Update 1.20 crashed my PS3

• Thread starter Kurleemac
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
Kurlee66
I did the update just fine. Went to do the Goodwood challenge, drove about two seconds then my system just turned off and won't turn back on. Anyone else have this happen or know of how to fix? Thanks!

What does it do when you press the power button? Nothing at all? Does it turn on, beeps three times and shuts off?

Ruling out a failed HHD is easy. Remove the HHD and then turn the system on. If you see an error message on the screen then replace it and you should be good to go; from scratch though.

They said to hold the power button until you hear three beeps and then try to use it. If you can't get that to work, call Sony for further information.

If it doesn't stay on after you remove the hard drive then you have another issue, and my guess would be the YLOD. To get back in a working state you'll have to reflow it, just look it up on YouTube if you don't know what that is. Once you get familiar with the process it becomes really easy. I buy PS3s off eBay and fix them myself. Reflowing and applying new thermal paste ( I use Arctic Silver 5) is only half the job as the YLOD will happen again, it will only be a matter of time. To extend the life of the PS3 I install a fan controller to keep a constant high volume of air flowing though the power supply and heatsink. It's called PS3 EZ Chill.

Back