safety stewards.

Barriers separating fans from the pitch will also be removed and there will be tighter monitoring of tickets, which officials hope will eventually bear the holder's name.

Such measures will not come soon enough for Wednesday's game in Turin where the police presence has been strengthened in the run-up to a tinder-box encounter.

Tension is already running high in a city where one Liverpool fan was attacked overnight by a group of Juventus supporters apparently on a concerted midnight hunt for trouble.

Turin authorities, who host the Winter Olympics next year, will clearly want to show they can deal with a potentially volatile situation.

A) The Italian PM owns AC Milan?
B) HTF did they smuggle a moped into the stadium? :odd:

Mike Rotch
A) The Italian PM owns AC Milan?
B) HTF did they smuggle a moped into the stadium? :odd:

That's unbelievable. I mean Fireworks & flares are bad enough but what reason can you have for bringing a moped into the stadium. The toilets can't be that far away.

pimpin_t
That's unbelievable. I mean Fireworks & flares are bad enough but what reason can you have for bringing a moped into the stadium. The toilets can't be that far away.

Nevermind that, how'd they get it in?

Guard: "Ela! Whatsa that under your jacket, eh?"
Ultra: "Nottin, itsa justa biga pizza"
Guard: "Ok, go."

Motson: "And it looks like Juve are bringing on a sub.... yes, it's Lambretta..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back